PDA

View Full Version : doomed prestige class.

grahammaddux
2015-04-06, 06:12 PM
does any one remember a prestige class that was fated to die at lvl 10? anD what sourcebook that was from?

Venger
2015-04-06, 06:13 PM
risen martyr. book of exalted deeds.

grahammaddux
2015-04-06, 06:30 PM
that class is close to the one i remember. the one i was thinking about had a more sad tone to it. the person only had a certain amount of time left. be it a curse or he would be fated to die at some big battle.

Necroticplague
2015-04-06, 06:31 PM
Alienist. Complete Arcane.

Blackhawk748
2015-04-06, 06:35 PM

Lol.

Was it 3rd party? Because in AEG Undead there is a prestige class that does this. I think its called the Revenant.

2015-04-06, 06:37 PM
does any one remember a prestige class that was fated to die at lvl 10? anD what sourcebook that was from?

Anything that doesn't advance caster level. :smallwink:

EDIT: As for source, they're everywhere. There's a couple in Complete Arcane, for crying out loud.

Venger
2015-04-06, 06:44 PM
that class is close to the one i remember. the one i was thinking about had a more sad tone to it. the person only had a certain amount of time left. be it a curse or he would be fated to die at some big battle.

that doesn't sound familiar. I know all the official 3.5/3.0s. was there a picture? do you remember what it looked like?

other "do not pass go" classes include dragon compendium's mountebank, but that's not a prc.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-06, 06:53 PM
that doesn't sound familiar. I know all the official 3.5/3.0s. was there a picture? do you remember what it looked like?

other "do not pass go" classes include dragon compendium's mountebank, but that's not a prc.

If you somehow survive that 20th level class feature you get the half-fiend template for free (maybe; it is not as clear as I would like). How you survive with class features as atrocious as that is another matter.

grahammaddux
2015-04-06, 06:53 PM
it might have been 3rd party

TheIronGolem
2015-04-06, 06:57 PM

Not really. The Alienist doesn't die upon hitting 10, he just gets his eventual death from old age refluffed as "you get kidnapped by tentacle monsters", while taking no aging penalties in the interim.

Afgncaap5
2015-04-08, 12:25 AM

Is it possible that you're thinking of the Cataclysm Mage prestige class from Explorer's Handbook, page 58? The capstone gives you the ability to emulate many types of Dragonmark, but you become a sworn enemy of the dragons who decree that you must die swiftly for stealing one of "their secrets." Also, at various levels you get a personal prophecy that you must fulfill, and one of the options for the prophecy is to simply "Die."

DrMotives
2015-04-08, 12:58 AM
If you somehow survive that 20th level class feature you get the half-fiend template for free (maybe; it is not as clear as I would like). How you survive with class features as atrocious as that is another matter.

Sounds like the Mountebank, which gets half-fiend at level 20 but also is fated to join it's master and become an NPC, RAW. Fluffwise, it's a warlock, although the abilities work very differently. It's in Dragon Magazine Compendium, although I think it might have been a 10 level class with the same capstone earlier than that.

Inevitability
2015-04-08, 01:30 AM
Not really. The Alienist doesn't die upon hitting 10, he just gets his eventual death from old age refluffed as "you get kidnapped by tentacle monsters", while taking no aging penalties in the interim.

Be a warforged, troll the tentacle monsters.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-08, 01:58 AM
If you use Shadow Sun Ninja's (ToB) capstone ability enough times to completely drain your Con, you turn into a spiffy vampire, forfeit your soul, and become an NPC.

Afgncaap5
2015-04-08, 04:53 PM
If you use Shadow Sun Ninja's (ToB) capstone ability enough times to completely drain your Con, you turn into a spiffy vampire, forfeit your soul, and become an NPC.

Nice call. I forgot that one, and also forgot that becoming a vampire might qualify as "sad" (some people at my gaming table are very pro-undead). I've considered making members of that class the "original vampires" in my game world before.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-08, 06:01 PM
Sounds like the Mountebank, which gets half-fiend at level 20 but also is fated to join it's master and become an NPC, RAW. Fluffwise, it's a warlock, although the abilities work very differently. It's in Dragon Magazine Compendium, although I think it might have been a 10 level class with the same capstone earlier than that.
My comment was in response to someone mentioning mountebank, so this slightly confuses me.
The mountebank is also an unrelated PrC in Complete Scoundrel, which is not this horrid pile of nonsense.

Doctor Awkward
2015-04-08, 07:03 PM
You were probably thinking of Risen Marty.

Their second "capstone" is Final Ascension. Once they get enough experience to get their next level after level 10 they transit to the upper plains.

They also cannot take any other class besides Risen Marty once they start it. And if they ever forfeit their "exaltedness" they are immediately destroyed.

Necroticplague
2015-04-08, 07:20 PM
They also cannot take any other class besides Risen Marty once they start it. And if they ever forfeit their "exaltedness" they are immediately destroyed.

Of course, they don't get the class feature that restricts them to risen martyr levels until level 10......

Venger
2015-04-08, 07:35 PM
You were probably thinking of Risen Marty.

Their second "capstone" is Final Ascension. Once they get enough experience to get their next level after level 10 they transit to the upper plains.

risen martyr. book of exalted deeds.

It isn't risen martyr.

Blackhawk748
2015-04-08, 08:05 PM
Dug out my copy of AEG Undead (fun book i just haven needed it since moving) and the PrC im thinking of is called the Dying and ya you die at level 10 of it (usually because you have a horrid disease or curse) but you get a lot of stuff, including DR 15/+2 so until you die your freakin hard to kill :smalltongue:

Chronos
2015-04-08, 09:10 PM
For what it's worth, the Risen Martyr capstone isn't "you die", it's "you go to heaven". By that level, a simple Plane Shift to get back to the material plane should be trivial.