PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC 2

Pages : [1] 2

Kish
2015-04-07, 06:27 PM
Barely able to see in front of themselves, the horses go a lot more slowly than previously, especially when you're crossing the mountain bridge. Gallard's sword occasionally flashes and then fades. But you reach the castle without being attacked, although not until midafternoon.

You stand once again, what feels like a hundred years later, in the room where you first saw the stone dragons.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lbdjdk.png
Key:
1: The entryway.
2: The room where you fought the gargoyles.
3: The chapel where you found the Icon of Ravenloft.
4: The north staircase, which leads up to the balcony overlooking the chapel.
5: The south staircase, which leads up to the tower where you saw the gem, and down to you know not what.
6: The staircase you took to the second floor.

Gallard's sword: Not glowing.

neoseph7
2015-04-07, 07:47 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

We should grab the relic from the chapel, if it's still there. It could be useful. And then up these stairs towards wherever the garden might be hiding.

stack
2015-04-08, 09:35 AM
"I have the icon of ravenloft, I've been using it to heal us each night. Now, we need to find this garden."

Ionbound
2015-04-08, 09:40 AM
Elena nods and says, "Yeah. What tower did she say it was in? We should make a beeline for that."

stack
2015-04-08, 10:25 AM
"Northeast side, she said, if I recall. Let us head upwards, then."

Vetril
2015-04-08, 05:51 PM
Gallard doesn't seem intentioned to stop for more than the stricly necessary time needed to pick a direction. He listens to bihis companions, and then voices his opinion.

"I believe Brom's suggestion is indeed the most direct way. Maybe this time we won't have to face so many of the Count's creatures, but let's be cautious. Let me and Jonnel lead: we can take the brunt of most attacks and live to tell the tale."

Jonnel moves to Gallard's side. Now that the group is acting, the warrior is calm. It seems obvious that he is in his element.

"I'll guard your right side, my friend. They'll have to get through me to reach you."

Kish
2015-04-08, 06:37 PM
You head up the stairs, pass the landing with the frescoes and alcoves with suits of armor, and arrive on the second floor.

http://i61.tinypic.com/6z79sp.png
S: The stairs you just ascended.
7: The room you're in.
8: The room with the skeletons.
9: The staircase you took to go further up before.

In case the map makes it less than clear, there are unopened eastern doors in rooms 7 and 8. Of course, you don't know where, if anywhere, there are secret doors.

(Gallard's sword: Not glowing.)

Ionbound
2015-04-08, 07:24 PM
Elena nods and says, "Onward and upwards, I suppose...I wonder if that spirit we met before is still around...And if she knows what happened to Ismark."

stack
2015-04-08, 07:31 PM
"Getting this close, I think it is time to ward ourselves. We will need to venture into unexplored areas to find the garden, so perhaps that door to the East?"magic circle against evil on self for 80 minutes

suggesting the unopened door in 8, seems the right direction

neoseph7
2015-04-09, 07:17 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

There's a door there? I must need new glasses. As long as it doesn't obviosly lead away from the tower top we're trying to get to.

stack
2015-04-10, 07:14 AM
Brom opens the door.

(Accidentally posted in old thread, oops.)

Kish
2015-04-10, 07:25 AM
Shadows seem to dance across the high, vaulted ceiling in this wide hall. A low moan rises and falls, intoning sadness and despair.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing). This is my solution to the "can't make out dotted lines" problem; it should work as long as you're all seeing the same thing. You just opened the door to Room 9; note that you do need to be using an artificial light source. If the link takes you to a floor that doesn't have a room 9, click the "Court of the Count" tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

stack
2015-04-10, 08:45 AM
Brom produces his everburning torch to light the way, allowing Gallard to lead.

Ionbound
2015-04-10, 09:36 AM
Elena follows Gallard down the hall, morningstar drawn and ready for anything.

Kish
2015-04-10, 11:17 AM
Despite the noise and the play of shadows, the hall appears to be empty. Nothing jumps out at you as you move into it.

stack
2015-04-10, 07:52 PM
Barring objections, Brom proceeds to the end of the hall to open the next door.

Kish
2015-04-11, 10:44 AM
You find yourselves back on the balcony overlooking the chapel. Looking back at the door you just came through, you realize it only looks like a door on the other side; on this side it's a secret door.

"I wonder how many secret doors we're not seeing," Ireena comments. "The only stairway up from here that we've discovered yet was behind one."

Map is updated; you're in 10.

Ionbound
2015-04-11, 12:34 PM
Elena nods and says, "Quite...Probably another example of Strahd's sick sense of humor. Still...I wonder if we should start checking the walls we come across. I'd hate to be surprised by something awful."

Kish
2015-04-11, 09:32 PM
"It's a pity there's no one with us who's particularly good at finding secret doors. I can think of two options," Ireena says. "We can make a thorough search of all the walls we pass, which is likely to slow us down a lot. Or we can go places that have obvious doors, make a map, and, if we haven't found everything we need to find by then, search the walls where our map shows room for something to be."

Vetril
2015-04-12, 07:08 AM
Gallard considers Ireena's suggestions, and then expresses his opinion.

"I don't think we have the time to search every inch of these hallways. The night would find us while we have not made enough progress to reach our goals."

Jonnel quickly adds:

"Drawing a map might be a good idea, though. And then we might start searching from the most obvious places. I doubt the Count has twisted the passages of his caste more than necessary, right?"

neoseph7
2015-04-12, 09:55 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Its probably how he himself moves through the castle. Probably tells one how convoluted his own head is. I agree with the quicker searching option. The more rapid our path to the garden, the sooner we save Ismark.

stack
2015-04-12, 07:42 PM
"Agreed on the map. There was another door, back in the room we came up into, let us try that."south east door in room 7

Kish
2015-04-12, 07:47 PM
As you head toward the door Brom suggests, Gallard's sword begins to glow.

Ionbound
2015-04-12, 08:59 PM
On edge as she sees Gallard's sword begin to glow, Elena says, "So...What are the odds we're detecting the lord of the Castle or one of his servants, as opposed to something we can deal with."

stack
2015-04-13, 11:07 AM
"Only one way to know, unless you've readied a divination?" Brom readies his armaments. Have someone else open the door (Jonnel of Gallard, ready to turn undead if attacked

Vetril
2015-04-14, 02:09 AM
Gallard and Jonnel look at each other: "Your turn, I believe", says the warrior.

They approach the door. Jonnel prepares to push it open and get out of the way, while Gallard keeps his shield high to intercept any incoming attack.

Gallard prepares with total defense. Jonnel opens the door and then steps to the side.

Kish
2015-04-14, 08:16 AM
Dusty scrolls and tomes line the walls and lie scattered across the floor of this room. In the center of all this clutter stands a huge oak desk, its surface also littered with scrolls, tomes, and pieces of parchment. A figure crouches atop a tall stool beside the desk, scratching a quill across a long parchment. He wears a chain shirt but does not appear to be armed. Three gaunt figures stand impassively around the man at the desk, draped in embroidered cloaks. The man looks up absently as the door opens, and then starts in surprise as he sees you. He begins rummaging around on the desk in front of him. As he does, his tongue darts out of the corner of his mouth--long, maggot-white, and slightly forked.

