PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Feats: What do we need?

Easy_Lee
2015-04-06, 07:57 PM
As many have pointed out, we have more support for crossbows and polearms right now than other types of weapons. The reason is simple: these weapons benefit from feats specific to that weapon type, while also benefiting from other feats and fighting styles equally as other weapons.

So, I believe the best thing to do is to create feats which allow other weapon types to allow the same degree of specialization. I think that every weapon type ought to be able to benefit from the same number of feats, and that those feats ought to allow for some unique strategies for each type.

If you disagree with the idea of having weapon type - specific feats at all, that's fine. You can ban them from your games, including crossbow expert and polearm mastery. The point of this thread is to discuss what types of feats we need, and what they should do. If we're lucky, perhaps WoTC will see threads like these and release additional weapon feats, or in the very least guidelines for making them.

The formula
Based on crossbow expert and polearm mastery, we can intuit some rules for weapon feats:

Feats should apply to a subset of weapons, rather than just one single weapon when possible
The feat should allow for a bonus attack, or in the very least should allow the weapon to consistently deal extra damage

If this bonus attack is made with a weapon stronger than 1d6, then the bonus attack should deal only 1d4 damage

The feat should remove limitations which prevent the weapon from being used as well as other weapons in its class (crossbow expert)
The feat should have one conditional benefit which improves damage in certain situations (removal of melee penalty for crossbow expert, extra opportunity attacks with polearm mastery)

I don't think we need a feat for unarmed strike, since we already sort-of have one (tavern brawler) and since that's the monk niche. With the above in mind, here are a few weapon types that I think we need feats for.

Sample Feats

Versatile Mastery - longswords, battleaxes, spears, tridents - would need to be fairly strong to make versatile weapons as usable as other weapon types. Suggestion: allow versatile weapons to benefit from both the dueling and great weapon mastery fighting styles regardless of whether they're weilded one-handed or two-handed. Allow pommel / short strikes (1d4), which still benefit from versatile or great weapon mastery.
Duel Master - shortswords, scimitars, rapiers - all finesse weapons that would conceivably be carried in a social setting and used for duels. Suggestion: holding a dagger in your offhand, whether you are wielding it (dual wield) or just using it defensively, raises your AC by 1 by allowing you to parry with it. Allow wielder to perform cuts with piercing weapons and stabs with slashing weapons, making a bonus action 1d4 (slashing) attack with a rapier or a bonus 1d6 (piercing or slashing respectively) attack with a scimitar or shortsword respectively against a target immediately following attacking that target with the same weapon.
Club Mastery - clubs, greatclubs, light hammers, maces, mauls - all designed for hitting people hard, and it doesn't matter as much which end you're swinging. Very concussive weapons. Suggestion: these weapons ignore shield bonuses to AC. Allow midsection of the weapon to be used to strike foes, dealing 1d4 damage as a bonus attack.
War Weapon Mastery - Lance, Pike, War pick, Morningstars, Flails - tricky since these don't necessarily have anything in common, other than that they're largely battlefield weapons ideal for picking apart armored foes. Could probably do something with that. Suggestion: +2 to-hit against heavily-armored targets, since that armor is less effective against these types of specialized weapons. These weapons cause lacerations and bleeding, and deal 1d4 damage to a target struck by them at the beginning of the next round, stacking for multiple hits, for up to two attacks per round (so if you hit the same target twice, it takes 5-8 damage the next round. This is comparable to a bonus attack, though it will do less damage than one on average due to not requiring a bonus attack to use).
Master thrower - Daggers, javalins, darts, net - since you throw these weapons, it's mandatory that you be able to draw them as part of the attack. Suggestion: can draw a weapon as part of the attack roll made to throw it, can throw two small weapons in place of one ranged attack per round, thrown weapons ignore anything short of full cover by allowing user to throw them around cover.
Bow Mastery - shortbows, longbows - like with crossbows, one of the disadvantages is that these aren't usable in melee. Suggestion: allow 1d4 finesse melee attacks to be made with arrows, and treat the user as wielding an arrow (for the purpose of opportunity attacks) so long as the user has a bow in-hand and quiver. Allow user to fire two arrows at once one time per round, though this lowers the damage die for each arrow to 1d4.
Unconventional Weapons Master - Slings, Whips, Sickles, Blowguns - these weapons may need their own individual feats, and I suspect that this would be the most complex of the lot. Suggestion: allow poison to be applied to blowgun darts as part of an attack, give advantage to shove (prone) attempts with whips, allow sickles and slings to deal more damage due to heavy training with them (meaning the bonus attack is not needed, just raise the die size on these weapons or add a static damage bonus to attacks similar to dueling).
Axe Mastery - handaxe, greataxe - good for chopping, not enough people use these. Suggestion: allow one to draw and throw a handaxe as a bonus action, even when one is wielding a two-handed weapon. Axes deal additional damage against prone targets and objects, anything that has difficulty getting out of the way, adding 1d4 to the damage for the attack.
Greatsword Mastery - Since this is a unique weapon with the highest damage potential of any weapon, I'd say it deserves its own feat. Suggestion: allow pommel strikes (2d2 damage) and allow greatswords to be used while grappling (at reduced damage, half-swording and performing push and draw cuts, but still two-handed)

I really feel that feats like these would allow quite a bit more variety in feat selection and character building. I'm less concerned about the particulars, and only offer my suggestions as to what the unique benefits could be. I'd appreciate critique regarding these kinds of feats, or suggestions on what others think they should do.

As a reminder, I'm fully aware that many don't feel that feats like these should exist at all. That said, since we already have crossbow expert and polearm mastery, I think it's only fair that similar feats exist for other types of weapons.

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 08:07 PM
I know I once made a feat that allowed you to use a versatile weapons two handed damage die in one hand. But I don't think that really went anywhere.

I remember watching a documentary on axe combat that suggested that axes were both an intimidating weapon and hurt the shield arm of the shield bearer due to the more focused area. Maybe an axe focused feat could ignore half the AC granted by a shield (So if someone had 19 AC because of a shield, you'd treat them as if they had 18 AC with this feat). That's probably not enough for a single feat, but I doubt...well actually. What if they made it so that if you're proficient with intimidation you could add your charisma bonus to attack and damage roles with axes?

This might be a bad idea. What do you think?

Easy_Lee
2015-04-06, 08:24 PM
I know I once made a feat that allowed you to use a versatile weapons two handed damage die in one hand. But I don't think that really went anywhere.

