PDA

View Full Version : Hat, vs umbrella, vs hood

TheThan
2015-04-07, 04:14 PM
So it’s raining today. Which is magnificent, we’re in an epic level drought so literally every drop of water helps (unfortunately this rain won’t break the drought). But it’s nice to see it rain for once.

Anyway I had to go out in it this morning so I grabbed my rain hat, threw on a jacket and stepped out side to do my business. While doing said business I noticed someone drop their umbrella and the wind carry it away. They caught up with it after a short moment, but that got me thinking…
What rain protection do you prefer and why?

A fully brimmed hat, like a cowboy hat or a military style bush hat, really anything with a full brim is hands free. It isn’t attached to your outer garment giving you options on what to wear, (allowing you to layer up or down as necessary), is less prone to the ravages of the wind and is very easy to use. It’s my headgear of choice rain or shine. Those wide brims block the sun as well keeping you cool and preventing sunburns and reducing the chances of heatstroke… very important things to consider in a hot and dry area like where I live.

Umbrellas by comparison require at least one hand to operate and get caught in the wind very easily. They’re cumbersome to use and a bit difficult to deploy; especially with your hands full. Besides most of the ones I’ve had personal experience with have been… well not very good quality. However umbrellas can be used to block the sun as well (and do it quite well), but those drawbacks still exist. And besides you don’t look very manly going about your day with an open umbrella on your shoulder.

Hoods are hands free, but they’re attached to your outerwear so you must wear that article of clothing. This limits your options and makes it so you can get caught in inappropriate clothing (either too warm or too cold). Also they do little to block the sun and because they’re attached to a jacket, it’s not usually a good idea to be wearing one in a high heat environment. I’ve always found that hoods tend to be a bit of a hassle to deploy (particularly any that roll up into a collar of a jacket) and really block my hearing, making it difficult to hear anything that’s not directly in front of me.

Flickerdart
2015-04-07, 04:44 PM
A proper umbrella is miles classier than a cowboy hat. Plus you can use it to shield more than just your head and shoulders - if you're wearing a hat to protect yourself from the rain, good luck keeping your coat or pants dry.

Scarlet Knight
2015-04-07, 06:46 PM
I have and use all three depending on the situation.

First choice: Cowboy hat
Great in rain and snow with bonus cool points
Lousy in the wind, can't wear it near barns or I look like a poser.

Next : Hood
Convenient, best in wind & snow
Cuts down peripheral vision when crossing streets , lots, etc.

Third choice Umbrella
best for dress occasions
Bad in wind, provides no warmth in cold
Good in sun but minus cool points if used that way without Victorian garb

Aliquid
2015-04-07, 11:11 PM
Few people in my parts wear full brim hats, and nobody wears cowboy hats. Also, I get pretty serious hat-head...

All my jackets have hoods, so I typically just pop it up when it is raining. Although it is annoying loosing the peripheral vision, especially when crossing the street (which is bad enough in the rain already).

Umbrellas are handy when it isn't windy. They keep your whole body dry, not just your head. My biggest problem is forgetting them and leaving them behind if the rain lets up (at a restaurant, at a friends house, at work...etc).

oh, and I do deal with rain a lot... over 40% of the days in a year are "rainy days" around here.

razorback
2015-04-07, 11:19 PM
Must be in the same neck of the woods.

Heavy rain/snow is a jacket with a hood.
I have a big head, 8+ depending on brand, but I found a military type bush hat at an army surplus that fits well enough but I mostly use that for hiking and that sort of thing.

Most of the time, rain or shine, I'm on a motorcycle so I'm wearing a helmet and the rest I just don't worry about it.

Eloel
2015-04-07, 11:32 PM
Well, depending on the place, umbrella may not be an option.
The following is an actual sculpture from Seattle, telling you to NOT use umbrella. (big picture)
http://72ppi.us/photoblog/cache/b1/8a/b18a992dc211cadac6a081eaa980a123.jpg

Jaycemonde
2015-04-07, 11:41 PM
All.

stupid text limits

Aedilred
2015-04-08, 12:52 AM
My first choice is always an umbrella, wind permitting. I usually wear a hat these days, although rarely one so waterproof that I'd rely on it for sole rain protection (I do have one leather hat which is great at keeping the rain off, but is not often appropriate to wear). I do find that wind likely to cause significant problems with an umbrella is likely to cause problems with hats as well, though.