After rummaging around on his desk briefly, he produces a greatsword, which he begins swinging in circles around his head. He's not attacking, at least not yet, though there's an obvious maniacal gleam in his eye.

This room is 11 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing).
(Gallard's sword: Glowing.)

stack
2015-04-14, 09:03 AM
Brom pauses. "Hello. I don't suppose you would rather talk than fight us?" ready to use a greater turn undead

Vetril
2015-04-14, 05:22 PM
Jonnel steps next to Gallard. They both brace their shields, watching the undead creatures with curiosity. Soon, the knight's friend starts talking.

"Oh, I don't like the way he looks at us."

"You don't like the way your wife looks at you, my friend."

"Well, that's entirely justified. We'll see how you do once you marry Lady Lasair. It will be funny, to see you -"

"Oh, shut up. Look, he's about to attack."

Kish
2015-04-14, 08:11 PM
"Rather talk than fight," the man repeats rather blankly, then he grins widely and says, "Fighting leads to trophies." The cloaked figure to his right says, "Focus, idiot," in a voice like dead leaves rustling, its hood dropping to reveal a bare skull and glowing red eyes.

stack
2015-04-15, 08:50 PM
Unsure of how to proceed, Brom keeps talking, "As you have not immediately attacked us, I thought perhaps you would be amicable to a few questions. There are matters we must attend to here and as we do not know who you are, it seems presumptuous to attack you. We are looking for a garden, if you know the way and can give us directions, then we can leave you to your business."

Kish
2015-04-16, 12:00 PM
"Leave, leave..." he muses. "No, you never leave. You stay here." He lunges forward as Brom's shield flares. The three skeletons collapse to the floor as the man deals Brom a mighty slash with his greatsword (23 damage to Brom).
Brom's readied action goes off as the man charges him.
Turn Undead check: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] X 1.5 = [30]
The man's attack: [roll2][roll3]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing); the man is now one square east of wherever Brom is. Place yourselves accordingly.

(Gallard's sword: The glow fades.)

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-04-16, 12:49 PM
Brom stumbles under the blow, taking it heavily on his armor before attempting to return the favor, then stepping back to clear a path for the more martially inclined.Guess I'll take H14. That was a hefty hit. Updated sheet to reflect magic vestment on shield and armor, still gets hit.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1] (magic weapon)

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

5' step to G14

Vetril
2015-04-16, 02:27 PM
Gallard and Jonnel waste no time: as soon as the strange man threatens their friend, they move to provide support.
Jonnel is quick on his feet and positions himself behind the enemy, directing his blade to the legs.
Gallard tries to bind the enemy's blade with his own so that he can deflect it for the time needed to inflict two blows with his magical sword: one to the chest, and the second to the head.

Gallard and Jonnel were on the door, so I'd say H13 for Gallard and H12 for Jonnel. I assume the enemy is at I14.

Jonnel - moves to K14 to flank (can avoid AoOs), then attacks the man (power attack 2): [roll0], [roll1].

Gallard - full attacks the man from H13: [roll2], [roll3]; [roll4], [roll5].

Ionbound
2015-04-16, 04:18 PM
Elena steps up to take Brom's place before the man, raising her morningstar to strike as she says, "Cease this. Now."

Elena was a G13, stepping up to H14 to swap with Brom once he moves back.

Full Attack: [roll0], [roll1]
Damage: [roll2], [roll3]

Kish
2015-04-17, 02:39 PM
Ivyn casts a spell at the man as Gallard, Brom, Jonnel, and Elena all hit him, Gallard and Elena jostling for position in front of him. Ireena fires three arrows at him in rapid succession, all of which lodge in his torso somewhere. He steps backward into the center of the room, switching his greatsword to his right hand while his left hand pulls a small bottle from his belt pouch and he drains its contents.

[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]
[roll6]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing).

PCs' turn.

Vetril
2015-04-18, 04:28 AM
Gallard quickly eyes Jonnel. They rush forward, entering the room.

"Get him!"

Jonnel raises his shield and tries to slip to the right. His sword is held horizontally to provide increased protection.

"What are you, left-handed to wield a sword like that? Or are you just clueless?"

Likewise, Gallard does the same, maneuvering to trap the enemy swordsman among him and his companion. As soon as he is in position, the knight directs a diagonal cut to the enemy's arm, hoping to cause a wound that will prevent the stranger from wielding his weapon effectively.

Jonnel goes first.

Jonnel - total defense, moves to J15, provoking an AoO.

Gallard - moves to J13 (provoking an AoO) and attacks the swordsman - I am not sure if Jonnel provides flanking bonuses, since he is using total defense: [roll0], [roll1].

Ionbound
2015-04-18, 12:38 PM
Elena steps forwards, swinging her morningstar at the man, saying, "I warned you. Now die."

Move to I15

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Kish
2015-04-18, 01:30 PM
As Gallard and Jonnel move into position, Elena steps up and strikes the enemy a mighty blow, and Ireena fires three more arrows, of which two strike him and one seems to glide off an invisible shield at his throat. He crumples to the floor.

Since Gallard and Jonnel were described as acting at the same time and hitting after Jonnel took the AoO-provoking movement, once I determined that even without Gallard's hit your group put out enough damage this round to down him, I decided the best way to describe it was that he was downed before either of them could get into position--figuring Vetril would prefer Jonnel keep ~25 of his hit points over getting to have one of his characters strike the death blow. Let me know if I was mistaken. :smalltongue:

The robed skeletons have nothing. The fork-tongued man has a chain shirt, a greatsword with Brom's blood on it, a cloak, an empty flask, and an extremely ornate red leather belt. The chain shirt and greatsword are obviously masterwork.

Ionbound
2015-04-18, 02:28 PM
Elena smiles grimly as the man falls to her blow and Ireena's arrow. She utters a brief prayer of detection, eyes glowing with divine magic as she looks around the room and at the fallen man, looking to see if there are any magics at play here.

Cast Detect Magic, lingering for the full three rounds to determine the most information.

Spellcraft to identify auras: [roll0]

Kish
2015-04-18, 02:29 PM
The belt radiates strong magic, though none of the other items are magical.

Ionbound
2015-04-18, 02:31 PM
Elena leans over and picks up the belt, saying, "This is magic, nothing else. Ivyn, any idea what it is?"

stack
2015-04-19, 08:16 PM
Brom draws a wand and tends his own wounds as the others gather the gear. "I tried to give them an alternative, thought maybe someone here is not a bloodthirsty monster. I suppose that ghost will be the only friendly face we find."

"Good to figure out what that belt is if we can now, otherwise we best not try to use it yet. Then on to the next room."

Kish
2015-04-19, 08:17 PM
"Should be simple enough to identify. You still have the wand, right, Ivyn?" Ireena says.

neoseph7
2015-04-20, 03:56 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Yes yes. Of course. I've got it right here.

