PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Catfolk build help :)

andysowhat
2015-04-07, 05:51 PM
Hello guys :)

So I planned to play a Catfolk with either Barbarian or Fighter, whichever seems to be better. looked on urban barbarian to not get the - dex while raging. I feel like going around Cleaving so I would like getting nimble striker and greater cleave as early as possible :) Really unsure if I'm going for Natural weapons or a huge 2 handed weapon. I will be joining a Party with a (summoner int bot) Wizard and a Diplomatic Tank Ranger (whatever that is). So I will be filling the role of Stealth and Perception, we will be playing as C-G's and the DM loves making rich city environments political problems, but lacks a little on the encounter and dungeon crawling bit. So we mainly fight Humanoid middle age infantry. along with the occasional classic zombies, skeletons and unicorns ^^

I allready rolled my character but haven't placed my points. I start level 2, with fast level up. Max level on the campaign is 15. I'm not planning to multiclass so far, unless you guys comes with awesome ideas :)

My lucky rolled stats I'm working with is a:

To sum it up, I would like help for Itemization, Tips for feats along where I go with my stats. I'm really uncertain if I might just dump everything into dex and get dex to damage attack roll feats? idk what those feats are called, I have alot of troubles finding feats I can use. I usually use this website: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ if you like to link something.

Forehand thanks for the help! :)

Edit: I will be trying to build a level 10 tomorrow ^^ and I will post my results.

Secret Wizard
2015-04-07, 07:55 PM
1. You don't get -Dex while Raging, you get -AC. It's not that big of a penalty either.

2. With those stats, don't go Finesse. You can take advantage of STR as it is a better stat.

3. The natural weapon and the 2H have distinct advantages to each. Both work, depends on your preferred playing style.

4. I think a Drill Master Fighter/Pack Master Barbarian (either or) could be good for you -- you can share Stealthy Synergy with your team to grant them all good stealth roll for a few seconds.

5. If you go with natural weapons and Barbarian, since you can get Pounce from the Claw Pounce feat, you don't need the Beast Totem rage power that most Barbarians get. I noticed your party is also missing a party face, so you could go with a build with good CHA and the Spirit Totem featline. Ghost cat is a great concept? Plus you can get the traits to pick up Diplomacy or Bluff as a class skill.

6. Claw Pounce Inquisitor is actually pretty fun (and can help with the healing and the social skills), but it takes way too long to build. Warpriest is easier to build but is not that great with skills.

andysowhat
2015-04-08, 06:26 AM
1. You don't get -Dex while Raging, you get -AC. It's not that big of a penalty either.

2. With those stats, don't go Finesse. You can take advantage of STR as it is a better stat.

3. The natural weapon and the 2H have distinct advantages to each. Both work, depends on your preferred playing style.

4. I think a Drill Master Fighter/Pack Master Barbarian (either or) could be good for you -- you can share Stealthy Synergy with your team to grant them all good stealth roll for a few seconds.

5. If you go with natural weapons and Barbarian, since you can get Pounce from the Claw Pounce feat, you don't need the Beast Totem rage power that most Barbarians get. I noticed your party is also missing a party face, so you could go with a build with good CHA and the Spirit Totem featline. Ghost cat is a great concept? Plus you can get the traits to pick up Diplomacy or Bluff as a class skill.

6. Claw Pounce Inquisitor is actually pretty fun (and can help with the healing and the social skills), but it takes way too long to build. Warpriest is easier to build but is not that great with skills.

Thank you for the great tips, I shall start building my character right away ^^

Psyren
2015-04-08, 10:04 AM
A Claw Pounce (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/claw-pounce-combat-catfolk) Ninja (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/ninja) is also a great option, especially if you pick up the rogue's Scout (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/scout) archetype (this is compatible with Ninja because it doesn't replace trapfinding) to make your enemies flat-footed on a charge, so you get sneak attack on top of your regular attacks. Then you can add the agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) property to your amulet of mighty fists to get Dex to damage.

Alternatively, pick up a pair of Claw Blades (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/claw-blades). These Catfolk-only items will turn your claws into light manufactured weapons, letting you use TWF with them and get triple the number of attacks over your career. These can also be enchanted with Agile for dex to damage on each claw. Combine with the Invisible Blade Master Trick and you will be full-attacking enemies while invisible for massive damage. You can also combine with Dampen Presence (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dampen-presence) so that even creatures with blindsense and blindsight stay flat-footed against you while invisible. Finally, throw in Piranha Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat), which is basically Power Attack for light weapons, to really shred your opposition.

