PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Reinforcer!

tricktroller
2015-04-07, 11:41 AM
Ok folks so I have been working on a class that I am letting a player playtest right now in a campaign I am running.

The idea behind this class is that it is the transmuter/abjurer of the warmage/beguiler/dread necro group.

So without further ado

The Reinforcer

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial0123456789
1st+0+2+0+0Somatic Weaponry, Reinforced Magic +253————————
2nd+1+3+0+0Linked Ally I64————————
3rd+2+3+1+1Bulwark I65————————
4th+3+4+1+1Shielded Casting663———————
5th+3+4+1+1Reinforce Enchantment664———————
6th+4+5+2+2Bulwark II6653——————
7th+5+5+2+2Linked Ally II6664——————
8th+6/+1+6+2+2Reinforced Magic +466653—————
9th+6/+1+6+3+3Bulwark III66664—————
10th+7/+2+7+3+3Reinforce Allies666653————
11th+8/+3+7+3+3Adaptive Bulwark666664————
12th+9/+4+8+4+4Linked Ally III, Bulwark IV6666653———
13th+9/+4+8+4+4Reinforce Metamagic6666664———
14th+10/+5+9+4+4Reinforced Magic +666666653——
15th+11/+6/+1+9+5+5Bulwark V66666664——
16th+12/+7/+2+10+5+5Linked Countermeasures666666653—
17th+12/+7/+2+10+5+5Linked Ally IV666666664—
18th+13/+8/+3+11+6+6Expanded Bulwark6666666653
19th+14/+9/+4+11+6+6Linked Lifeforce6666666664
20th+15/+10/+5+12+6+6Reinforced Magic +8, Full Reinforcement 6666666665

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Reinforcer is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all shields (including tower shields). A Reinforcer does not suffer arcane spell failure chances from shields.

Spells: A Reinforcer casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the Reinforcer Class spell list. To prepare or cast a spell, a Reinforcer must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Reinforcer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Reinforcer’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a Reinforcer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Reinforcer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score.
Somatic Weaponry:(Ex:) At first level a Reinforcer gains the Somatic Weaponry feat as a bonus feat regardless of the normal prerequisites.
Reinforced Magic:(Su:) At 1st level when a Reinforcer casts a spell that provides a bonus of any kind, add +2 to that bonus. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th, +6 at 14th, and +8 at 20th.
Linked Ally:(Su:) At 2nd level the Reinforcer may Link 1 ally to himself. This ally receives the benefits of any spells the Reinforcer casts on himself, much in the same way a familiar shares spells, but the ally does not receive the benefit of the Reinforced Magic bonus. Therefore a 2nd level Reinforcer would receive a +6 armor bonus from mage armor and his ally would receive a +4 bonus to armor class. The number of Allies the Reinforcer may link increases by 1 for every five levels he gains after 2nd i.e. 7th, 12th, 17th.
In order to Link an ally you must both spend 10 minutes of uninterrupted meditation while holding hands.
Bulwark:(Su:) As an immediate action, the Reinforcer may project a field of force 15 ft wide and 15 ft high, that provides cover, but not full cover nor concealment, to anyone behind it. This field of force lasts for one round and may be used once per day at 3rd level and an additional use every 3 levels beyond 3rd to a maximum of 5 uses per day.
Shielded Casting:(Ex:) At 4th level the Reinforcer gains the benefits of the Shielded Caster feat. This feat also functions if the Reinforcer is under the effect of a shield spell.
Reinforce Enchantment:(Su:) At 5th level a Reinforcer may increase the enhancement bonus of a magical item by spending spell slots. For each level of spell slot sacrificed, you may increase and item’s enhancement bonus by one. This temporary enhancement bonus lasts for one minute per level of the spell sacrificed. You may use this enhancement bonus to add any legal enhancement the item could have. For instance, a reinforcer spending a second level spell could change a +1 longsword into a +3 longsword or a +1 holy longsword for 2 minutes . No more than one spell may be spent at a time to increase an item’s enhancement bonus, you may not spend multiple spells to increase an item’s enhancement bonus, and you may not raise an item above the maximum legal enhancement bonus value it can possess.
Reinforce Ally: All Linked allies receive one half of the bonus provided by your Reinforce Magic ability on any spells you cast. At 10th level each of your two Linked allies would receive a +2 bonus.
Adaptive Bulwark: You may place your bulwark anywhere within close range 25 Feet +5 feet per two class levels.
Reinforce Metamagic:(Su:) A 13th level Reinforcer may spend a spell slot to reduce the metamagic costs of other casters. This ability allows another caster to use a metamagic feat without previous preparation at no additional casting time. The Reinforcer may not spend more than 1 spell at a time to reinforce another caster’s metamagic. Reduce the cost of the metamagic feat by one level per level of the spell slot sacrificed to a max of +0 levels. This ability only affects one metamagic feat per use. A wizard could cast an empowered fireball as a 3rd level spell if a reinforcer spent a 2nd level spell slot, but he would need a 6th level spell to cast a maximized empowered fireball.
Linked Countermeasure:(SU:) As an immediate action, a Reinforcer of 16th level or higher may swap any number of Linked allies as per the Benign Transposition spell with no maximum range as long as he has line of sight and line of effect. This ability is usable once per day.
Expanded Bulwark: The Reinforcer’s Bulwark ability can create a 30 foot x 30 foot wall instead of a 15 foot x 15 foot wall once per day.
Linked Lifeforce:(SU:) The Reinforcer may allocate damage from a Linked ally to himself or from himself to a Linked ally when a one of them would take damage. This ability requires that the ally or the Reinforcer take the full damage sustained by the other. An ally must willingly accept this transfer.
Full Reinforcement:(Su:) The Reinforcer may have one Linked ally receive the full benefit of his Reinforce Magic ability from spells the Reinforcer casts. This target may be changed with the same process used to Link allies.