Ivyn will study the object using his own spellcraft and knowledge arcana before using the wand, just in case he can ID it without the added aid. But if he needs the wand he won't hesitate to use it.

Taking ten on spellcraft and knowledge arcana checks for 27's.

Here's hoping no more 85 hour work weeks. I'm getting too old for this.

Kish
2015-04-20, 07:08 AM
Using a charge from the wand, Ivyn determines that the belt combines the effects of a Belt of Giant Strength and an Amulet of Health.
It gives the wearer +4 Strength and +2 Constitution.

stack
2015-04-20, 07:31 AM
"Good choices for our brave knights, I would say."

Ionbound
2015-04-20, 07:52 AM
Elena nods and says, "It would explain how he was able to lift that sword, certainly. Here Gallard," as she offers the belt to the paladin.

Vetril
2015-04-21, 09:26 AM
Gallard graciously takes the magical item.

"I will make good use of this", he assures. He wears it and secures it tightly to his waist.

"Let us proceed - we still have not found that garden, and time is running."

stack
2015-04-21, 10:52 AM
Brom crosses the room to open the next door.

Kish
2015-04-21, 11:11 AM
Fluttering torches in iron sconces light this stairway, though the light is dim and cold, and a chill wind rushes down the circling shaft. The stairway goes both up and down.

"Wait, wait," Ireena says. "Shouldn't you heal yourself before we go further? That looks like a nasty slash."

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing

stack
2015-04-21, 11:17 AM
(Already healed, used lesser vigor x2 from wand.)

"Onward and upward I suppose." Brom says as he lets the knights take the lead.

Kish
2015-04-22, 11:27 AM
A door of delicately engraved steel stands opposite you, at the far end of a dark hallway. Flanking the door are suits of armor facing each other across the hall from the shadowy depths of two alcoves. The stairs continue upward to your south.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing); you're in 21, the suits of armor are A, the up-arrow and down-arrow are stairways as I continue to look for ways to make maps that communicate more information, and the dotted line to your west is the steel door.

Vetril
2015-04-23, 06:50 AM
Stepping out of the flight of stairs, Gallard stops to have a look at the surrounding environment. The knight offers some words of warning to the others.

"Remember those statues? Pay attention: these suits of armor might be some other kind of hidden guardians."

Judging by Jonnel's expression, he doesn't seem too fond of the memories of that particular encounter.

Gallard uses Detect Evil to scan the hallway.

Kish
2015-04-23, 07:30 AM
As Gallard speaks, his sword begins to glow.

Both the suits of armor radiate a moderate aura of evil.

stack
2015-04-23, 08:16 AM
"Undead nearby, not surprising. Knock down the armor before it starts attacking?" Brom readies himself to deal with the dead. ready action to use greater turning if anything that looks undead shows up

religion to identify undead [roll0]

turn [roll1] (counts as level 9)
damage [roll2] x 1.5

Kish
2015-04-23, 08:36 AM
As a spectral hand emerges from one of the suits of armor, Brom's shield flares brightly. Both the suits respond with a soundless explosion of light.

A second later, everything appears once again as it did when you first reached the top of the stairs here. The glow from Gallard's sword fades.

Ionbound
2015-04-23, 09:20 AM
Elena blinks as the hand emerges, and then Brom dispels it just as quickly. However, once she processes what just happened, she smiles and says, "Good job. Let's keep moving."

stack
2015-04-23, 11:16 AM
"Try up, I suppose."same marching order, let's go up. I presume the garden will be open, but I don't know that IC or OOC.

neoseph7
2015-04-23, 04:26 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

That was... Efficient. I'm following you Brom.

stack
2015-04-24, 07:03 AM
"Even the lesser undead can be troublesome, I prefer to remove them quickly."

Kish
2015-04-24, 09:32 AM
You climb up to another landing. To your north and west is a simple wooden door; to your north and east a short stair ascends to yet another landing.
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing); the stairs you just reached the top of are at E15 in the Spires of Ravenloft. Let me know if my map is unclear.

stack
2015-04-24, 11:19 AM
Brom waves the group ahead, through the wooden door.

Vetril
2015-04-26, 05:01 AM
Gallard and Jonnel approach the door, ready for anything. The two stand next to it, signaling the others to stay silent for a moment. If the two hear nothing, Gallard steps up to slowly open the door, revealing what lays beyond; otherwise, they point out any sound to the others.

Gallard and Jonnel move up to the door, then try to listen for any noise coming from the room ahead.

Gallard - Listen check: [roll0].

Jonnel - Listen check: [roll1].

Kish
2015-04-26, 07:49 AM
You hear nothing.
A low ceiling, supported by heavy beams, presses down on this room. The west wall curves with the outer shell of the tower and is fitted with three windows of leaded glass in steel latticework. Plush overstuffed chairs and couches sit invitingly near the bookcases that line the wall between the two doors.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing); you're in room 23.

neoseph7
2015-04-26, 10:04 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

This is a library. It may have magical writings we can use, scrolls. Id like to search if you don't mind the delay.

Unless the party decides otherwise, Ivyn will cast detect magic and search the room to the best of his abilities for magical items.

Ionbound
2015-04-26, 10:21 AM
Elena walks into the room and says, "Hmm...This is the right tower? I can't help but feel that we would have seen some sign of this demon's presence before now..."

Kish
2015-04-26, 01:44 PM
"It's probably further up, if we're in the right area," Ireena says.

Ivyn detects a moderate (equivalent to a level 4-6 spell) evocation aura from one of the bookshelves. He quickly determines that rather than from any of the immediately visible books, it's coming from a book that's sideways behind the other books on the lowest shelf. The book that radiates magic is small and bound in black leather.

neoseph7
2015-04-26, 05:18 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Assuming holding the book doesn't have any ill effects, Ivyn will hold it up and inspect the outer cover. Gallard: Does this seem particularly evil to you? More so than would be usual for this castle?

Assuming it isn't utterly evil, Ivyn will open the book and peer through the pages.

Knowledge is power: taking ten on spellcraft, arcana, planes, religion for 27's.

Kish
2015-04-26, 05:45 PM
The book shows no sign of evil.

Ivyn opens the book and looks through it. It's written in Infernal.

Oddly, the book seems to be a perfectly nonmagical journal kept by someone named Khyristrix who has small, neat handwriting. The last few pages of it read as follows:

13 Fireseek

Ivliskova was up here again yesterday, looking at my garden with naked covetousness and asking questions about the Dayheart that Strahd’s asked me not to answer for anyone. Her presumption of friendship is transparent and annoying, and she deflects being told “We are not friends and I’m not going to tell you anything” by acting like she thinks it’s a joke. Still, she happened to mention while she was trying to chat me up that Strahd has a plan to bring the werewolves of the forest under his direct control. This…could be something to be concerned about; if Strahd plans on shifting how he relates to those he’s allowed autonomy thus far, he’ll probably get to me soon. Assuming Ivliskova didn’t make it up out of whole cloth, of course—but it’s too dangerous a possibility to risk ignoring. Ugh, it is so frustrating to know I’m being manipulated and still see no choice but to do what she wants me to do. Will talk to the Necromancer.