I remember watching a documentary on axe combat that suggested that axes were both an intimidating weapon and hurt the shield arm of the shield bearer due to the more focused area. Maybe an axe focused feat could ignore half the AC granted by a shield (So if someone had 19 AC because of a shield, you'd treat them as if they had 18 AC with this feat). That's probably not enough for a single feat, but I doubt...well actually. What if they made it so that if you're proficient with intimidation you could add your charisma bonus to attack and damage roles with axes?

This might be a bad idea. What do you think?

Absolutely. The point of the weapon feats seem to be allowing a bonus attack and providing a conditional boost. So thinking of ways to integrate them with skills or do additional damage vs. some targets are certainly valid approaches.

Edit: though be careful not to imbalance anything. Adding CHA to damage alone is huge. Adding it to both to-hit and damage would be game-breaking.

Naanomi
2015-04-06, 08:26 PM
I like whips, you could grapple/trip/disarm with them... Extra reach is a possibility as well.

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 08:31 PM
Absolutely. The point of the weapon feats seem to be allowing a bonus attack and providing a conditional boost. So thinking of ways to integrate them with skills or do additional damage vs. some targets are certainly valid approaches.

So adding your charisma modifier to attack and damage rolls for axes as long as you are proficient in intimidation is fine?

Half-Orc barbarians/fighters just got a whole lot more powerful.

So what would this go down as?

Axe Menace:
If you are proficient in intimidation you may add your charisma modifier to attack and damage rolls made with axes
If an opponent is wielding a shield, ignore half the AC bonus the shield provides

(Or ignore natural armor. IDK)

Easy_Lee
2015-04-06, 08:37 PM
So adding your charisma modifier to attack and damage rolls for axes as long as you are proficient in intimidation is fine?

Half-Orc barbarians/fighters just got a whole lot more powerful.

So what would this go down as?

Axe Menace:
If you are proficient in intimidation you may add your charisma modifier to attack and damage rolls made with axes
If an opponent is wielding a shield, ignore half the AC bonus the shield provides

(Or ignore natural armor. IDK)

Whoops, misread that part. See my edit. CHA-to-damage is too strong, especially considering that's a warlock level 12 invocation. Adding it to both to-hit and damage would be game breaking. Adding CHA mod twice to proficient intimidation rolls while holding an axe could be a cool benefit.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-04-06, 08:44 PM
I might suggest

1) bonus action intimidate after your first hit in a round with an axe

2) ignore an opponents shield bonus if you have successfully intimidated them

3) Add an extra die of damage on a critical hit

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 08:45 PM
Whoops, misread that part. See my edit. CHA-to-damage is too strong, especially considering that's a warlock level 12 invocation. Adding it to both to-hit and damage would be game breaking. Adding CHA mod twice to proficient intimidation rolls while holding an axe could be a cool benefit.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of the paladin ability (AFB).

So instead of hit and damage, just make it so they have expertise in intimidation if they are using an axe?

Axe Menace:
If you are profiencent in intimidation and are carrying an axe that can be easily seen. You may treat your intimidation (Cha) roles as though you had expertise.
If an opponent is using a shield, ignore half the AC bonus of that shield when attacking.

Though I do like the concept of adding Charisma to attack rolls but not damage rolls. Think it should be that instead of ignoring half shield AC? Cause that seems too situational.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-06, 09:07 PM
Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of the paladin ability (AFB).

So instead of hit and damage, just make it so they have expertise in intimidation if they are using an axe?

Axe Menace:
If you are profiencent in intimidation and are carrying an axe that can be easily seen. You may treat your intimidation (Cha) roles as though you had expertise.
If an opponent is using a shield, ignore half the AC bonus of that shield when attacking.

Though I do like the concept of adding Charisma to attack rolls but not damage rolls. Think it should be that instead of ignoring half shield AC? Cause that seems too situational.

If you allow the bonus attack, then the second boon should be situational in keeping with crossbow expert and polearm mastery. In addition, adding to-hit is one of the reasons why many consider the archery fighting style to be imbalanced. I would be very cautious about adding to-hit except in special circumstances, and very cautious about adding more than +2.

SharkForce
2015-04-06, 09:12 PM
sword & board style (or really, *anything* and board style) is supported just fine (it has two feats already, both of which are quite good in their own way). any support for one-handed weapons should be limited to their use without a shield on the other arm. heck, depending on how you look at it, the style might even have 3 feats (defensive duelist isn't strictly sword & board style, but it is definitely compatible).

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 09:13 PM
I might suggest

1) bonus action intimidate after your first hit in a round with an axe

2) ignore an opponents shield bonus if you have successfully intimidated them

3) Add an extra die of damage on a critical hit

Personally I'm not a fan of number 1. Mainly because I've done in combat intimidation after attacking (More of a, FIGHT ME! sort of thing). I'm still unsure if skill checks are considered actions in combat or not.

If you allow the bonus attack, then the second boon should be situational in keeping with crossbow expert and polearm mastery. In addition, adding to-hit is one of the reasons why many consider the archery fighting style to be imbalanced. I would be very cautious about adding to-hit except in special circumstances, and very cautious about adding more than +2.

Ok. I got ya. I think.

So this?
Axe Menace:
You may add your cha bonus to damage rolls made with axes

That good?

Naanomi
2015-04-06, 09:14 PM
Anything universally modifying attack rolls would be likely to be 'broken'; especially by as much as +5 as proposed.

I like the idea of Axes being Crit focused. An extra die on a Critical Hit; advantage on the attack after a Critical Hit (yours or an allies)... both potential options.

Note, I also disagree that every weapon feat would need a benefit like 'get an extra bonus attack'. Both weapon feats we have now do that because there was no way to get a bonus attack otherwise; so at the very least any weapon category that could inherently be dual wielded should probably not have that clause.

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 09:20 PM
Anything universally modifying attack rolls would be likely to be 'broken'; especially by as much as +5 as proposed.

I like the idea of Axes being Crit focused. An extra die on a Critical Hit; advantage on the attack after a Critical Hit (yours or an allies)... both potential options.

Note, I also disagree that every weapon feat would need a benefit like 'get an extra bonus attack'. Both weapon feats we have now do that because there was no way to get a bonus attack otherwise; so at the very least any weapon category that could inherently be dual wielded should probably not have that clause.