I almost never wear a hood unless I'm out walking or something in which case usual considerations go out of the window anyway. Some of my casual jackets have a hood but even if it is raining I rarely think to put it up, especially if I am also wearing a hat.

As with Aliquid, my biggest problem with umbrellas is losing them, closely followed by not having one with me when it starts raining. I do try to carry a small fold-up one with me just in case but that only works if I'm taking a bag anyway and sometimes I still forget (or am without an umbrella generally, as I am at the moment: I chivalrously lent out my last one and never got it back).

Madcrafter
2015-04-08, 01:58 AM
Umbrella is the go to choice, since I almost always am carrying a backpack and it will give me coverage to mid-thigh. Also because my rainjacket will quickly get saturated and start dripping on my pants in typical rain conditions. I find if you are used to using an umbrella, wind, even the really strong gusts you may get between close buildings, aren't really a problem.

Hood is the backup if it is heavy rain and I don't have my umbrella with me, but I don't find it ideal for the reasons others have stated, so if the rain is light I won't bother wearing it.

Hats are very uncommon around here (in general, not just for rain). Most people use an umbrella. And we're also looking at close to 50% rainy days on average over the year.

Alent
2015-04-08, 02:38 AM
A hat and a good hydrophobic jacket with extra layers over the shoulders.

Umbrellas are just something extra to lose/break.

banjo1985
2015-04-08, 08:04 AM
Umbrella for me, as long as there's not much wind. One of those big, golf umbrella thingies, so I can use it to get people out of my way when boarding trains, and to ensure street urchins retain the previously agreed ten and a half feet of distance away from me at all times. Yes, it has to be a very big umbrella.

Second choice would be a magnificent hat. Big brim to keep the rain and/or sun off, and preferably waterproof.

Last would be the hood. They're crap. They're even more affected by wind than umbrellas, look daft, make you half deaf, and obliterate your peripheral vision. They're a danger, a danger I say!

Cespenar
2015-04-08, 08:15 AM
Umbrellas may look cool for the classily dressed, but you'd never catch me walking around with one hand held constantly up like a cripple. Nah, hoods and hats for me.

Also, wearing hoods properly (a little to the back like a chain coif, instead of letting it hang down to your eyes) doesn't hurt your peripheral vision one bit. About blocking your hearing: it means it's keeping your ears warm, so, yeah.

Another thing I found: double hooding. :smalltongue: No, but really. The hood of a hydrophobic jacket worn over the hood of a normal sweatshirt protects well even in temperatures around -10 C.

Mauve Shirt
2015-04-08, 05:52 PM
All of the above.
I really hate the rain.

veti
2015-04-08, 07:18 PM
Umbrella is the preferred option, but it's only usable in quite a narrow range of conditions. It needs to be raining enough to make it worthwhile devoting a hand to holding the thing (and carrying it about, and remembering where you put it, when not in use), but also without significant amounts of wind, because wind is anathema to them.

But when conditions are right - they keep you as dry as humanly possible, and they also allow you to share that service with others. That's a big bonus in my opinion.

Secondary would be hood.

Hats - I have a wide-brimmed hat, but it's for sun. Very little use in the rain. To be rainproof, it'd need to be significantly heavier and harder, and that just doesn't appeal to me.

AdmiralCheez
2015-04-08, 07:29 PM
Umbrellas for me are just a nuisance. They're great at keeping you dry, but then you go indoors and drip water everywhere, and you have keep track of it to make sure you don't lose it. Plus the whole susceptible-to-wind thing means you can't even use it where you would really need it (a heavy storm).

I actually just prefer hoods, or nothing. Sure, it might blow down once in a while, but you put it back up, no big deal. If it's summer and hot out to the point I'm not wearing a jacket, then I let the rain fall and cool me down. I don't mind being wet; it's just water.

Hats I usually don't wear. I don't know why, but I just never liked wearing them. I'll wear one if I know I'm going to be outside all day, and it's not going to be windy, but other than that, I'll skip them.

