PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage/Kensai Viable

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-04-06, 07:16 PM
I wanted to make a swordsage but the thought of just going one class tell 20 bores me. So I thought Kensai, how should I go about it if viable and should I add another class to further strengthen my character or leave like that?

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-04-06, 07:32 PM
The setting is far eastern culture so please keep that in mind.

Snowbluff
2015-04-06, 07:34 PM
Diamond Mind Swordsage with Kensai would be good.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-04-06, 07:47 PM
Now what if I wanted to go Shadowhand what prestige class would benefit from it.

atemu1234
2015-04-06, 07:48 PM
Diamond Mind Swordsage with Kensai would be good.

And fascinating. I wonder if I should stat one, just in case my players ever need a cool character to go up against. ..

Snowbluff
2015-04-06, 07:52 PM
Now what if I wanted to go Shadowhand what prestige class would benefit from it.
Iaijutsu Master or Master of Nine?

The Shadow Blade feat stacks your dex and str. Kensai gives str buff.

And fascinating. I wonder if I should stat one, just in case my players ever need a cool character to go up against. ..

Player: "I attack! Fireball!"
Kensai: "I concentrate."
Plaer: "It's a fireball."
Kensai: "CONCENTRATE."

Troacctid
2015-04-06, 07:54 PM
Kensai has synergy with Diamond Mind because they both make heavy use of Concentration. If you're more focused on Shadow Hand, you'll probably be less happy with Kensai, as it's not a stealthy class--it doesn't even have Hide and Move Silently as class skills.

Kennisiou
2015-04-07, 02:18 AM
For shadow hand swordsage, being a sneaky Shadow Sun Ninja works nicely. Also, you can multiclass into Rogue, take two weapon fighting and nab some tiger claw maneuvers and be master of stabbing things, while also being a solid skillmonkey. And of course on that build, any solid rogue prestige class becomes great for the Swordsage. Bayushi Deceiver and Avenger both come to mind. That Rogue can also nab 3 levels of swashbuckler and have int and dex to damage alongside sneak attack dice (with the daring outlaw feat to get more sneak attack). Something like Rogue 4/Swash 3/Bayushi Deceiver 3/Swordsage 10 would be solid. 6d6 sneak attack without assassin stance factored in is nothing to sneeze at when paired with dex and int to damage, and Bayushi Deceiver's int to initiative means you'll be moving at lightning speed. You could always trade out levels of swordsage for more sneak attack die if you find yourself liking the sneak attacking more than the maneuvers. 1 level of thief acrobat and 1 level of avenger both are easy to qualify for and both give another 1d6 damage.

Pluto!
2015-04-07, 02:44 PM
Telflammar Shadowlord and Shadow Hand get along.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-04-07, 03:28 PM
The main downside of going Kensai is that you loose maneuver progression. It might be worth bouncing back to Swordsage ever other level or so to continue picking up higher-level maneuvers.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-04-09, 03:52 PM
I think I'm going to go with the Swordsage 10 then Shadowsun 10 then if we go over 20 finish off swordsage.