So basically we should make it so that a level 20 barb with a greataxe rolls 5d12 (AFB) on a crit? 6d12 (AFB) if half-orc? Cause the only other thing I can see is lowering the crit range 19-20/18-20. Which is one of the main points of champion fighter.

Naanomi
2015-04-06, 09:26 PM
So basically we should make it so that a level 20 barb with a greataxe rolls 5d12 (AFB) on a crit? 6d12 (AFB) if half-orc? Cause the only other thing I can see is lowering the crit range 19-20/18-20. Which is one of the main points of champion fighter.
6d12 at level 20 with a feat investment some percentage of the time doesn't seem too powerful to me. Opinions, of course, will vary. Certainly not as strong as a blanked +5 to hit would end up being; especially given one could use the +5 to counter Great Weapon Mastery's hit penalty with a two-handed axe for a blanket +10 damage

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 09:34 PM
6d12 at level 20 with a feat investment some percentage of the time doesn't seem too powerful to me. Opinions, of course, will vary. Certainly not as strong as a blanked +5 to hit would end up being; especially given one could use the +5 to counter Great Weapon Mastery's hit penalty with a two-handed axe for a blanket +10 damage

Oh no I see your point. I was trying to confirm it.

Naanomi
2015-04-06, 10:09 PM
Off the cuff, if I were making weapon feats, I would probably group them (with different names) like...
Note some would fall under multiple categories, so we'd have to watch for stacking abuse potential (along with existing feats)

~Axes: Handaxe, Battle Axe, Great Axe (Bonuses around Critical Hits)
~Fencing Blades: Dagger, Rapier, Scimitar, Shortsword
~Large Blades: Greatsword, Longsword
~Bows: Shortbow, Longbow (Careful to not overlap with Sharpshooter)
~Crude Bludgeoning: Club, Greatclub, Maul (Shoving/staggering)
~Sophisticated Bludgeoning: Light Hammer, Mace, Morningstar, Warhammer
~Thrown Weapons: Javelins, Darts; lesser benefits for other thrown weapons
~Stabbing: Spear, Trident, Lance; javelin?

Weapons that would get their own feats:
~*Blowguns: (I would roll it into a general 'poison master' Feat)
~*Whips
~*Lances (a jousting specific feat to compliment mounted combat)

Weapons that wouldn't get feat support:
~Nets (Fringe weapon, may get minor incidental benefit from 'thrown weapons')
~Unarmed Strike

warty goblin
2015-04-06, 10:32 PM
Lesee, things I would like to be able to do with weapons:

Sword Master:You are very good at killing things in their stupid faces with a sword. When wielding a longsword or a greatsword you gain the following options:

Half-Sword You have mastered using your sword as a spear to pierce and avoid armor. Once per turn when you take the attack action and are wielding your sword in both hands and prior to rolling dice, you may declare an attack to be a half-sword attack. This deals normal damage for your weapon, but the type is piercing damage, and ignores damage resistance to piercing weapons. You may add your strength bonus to damage on this attack.

False Edge CutYou have learned techniques to strike around or behind an enemy's shield. Once per turn when taking the attack action, one attack ignores your enemy's shield bonus to AC. This may not be combined with half-sword. A false edge cut must be declared before rolling the dice.

Cleave Shaft (Greatsword only) You have learned techniques for fighting polearms with your greatsword. When you are the target of a melee attack by a polearm, you may use your reaction to attempt to break the weapon's shaft. Make an attack roll against the attacker's AC. If you hit, you break their weapon, and their attack does no damage to you, whether or not it hits.

Unexpected Strike (Longsword only) You have mastered the versatile nature of your weapon. When fighting with a longsword in both hands, you may attack twice when you use your reaction to attack.

In addition, you may use your bonus action to make a second special Sword Master attack.

Axe Master When it comes to splitting heads with axes, you're a pro. When fighting with a battle-axe or greataxe, you gain the following benefits.

Hook ShieldYou have learned how to pull an enemy's shield away with your axe. Once per turn, when you take the attack action, you may attempt to pull an enemy's shield away. If your attack hits, your attack does no damage, but your enemy loses their shield, and you have advantage on your next attack roll against that enemy. You must declare this before rolling any dice.

Weapon Lock You know how to trap and disarm an enemy with the crook of your weapon. When you are the target of a melee attack by an adjacent enemy, you may immediately use your reaction to attempt to trap their weapon. Make a melee attack roll against them, if you hit you do no damage, but their attack does no damage to you, and their next attack against you is made with disadvantage.

Lunging Strike (Greataxe Only) You know how to use the great size of your weapon to maximal effect. Once per turn when taking the attack action, you may make a single attack with a ten foot reach. You must declare this before rolling the attack, and it cannot be combined with any other attack in this feat.

Cleave Shaft (Greataxe Only) You have learned techniques for fighting polearms with your greataxe. When you are the target of a melee attack by a polearm, you may use your reaction to attempt to break the weapon's shaft. Make an attack roll against the attacker's AC. If you hit, you break their weapon, and their attack does no damage to you, whether or not it hits.

Piercing Strike (Battleaxe Only) You know how to use the back spike, top spike or horn of your axe to devastating effect. Once per turn when you take the attack action, you may declare an attack a piercing attack. Roll an attack as normal; if it hits you may double your attribute bonus to damage.

In addition, you may use your bonus action to make a second special Axe Master attack.

Rapier Master You sure are good at poking people with that thing.

Forward Guard You know how to use your weapon's length and thrusting attacks to maximum benefit. Once per turn when you are the target of a melee attack by an adjacent enemy, you may use your reaction to make a single melee attack against them. If it hits, it does normal damage, you take no damage from their attack, and their next melee attack against you is made with disadvantage.
Parrying Dagger When you fight with a rapier in one hand and a dagger in the other, you gain a second reaction for purposes of Forward Guard.

Flail Master You have become a blender of gore.

Build Momentum You know how to swing your flail with exceptional speed. When you take the attack action, and you have the ability to make at least two melee attacks with an attack action, you may choose to make one fewer attack this turn than usual. If you do this, you automatically gain advantage on your next attack this turn with the flail, and double your normal damage dice on a successful hit. If you score a critical hit, you triple your damage dice. This attack ignores any damage resistance to blunt damage of your target.
Flail and Hand Weapon If you wield a flail with one hand, and a dagger or handaxe in your off hand, and sacrifice an attack for Build Momentum, and use your bonus action to make an off-hand attack, you may make two off-hand attacks.