So I'd love to hear some feedback, designing this guy was a lot of fun and I intend him to be a solid tier 3 or tier 2 character. Also tables are a giant pita.

If you have a problem with any ability please do not just say X ability is OP or Y ability is useless. While these are your opinions they do not offer any help to balancing the class. Instead try suggesting an alternate ability along the same vein.

tricktroller
2015-04-07, 11:50 AM
Oh and I forgot to put his spell list up I will do that shortly!

saving this space to place his spell list*

0th Level

Abjuration
Resistance

Transmutation
Mage Hand
Mending
Stick

1st Level

Abjuration
Alarm
Endure Elements
Ironguts
Protection from Chaos,Law,Good,Evil

Transmutation
Enlarge Person
Expeditious Retreat
Expeditious Retreat, Swift
Eyes of the Avoral
Feather Fall
Fist of Stone
Jump
Kaupaer’s Skittish Nerves
Low-Light Vision
Mage Armor
Magic Weapon
Reduce Person

2nd Level

Abjuration
Arcane Lock
Protection from Arrows
Resist Energy

Transmutation
Alter Self
Bear’s Endurance
Blindsight
Bull’s Strength
Cat’s Grace
Darkvision
Fly, Swift
Levitate
Lively Step
Owl’s Wisdom
Spider Climb
Stone Bones
Wraithstrike

3rd Level

Abjuration
Magic Circle against Chaos, Evil, Good, Law
Protection from Chaos
Nondetection
Protection from Energy
Reverse Arrows
Protection from
Arrows

Transmutation
Amorphous Form
Blink
Burrow
Deeper Darkvision
Fly
Gaseous Form
Haste
Mage Hand, Greater
Mage Hand
Magic Weapon, Greater
Scorpion Tail
Spiderskin
Walk the Mountain’s Path

4th Level

Abjuration
Anticipate Teleportation
Dimensional Anchor
Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser
Remove Curse
Resist Energy, Mass
Stoneskin
Wall of Chaos
Magic Circle against
Law
Wall of Evil
Magic Circle against
Good
Wall of Good
Magic Circle against
Evil
Wall of Law
Magic Circle against
Chaos