20 Fireseek

The Necromancer and I agreed on a contingency plan. She’s far more reliable than Ivliskova; if we did wind up destroying Strahd together she’d certainly try to bind me immediately afterward, but she doesn’t pretend to be anything other than what she is. Anyway, we’re both going to arrange to have special magic items imported. Must be secretive; Strahd would likely attack us immediately if he knew about these.

23 Fireseek

The Necromancer told me that her informant in the village, a shopkeeper, seems to have disappeared. Unlikely to relate directly to Strahd. Anyway, her problem, not mine.

24 Fireseek

My mace has arrived; as far as my magics can detect it’s everything I was promised, though it feels strange to be carrying a silver weapon—like a story I once heard of a warlord who made himself invulnerable to everything but a fiery burst sword and then fought on the front lines of all his battles with a fiery burst sword until, inevitably, someone disarmed him and used his own sword to kill him. The Necromancer now has a ring that she claims should make her immune to all Strahd’s magic. Even if it does everything she says it does, I don’t know what she thinks will protect her from Strahd simply draining her blood. But regardless, we’re as prepared as we reasonably can be.

Note that the current date is the 25th of Fireseek.

stack
2015-04-26, 07:17 PM
"Can you discern anything of note?" Brom inquires.

neoseph7
2015-04-27, 02:39 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

I can... actually. It's a journal written by the devil Khyristrix that tends to the garden. It seems he too is concerned with Strahd. Ivyn will quietly relate the findings to the rest of the party. I'd be on the lookout for this mace. It could prove useful. I'd say something similar about establishing a better rapport than "slash upon contact" with the fiend, but that's realistically not going to happen. Ivyn gives a scowl of disapproval in Gallard's direction with that last comment.

I also haven't found anything useful with magic detection, leading me to believe that this tome is trapped with a spell. Honestly I'm surprised it hasn't triggered...

That seems like an appropriate place to end my train of thought. I can edit if needed.

Ionbound
2015-04-27, 03:10 PM
Elena nods and says, "Perhaps it's like the Icon we found. It will only trigger when someone truly good touches it. So...Let's just leave it for now. There's no need to take the inner thoughts of a creature of evil with us."

Vetril
2015-04-27, 03:45 PM
Gallard seems untouched by Ivyn's gaze. He eyes the books for a while, trying to get a feeling of what kind of man collected the tomes.
Jonnel, on the other hand, stares back at the gnome.

"Are you sure it is not a ruse? I would not trust a devil. Furthermore, what does such a creature need a journal for?"

The nobleman interjects.

"His motivations are mostly irrelevant to us. It is evil incarnate, and it must be vanquished. We shall find out soon enough if the information can be used to deal with the Count."

Kish
2015-04-28, 09:58 AM
Ireena laughs. "It seems sending Bildrath away was a good idea. If the devil's journal is here, presumably the devil is nearby."

stack
2015-04-28, 07:42 PM
"Further up, then, an be ready for...well a slightly different sort of evil than the evil we have been ready for already. Ready?"onward and upward!

Kish
2015-04-30, 06:23 AM
The king-sized canopy bed in this chamber is veiled in black with gold tassels. Two overstuffed chairs flank a small table, upon which sits a decorative lamp. A closed door inscribed with decorative floral carvings occupies the east wall. Behind the door, you find a closet.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing); this is room 24.

stack
2015-04-30, 07:52 PM
Brom pauses, the relative comfort of the room off-putting given the setting. "Well, this is truly a wretched hive of darkness and evil. I suppose it may be a trick to hide some deadly trap." He shrugs, then opens the closet.

Kish
2015-04-30, 08:19 PM
The closet is empty.

stack
2015-04-30, 08:47 PM
Brom turns away, almost disappointed at the anticlimax. "I guess we search the room to be thorough, then move on."figure we all take ten, then go back and head up the stairs at F15

Ionbound
2015-04-30, 09:21 PM
Elena nods and says, "Sounds entirely reasonable."

Taking 10 on Search for a...9...

Kish
2015-04-30, 09:26 PM
Spending 30 seconds to quickly look around the room (one round per square), none of you find anything hidden.

stack
2015-05-01, 09:24 PM
(Up to 22, door E2)

Kish
2015-05-04, 08:45 AM
Torn and broken couches are arranged neatly about the room, despite the poor upkeep of the place. Deep claw marks score the hardwood furniture; the once lush upholstery is in shreds.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing). You are in Room 25.

Ionbound
2015-05-04, 01:55 PM
Elena raises an eyebrow as she surveys the wreckage and says, "Huh...I wonder what happened here?"

stack
2015-05-04, 09:14 PM
"in honesty, it is less unsettling than the undisturbed room. Let us take a quick look and continue."take 10 and head for the door D7

Vetril
2015-05-05, 07:28 AM
Gallard moves to examine the scratches in the furniture. "Let's see", he simply says, looking for any sign that might help him to determine how recent the damage is.

Jonnel picks up one of the pieces of the shredded upholstery.

"Do you think it was the werewolves? I figured that if they tried to kill the Count, they might have tried to invade the castle."

"Who knows? Maybe it was the demon. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else decided to raise against Strahd."

"Either that, or they clearly did not like the Count's taste - at least for furniture."

Gallard lets out a small laugh.

Kish
2015-05-05, 09:50 AM
As you move into the room, behind you, from out of nowhere, a thin white cat appears, its eyes glowing green. It hisses, "Your companions--they've all been subverted by Strahd! Kill them quick!"

Before you can react to the cat's words, a short old man's head pops up from behind the western couch and he launches a glowing blue-green sling bullet squarely at Jonnel. (5 damage to Jonnel.) Two more cats appear, one standing on the back of the hardwood chair to your right. They hiss, "They're more of a threat to you than anyone else here," and, "You cannot trust them."

Gallard needs to make three DC 15 Will saves. If he fails the first, he believes that the rest of the party has been subverted by Strahd. If he fails the second, he believes that the greatest threat in this room comes from the rest of the party. If he fails the third, he believes that he cannot trust the rest of the party.
Attack roll: [roll0]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing).

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-05-05, 11:41 AM
Brom summons a floating weapon to attack the obviously hostile felines. "They are spellcasters, be careful of them."spiritual weapon in C2 attacking C3
att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Ionbound
2015-05-05, 12:28 PM
Elena rushes towards the couch, aiming to gank the slinger before he can cause any more damage as she shouts, "Behind the couch! One more hostile!"

Charge! Attack the man behind the couch!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vetril
2015-05-08, 04:42 AM
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to post yesterday but really had no time.

Jonnel grunts as the impact of the projectile against his helmet produces a metallic sound that reverberates through the room. He raises his shield to intercept further attacks, and, noticing that Elena has got it covered, opts to focus on the cat on the chair.

Gallard slows down for the time required to let his companion pass. He then maneuvers to circle around the group and reach the cat that waits on the back of the chair.

Jonnel - moves to B5 and attacks the cat on the chair: [roll0], [roll1].

Gallard - moves to A5 and attacks the cat on the chair: [roll2], [roll3]. Not sure if the cat is undead.