Naanomi
2015-04-06, 10:54 PM
Club/great club/maul:
- concussion: con save or dizzy after critical hit
- knock down: once a round, shove as bonus action after hit with weapon
- smash head: disadvantage on death saving throws for downed opponents

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 10:59 PM

Axe Master When it comes to splitting heads with axes, you're a pro. When fighting with a battle-axe or greataxe, you gain the following benefits.

Hook ShieldYou have learned how to pull an enemy's shield away with your axe. Once per turn, when you take the attack action, you may attempt to pull an enemy's shield away. If your attack hits, your attack does no damage, but your enemy loses their shield, and you have advantage on your next attack roll against that enemy. You must declare this before rolling any dice.

Weapon Lock You know how to trap and disarm an enemy with the crook of your weapon. When you are the target of a melee attack by an adjacent enemy, you may immediately use your reaction to attempt to trap their weapon. Make a melee attack roll against them, if you hit you do no damage, but their attack does no damage to you, and their next attack against you is made with disadvantage.

Lunging Strike (Greataxe Only) You know how to use the great size of your weapon to maximal effect. Once per turn when taking the attack action, you may make a single attack with a ten foot reach. You must declare this before rolling the attack, and it cannot be combined with any other attack in this feat.

Cleave Shaft (Greataxe Only) You have learned techniques for fighting polearms with your greataxe. When you are the target of a melee attack by a polearm, you may use your reaction to attempt to break the weapon's shaft. Make an attack roll against the attacker's AC. If you hit, you break their weapon, and their attack does no damage to you, whether or not it hits.

Piercing Strike (Battleaxe Only) You know how to use the back spike, top spike or horn of your axe to devastating effect. Once per turn when you take the attack action, you may declare an attack a piercing attack. Roll an attack as normal; if it hits you may double your attribute bonus to damage.

In addition, you may use your bonus action to make a second special Axe Master attack.

[/LIST]

Oh I like these.

asorel
2015-04-07, 09:18 AM

Sword Master:You are very good at killing things in their stupid faces with a sword. When wielding a longsword or a greatsword you gain the following options:

Half-Sword You have mastered using your sword as a spear to pierce and avoid armor. Once per turn when you take the attack action and are wielding your sword in both hands and prior to rolling dice, you may declare an attack to be a half-sword attack. This deals normal damage for your weapon, but the type is piercing damage, and ignores damage resistance to piercing weapons. You may add your strength bonus to damage on this attack.

False Edge CutYou have learned techniques to strike around or behind an enemy's shield. Once per turn when taking the attack action, one attack ignores your enemy's shield bonus to AC. This may not be combined with half-sword. A false edge cut must be declared before rolling the dice.

Cleave Shaft (Greatsword only) You have learned techniques for fighting polearms with your greatsword. When you are the target of a melee attack by a polearm, you may use your reaction to attempt to break the weapon's shaft. Make an attack roll against the attacker's AC. If you hit, you break their weapon, and their attack does no damage to you, whether or not it hits.

Unexpected Strike (Longsword only) You have mastered the versatile nature of your weapon. When fighting with a longsword in both hands, you may attack twice when you use your reaction to attack.

In addition, you may use your bonus action to make a second special Sword Master attack.

Forward Guard You know how to use your weapon's length and thrusting attacks to maximum benefit. Once per turn when you are the target of a melee attack by an adjacent enemy, you may use your reaction to make a single melee attack against them. If it hits, it does normal damage, you take no damage from their attack, and their next melee attack against you is made with disadvantage.
Parrying Dagger When you fight with a rapier in one hand and a dagger in the other, you gain a second reaction for purposes of Forward Guard.

Flail Master You have become a blender of gore.

Build Momentum You know how to swing your flail with exceptional speed. When you take the attack action, and you have the ability to make at least two melee attacks with an attack action, you may choose to make one fewer attack this turn than usual. If you do this, you automatically gain advantage on your next attack this turn with the flail, and double your normal damage dice on a successful hit. If you score a critical hit, you triple your damage dice. This attack ignores any damage resistance to blunt damage of your target.
Flail and Hand Weapon If you wield a flail with one hand, and a dagger or handaxe in your off hand, and sacrifice an attack for Build Momentum, and use your bonus action to make an off-hand attack, you may make two off-hand attacks.

These are good.

D-naras
2015-04-07, 09:45 AM
I also thought that it was strange how 5e only caters to those that want to be pole-arm, shield or crossbow masters. It would seem much more natural to have a sword-master feat since that is the weapon most commonly associated with heroes or an axe-master feat since dwarves are so tied to them. To remedy that I brewed the following 2 feats:

Blademaster
When you wield a dagger, scimitar, shortsword, longsword, rapier or greatsword, you gain the following abilities:

Feint: As a bonus action, you may force an adjacent enemy to make a Wisdom (Perception) ability check with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice). If he fails, you gain advantage on the next attack roll against him during this turn.
Precise cut: Once per turn, whenever you successfully hit an enemy with an attack that has advantage, or you score a critical hit, you deal 1d6 bonus damage of the same type as your weapon.

Strong-arm Mastery
When you wield a club, greatclub, handaxe, light hammer, mace, battleaxe, flail, greataxe, maul, morningstar, war pick or warhammer, you gain the following abilities:

Batter: Once per enemy per turn, if you successfully hit an enemy, he must make a Concentration saving throw or have Disadvantage on his next Attack, Save or Ability Check until the end of his next turn.
Wild Swing: As a bonus action, you may make a single Attack against an enemy in your reach. Your target can spend his Reaction to make a single Attack against before you make your Attack.

Ralanr
2015-04-07, 10:53 AM
I also thought that it was strange how 5e only caters to those that want to be pole-arm, shield or crossbow masters. It would seem much more natural to have a sword-master feat since that is the weapon most commonly associated with heroes or an axe-master feat since dwarves are so tied to them. To remedy that I brewed the following 2 feats:

Blademaster
When you wield a dagger, scimitar, shortsword, longsword, rapier or greatsword, you gain the following abilities:

Feint: As a bonus action, you may force an adjacent enemy to make a Wisdom (Perception) ability check with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice). If he fails, you gain advantage on the next attack roll against him during this turn.
Precise cut: Once per turn, whenever you successfully hit an enemy with an attack that has advantage, or you score a critical hit, you deal 1d6 bonus damage of the same type as your weapon.

