PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder the Vessel, a martial summoning class (PoW, WIP, PEACH)

stack
2015-04-07, 03:49 PM
So, I've done a bit of homebrewing for DSP's Path of War materials, though it seems to not have caught the interest of many, good or bad. This one is a bit more unique, inspired by a conversation regarding a summoner archetype for PoW:E. My idea, to have the summoner summon incarnations of the different disciplines, got little traction and the end result, Ssalarn's mirrored soul, is a great addition to the line-up, but the idea stuck with me. So, without further ado,

the Vessel (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t_laUkdT7BFCuH1R37hsZztMP8kdBmE3IX6BCrWQPBM/edit?usp=sharing)

I have not yet completed all the abilities for the imprints of the different disciplines, as that is quite a bit of work and I'm running low on ideas at the moment. Suggestions are welcome.

Thealtruistorc
2015-04-07, 05:39 PM
This is an interesting class, and I can see it working fairly well. However, the rulings on Imprints are unclear. How big is it? What are its saving throws like? If I were you, I would make the imprint summons have stats identical to Astral constructs, but their forms would progress slower (level 1 at 1st, 2 at 4th, 3 at 7th, etc) and maybe have afew set customizations based on discipline.

Also, several imprints seem underarmed. The Iron tortoise should have another weapon, and the Scarlet throne should definitely wield something more potent (a falchion or glaive would work). There are others as well.

Finally, it would be neat for the higher level Broken Blade imprint abilities to enchant your unarmed strikes. That was sort of what caused monks to lag behind.

stack
2015-04-07, 05:42 PM
Size and saves are listed, medium and uses the vessel's saves, though cribbing from astral construct is an interesting idea. Scarlet throne gets improved critical for the rapier, iron tortoise gets bonuses too, so I did try to balance them somewhat with the special entries.

Thealtruistorc
2015-04-07, 06:18 PM
Scarlet throne gets improved critical for the rapier, iron tortoise gets bonuses too, so I did try to balance them somewhat with the special entries.

The issue with that approach is that both disciplines are engineered with the hope that your other hand is being used for something. It's nigh-impossible to fight with a shield and no sword, and rapiers were engineered to never be useable outside of duels.

Almarck
2015-04-07, 08:57 PM
Well this is certainly unusual. Kinda surprised DSP never considered a class that is able to technically get every manuvers before. But oh well.

The one thing that sticks out to me is that there seems to be no text to describe replacing your special weapon or what to do when it is lost or destroyed bug I might have just missed it.

Additionally you may want to alter the crafting rules for this class as it is unable to cast spells any enchantments it wants to put on it will be really hard dcs if the gm wants to be a stricter abiut it.
Also might have missed this but do properties gained from leveling up count against the vessel when crafting the weapon and cost to upgrade?

stack
2015-04-07, 09:57 PM
Well this is certainly unusual. Kinda surprised DSP never considered a class that is able to technically get every manuvers before. But oh well.

The one thing that sticks out to me is that there seems to be no text to describe replacing your special weapon or what to do when it is lost or destroyed bug I might have just missed it.

Additionally you may want to alter the crafting rules for this class as it is unable to cast spells any enchantments it wants to put on it will be really hard dcs if the gm wants to be a stricter abiut it.
Also might have missed this but do properties gained from leveling up count against the vessel when crafting the weapon and cost to upgrade?
Ancestral weapons can be replaced with an 8 hour ritual, no cost. The properties don't count against enchantment limits, but I need to call that out. Good catch. As for crafting rules, boosting spellcraft will be easy enough once I write the imprints for the disciplines that have spellcraft as their skill, so I'm not too worried about the DC.