Kish
2015-05-11, 10:25 AM
Brom summons a morningstar of force which slams into the cat to his north. Gallard and Jonnel move to stand on the couches and swing at the cat on the back of the chair, but it avoids their blows. Elena charges the little man and strikes him a blow which seems to bounce off his thick hide. The man bares a mouthful of very pointy teeth, dropping his sling and grabbing a scythe which looks too big for him to wield. Ivyn dodges to the south, moving so that he winds up against the south door. Ireena steps to the south and fires three arrows at the small man, each of which strikes him but doesn't sink in as far as you might have expected.

The small man grabs his scythe and swings it wildly at Elena. The cat on the chair jumps off it and the cats cluster around Brom, trying to...hit him with the ends of their tails? A lizard the size of a medium-sized dog runs out from behind the couch and out the door, brushing two of the cats aside as it runs; the cat that was on the couch emits a pained and oddly-pitched grunt as the lizard runs past it.

Ireena's attacks: [roll0][roll1][roll2]
Damage: [roll3][roll4][roll5]
Little man attack: [roll6][roll7]
Cat attacks: [roll8][roll9][roll10]
[roll11]

Kish
2015-05-11, 10:32 AM
One of the cats' tails slides off Brom's armor. The other two jab him with what seems like a sharp sting or small dagger. Brom takes [roll0] damage and needs to make two DC 13 Fortitude saves; failure on the first means [roll1] Dexterity damage and failure on the second means [roll2] Dexterity damage.

[roll3]

The small man's size, oversized scythe, and the way he shrugged off Elena's blow makes you think he may be a kind of evil fae, in which case he'd be vulnerable to cold iron.

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-05-11, 11:09 AM
Brom's summoned weapon continues its attack. 5' to attack C1
att [roll]1d20+10[roll]
damage [roll]1d8+2[roll]

att [roll]1d20+5[roll]
damage [roll]1d8+2[roll]

Brom joins in, using his rather more material weapon. - screwed up rolls, see OOC-
Fort [roll]1d20+8[roll]
[roll]1d20+8[roll]

attacking C3

att [roll]1d20+9[roll]
damage [roll]1d8+3[roll]

att [roll]1d20+4[roll]
damage [roll]1d8+3[roll]

Brom Sunborn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=693074)
M NG Human Cleric, Level 8, Init +1, HP 52/59, Speed 20
AC 20, Touch 7, Flat-footed 20, Fort +8, Ref -1, Will +10, Base Attack Bonus 6/1
MW Morningstar +9/+4 (1d8+2, x2)
magic vestment Fullplate +1, MW (also holy symbol) magic vestment Light Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +3 Shield, -3 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 5, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 16
Condition Magic Weapon (morningstar) +1
Magic Vestment (shield +2)

Turning Check:
-Check 1d20+8 (7 = 3 Cha + 2 Know Religion +3 circlet of persuasion) count as level 9 from Ephod
-Damage 1.5*(2d6+15) (14 = 8 level +1 ephod +3 CHA +3 circlet of persuasion)

neoseph7
2015-05-12, 08:40 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn surveys the sudden carnage and looks for the best spot to assist. To the fey with the scythe: You strike me as more of a dog person.

Ivyn casts Charm Monster on the fey: Will DC 22 or be my buddy. If the spell succeeds, Ivyn will call out to the party to leave the fey alone and let him help us.

Ionbound
2015-05-12, 09:25 AM
Elena turns away from the not-man with the scythe, trusting Ivyn to take care of him as she turns on one of the not-cats and with the momentum of the turn swings her morningstar at the seemingly-fragile creature.

Attack the nearest cat, charging if I have to.

Vetril
2015-05-12, 03:39 PM
Gallard quickly kicks the chair out of his way as he moves to one of the creatures' side. He lunges with his sword twice, trying to impale the beast with the point of his sword.
Following the knight's example, Jonnel steps closer and brings his sword down in a vertical cut, aiming at one of the other cats that are attacking the priest.

"Hang on! I got this!"

Gallard - steps to B4, full attacks C1: [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3].

Jonnel - attacks C3: [roll4], [roll5].

Kish
2015-05-12, 04:20 PM
Gallard and Jonnel's slashes are somewhat dulled, as is Brom's strike with his real morningstar, but Brom's spectral morningstar and Elena's morningstar are unhindered. Two of the cats fall to the floor. Each briefly changes into the immediately recognizable corpse of an imp before dissolving into an evil-smelling cloud of smoke. The little man lowers his scythe and smiles. "You're here to rescue me," he says.

Ireena, seeing the imps fall, fires three silver arrows at the last remaining imp-cat.
Which I am not actually going to bother to roll for, as the fight is effectively over now; at best (from the imp's perspective), it might get one more attack. The map dies in a flurry of silver, force blows, and possibly glowing sling bullets. Battle over.

The poison from that one imp's tail sting continues to course through Brom's system.

stack
2015-05-12, 09:49 PM
Brom looks around to make sure there are no more imps hiding in the furniture before speaking softly to Ivyn, "Perhaps your new friend can tell us a few things?"

neoseph7
2015-05-13, 06:19 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Indeed. One can only hope. To the charmed Fey: Hello! I'm Ivyn. What's your name and are there any members of my band here that you simply cannot associate with?

If the Fey has an issue with any other members of the party, Ivyn will ask them to leave the immediate vicinity. Anybody else can ask questions which Ivyn will backup by re-asking them under the influence of the spell, being careful not to break the charm.

What are you doing in a place like this? Doesn't seem safe? Do you know anything about Strahd's plans or the dayheart? What were those feline creatures?

Kish
2015-05-13, 06:31 AM
"Muireadhach, and no," the fae creature says.

"Khyristrix brought me here and hasn't let me leave. The imps guarded me, though they'd let me kill things occasionally, like that shocker lizard." He laughs a coarse, nasty laugh. "Strahd? Dayheart? I don't know what you mean."

Vetril
2015-05-16, 12:31 PM
Now that the battle has ended, Gallard examines the little man, and then eyes Ivyn for good measure. Jonnel seems unsure about what to do, but he keeps his sword drawn in case that the precarious peace is broken once more.

"What's he doing here? I don't like the sound he makes when he laughs."

Gallard turns to speak to Brom.

"Why are we even talking with this creature? What do you hope to gain from this?"

stack
2015-05-16, 07:54 PM
"It was possible that he could know something of use, though that possibility is receding rapidly. Has he seen a strange garden?"

Kish
2015-05-16, 08:20 PM
"Take the direct approach," Ireena suggests. "Ask him if he knows where this devil is."

Kish
2015-05-18, 09:48 AM
As Ivyn repeats the others' questions, a quizzical look passes over the fae's face. "Garden? I wouldn't call it a garden, but that...thing of Khyristrix's is right up the stairs outside this room. She's there most of the time. Practically all I seen of the castle."

neoseph7
2015-05-19, 09:33 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Muireadhach, we're on a quest to stop the fiend Khyristrix, whom it sounds like you share no good intent for, what with him locking you up here. Will you help us defeat him?