Strong-arm Mastery
When you wield a club, greatclub, handaxe, light hammer, mace, battleaxe, flail, greataxe, maul, morningstar, war pick or warhammer, you gain the following abilities:

Batter: Once per enemy per turn, if you successfully hit an enemy, he must make a Concentration saving throw or have Disadvantage on his next Attack, Save or Ability Check until the end of his next turn.
Wild Swing: As a bonus action, you may make a single Attack against an enemy in your reach. Your target can spend his Reaction to make a single Attack against before you make your Attack.

For strong arm:
1. Do you mean constitution?
2. I think that hurts synergy with GWM. But since feats are harder to get now that isn't a real big issue

D-naras
2015-04-07, 11:25 AM
For strong arm:
1. Do you mean constitution?
2. I think that hurts synergy with GWM. But since feats are harder to get now that isn't a real big issue

I mean the same save you do when you are damaged while concentrating on a spell or other effect. The monster manual uses the same term for various monster abilities (like the aarocokra summon elemental ability). It's essentially a Con Save with DC 10 or half damage suffered, whichever is more.

I think it works nicely with the bonus damage part of GWM since you can ensure larger DCs and force the debuff on the opponent which either you (using Wild Swing) or another ally (force another save) can take advantage off next.

Ralanr
2015-04-07, 11:39 AM
I mean the same save you do when you are damaged while concentrating on a spell or other effect. The monster manual uses the same term for various monster abilities (like the aarocokra summon elemental ability). It's essentially a Con Save with DC 10 or half damage suffered, whichever is more.

I think it works nicely with the bonus damage part of GWM since you can ensure larger DCs and force the debuff on the opponent which either you (using Wild Swing) or another ally (force another save) can take advantage off next.

But you can get an extra attack as a bonus action if you crit or reduce an enemy to zero hp.

D-naras
2015-04-07, 12:25 PM
But you can get an extra attack as a bonus action if you crit or reduce an enemy to zero hp.

Yeah I know. And if you manage to get that, then there is no reason to risk an opportunity attack from my feat AND you get to batter another dude. That's a win-win in my book.

Ralanr
2015-04-07, 12:30 PM
Yeah I know. And if you manage to get that, then there is no reason to risk an opportunity attack from my feat AND you get to batter another dude. That's a win-win in my book.

Good point. You'd probably use your feats bonus action when fighting multiple/single strong opponents, but GWM's bonus action when fighting multiple weak opponents.

So basically a two attack class fights like it has three attacks.

Morty
2015-04-07, 02:50 PM
I feel as though some of those could use both a feat and a weapon style class feature. Versatile and throwing weapons, for instance.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-07, 02:57 PM
I feel as though some of those could use both a feat and a weapon style class feature. Versatile and throwing weapons, for instance.

I agree with that. Versatile and thrown weapons are mostly fine on everyone who doesn't have a fighting style; it's fighters, rangers, and paladins who would be unwise to use them. I'm not sure what the fighting styles would do; double range and free draw for throwing and +1 damage and AC for versatile, perhaps. But I do think these are things that WotC should have considered.

Ralanr
2015-04-07, 03:13 PM

Like this?

Weapon Training: After long periods of practice with your weapons, you have gained greater mastery
Increase strength or dexterity by 1 to a maximum of 20
Choose a weapon based fighting style off the list from the fighter class. You cannot choose the same fighting style if you already have one.

Edit: Wow I misread that entirely...I still like this feat though.

pribnow
2015-04-07, 03:40 PM
I use the following weapon expert feat:

Martial Weapon Expert
Choose one martial weapon. You gain the following benefits when using the martial weapon.
- If you use the attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to ignore any resistance the target has with your next melee attack on this turn with the chosen martial weapon.
- If you hit with a melee attack using the chosen martial weapon, you can try to push or shove the target as a bonus action. The target has to make a constitution save against a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your strength or dexterity modifier. If the target fails the save, you can push or shove him 5 feet.
- If you use the attack action on your turn, your target needs to pay full attention to avoid getting hit. The target can either choose to make his next attack roll with disadvantage or provoke an opportunity attack.

Further, I use the following longbow/shortbow expert feat:

Expert Bowman
- rapid shot: Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon other than a crossbow that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -3 penalty to the attack roll. Immediately after this attack, you may use a bonus action to make an additional attack at a -3 penalty. You gain advantage on the attack roll of the additional attack if 1) the target of the additional attack is the same as that of the first attack and 2) the first attack was a hit. You roll damage for the additional attack as normal.
- you can use a bonus action to use the disengage action

Vogonjeltz
2015-04-07, 04:19 PM
Greatsword Mastery - Since this is a unique weapon with the highest damage potential of any weapon, I'd say it deserves its own feat. Suggestion: allow pommel strikes (2d2 damage) and allow greatswords to be used while grappling (at reduced damage, half-swording and performing push and draw cuts, but still two-handed)

Isn't this really covered by Great Weapon Master? You can add 10 damage to each swing AND if you crit/drop someone you can get a cleave, that's pretty amazing.

Same thing for the Bow Mastery = Sharpshooter, I think the feat support basically exists already for these.

My other concern is that having too many feats that apply to weapons starts to make them feel mandatory. i.e. non-Fighters who have fewer ASIs will be incapable of getting their stats to 20 AND picking up the 3+ feats that apply to their weapon choices, which begins to pigeonhole characters into only using specific weapons, like using only long swords or only axes and never longswords or maces becuase...no feat for them.

As it currently stands, a Fighter can use a battleaxe, flail, longsword, or morningstar equally 1h, but if there is a specific feat for flails, and the Fighter has that, they're disincentivized from ever using anything but the flail. I suggest in keeping with the current state of feats, try to make them more generic and less specific. (Indeed, most of the feats act based on weapon properties (finesse, heavy, etc...), rather than specific names...and it gets specific usually when there's an exception to that weapon property being used).

This is useful in that any weapons added would be backwards compatible with feats already in existence. So I'd encourage you to revise along those lines. (Maybe feats that apply to piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing weapons?)

Some of these emulate battlemaster abilities (which are limited use) in providing advantage/disadvantage, and I'd be extremely leery of providing more than 3 benefits per feat. Axe Master alone has like 3 feats worth of stuff. Piercing Strike from the Axe Master alone is pretty much better than Savage Attacker (a feat unto itself).

Playing any melee class I can't rationally justify not taking these feats, which suggests they are too powerful as written.