Domino Quartz
2015-04-09, 01:30 AM
Umbrellas for me are just a nuisance. They're great at keeping you dry, but then you go indoors and drip water everywhere, and you have keep track of it to make sure you don't lose it. Plus the whole susceptible-to-wind thing means you can't even use it where you would really need it (a heavy storm).
Susceptible to wind? Do you not have wind-proof umbrellas in the US?

Eldan
2015-04-09, 03:28 AM
Hat, hands down. Especially since I bought a cheap knock-off tourist hat in Australia (it proved surprisingly sturdy. I just wanted it for the month or so I spent in the hotter parts of the country, but three years later, it still works.)

As for the wind, I added a chinstrap. Sure, it doesn't look as impressive anymore, but it's necessary.

Jermz
2015-04-09, 04:24 AM
To all you hat people - don't you mind that your clothes are sopping wet after wandering about in the rain without any sort of protection? Or do you all wear waterproof jackets, pants (ok, ok, trousers too) and shoes?

For me, it usually depends on several circumstances - temperature, amount of rain, wind, duration outside and what I may or may not be carrying with me. In general, for a proper downpour, I'd go for an umbrella and in a drizzle I'd probably just use a hood. I'm a big hat person and wear them constantly, but honestly, the though never crossed my mind to use a hat as rain protection. Normally, I'll just wear beanies or woolen hats.

Those advocating wide-brimmed hats as rain protection - assuming that they don't get soaked through in minutes, doesn't the rain pool around the brim? What happens if you move your head quickly? Assuming rain doesn't pool in the brim, doesn't it start to drip off onto your clothes and shoulders? I just can't see the positive value of wearing a wide-brimmed hat in the rain, so I'd be happy for explanations.

Jay R
2015-04-09, 08:54 AM
To all you hat people - don't you mind that your clothes are sopping wet after wandering about in the rain without any sort of protection? Or do you all wear waterproof jackets, pants (ok, ok, trousers too) and shoes?

We were asked about head protection, so that's all we answered. Yes, I wear a raincoat. Also shirt, pants, shoes, etc. It just wasn't part of the question.

---------

For a fairly long walk in a heavy rain, I prefer an umbrella. For a very short trip (out to the car), or in light rain, I wear an Irish wool short-brimmed country hat (not a cap).

The only time I'd use a hood is if I happen to be wearing my Gore-Tex jacket but no hat. But that rarely happens, since a balding man usually needs a hat for sun protection (or for warmth).

Eldan
2015-04-09, 09:56 AM

For me, it usually depends on several circumstances - temperature, amount of rain, wind, duration outside and what I may or may not be carrying with me. In general, for a proper downpour, I'd go for an umbrella and in a drizzle I'd probably just use a hood. I'm a big hat person and wear them constantly, but honestly, the though never crossed my mind to use a hat as rain protection. Normally, I'll just wear beanies or woolen hats.

Those advocating wide-brimmed hats as rain protection - assuming that they don't get soaked through in minutes, doesn't the rain pool around the brim? What happens if you move your head quickly? Assuming rain doesn't pool in the brim, doesn't it start to drip off onto your clothes and shoulders? I just can't see the positive value of wearing a wide-brimmed hat in the rain, so I'd be happy for explanations.

I wear a jacket with my hat... that usually takes care of my clothes.

Is there such a thing as a non-waterproof jacket? Why would you even buy that?

Mr.Moron
2015-04-09, 10:02 AM
Men under 50 shouldn't hats, so that's out for me.
Hoodies are good for light sprinkles, but umbrellas are the only way to go with anything heavier.

AdmiralCheez
2015-04-09, 12:09 PM
Susceptible to wind? Do you not have wind-proof umbrellas in the US?

I just know the ones I've used can get turned inside out if a good gust of wind gets underneath it. You can pop them back to normal, but if that happens too much, it'll break.

veti
2015-04-09, 03:44 PM
I just know the ones I've used can get turned inside out if a good gust of wind gets underneath it. You can pop them back to normal, but if that happens too much, it'll break.

It's not just "turned inside out" that's the hazard, though - I've got an excellent umbrella that's very resistant to that. But still, struggling to hold it steady in a strong wind is no fun. If the wind is gusty, it becomes a game in which the prize for winning is "you get pretty wet, but not completely drenched".