Kish
2015-05-19, 11:40 AM
Muireadhach bares his too-sharp teeth in a smile. "Kill Khyristrix, yes!"

stack
2015-05-19, 12:07 PM
Brom looks at the paladin and shrugs. "So he knows something afterall."

To everyone, "Let us prepare ourselves, then, since we are reasonably forewarned this time."magic circle against evil on self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicCircleAgainstEvil.htm)(thought he had cast it before coming in the castle, but I never wrote it on the sheet). Not seeing any other good buffs prepared to pop now, unless anyone wants an enlarge person?

Ionbound
2015-05-19, 05:31 PM
Elena smiles and says, "Well then. Let's send this devil back where she belongs."

neoseph7
2015-05-19, 05:48 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Before proceeding up the stairs towards the not-garden, Ivyn casts Shield on himself.

Kish
2015-05-20, 09:31 PM
Muireadhach the Redcap leads you eagerly up the spiral staircase. This parapet rises high above the castle--only two towers rear higher. Bluish sludge covers the parapet, secreted by nearly a dozen white, wet, rat-sized slugs. The slugs move slowly, migrating among pooled sludge and vaguely anthropoid fleshly bulbs rooted into the stone parapet. The parapet is ever so slightly canted, enough so that the excess sludge languidly drains over the northern catwalk into an entrance on the neighboring tower. An acidic, vinegar-like odor dominates the air. "Something in my pack is humming," Ireena says.

Ionbound
2015-05-20, 09:46 PM
Elena wrinkles her nose and nearly retches at the smell as she says, "Eugh...I suppose this is what devils think of as a garden. How foul."

stack
2015-05-21, 11:13 AM
"I expect those slugs will not be friendly once we start our work. Everyone, be ready to strike the nearest of them, I will try damaging one of the 'trees'." know religion [roll0] if it works for anything here, if no one has a knowledge worth sharing, he will strike a tree when everyone if ready

Vetril
2015-05-21, 11:57 AM
Gallard averts his gaze from his companions for the time necessary to examine the so called garden.

"Finally we found it."

Jonnel shifts his weight uncomfortably as he looks at the pale slugs.

"It just had to be slugs, right?"

The knight turns to face his loyal companion.

"You're not going to hesitate now, are you? This is something that must be done, and quickly."

"I'm going to fight." - says Jonnel, while still eyeing the slimy beings. He is obviously disgusted.

Gallard stares at his friend for a few extra seconds, before he redirects his attention to what awaits them ahead.

Gallard - Detect Evil looking towards the garden, to locate all the evil auras within range.

Ionbound
2015-05-21, 12:47 PM
Elena nods to Brom and stands beside him, ready to smack anything that comes out of the woodwork, so to speak, to attack them.

Ready an action to attack an obvious hostile.

Kish
2015-05-21, 09:28 PM
The garden is full of evil. Muireadhach is unsurprisingly evil, the slugs and fleshy bulbs are evil, even the sludge is faintly evil. Gallard's attention is quickly grabbed by an overwhelming aura of evil (a level radiated by fiends and little else) from a pool of sludge to his south.

Suddenly, a humanoid covered with barbs surges from a pool of sludge at Q17, sending a spray of blue goo in all directions. The humanoid looks female, but the barbs and scales covering her body, including her meaty tail, show that she is in no way human. A dusty rose ioun stone orbits the humanoid's head. She clutches a heavy mace in one hand and says in an echoing voice that hurts your brains to hear, "Trina! Come to me!" As if energized by her appearance, the white slugs begin to spasm and writhe aggressively.

I'm guessing that Elena considers her an obvious hostile; if so, Elena attacks her automatically and is now adjacent to her, in P18. Go ahead and take the attack before taking your regular action.
[roll0] <-I have not forgotten group initiative. This is not an initiative roll.
K: The barbed devil.
L: The slug-creatures.
M: Muireadhach.

(PCs' turn.)

Ionbound
2015-05-21, 09:50 PM
Elena raises her morningstar over her head, attempting to land a ringing blow on the fiend at it rises out of the pit. After this swing, she shouts, "Back to the hells with you, fiend!" and in holy fury swings twice more, aiming to finish the fight before it starts.

Initiative: [roll0]

Prepared Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack 1: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Attack 2: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Vetril
2015-05-25, 05:11 PM
Gallard and Jonnel simultaneously run towards the demon, their swords held high and ready to strike.

"Out of my way" - the knight shouts; his companion has no choice but to step aside or hinder the attack.

With his path towards the vile creature cleared, Gallard runs in, and delives a powerful descending blow meant to open a deep cut in the torso of the enemy. Similarly, Jonnel aims at the leg, hoping to make it impossible for the demon to block both of them.

Jonnel - move to R17 and attack Khyristrix : [roll0], [roll1].

Gallard - charge Khyristrix (end in Q17): [roll2], [roll3].

stack
2015-05-26, 08:47 PM
Brom calls a battle blessing down on himself, growing in strength.divine power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm)

Kish
2015-05-27, 08:42 AM
The fiend nimbly avoids all the blows aimed at her. Ireena fires three silver arrows at her, two of which lodge solidly in the devil. Muireadhach lifts his overlarge scythe and runs forward to slash at her but misses by a mile. The humming sound from Ireena's pack grows loud enough for all of you to hear it. Meanwhile, the slugs surge toward you; three attempt to attach themselves to Jonnel, five to Elena, and one to Ivyn. Khyristrix snarls and waves her left hand, a white grid of energy forming around her; Muireadhach collapses to the parapet, dropping his scythe.

[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
Ivyn and Brom take [roll8] 13 damage, 6 if they make a DC 18 Will save.
Gallard, Jonnel, Elena, and Muireadhach all get attacks of opportunity against the slugs. Muireadhach slashes one of them cleanly in half, sending ichor flying.
[roll9][roll10]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing) updated.

Khyristrix cast Order's Wrath.

PCs' turn.

neoseph7
2015-05-27, 01:23 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Lacking better empirical evidence, Ivyn withdrawls a flask of holy water and lobs it at the Devil.

Will Save: [roll0]
Holy Water Attack: [roll1] Ranged Touch
Holy Water damage: [roll2]

stack
2015-05-27, 09:03 PM
The path to the demon crowded, Brom settles for moving to a better position to squash the slugs. "Ireena, step to one side please."
would like Ireena to 5' Q15 so Brom can 5' to P15 and full attack L1
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Vetril
2015-05-30, 03:16 AM
Gallard - AoO vs slug (L10): [roll0], [roll1].

Jonnel - AoO vs slug (L7): [roll2], [roll3].

While fighting, Jonnel is forced to circle around the fey to avoid being surrounded and possibly overwhelmed. His sword descends on a slug, as he tries to penetrate the rubbery skin.
Gallard stays focused on the task at hand: not discouraged by the evil magic conjured by the demon, the knight tries his best to penetrate their defense.

Gallard - full attack vs Khyristrix: [roll4], [roll5]; [roll6], [roll7].

Jonnel - 5 ft step to S18, attack vs slug (L8): [roll8], [roll9].