Transmutation
Darkvision, Mass
Darsson’s Potion
Enlarge Person, Mass
Fire Stride
Dimension Door
Gutsnake
Polymorph
Rary’s Mnemonic Enhancer
Reduce Person, Mass
Stone Shape
Superior Darkvision

5th Level

Abjuration
Break Enchantment
Ironguard, Lesser
Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum
Watchware

Transmutation
Animal Growth
Blink, Improved / Greater
Fly, Mass
Luzaen’s Frequent Jaunt
Dimension Door
Nightstalker’s Transformation
Passwall
Shape Metal
Stone Shape
Simbul’s Spell Matrix
Telekinesis
Transmute Mud to Rock
Transmute Rock to Mud

Universal
Permanency

6th Level

Abjuration
Antimagic Field
Gate Seal
Gate
Portal
Globe of Invulnerability
Lesser Globe
of Invulnerability
Guards and Wards
Repulsion

Transmutation
Bear’s Endurance, Mass
Bear’s
Endurance
Bull’s Strength, Mass
Bull’s Strength
Burrow, Mass
Burrow
Cat’s Grace, Mass
Cat’s Grace
Cloak of the Sea
Blur, Freedom of
Movement,
Water Breathing
Control Water
Energy Transformation Field
Fiendform
Polymorph
Flesh to Stone
Hardening
Mordenkainen’s Lucubration
Move Earth
Owl’s Wisdom, Mass
Owl’s Wisdom
Stone Body
Stone to Flesh
Tenser’s Transformation

7th Level

Abjuration
Antimagic Aura
Antimagic Field
Energy Immunity
Ironguard, Greater
Ruby Ray of Reversal
Sequester
Spell Turning

Transmutation
Control Weather
Eladrin Form
Ethereal Jaunt
Gemjump
Ghostform
Reverse Gravity
Simbul’s Spell Sequencer
Statue
Stone Shape, Greater
Teleport, Mass
Teleport

8th Level

Abjuration
Anticipate Teleportation, Greater
Dimensional Lock
Mind Blank
Protection from Spells
Spell Engine
Transcribe Symbol

Transmutation
Blackstaff
Earth Glide
Excavate
Iron Body
Polymorph Any Object
Simbul’s Skeletal Deliquescence
Temporal Stasis

9th Level

Abjuration
Absorption
Elminster’s Effulgent Epuration
Freedom
Imprisonment
Mystra’s Miasma
Solid Fog
Unbinding

Transmutation
Alamanther’s Return
Etherealness
Shapechange
Simbul’s Spell Trigger
Time Stop
Transmute Rock to Lava

So this is what I have so far. I am planning to add the bite of the were-x line of spells at the same level druids get them to this list. Let me know what you think!

TheYell
2015-04-09, 02:37 PM
Reinforce Enchantment should come in later, because early on, using a spell slot to cast an enchantment with the +2 bonus of Reinforce Magic will be equal to what you'd get sacrificing a level 3 or 4 spell slot.

The Quintessential Paladin has a Martyr prestige class you might want to look at -- benefit others by taking damage

tricktroller
2015-04-09, 02:40 PM
Reinforce magic does not benefit reinforce enchantment because it is an ability not a spell.

TheYell
2015-04-09, 05:27 PM
OK I see the distinction between boosting the sword to give X a better attack, and casting a spell to give X a better attack.

tricktroller
2015-04-10, 08:51 AM
Yeah with spells you get whatever buff they give and the addition of the reinforce magic. With Reinforce enchantment you add a temporary +1 enhancement bonus per level of spell spent to boost it. That way you could spend a third level spell and give your sword the Speed property.

andreichekov
2015-04-16, 03:18 PM
This class is very well done.

tricktroller
2015-04-27, 07:47 AM
Thanks! I tried to make sure it was well balanced and that it still had some unique things to offer.

tricktroller
2015-05-11, 07:10 AM
So we have played about 10 sessions so far and I let one of my players use the Reinforcer.