Morty
2015-04-07, 04:28 PM
I agree with that. Versatile and thrown weapons are mostly fine on everyone who doesn't have a fighting style; it's fighters, rangers, and paladins who would be unwise to use them. I'm not sure what the fighting styles would do; double range and free draw for throwing and +1 damage and AC for versatile, perhaps. But I do think these are things that WotC should have considered.

Free draw for throwing sounds reasonable enough. As for Versatile, I think that both the class feature and feat associated with it should grant a variable benefit that the player can pick. Since, well, they're versatile. However, giving both a small damage bonus and a small AC bonus is also fairly appropriate for the class feature.

For throwing, I could also see upping the size of the damage die for thrown weapons, either for the feat of the class feature. In addition, you could consider making two feats - one for 'heavy' thrown weapons such as axes and javelins, and one for small thrown weapons such as knives and darts.

And WotC should have considered it, yeah. But their design process on weapons and martial abilities in general is... less than stellar, to put it mildly. And unwilling to break the mould.

Edit: As far as Warty's ideas go, I'm not sure if Half-Sword has much of a use. Unless there are more monsters for whom physical damage types matter in Monster Manual proper. I only found a couple in the Basic Set.

Ralanr
2015-04-07, 05:55 PM

Actually I should have caught this sooner. Maul does the same damage just in a different type. It's just as unique as the greatsword.

Also it is fair to remember that crossbow expert removes the weakness of the crossbow (loading) which allow does make it (or the heavy crossbow anyway) better option than the longbow. So it's a feat that with a main feature that removes a weakness.

Morty
2015-04-07, 06:38 PM
Come to think of it, a feat for the crossbows that lets classes with multiple attacks use them effectively without turning them into machineguns would be pretty grand.

Ralanr
2015-04-07, 07:55 PM
Come to think of it, a feat for the crossbows that lets classes with multiple attacks use them effectively without turning them into machineguns would be pretty grand.

Why not remove that feat from the table if that is a problem.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-07, 08:03 PM
Why not remove that feat from the table if that is a problem.

Wanted to add that if you go with this option, you should also remove great weapon mastery, sharpshooter, shield mastery, and polearm mastery while you're at it. All of these are feats which benefit certain weapons but not others.

My intent is to produce a situation where all weapon types have ample feat support, which inevitably would either lead to some redundancy or total removal of these kinds of feats. That said, I don't see a problem with there being lots of somewhat redundant feat choices, since players can only select a finite number of feats and every one is costly.

Gwendol
2015-04-08, 03:02 AM
I'm not sure more weapon feats are needed. Rather less.

On the other hand, the game could use more combat style feats, which will better emulate a development in a chosen specialization.

MrStabby
2015-04-08, 04:33 AM
My other concern is that having too many feats that apply to weapons starts to make them feel mandatory. i.e. non-Fighters who have fewer ASIs will be incapable of getting their stats to 20 AND picking up the 3+ feats that apply to their weapon choices, which begins to pigeonhole characters into only using specific weapons, like using only long swords or only axes and never longswords or maces becuase...no feat for them.

Actually I see this as a good thing. With more feats and more meaningful choices on feats the game can support more diversity. Actually having to chose between higher stats and different feats appeals to me. If you want certain abilities you have to sacrifice others.

For me the test of whether a weapon should have more feats associated with it comes down to two factors.

1) How well used is it? If a lot of people are not running round with blowdarts or nets or daggers then it is not unreasonable for them to get some more support. Some of these are interesting and very stylish weapons so it would be nice to build on these.

2) Is the weapon simple or martial? I feel that martial weapons are those that use more skill and sophistication to use and so should get a little more support.

Naanomi
2015-04-08, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure more weapon feats are needed. Rather less.

On the other hand, the game could use more combat style feats, which will better emulate a development in a chosen specialization.
The idea of 'weapon specialization' is an old idea in DnD; the edition trying to capture that nostalgia should cater to that.

As for the feays above; combat feats currently have 2-3 benefits; is would trim down the homebrew ones to match that format

Kryx
2015-04-08, 09:01 AM
I agree the only way forward is more specific weapon feats, not less. less requires removing a lot of options. 5e won't go that route.

Bow Mastery - shortbows, longbows - like with crossbows, one of the disadvantages is that these aren't usable in melee. Suggestion: allow 1d4 finesse melee attacks to be made with arrows, and treat the user as wielding an arrow (for the purpose of opportunity attacks) so long as the user has a bow in-hand and quiver. Allow user to fire two arrows at once one time per round, though this lowers the damage die for each arrow to 1d4.

You should ensure the math is correct. In my Bow Expert? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400891-Bow-Expert) thread I do the math.

I assumed that the bow makes 2 attacks with no dex and it falls inline (math (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-9xDdath8kX_v7Rpts9JFIJwIG3X0-dDUtfax14NT0/edit?usp=sharing)).

If you do 1d4 with no dex it falls way too far behind. If you do 1d4 with dex it surpasses crossbow expert.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-08, 09:14 AM
You should ensure the math is correct. In my Bow Expert? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400891-Bow-Expert) thread I do the math.

I assumed that the bow makes 2 attacks with no dex and it falls inline (math (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-9xDdath8kX_v7Rpts9JFIJwIG3X0-dDUtfax14NT0/edit?usp=sharing)).

If you do 1d4 with no dex it falls way too far behind. If you do 1d4 with dex it surpasses crossbow expert.

That depends on who uses it and the nature of the extra attack. I assumed that the double shot was fired once per turn not as a bonus action, but as a replacement for one of the attacks. For a ranger with extra attack, he could make three attacks at 1d6+dex with crossbow expert, spending his bonus, or one attack at 1d8+dex and two at 1d4+dex by not spending his bonus. This means that using a regular bow, rather than a crossbow, would likely be the more desirable choice for a ranger. However, it may be too strong since it doesn't use the bonus action; I was just suggesting an idea, not saying that it was absolutely balanced.

warty goblin
2015-04-08, 09:38 AM
Some of these emulate battlemaster abilities (which are limited use) in providing advantage/disadvantage, and I'd be extremely leery of providing more than 3 benefits per feat. Axe Master alone has like 3 feats worth of stuff. Piercing Strike from the Axe Master alone is pretty much better than Savage Attacker (a feat unto itself).