Sceluvia
2015-04-08, 12:29 PM
Try getting the Deliquescent gloves (no idea how to link a link).
These gloves add 1d6 damage and give the option of a touch attack aswell.
They only cost 8000gp to buy.
When used with a weapon, unarmed strike or natural weapon they produce the corrosive ability to that weapon.

Altough I am not sure if they interfere or enhance the amulet of mighty fists.
I don't see a RAW reason why they shouldn't stack, but i might be overlooking it.

Psyren
2015-04-08, 12:36 PM
Try getting the Deliquescent gloves (no idea how to link a link).
These gloves add 1d6 damage and give the option of a touch attack aswell.
They only cost 8000gp to buy.
When used with a weapon, unarmed strike or natural weapon they produce the corrosive ability to that weapon.

Altough I am not sure if they interfere or enhance the amulet of mighty fists.
I don't see a RAW reason why they shouldn't stack, but i might be overlooking it.

You can press the "Reply with quote" button under my post to see how to do it: Deliquescent Gloves (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gloves-deliquescent)

Yes, these will add 1d6 acid damage to your natural attacks on top of an amulet (unless the amulet also has Corrosive, in which case they won't stack.) However, there are probably better gloves out there for this price.

Sceluvia
2015-04-08, 12:43 PM
You can press the "Reply with quote" button under my post to see how to do it: Deliquescent Gloves (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gloves-deliquescent)

Yes, these will add 1d6 acid damage to your natural attacks on top of an amulet (unless the amulet also has Corrosive, in which case they won't stack.) However, there are probably better gloves out there for this price.

offtopic: Aw thank you ^^

on topic: Yes those gloves :P
Well it was all i could think of (because a player in my game set those up in his item wishlist).

andysowhat
2015-04-08, 01:11 PM
I just made a Greatsword Fighter Drill Seargent.... but it just sounds silly when I finnished it. It had Tactitian features which were really nice. but it doesnt really add up with the -2 you get on wisdom which catfolk get. shall races which get minus in wisdom really be tactictians? hmm... I guess I talk alitle bit more with the other palyers.

Thanks for the great tips :)

Secret Wizard
2015-04-09, 12:50 PM
Not all smart tacticians are wise.

For example, Japan in WW2 did all the smart moves, but there were undone by arrogance (troops committing suicide rather than falling back to hold positions; overzealousness at Pearl Harbour when they should have just taken the fueling station).

So you could RP yourself as a smart but arrogant general, who doesn't admit defeat even when a retreat would be the tactical option to take, someone who's rather use his cunning and battle prowess to show off his worth rather than obtaining victory.

andysowhat
2015-06-08, 08:05 AM
I ended making a plain catfolk barbarian. wielding a greatsword, in admintine. My party whiped twice, while I ended up cleaving 5-7 enemies per turn.

Most epic moment must have been when we were hunting a bandit party in the woods. we figured out there was a huge, bandit camp in the forest, and we manage to sneak up on a 20man party on their way to a village. our mage and rouge manage to plant intel on a dead body infront of them. Making them to take camp in a cramped part of the forrest. our rouge took a spot in the tree lines, and our mage behind me. we attacked them early in the morning. but me and our mage got attacked by a scouting party of 2. which we pretty much killed, meanwhile our rouge did his plan attacking the bandit camp, alone... Not knowing we had gotten problems and was delayed in our simoutanious attack. The rouge ended up beeing spottet and ended in a line of 8crossbowmen, and got killed in one turn :/ Me and our mage charged straight on, thinking we could save our rouge. Who was laying dead back in their camp. We met a 10spearmenn in a line with pikes, and 8 crossbowmen taking position behind them. Our mage manage to crack up our rouge traps taking out 4 men in a simple swoop. Me raging, naturally ran into their Spearman line, Destroying them all in 2 turns. In the meanwhile our mage who stood in the backline got ramped down by crossbowmen dying in one shot. everything went to hell. on the third turn, I manage to come close to the crossbow men, and took them in one cleave xD with a barbarian with 4hp left. I ran back to town with all the weapons I could drag xD