PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Throwing multiple daggers or alchemical items

Oryan77
2015-04-07, 11:44 AM
Are there rules for throwing multiple daggers or alchemical items using the same action?

Occasionally, players expect to be able to reach into a container and grab a handful of items and throw them in the same action. For example, throwing more than one Stonebreaker Acid at a wall to create a hole through it by grabbing a handful of the vials as a move action and throwing them using the same attack action.

I've also wondered about characters that want to excel at throwing daggers. They do so much less damage than most other "go-to" weapons, so I was wondering if there was a rule for unsheathing multiple daggers with one hand and throwing them on the same attack action.

Naez
2015-04-07, 11:49 AM
The Master Thrower PrC has 2 tricks that can sort of do that. Palm throw allows you to throw two small items anytime you would normally throw one and Doubletoss allows you to throw 2 items as a standard action.

EDIT: As for your issue with burning actions drawing items look at the Quick Draw feat. Drawing weapons (like throwing knives, shuriken, etc.) is a completely free action with it.

Zaq
2015-04-07, 11:57 AM
If you have multiple attacks available (from high BAB, Rapid Shot, TWF, or another source), and you have a way of getting all the things you want to throw in your hands at once (either Quick Draw or just not throwing more things than you have hands), you can make multiple attacks as part of a full attack action, and that works just as well for daggers or alchemical items or whatever. However, the rules don't allow for "grabbing a handful" and throwing them all at once. As I see it, if you're not throwing them one at a time (even if that's several in one full attack), you don't have enough control over where they're going to actually do anything effective with them. If your goal was just to break the vials or something, then sure, I can see allowing that, but you're not actually going to do any noticeable amount of damage with them.

The TWF rules actually simulate that pretty well, now that I think about it. A character without the TWF feat can still use the TWF action, gaining an extra attack in the process. The downside is that you take massive attack roll penalties if you try to do this without the TWF feat—you take a –6 on your main hand and a –10 on your off-hand normally, or a –4 on your main hand and a –8 on your off-hand if your off-hand weapon is light. So that's a way for you to grab a handful of acid flasks (more than you can usually handle) and kind of blindly fling them—you're way less accurate than if you actually took your time and tossed them purposefully, but you can throw more than you would normally be able to throw.