Playing any melee class I can't rationally justify not taking these feats, which suggests they are too powerful as written.
That the feat was stronger than an ASI was more or less a design goal of mine, since with melee weapons one very quickly reaches the point where additional strength is not nearly as important as additional skill. Ergo a person who intends to fight with a striking weapon and who invests in how best to use that weapon should have a substantial advantage over somebody who spends their time pumping iron, and that one of the more dangerous places in the world should be in the striking range of such a person.

Ralanr
2015-04-08, 09:56 AM
Should we allow a feat for blunt weapons to ignore a certain ac number? I'm just wondering for historical accuracy since blunt weapons (mainly maces) were very effective against plate armor.

warty goblin
2015-04-08, 10:19 AM
Should we allow a feat for blunt weapons to ignore a certain ac number? I'm just wondering for historical accuracy since blunt weapons (mainly maces) were very effective against plate armor.

My thinking is that AC is far too much of a polyglot abstraction for this to be particularly meaningful without also becoming annoyingly complicated. That is, AC represents a lot of things that aren't armor, including shields, dodging and flat-out magic. So if Sally the fighter is swinging a mace at Bobby the wizard, does the mace lower Bobby's AC, even though it's all coming from his Mage Armor and Dexterity?

The alternative to this rather undesirable state of affairs is to let the mace ignore some portion of AC from armor, but that requires a lot of constant running subtractions, and everybody to know exactly what armor everybody else is wearing all the time. It also lends itself to weirdness like a character learning their nemesis fights with a mace, and so taking off their armor in order to be harder to hit, which makes absolutely no narrative sense whatesoever.

Besides which, maces aren't better against armored warriors. They're more effective against armor than some other sorts of weapons, but still less effective against an armored adversary than one in shirtsleeves.

Ralanr
2015-04-08, 10:25 AM
My thinking is that AC is far too much of a polyglot abstraction for this to be particularly meaningful without also becoming annoyingly complicated. That is, AC represents a lot of things that aren't armor, including shields, dodging and flat-out magic. So if Sally the fighter is swinging a mace at Bobby the wizard, does the mace lower Bobby's AC, even though it's all coming from his Mage Armor and Dexterity?

The alternative to this rather undesirable state of affairs is to let the mace ignore some portion of AC from armor, but that requires a lot of constant running subtractions, and everybody to know exactly what armor everybody else is wearing all the time. It also lends itself to weirdness like a character learning their nemesis fights with a mace, and so taking off their armor in order to be harder to hit, which makes absolutely no narrative sense whatesoever.

Besides which, maces aren't better against armored warriors. They're more effective against armor than some other sorts of weapons, but still less effective against an armored adversary than one in shirtsleeves.

That's what I meant. Certain portions or types of armor. Like how I was giving axes the ability to ignore half the AC of shields.

But I do see your point.

warty goblin
2015-04-08, 10:59 AM
That's what I meant. Certain portions or types of armor. Like how I was giving axes the ability to ignore half the AC of shields.

But I do see your point.

Right, and for the shield I don't think that's particularly annoying in practice, since it's usually very clear whether Henchmen #5 has a shield or not, and 5E treats all shields exactly the same. But there's a lot of armors, and it seems rather tedious to worry about which guy has the chain vest and which guy has the half-plate, and a different arithmetic for each of those.

It also doesn't necessarily seem like something you need any special skill or training to do, since it's fairly essential to the nature of the weapon. It's a spiked or ridged club, so when you smack people with it, it tends to crush steel plates more effectively than other sorts of weapon.

Raimun
2015-04-08, 11:06 AM
Power Attack.
Shock Trooper.
Leaping Attack.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-08, 11:22 AM
Power Attack.
Shock Trooper.
Leaping Attack.

Would be a good name for a metal band. Shock Trooper and power attack are basically covered by Charger and GWM (which could be house ruled to work with all melee weapons if one so chose). That said, charger is a bit limited and probably should have just been a regular melee maneuver like Shove, IMO.

Leap attack would be interesting, but we may need a dragoon archetype or class for that one.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-04-08, 11:26 AM

But I do see your point.

Back in the latter days of AD&D they released a book called the Combat and Tactics guide. It had simple but useful rules to make weapons better especially when AD&D basically made anything that wasn't the Long Sword/Bow and Darts worthless

You could use some of the concepts from it even easier now since armor is neatly categorized in light medium and heavy versions. A +1 to vs medium armor and +2 vs heavy/Natural armor isn't unreasonable

Easy_Lee
2015-04-08, 11:31 AM
You could use some of the concepts from it even easier now since armor is neatly categorized in light medium and heavy versions. A +1 to vs medium armor and +2 vs heavy/Natural armor isn't unreasonable

Not unreasonable, though I wonder if the existence of these kinds of things make heavy armor less appealing. We already have numerous penalties to heavy armor which a DM may or may not impose, including the time required to don it, shocking grasp, and heat metal for example. We don't have as many of these kinds of things for light or medium armor, which is one of the reasons I feel that effects which take away or reduce dex bonus to AC should not have been removed.

Kryx
2015-04-08, 11:40 AM
That depends on who uses it and the nature of the extra attack. I assumed that the double shot was fired once per turn not as a bonus action, but as a replacement for one of the attacks. For a ranger with extra attack, he could make three attacks at 1d6+dex with crossbow expert, spending his bonus, or one attack at 1d8+dex and two at 1d4+dex by not spending his bonus. This means that using a regular bow, rather than a crossbow, would likely be the more desirable choice for a ranger. However, it may be too strong since it doesn't use the bonus action; I was just suggesting an idea, not saying that it was absolutely balanced.
I assumed the same - not a bonus action, but splitting 1 shot.

I added your version to my google doc. It averages about 0-0.6 DPR less than crossbow expert. That is too strong for not having a bonus actions.

Your version makes longbow significantly better than crossbow for everyone, not just ranger.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-08, 11:43 AM
I assumed the same - not a bonus action, but splitting 1 shot.

I added your version to my google doc. It averages about 0-0.6 DPR less than crossbow expert. That is too strong for not having a bonus actions.

Your version makes longbow significantly better than crossbow for everyone, not just ranger.

Fair enough, I was just throwing out ideas. The really point was that we need more feats for other weapon types. That said, making the existing feats and styles apply to all of the weapons may also fix the problem.

Kryx
2015-04-08, 11:49 AM
That said, making the existing feats and styles apply to all of the weapons may also fix the problem.
I think having variety is better, as long as it's balanced. Weapons should be unique based on their feats.

asorel
2015-04-08, 11:53 AM
I think having variety is better, as long as it's balanced. Weapons should be unique based on their feats.