Also when the wind blows, you have to hold the umbrella at an angle to get any protection from it, and if you happen to want to walk into the wind, that means you can't see where you're going. Unless of course you've got a clear wind-resistant umbrella...

Cyber Punk
2015-04-09, 05:23 PM
Umbrella seems to be the first thing anyone thinks of, from what I've personally seen. You might go for a hat or a hoodie, but rain = umbrella, whether it occurs to you to use one, or you realize that someone out there'd be using one.

Just getting that outta the way.

As for me, I'd use at leas a combo of two, specifically a hoodie and a umbrella.

But then, I like the rain, if not for the pesky wetting-your-clothes problem. I'd be content walking in the rain with naught but a raincoat to shield my clothes.

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-09, 07:04 PM
I use hoods. I don't have to carry an umbrella leaving my hands free, and if I'm already wearing a jacket with a hood, I don't have to worry about forgetting to bring that item that shields my head because it's attached to my jacket.

Verte
2015-04-09, 10:05 PM
In order of most desirable to least desirable, for me:

1. Waterproof rain-jacket with an ample hood and taped seams that is light enough to fold up and carry in a bag or backpack easily. Not all jackets are waterproof (for instance, suede jackets can be ruined in rain, denim jackets won't really provided much protection, since cotton soaks up water easily, and wool jackets repel water but are uncomfortable in hot weather, and so on), and even those that are water resistant won't be sufficient in a torrential rainstorm. This has the advantage of keeping my torso, arms, and head dry, as well as things in the pockets.
2. An umbrella. This is primarily useful when I am carrying something I don't want to get wet (like a backpack with books) or traveling in a group of people where I figure not everyone else will have rain-jackets. It is also useful if I have to read something outside in the rain, since it is trivial to crook an umbrella under my shoulder. It isn't sufficient for rain falling at an oblique angle, though, nor for windy days. It is also easy to forget if it isn't currently raining.
3. Wide-brimmed hat. I think the only advantage of this is that it would keep my glasses from fogging up...but what if the wind blows rain in my face? It doesn't protect the rest of my body, or any of my stuff, and I can't necessarily even keep a friend out of the rain with it, unless it's huge and my friend is very short. Besides, in cooler weather, it is better to have a knit wool hat to wear under a hood. They are useful on hot, sunny days, though.

As for looks, I think these all look much more sensible than walking around soaking wet.

TheThan
2015-04-09, 10:39 PM
If I know I’m going to be out in the rain for more than a moment, I totally wear a rain jacket. Being as I’m in hot dry weather most of the year, so very heavy rain or cold temp while it’s raining are things I don’t have to contend with much.
I also run warm so I layer up anyway for when I get too hot.

My rain hats also have chin straps (yah I know manly) so wind attacks is reduced further. I usually put the hat on in such a way that the chin strap is hanging down my neck and back instead of under my chin. Unless it’s windy out that is.

blacklight101
2015-04-10, 12:49 PM
By priority.

1. Good raincoat- probably leather, oilskin, rarely poly-blend (it might work but I personally hate the stuff), maybe treated (scotchguard) fabric otherwise.

2. Hat, but not full brim as I just can't pull them off without looking the part of a total loser or little kid wearing dad's old army stuff. Mine says Browning, it works well enough. Especially with...

3. Hood, usually in the old beater ODgreen coat I got from the surplus store. Its stood up for a good decade from the crap I put it through at work and home.

4. Umbrella, not unless my wife makes me take it. I like keeping my hands free. Even if she makes me carry it, I do it poorly so she takes it back. I already have a hat, coat, and hood so why do I need her crap umbrella?

4a. She has since begun to convert to the coat w/hood plus hat for travel. I believe my tactics may have made a dent. The rain this last week backed this up too, so thats a plus. Now I dont have to make as many trips to the car for groceries.

SarahV
2015-04-10, 02:05 PM
Now I dont have to make as many trips to the car for groceries.

This comment made me wonder how much a person's lifestyle affects their choice in this matter.

I don't have a car... so if I get groceries, and it's raining, I have to walk 1/4-1/2 mile (depending which store I go to) in the rain each way. A hat or coat isn't really going to help much when my groceries are sopping wet. I tend to use an umbrella to protect more of myself and my belongings - I have two really solid ones that don't tend to break or bend or flip inside out. I keep one at home and one at the office.

