PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an Arena type Wizard build.

Styke
2015-04-06, 07:25 PM
Hey guys,

First time poster. My friends and I just converted to 5e and have been for a week or so, but I wanted some advice.

Our DM had the idea to have a "mini-game" type night where we play pre-made characters he made in a wizard arena. But he didn't have time to choose spells. It's a 6 on 6 battle royale, and we're all Wizards. We each got individual note cards with our stats on them. It sounds like a great idea, but here's my problem.

I've never played a caster. I have a very general understanding of spellcasting, but I have no idea how to build this guy for next week. I wanted to know if you guys could help me pick out some spells and cantrips for my coliseum wizard. I'll write out the stats on my note card here:

Naveen, Champion of Illusion (Level 4)

HP/32 AC/14
Proficiency: +2
DC: 13
Cantrips: 8
1st Level spells: 7
2nd Level spells: 6

STR 11 (0)
DEX 16 (+3)
INT 16 (+3)
CON 16 (+3)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 14 (+2)

This little arena is our DM's way of introducing a new player to our party, and apparently I randomly chose this character that is the new guy's rival and the only one to ever defeat him in the arena. So, I kinda want to put up a decent fight.

I'm not sure yet if our DM is limiting our school of magic (Illusion?), but he said basically he'd allow us to choose any spells from wizard. If he does end up deciding to limit us to a school, I guess I'd need to choose Illusion-based spells. So, I suppose I need to choose 7 cantrips, 7 1st level spells, and 6 2nd level spells. I wanted to get someone's input on which spells would be generally good and beneficial in an arena type setting. I wouldn't need much utility or dungeoneering type spells. It's all about the combat.

Anyway, thanks for any replies in advance. I appreciate it!

Styke Shadowcrest

Styke
2015-04-07, 12:36 AM
Is there another place I should try posting this?

Ralanr
2015-04-07, 12:39 AM
I'm actually surprised no one has bothered to answer. There are a bunch of caster supremacy debates (or one long one) going on. You'd think someone would jump at the chance to help a new wizard

Kane0
2015-04-07, 01:06 AM
First up: class guide (http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4138726)
Also here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D)

After that, lets see...
Camtrips: you want two attack cantrips at least, one with an attack roll and one forcing a save, two dofferent damage types, some ranged amd one close, whatever sets them apart. Once you have no big spells left these are your bread and butter. Shocking grasp + firebolt is common but some people like options like ray of frost, thunderclap and frostbite too for various reasons.
As an illusionist, ensure you take minor image, and get creative! Prestidigitation and other utoities round out your choices.

1st: pick an array, starting with two damage spells that have different attack/damage qialities. For example magic missile autohits for force damage, so its reliable but low damage output.
Also make sure to take both shield and absorb energy to preserve yourself against attack, these do wonders.
As an illusionist, make sure you have silent image and get creative with it

2nd: scorching ray is a powerful attack spell, and again back it up with an alternate option. After that pick yourself a good defense spell or two and devote the rest to utility.

Thats a start, also learn how your spell attacks work and what to cast to defend yourself. Remember that as an illusionist your most potent capability is misdirection and misinformation!
I should be abke to post a more complete spell recommendation list later.

Tynyss
2015-04-07, 01:28 AM
Spells that might be usefull:

Sleep to instantly knock out a Wizard that already took some damage
Mage Armor to protect yourself from Cantrips
Shield to protect yourself from Magic Missile and some Cantrips
Magic Missile Decent damage, but easily countered with Shield
Scorching Ray
Expeditious Retreat to do a quick "Tactical Retreat"
Blindness/Deafness blind other Wizards, doesn't require Concentration
Suggestion

Cantrips

Chill Touch for 120ft Range
Firebolt 1d10 damage

Kane0
2015-04-07, 01:30 AM
Okay recommendations

Cantrips:
Minor illusion
Firebolt or ray of frost
Shocking grasp or thunderclap or chill touch
Create bonfire or frostbite if you want a 3rd option
Utilities (prestidigitation, mage hand, light, etc)

1st
Shield
Absorb energy
Mage armor
Sleep or color spray or hideous laughter
Fog cloud or grease
Magic missile
Thunderwave or burning hands
Find familiar
Silent image

2nd
Scorching ray
Hold person or earthen grasp
Invisibility
Misty step
Mirror image

Note: try mot to target other casters with Wisdom or Intelligence save spells, they are more likely to pass those. Strength saves are your best bet, but dexterity and constitution are decent bets too. Charisma is hit or miss, especially if your not sure if your target may be a bard or warlock.

SharkForce
2015-04-07, 08:52 AM
as an illusionist, you're guaranteed minor illusion for free. don't use one of your picks on it :P

if the guy you're a rival to is melee, then expeditious retreat + ray of frost will definitely make him hate you and you'd have a good shot at winning. that said, there are probably better ways to start off someone's D&D experience than kiting them to death :P longstrider would provide a similar (but weaker) benefit without requiring concentration, and could be cast well before the fight begins.

(speaking of which, knowing what your rival is would help with planning)

i second mirror image as an excellent defensive choice (no concentration requirement), and would add blind as another strong choice. sleep will be ridiculously powerful in this environment, once you get some damage dealt (as soon as they drop below 18 HP you've a fair chance to one-shot them from a level 1 slot). combined with shield, it will make it very hard to hit you with attack rolls. false life can make a big difference at low levels for your wizard's HP (and like longstrider can be used well before the fight begins). mage armour, as noted, will give you a better chance of not getting smacked senseless.

phantasmal force would be an incredibly concept-appropriate spell. you don't have any ability to enhance illusions yet for the most part, but investigation is not a particularly common proficiency and intelligence is not a particularly common primary attribute... so unless you're up against a rogue or a wizard, it's got a pretty good chance of working. best thing i can recommend would be a wall encircling yourself. if you want to take advantage of the damage feature, make it a very dense wall of thorns :) (alternately, you could try some sort of acidic fog). your opponent will justify your spells as going through gaps that he didn't notice before until he spends actions on investigation checks (and succeeds), and you should get advantage on attack rolls against him because he cannot see you, and he should get disadvantage on attack rolls against you.

edit: wait, just noticed it's a wizard arena. ah well, i still think the phantasmal force has great potential to wreck your opponents... if they're all battle arena characters, it's likely your DM never thought "hey, they should have investigation for arena fights", so they'll probably have about a 50/50 chance of seeing through it... if they fail their initial save. it's likely to create very swingy fights where you either roflstomp or just blew a 2nd level slot on nothing.