It is pretty sweet.

The main cause for concern so far has been the spell list. With the current spell list, which I rewrote from here, the player has access to alter self, bite of the x, shield, and I made mage armor a transmutation effect for the class. So the main cause for concern that I have currently is the sky high ac of the wizard, which isn't anything out of the ordinary with things like abjurant champion. The nice thing about the class so far is that the player doesn't really have an interest in PRCing out. The class offers enough benefits over the course of its levels to make it balanced and fun to play.

If anyone has any questions I'd love to hear them!

ezkajii
2015-05-11, 11:57 AM
First off, I'd like to say that I generally like the idea of the class; picking out the thematic overlap between abjuration and transmutation was a good move. In the interest of thoroughness, here are the notes I had on the reinforcer.

Not having good will saves is a little strange for a primary caster. I would maybe add the will save in addition to the good fort, but reduce the BAB to 1/2HD. It takes away a little from the feel I think you're going for of the reinforcer as a combatant-caster, but I feel like it should be mostly a casting class, since it has full casting progression.

Typically arcane spells are either Int or Cha based, rather than Wisdom. I don't think it's ever explicitly stated that you can't do that, but I would recommend changing it for consistency.

Somatic Weaponry should clarify that you gain the benefit of the feat despite not qualifying for it.

Abilities should state Ex, Sp, or Su, where applicable.

Shielded Casting: In the description it reads "shielded caster".

Reinforce Metamagic ought to have a daily use limit. As it stands, at 15th-level reinforcer can give away 6 (plus any bonus spells/day) free persisted spells. Also it doesn't really seem to fit the flavor of the class (strengthening allies and providing protection).

Linked Countermeasure isn't bolded/underlined like other class features.

I would recommend adding select non-abjur/trans spells to the spell list, and then including an Advanced Learning option (like warmage/beguiler/dread necro possess) that limits to abjur/trans. For instance, things like wall of force come to mind.

tricktroller
2015-05-11, 12:40 PM
First off, I'd like to say that I generally like the idea of the class; picking out the thematic overlap between abjuration and transmutation was a good move. In the interest of thoroughness, here are the notes I had on the reinforcer.

Not having good will saves is a little strange for a primary caster. I would maybe add the will save in addition to the good fort, but reduce the BAB to 1/2HD. It takes away a little from the feel I think you're going for of the reinforcer as a combatant-caster, but I feel like it should be mostly a casting class, since it has full casting progression.
-This goes along with the caster being based off of wisdom. I like that it isn't another charisma or intelligence based caster much like the Archivist fulfills a divine caster with intelligence role.

Typically arcane spells are either Int or Cha based, rather than Wisdom. I don't think it's ever explicitly stated that you can't do that, but I would recommend changing it for consistency.

Somatic Weaponry should clarify that you gain the benefit of the feat despite not qualifying for it.
-That will be clarified

Abilities should state Ex, Sp, or Su, where applicable.
- Done

Shielded Casting: In the description it reads "shielded caster".
-The feat they gain is Shielded Caster.

Reinforce Metamagic ought to have a daily use limit. As it stands, at 15th-level reinforcer can give away 6 (plus any bonus spells/day) free persisted spells. Also it doesn't really seem to fit the flavor of the class (strengthening allies and providing protection).
-What kind of limit would you impose? I like the idea of a caster who helps other caster's by helping them cast with metamagic spells. This in and of itself is strengthening his allies.

Linked Countermeasure isn't bolded/underlined like other class features.
-Fixed.

I would recommend adding select non-abjur/trans spells to the spell list, and then including an Advanced Learning option (like warmage/beguiler/dread necro possess) that limits to abjur/trans. For instance, things like wall of force come to mind.
-Wall of Force sounds good, but mostly I like the buff approach. Keep the utility spell son the other casters, this guy's magic is meant to affect living creatures and make them more powerful or make weapons etc more useful, not create walls of force to block things.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-11, 05:27 PM
These guys are meant to be kinda tough; I'd bump the HD up to a d8.

Also, Reinforce Magic seems pretty darn strong, especially early; I'd change the scaling to +1/2/3/4/5 at levels 1/5/10/15/20.

tricktroller
2015-05-12, 06:53 AM
D6 has worked fairly well so far.
What do you think about +2 to abjuration and +1 to transmutation?

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 07:34 AM
D6 has worked fairly well so far.
What do you think about +2 to abjuration and +1 to transmutation?

I guess that works. Abjuration doesn't give as many bonuses.

Actually, now that I look at it again, +2/4/6/8 at the current levels is probably fine. There aren't really any offensive buffs on the spell list, and it's harder to optimize defense than offense to begin with.

Also, you should probably add some Conjuration spells (e.g. the Wall chain). Then the spell list can have mage armor on it (you listed it as a transmutation, but that isn't actually correct) :smallbiggrin:

tricktroller
2015-05-12, 07:42 AM
I want to stay away from other utility spells like the walls and stuff because I don't want to give options beyond buffing

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-12, 07:58 AM
I want to stay away from other utility spells like the walls and stuff because I don't want to give options beyond buffing

Hm. So Mage Armor is a transmutation, but just for this class? Might want to specify that it only counts as a transmutation when cast by this class, so there isn't some abusable case via other classes' features.

tricktroller
2015-05-12, 08:00 AM
Ah good point. I'll make sure to add that caveat.

tricktroller
2015-06-10, 09:05 AM
Taking a break from this game for a little while, when we get back to it I'll let you know what I find as we get into higher levels.

tricktroller
2015-07-30, 09:22 AM
So hopefully I'm not violating threadcromancy policies here, however I wanted to update this post and let people know that we will be beginning the game again in a few weeks and I will be able to give more results. The game should hopefully run up to 15 or even 20th level so I'll be able to give a decent idea of what this guy can do. Also the player with the reinforcer is one of our heaviest optimizers so I'm seeing pretty much the top end of what the class can do.

Adam1949
2015-07-30, 01:57 PM
This class looks really neat! I like the overall concept of it; it feels like a more balanced Abjurant Champion over 20 levels.

The class' chassis feels a bit on the weak side, if I'm honest; a d6 Hit Die, Medium BAB, and only good Fort feels strange, even once you add on the spellcasting and other class abilities. The bad Will save can be mitigated by the class' reliance on Wisdom as their casting score, and looking over at both the Warmage and the Dread Necromancer this class technically has a better chassis (with a better BAB than either of them), so it can be forgiven.

What are this classes' skills? I've scoured the entire first post but can't find a list of skills.

The spell selection feels somewhat anemic, with only having Abjuration and Transmutation. For comparison, the Dread Necromancer has Enchantment, Abjuration, Transmutation, Conjuration, Divination, and of course Necromancy in regards to spells they can access at 1st level. They have thematically appropriate spells from multiple schools even if they aren't 'strictly in-style'; for instance, you'd be hard-pressed to imagine a necromancer without Hide From Undead and Detect Undead, despite not being Necromancy spells.

Otherwise, the class is pretty fun-looking!

tricktroller
2015-07-31, 07:58 AM
Ah well the reason you can't find class skills is because I never made a list! Silly me. I'm too used to my group where we don't use class/cross-class skills.

As far as the spell list goes, I wanted to keep it a little anemic this first run through, although the player using it so far has had no problems whatsoever making the best use of the spells he already has. If you have some suggestions for buffs to add I'd be happy to look them over and see about including them!

I did keep the chasis kind of weak, and the main reason for that is buffs. He only has a d6 hit die, but when he can cast bite of the were boar at 8th level and gain +8 to strength +10 to con an d+12 to natural armor, you don't really need high base hit dice. I've thought several times now about swapping out the high fort for just high will but I really wanted this guy to be different from all other casters.