I agree with this. Also, I have heard that the weapons in the playtest each had a unique property of some sort, which was active whether or not you had a feat. I would be a proponent of including a similar mechanic in the game as-is, as feats don't come online until 4th level, if you aren't a Variant Human.

warty goblin
2015-04-08, 11:57 AM
Back in the latter days of AD&D they released a book called the Combat and Tactics guide. It had simple but useful rules to make weapons better especially when AD&D basically made anything that wasn't the Long Sword/Bow and Darts worthless

Plate armor gives you an AC of 18, which makes a character with dexterity mod zero roughly 40% harder to damage in armor than out of it. A mace would negate a full quarter of that differential, which is vastly too high. You can hammer a guy in plate armor straight in the chest with your mace, and he'll survive with some bruising, but do the same to Joe Unarmored and his ribs will be so many bone shards.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-08, 01:27 PM
Plate armor gives you an AC of 18, which makes a character with dexterity mod zero roughly 40% harder to damage in armor than out of it. A mace would negate a full quarter of that differential, which is vastly too high. You can hammer a guy in plate armor straight in the chest with your mace, and he'll survive with some bruising, but do the same to Joe Unarmored and his ribs will be so many bone shards.

Sounds more like plate should reduce damage rather than raise AC. That said, yeah you're fundamentally right. The difference afforded by one point of AC is significant when opponent's attack bonuses are considered. If an opponent needs to roll a 14 to hit me, and I raise that to 15, I'm getting hit with 5/6th as many attacks.

Notably, this has less of an impact when opponent bonuses are 9 or 11, and additional feats and sources of AC are needed to keep the same ratio.

warty goblin
2015-04-08, 02:16 PM
Sounds more like plate should reduce damage rather than raise AC. That said, yeah you're fundamentally right. The difference afforded by one point of AC is significant when opponent's attack bonuses are considered. If an opponent needs to roll a 14 to hit me, and I raise that to 15, I'm getting hit with 5/6th as many attacks.

Notably, this has less of an impact when opponent bonuses are 9 or 11, and additional feats and sources of AC are needed to keep the same ratio.
It gets really weird when you realize that a person with 18 dex and a choice between fighting in ringmail and stark naked should make this choice based entirely on whether the other guy shows up with a mace or a longsword.

On the note of armor as damage reduction, there's a lot of things that if you're into weapons and armor it'd be nice for D&D* to do differently. Most notably:

A relatively small capability to survive damage
A relatively large capability for skilled combatants to avoid being damaged, particularly when there's a high skill differential between adversaries
Armor that reduces damage
Weapons redesigned to behave appropriately around armor.

So really I'd just do armor as flat-out damage reduction and coverage, which some weapons - possibly depending wielder technique - ignore to some extent. The temptation is to make piercing weapons have bonuses against armor, but I think this over-homogenizes things, since both rapiers and the backspike of a two handed warhammer would probably be modeled as doing piercing damage, but only one of them has a chance to penetrate plate armor.

So for example Sally the fighter is wearing a breastplate and fighting with a poleaxe, like a sensible person. Let's suppose the breastplate offers a damage reduction of 10, and a coverage of 5. Bob, her adversary, is wearing only padded armor and fighting with a sword and shield. Padded has a coverage of 8, but only a DR of 3. Being lighter on his feet, Bob wins initiative, and may now attack Sally. He can either attack at his normal bonus, in which case his attack will suffer -10 damage due to Sally's armor, or he can try to strike around or through gaps in Sally's armor, and suffer a -5 to hit due to coverage. Since a sword only does 1d8 and offers no damage penetration, Bob has no choice but to attack around Sally's armor.

Sally's poleaxe does 2d8 with 2 points of penetration (seriously, poleaxes kick ass), so she's got no reason to try to avoid Bob's armor, and can simply gore him wherever she wants. Bob misses his defense, and suffers 12 points of damage, which is enough to half kill him. Bob had better hope Sally's in a prisoner-ransoming sort of mood.

*Or more specifically, all those clones of D&D. I've got no beef with D&D working the way it does. There's no reason for so many other games to insist on the same though.

HoarsHalberd
2015-04-09, 04:22 AM

This would make rogues terrifyingly powerful. Dual Wielder feat and this allows the potential for 3*SA a turn.

MrStabby
2015-04-09, 05:14 AM
This would make rogues terrifyingly powerful. Dual Wielder feat and this allows the potential for 3*SA a turn.

At least Polearm Mastery doesn't have any finesse Polearms.

HoarsHalberd
2015-04-09, 05:45 AM
At least Polearm Mastery doesn't have any finesse Polearms.

Yup, this is an arguably more reliable proc than sentinel (if you're in melee, they'll attack you anyway as you're likely to be the squishiest person there) that allows you a second reaction (only thing I can think of in the game that gives you a second reaction) and as a bonus removes one attack from existence and makes the second one much less likely to hit.

darkscizor
2015-04-10, 09:27 PM
With the longbow, longsword, battleaxes, and warhammers being popular options, giving feats to uncommon weapons makes sense. However, feats made for common weapons should be lower-powere. Im sure that a lot of players would like to have a player that does more damage or has a cool weapon feat, but I can't really imagine a ranger using a heavy crossbow, even with Crossbow Expert.
For every rogue using a blowgun, fighter smashing heads in with a mace, or bard fighting with a whip, there's at least a dozen unoriginal fighters with longswords, rogues with daggers, and bards carrying rapiers.
And I kind of like that, it just makes the game different. Maybe it's good that players have the option of going the road less travelled by and being unique. But if no one is using a flail just because warhammers are versatile and a flail dosen't have many mechanical benefits, then clearly some action has to be taken to make the flail a more desirable choice.

Vogonjeltz
2015-04-10, 09:40 PM
That the feat was stronger than an ASI was more or less a design goal of mine, since with melee weapons one very quickly reaches the point where additional strength is not nearly as important as additional skill. Ergo a person who intends to fight with a striking weapon and who invests in how best to use that weapon should have a substantial advantage over somebody who spends their time pumping iron, and that one of the more dangerous places in the world should be in the striking range of such a person.

Deliberately unbalancing the game was your goal? Well I guess I have nothing to add to your idea then, my goal in design is to provide reasonable options not imbalanced required or nothing things.