PDA

View Full Version : Recaster's Requirements: Race: Changeling.

Pippin
2015-04-07, 02:58 PM
Hello playground,

Recasters (http://dndtools.pw/classes/recaster/) look cool but you must be a changeling. This race isn't really nice compared to a Wild Gnome with INT +2, CON +2. Is there any way to bypass this requirement?

OldTrees1
2015-04-07, 03:10 PM
I do not know a way to bypass the requirement and remain a Wild Gnome. However I would note that +2 Int / +2 Con is not that big a deal for a primary caster (9002 and 9001 are both over 9000).

Snowbluff
2015-04-07, 03:15 PM
Man, you just don't get it. Only changelings can do it, because it requires their flexible nature. Changeling isn't a bad race, either.

Pippin
2015-04-07, 03:24 PM
I do not know a way to bypass the requirement and remain a Wild Gnome. However I would note that +2 Int / +2 Con is not that big a deal for a primary caster (9002 and 9001 are both over 9000).
I'm not sure what numbers you have in mind behind 9000, but yes both losses are huge.

-2 INT -> DC is decreased by 1, and you lose one 6/7/8/9th-level spell slot.
-2 CON -> You lose 20 HPs at Lv20, and you don't have that many HPs.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-07, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure what numbers you have in mind behind 9000, but yes both losses are huge.

-2 INT -> DC is decreased by 1, and you lose one 6/7/8/9th-level spell slot.
-2 CON -> You lose 20 HPs at Lv20, and you don't have that many HPs.

A single spell slot, +1 DC and 20hp isn't that much at level 20. Not that they're not nice to have, but i'd rather take a bonus feat. You don't really need either, because primary casters are gods.
Getting higher numbers is easy enough, to the point where your DM is likely to ask you to tone it down anyway long before you reach the limit if you bother to optimize.
The ability to get a few spells from any list may be worth a lot more than that, if you choose good ones.

As for your question, you may be able to get around it with a liberal interpretation of the Ritual of Association from Savage Species, but i wouldn't bet on it.
Otherwise you usually take changeling to count as another race, not the other way around. :smalltongue: