PDA

View Full Version : Do these 3 poison DC boosts stack?

fluffy32
2015-04-06, 09:22 PM
feat: Poison Expert(Complete Scoundrel pg. 80). Type of Poison(contact, ingested, ...) that you create gets +1 DC.

feat: Venomous Strike: reduce sneak attack by 1d6 for +2 DC. (Drow of the Underdark 54)

Class feature: Spider Bite(EX): Attacking with poisoned weapon gives +2 DC to poison.

Would these 3 abilities stack? A total of +5 DC to any player DC seems a bit high. My understanding is that bonuses with the same type name besides "bonus" don't stack.

Snowbluff
2015-04-06, 09:23 PM
They stack unless they share a type.

Poison generally sucks. Increasing the DC is fine.

Psyren
2015-04-06, 09:30 PM
In addition to what Snowbluff said, I'm not sure I'd say that "any character" can use this either - you need alchemy for the first one (you must make the poison yourself), you need sneak attack for the second one, and you need some other class for the third. So a lot of builds at this point are deciding this combo isn't worth it.

Snowbluff
2015-04-06, 09:33 PM
Not to mention that you have to be a spellcaster to use craft: alchemy.

Psyren
2015-04-06, 10:10 PM
Not to mention that you have to be a spellcaster to use craft: alchemy.

Indeed, that's what I was getting at (though you stated it more plainly.)

While it's not hard to make a character that fits all three of these criteria, they almost certainly would be better off doing other things besides trying to make poison functional.

DarkSonic1337
2015-04-06, 10:12 PM
In general stacking rules work like this.

Are they from different named sources? (so something named "Divine Grace" won't stack with another thing named "Divine Grace").

Are they the same type? (enhancement bonus won't stack with enhancement bonus, ect).

These are all untyped bonuses from different sources, so yes they stack.

ShurikVch
2015-04-07, 07:03 AM
Do you know about the Deep Poisoning feat from Dragon #322?
For every one sacrificed d6 of Sneak Attack you get +1 DC of Poison, up to +5

WeaselGuy
2015-04-07, 07:21 AM
Isn't Craft(Poisonmaking) a thing? I thought it was a thing...

Either way, try checking out the Fistful of d6's Rogue Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6), and the Poisoner's Handbook. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0)