PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Open Palm Stun

MadGrady
2015-04-07, 03:23 PM
So one of my players is a level 6 Way of the Open Hand monk, and he has the ability to force a Stun check on one of the creatures he attacks with his Flurry of Blows. This check is a Constitution save, and, if failed, the stunned condition lasts until the end of the Monk's next turn.

Problem is, he gets like 4 chances to try to stun (if he wants to spend the ki) and Con is such a weak save already that I was forced to DM override one, just so the combat actually happened (prior two combats he stunned main guy as well as minions and allowed party to just mop up everything).

I was sort of frustrated with this mechanic, but I don't want to hinder the player's character concept - whcih is really good, and is a character from one of our old campaigns rebuilt - so there is some sentimentality and some deep character investment going on - both of which I wholeheartedly support.

So my question is this - what tips/advice do you guys have for mitigating this condition?

EvanescentHero
2015-04-07, 03:26 PM
Use enemies with better Con saves?

MadGrady
2015-04-07, 03:28 PM
Use enemies with better Con saves?

Perhaps should have stated that we are playing a Pirate campaign, very very low magic. Options are not as plentiful as they would be otherwise.

EvanescentHero
2015-04-07, 03:29 PM
Perhaps should have stated that we are playing a Pirate campaign, very very low magic. Options are not as plentiful as they would be otherwise.

Well, how about tossing more enemies at them so that the monk can't stun everybody before combat begins?

Oscredwin
2015-04-07, 03:33 PM
More enemies (in one combat or in multiple combats) per short rest.

MadGrady
2015-04-07, 03:34 PM
Well, how about tossing more enemies at them so that the monk can't stun everybody before combat begins?

This is definitely one of the options I will be utilizing next time. Lots more lower CR vs 1-2 higher CR will help mitigate this yes.

Good suggestion

Mr.Moron
2015-04-07, 03:37 PM

What are using as stats for the Pirates? I don't see open palm generally as problem it costs a resource and has two points of failure on each attempt.

However if you're using really same-y stats for all the pirates and that happens to be low AC, low con save I can see where it could be trouble.

You could probably have different "classes" of pirates that interact with different players abilities in different ways. It's hard to get into specifics without knowing the rest of the parties composition, but just avoid making everything too samey.

MadGrady
2015-04-07, 03:49 PM
What are using as stats for the Pirates? I don't see open palm generally as problem it costs a resource and has two points of failure on each attempt.

However if you're using really same-y stats for all the pirates and that happens to be low AC, low con save I can see where it could be trouble.

You could probably have different "classes" of pirates that interact with different players abilities in different ways. It's hard to get into specifics without knowing the rest of the parties composition, but just avoid making everything too samey.

I've been mainly using the Thug and Bandit Captain NPCs from the Monster Manual. However, I've also used some large creatures such as Giant Crocodile and Giant Scorpions (campaign has a Jules Verne feel). Kuo Toa have also made an appearance.

Most of these have been right out of the book, no changes at all made. So might take some baddies and tweak. Im definitely interested in using multiple baddies - though I only have a party of three, so have to be careful about overwhelming them, and there are no heals outside of Short Rests/Healing Surges (using Healing Surge Variant from DMG).

I don't want to continually railroad failure of a main class ability for him, and this was the first game where he utilized it heavily, so it stood out in my mind.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-07, 04:18 PM
I've been mainly using the Thug and Bandit Captain NPCs from the Monster Manual. However, I've also used some large creatures such as Giant Crocodile and Giant Scorpions (campaign has a Jules Verne feel). Kuo Toa have also made an appearance.

Most of these have been right out of the book, no changes at all made. So might take some baddies and tweak. Im definitely interested in using multiple baddies - though I only have a party of three, so have to be careful about overwhelming them, and there are no heals outside of Short Rests/Healing Surges (using Healing Surge Variant from DMG).

I don't want to continually railroad failure of a main class ability for him, and this was the first game where he utilized it heavily, so it stood out in my mind.

Stretch out a bit. There could be different "Classes" of pirates. That interact with player abilities in interesting ways.

Maybe there are some pirates with really low ac and crap con saves, but super strong attacks and high HP. These are things that demand to be stunned, since they're dangerous, can't be easily killed out of hand but are easily CC'd by the fist.

Maybe there are some pirates with really high AC, high con saves, but low hit points and shift Dex saves. and travel in groups. Great targets for a wizard, sorc or other blowing up guys.

Maybe there are some pirates that high saves, low hp, low ac and hard hitting with a powerful counter-attack, great targets for an archer or direct magic attacks. Very dangerous to try and stun since if he fails he's very likely in for a huge attack.

Mix up the varities in a single fight, and all of sudden people have a reason to show off all their unique powers. I tend to find the default humanoid enemies to be painfully vanilla. Spice it up, a little.