Although I did once walk to a concert in such a severe storm that the wind actually bent the main pole of the umbrella (made of metal) at about a 45-degree angle. :smalleek: Sometimes Mother Nature just wins...

blacklight101
2015-04-10, 05:41 PM
Its definitely a lifestyle thing, I think. My knee doesnt like steps, so fewer trips are better. A hat might let me get all the groceries in 3 trips where an umbrella could take me 5 being a hand down. I know a few people that don't have cars but do walk or take a bicycle to work. The walkers seem to prefer a sturdy umbrella when they can find one and those with cars and the like, hats or hoods.

I lose/forget umbrellas too, so that is likely another layer to it. At least i can leave a hat on for the most part and not look too out-of-place, umbrellas used indoors are just odd. :smallwink:

Citizen Nij
2015-04-11, 05:22 AM
If it's cold, I tend to be wearing a hooded jersey or jacket anyway. Pop that up and one of your parents has a sibling with a name similar to Robert. Umbrellas are handy, but unless they're easily stored and carried, aren't as practical for me. Hats are not a Thing That I Do. Usually, at least.

If it's warm, I tend to simply ignore the sky-water, except at such times as I have to sweep my hair back or otherwise clear my sight. I have also been known to go outside in the rain simply because it is raining, but that may be more because it makes everybody else go inside.

Scarlet Knight
2015-04-11, 09:28 AM
Men under 50 shouldn't hats, so that's out for me…
Au contraire , “Every girl’s crazy ‘bout a sharp dressed man!”

… But when conditions are right - they keep you as dry as humanly possible, and they also allow you to share that service with others. That's a big bonus in my opinion…
Yes, you can be gallant with that. Again to quote lyrics: “ Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say :Please share my umbrella”

blacklight101
2015-04-11, 10:45 AM
If it's cold, I tend to be wearing a hooded jersey or jacket anyway. Pop that up and one of your parents has a sibling with a name similar to Robert. Umbrellas are handy, but unless they're easily stored and carried, aren't as practical for me. Hats are not a Thing That I Do. Usually, at least.

If it's warm, I tend to simply ignore the sky-water, except at such times as I have to sweep my hair back or otherwise clear my sight. I have also been known to go outside in the rain simply because it is raining, but that may be more because it makes everybody else go inside.

Oddly, I find that if it is pretty warm and theres a thunderstorm coming, I either go for a short walk in it or sit on the porch and get rained on.

I may layer up almost any other time, but some lightning is a good time to hang out outside when its warm.

AdmiralCheez
2015-04-11, 12:00 PM
Oddly, I find that if it is pretty warm and theres a thunderstorm coming, I either go for a short walk in it or sit on the porch and get rained on.

I may layer up almost any other time, but some lightning is a good time to hang out outside when its warm.

Standing outside watching a huge thunderstorm rolling in is one of my favorite things to do. The constantly darkening skies, the booming of thunder and lightning growing steadily, and the increasing wind is just so much fun to enjoy. Then there's the last few seconds where you hear a massive downpour rushing at you, and you make a mad dash for the door to see if you can beat it. Nine times out of ten I do, with not even seconds to spare.

blacklight101
2015-04-11, 02:39 PM
Maybe its the hikes I used to take more often when I was in Scouts, but hearing that rain coming after a while was nice. At least when it was warm.

It used to bug me, I never liked getting out in the rain. One day, it was like a switch flipped and I didnt care if it rained on the trips any more. I might be wet, but im having fun, so it didnt matter.

Before kids, the wife and I would go for a walk in the rain if we didnt have to work too soon after. We were lucky, both of us tended to work mornings at that point. I can remember walking a few miles on the trails around here (converted railbeds, either paved or crushed gravel) and it started to rain on us before the bridge we like to turn around at. I mean hard rain, almost a cloudburst.

I remember laughing as we tried to keep our phones out of the rain(in my one dry pocket) under her tiny little umbrella, just getting more and more soaked. It had to be a couple miles back to the car. Everybody caught in it that day was in a really good mood though, at least the people on the trail. We were just happy to have a blanket in the car so we could dry off just a little bit on the way back.

Good times. :smallbiggrin: