PDA

View Full Version : How to do a garrote

Naanomi
2015-04-06, 08:29 PM
I have a player wanting to use a garrote. Any suggestions on how to model it? My first attempt (1d6 finesse two handed martial weapon ~but no GWF option~, need to grapple to use; silenced the grappled person) off the cuff seemed abuseable in hindsight. Any suggestions?

Ralanr
2015-04-06, 08:36 PM
What if it could only be used for sneak attacks? Just a special weapon. I can't imagine a garrote being used in combat very well.

Realistically anyway. Looking at you Hellsing.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-06, 09:10 PM
I imagine it would be used while grappling and deal damage so long as the grapple is maintained. I'd say use the suffocation rules so long as one maintains the grapple. Rogues would be very good at this if they take expertise in athletics.

Naanomi
2015-04-06, 09:20 PM
I imagine it would be used while grappling and deal damage so long as the grapple is maintained. I'd say use the suffocation rules so long as one maintains the grapple. Rogues would be very good at this if they take expertise in athletics.
Oh, I like the ideas of using suffocation rules!

This ends up pretty complex for a 5e 'weapon' though, no matter which route I end up pursuing

j_spencer93
2015-04-06, 09:25 PM
what about using the web garrote that the spider eater thing has?

Gritmonger
2015-04-06, 09:47 PM
Oh, I like the ideas of using suffocation rules!

This ends up pretty complex for a 5e 'weapon' though, no matter which route I end up pursuing

Think it's do-able, though - "Net" is one of the special weapons in 5e, and it's not exactly simple raw damage. Suffocation would require holding the garotte in place for two to three turns of ten rounds each, which is not quite practical, and doesn't mimic the cutting off of blood to the brain that is more characteristic of strangulation than simply cutting off air. Not to be gruesome, but adding damage to suffocation would mimic this, roughly.

Taken from the Ettercap -

Garotte - 5' range, two handed, special.

The garotte can only be used when the attacker has advantage, and the target, once attacked, is considered grappled in addition to taking 1d4 (+ Str) bludgeoning damage per round and cannot breathe until the grapple is broken. While using the garotte, the attacker cannot perform any other action that requires a free hand and maintain the grapple.

In this version, the attack continues automatically, rather than with the Ettercap, which provides advantage on attacks against the target (meaning the bludgeoning attack has to be made again each round, rather than being an ongoing effect like the suffocation). It is a two-handed strangulation, rather than what it appears to be with the ettercap: a lasso of web.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-06, 09:56 PM
Think it's do-able, though - "Net" is one of the special weapons in 5e, and it's not exactly simple raw damage. Suffocation would require holding the garotte in place for two to three turns of ten rounds each, which is not quite practical, and doesn't mimic the cutting off of blood to the brain that is more characteristic of strangulation than simply cutting off air.

Why not just halve the number of rounds it takes to suffocate, then? Lasting 15 seconds or so before passing out is not unbelievable, and the garrote's damage would be superficial once it was removed (lacerations that wouldn't stop one from fighting). Further, some monsters are immune to suffocation or grappling and would likewise be immune to garrotes for those reasons, meaning that a grapple-and-suffocation-based system would integrate perfectly with our existing system.

Treat the target as silenced and grappled, and give them five of their own turns to escape the grapple before they go unconscious. Have them automatically stabilize but suffer a death saving throw every round that the attacker continues the garroting. The garrote is a special weapon that does one damage on a successful grapple attempt and cannot be used for regular melee attacks. That's how I would do it.