Ionbound
2015-05-30, 12:15 PM
Elena swings at one of the slugs at it moves to try to attach to her, but ignores the others, opting to make a series of brutal strikes at the devilless, aiming to take her down quickly.

AoO: [roll0]
[roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Kish
2015-05-30, 04:06 PM
Ivyn's holy water sizzles on the devil's skin. Ireena steps as Brom asks and Brom steps forward and smashes one of the slugs, which pops with a disgusting noise. Gallard misses the slug he aims at, but Jonnel cuts two more in half, spraying the floor with ichor. Gallard steps forward and strikes Khyristrix powerful blows which fail to penetrate her supernaturally thick skin. Elena swings her morningstar at the fiend, but while the silver weapon has proven able to harm her, it does not make contact. Ireena fires three more silver arrows at the devil, but all of them miss. Khyristrix abruptly disappears, reappearing to the west of where she was standing. Five of the surviving slugs grab Elena; only one of them makes actual contact with her skin and she quickly shakes all five of them off. The remaining slug positions itself to grab Elena. (Elena takes 2 acid damage and gets an AoO against L2.)

Ireena's arrows: [roll0][roll1][roll2]
The slugs' attacks: [roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9][roll10]
Damage: [roll11][roll12][roll13][roll14][roll15]
Grapple checks: [roll16][roll17][roll18][roll19][roll20]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing) updated.

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-05-30, 08:39 PM
Brom steps forward to clear a path through the leeches for the knights to pursue their quarry. 5' to O16, attacking L10 then L4 if the first falls

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Vetril
2015-06-02, 06:30 AM
Gallard looks around, and then pursues the devil. As he walks past Brom, he gives a good look at the melee to get an idea of the fight's outcome.
Jonnel seems ready to follow the knight, but instead decides to help Elena before the slugs overwhelm her. He quickly repositions himself to her side, and his blade leaps out to hopefully lop one of the vermins head off.

Gallard - move to M17 avoiding AoOs, attack Khyristrix: [roll0], [roll1].

Jonnel - move to Q18, attack L5: [roll2], [roll3].

Ionbound
2015-06-02, 08:36 AM
Elena swings down with her morningstar at the one leech, aiming to crush, before charging Khystrix's new position as she shouts, "You can't escape that easily!" swinging her morningstar at the fiend's head.

AoO: [roll0]
[roll1]

Charge: [roll2]
[roll3]

neoseph7
2015-06-02, 04:53 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Looking at the situation, Ivyn will bolster his allies rather than risk a wasted spell on the enemy. He cast's haste on the party.

Kish
2015-06-02, 06:06 PM
Ivyn's spell makes all of you faster. Brom smashes two of the slugs, Elena smashes one and charges Khyristrix, Gallard steps forward to strike at Khyristrix, and Jonnel slices two slugs in half. Ireena fires a volley of four arrows at Khyristrix, two of which hit. Khyristrix dodges the blows from Elena and Gallard, snarls, takes a step back, and clenches her free hand, glaring at Ireena, who abruptly freezes in place. The one remaining slug lunges at Elena.

Jonnel's extra attack (assumed action change from standard attack to full attack with Haste): [roll0][roll1]
Ireena's attacks: [roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5] (+1 to all of these actually, I forgot the Haste when I rolled).
Damage: [roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9]
Ireena's Will save: [roll10]

Elena gets an attack of opportunity at L6.
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-06-03, 11:09 AM
Brom slides into position next to Elena and joins the assault.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

AC is up 1 from haste

Vetril
2015-06-05, 07:46 AM
Gallard starts shifting to his right to surround Khyristrix. He attacks once with a horizontal blow to the neck, and then presses forward with a serie of stabs directed at the fiend's torso. It is clear by now that the knight is studying his opponent as much as he can to maybe detect a flaw in her swordplay: his face betrays his focus.

Jonnel approaches the last slug while he moves to join the melee. He lashes out with a cut meant to slice the vermin's body in two.

"On my way!"

Gallard - 5 ft step to L17, full attack Khyristrix: [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]; [roll4], [roll5].

Jonnel - moves to o20, attacks L6 if it's still alive - if not, moves to M19 and attacks Khyristrix: [roll6], [roll7]; [roll8], [roll9].

I just noticed I messed up the damage, halving the dice results (from 1d20 to 1d10, as it should have been) gives 12, 12, 7 for Gallard and 5, 6 for Jonnel.

Ionbound
2015-06-05, 01:29 PM
Elena swats at the leech with the backswing as she strikes at Khystrix again, aiming to end the devil's reign.

Attack L6: [roll0]
[roll1]

Full Attack Khystrix: [roll2]
[roll3]

Haste extra attack: [roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

Kish
2015-06-06, 11:58 AM
Brom's morningstar strikes Khyristrix twice but fails to overcome her unholy defenses; Gallard strikes her twice but barely manages to wound her both times. Elena smashes the last larva and swings at Khyristrix, but while her silver weapon has demonstrated the ability to hurt the devil, her nimble opponent avoids her blows and strikes back with the heavy mace clutched in one of her hands.

Khyristrix attacks Elena: [roll0][roll1][roll2]

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing) updated. Note, should anyone want to take the weapons from the paralyzed Ireena:

Drawing her rapier from its sheath would be equivalent to drawing a weapon from a sheath you're wearing, but would require starting or finishing a move action next to Ireena. Taking her bow from her hands and either grabbing the quiver she's been using to fire at Khyristrix or a handful of arrows from it would be a standard action. So one of the people adjacent to Khyristrix could:
1) Move (1 move action), grab her rapier (free), move back (2nd move action); this would provoke an attack of opportunity from Khyristrix. You would not get to attack that round but could full attack the next round.
2) Withdraw to be next to Ireena and grab her rapier (full-round action). Next round, either charge Khyristrix or move and attack her. No attack of opportunity, but you could only make one attack against Khyristrix (charge or otherwise) the next round.
3) Move (1 move action), take Ireena's bow and silver arrows; this would provoke an attack of opportunity from Khyristrix. You could full attack the next round.
4) Withdraw to be next to Ireena (full-round action). Next round, take Ireena's bow and silver arrows, and move if you choose. You could full attack the round after that.

PCs' turn.

Vetril
2015-06-08, 05:59 PM
Gallard finally changes tactics; he drops his shield as he steps to the side, and readies himself to strike as he graps his sword with both hands. A thud is clearly heard as the protective item falls to the ground.
Jonnel notices the preparations, and immediately slides the blade of his weapon against the devil's. The resulting bind might make the fiend's defense problematic.
Finally, the heir of the Ravensgate family swings his sword, tracing a trajectory that ascends diagonally, aiming to connect against Khyristrix's side.

Jonnel - Aid another (Gallard): [roll0] vs AC 10.

Gallard - 5 ft step to L18, full attack Khyristrix (I assume Jonnel succeeds - he fails only if he rolls a 1 - granting Gallard an additional +2 to hit): [roll1], [roll2]; [roll3], [roll4]; [roll5], [roll6].

stack
2015-06-08, 06:24 PM
Brom steps back, cursing himself for not having listened about the weapons. A quick prayer summons a tool more appropriate. spiritual weapon in K19
[roll0]
[roll1]
bypasses DR as its a spell

Ionbound
2015-06-08, 10:23 PM
Elena crumples in unnverving silence as Khystrix's mace strikes her head twice, once on each side. She falls to one knee, bleeding from cuts on her forehead, but stands, gritting her teeth as she says, "Go back to hell, bitch," as she launches herself at the devilless, aiming to cave her head in.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

neoseph7
2015-06-09, 05:19 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn will run to Ireena's position and take as many of her silver weapons as he can carry. He'll then move next to the nearest party member willing to swap equipment, taking as many actions as is prudent.

Kish
2015-06-09, 06:09 PM
Gallard strikes Khyristrix three times, though each slash is somewhat dulled. Brom's phantom morningstar strikes her as well, as does Elena's physical morningstar. Ivyn grabs Ireena's rapier, bow, and quiver with silver arrows, and runs over to the rest of you. The devil, wounded but not dead, snarls at Elena, "You first," as she steps to the northwest and raises her free hand to point at Ivyn.

Khyristrix provokes an attack of opportunity from Gallard as she casts Scorching Ray at Ivyn; go ahead and take it, Gallard, but unfortunately her Concentration check (+21) is too high for there to be a chance of disrupting her spell.
Ranged touch attacks: [roll0][roll1]
Damage: [roll2][roll3]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-06-10, 07:16 AM
Brom drops his morngingstar and takes the dagger from Ivyn, interposing himself between the mage and the demon, then turns to plunge his new weapon into their foe.
5' to L16 after using a free to drop his morningstar and a move to take the dagger
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Spiritual weapon attack (moves 5' to follow)
attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

neoseph7
2015-06-13, 09:33 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn nearly buckles under the combined blast. After delivering his weapons, he'll move away from the devil and ready to counterspell.

Ionbound
2015-06-13, 03:42 PM
Elena growls as she steps forwards and says, "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!" and swings again, looking to finally end the fight.

I think we should save the full monologue for the final fight.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Vetril
2015-06-13, 05:41 PM
Gallard is quick to exploit the distraction, and directs another blow against the devil. He and Jonnel then quickly adjust to keep the creature between them, pressing the attack. The two are still quick on their feet, and Jonnel even whirls his blade in a flourish as he prepares to strike.

AoO (Gallard): [roll0], [roll1].

Jonnel - Moves to L18 (or K18 if the fey makes way), aid another (Gallard): [roll2] vs AC 10.

Gallard - 5 ft step to K16, full attack Khyristrix: [roll3], [roll4]; [roll5], [roll6]; [roll7], [roll8].

Kish
2015-06-13, 06:29 PM
Rapier, not dagger. Deducting 4 from Brom's attack roll for nonproficiency penalty, it still hits. Damage: [roll0]
The M on the map is Brom's spectral morningstar. The redcap, being badly wounded from your prior fight with him and also Chaotic, died when Khyristrix cast Order's Wrath. Of the three characters (Jonnel, Elena, the morningstar) who have stated a claim on L18 and K18, Jonnel is the only one not full attacking and, thus, the only one who can afford to move more then five feet, so I'm assuming he's moving to K16 instead; let me know if I'm mistaken.

Brom stabs Khyristrix with Ireena's rapier. Ivyn retreats; standing next to the frozen Ireena, he hears a distinct hum coming from her pack. Elena steps forward, misses her twice, but hits her once. Gallard strikes her twice with his sword, solid blows which fail to inflict any damage, and misses her twice. Khyristrix, looking badly hurt, bares her pointed teeth and swings her mace three times at Elena again.

Khyristrix attacks Elena: [roll1][roll2][roll3]
Damage: [roll4][roll5][roll6]

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-06-13, 07:44 PM
Brom winces as Elena gets hit, but the best way to help is to remove the threat. attack [roll0] forgot haste +1 before
damage [roll1]

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Spiritual weapon attacks
attack [roll6]
damage [roll7]

attack [roll8]
damage [roll9]

Kish
2015-06-13, 08:09 PM
Khyristrix bares her fangs in a gloating smile as Elena crumples. "You were fools to think," she says, but what you were fools to think you never learn, as Brom perforates her with two stabs of Ireena's rapier. "No! My garden..." Khyristrix screams as her body flashes and disappears.

Battle over.

Ionbound
2015-06-13, 09:45 PM
Elena's face whitens as Khystrix's mace slips past her guard, slamming her hard in the face. Completely unprepared for the follow-up attack, the mace connects with the cleric's skull with a loud *CRACK* and she falls, head broken clean open, blood and liquefied grey matter spilling from a massive hole in her skull.

Kish
2015-06-14, 07:17 AM
42 seconds after Elena falls, Ireena unfreezes and runs over to her side. "Elena!" Ireena screams.

stack
2015-06-14, 07:38 PM
Brom drops the rapier and turns to Elena to treat her, but he sees clearly that it is too late. He stands dumbfounded, shaken in a way not achieved by all the horrors they had seen in this dark land.

Brom draws the icon forth and heals Elena, then the others as they need. "Let us destroy these 'trees' swiftly; I fear the lord of the house may yet act now that his ally has fallen."

Kish
2015-06-16, 07:42 AM
As Brom heals Elena, Ireena helps her to her feet. "That's a relief. For a moment there, I thought...well."

She takes her weapons back from Brom and Ivyn and resheathes them, then reaches into her pack. "Now, what is this..." She pulls out the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. Out in the open air, the humming noise it's making is audible to all, and it seems to be glowing a faint red.

Ionbound
2015-06-16, 09:31 AM
Elena rubs her head as she slowly rises, saying, "Damn...I have to be more careful. Thank you, Brom." She looks at the glowing symbol and says, "Ivyn? Any idea what that means?" While she talks, she presses a glowing hand to her head, repairing yet more damage.

Spontaneous Cast CMW on self: [roll0]

stack
2015-06-16, 09:38 AM
"Either way, we should see about these trees." Brom says after completing the healing. His movements seem slow and tentative compared to the divinely fueled fury of a moment ago.

He moves to the nearest and takes a two-handed swing at it.

Kish
2015-06-16, 02:40 PM
The morningstar makes a sickening thump as it strikes the fleshy bulb. The twisted plant shakes but doesn't look damaged.

neoseph7
2015-06-18, 05:05 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn takes a sliver arrow and uses it as a dagger against the fell growths, addressing Brom as he works. After you assist Elena, I too could use some healing. That fire blast made my life flash before my eyes.

Speaking of; Elena!? Are you all right? What? What does what mea... Oh. Ivyn sees the glowing runes after the rest of the party does.

Knowledges as usual and spellcraft taking 10 for 27's. Ivyn is missing 30 HP by my count, though I may have missed something. I'm trying to be better about updating my character sheet.

Vetril
2015-06-19, 04:25 AM
Gallard briefly examines Elena to make sure of her condition. Meanwhile, Jonnel approaches Brom.

"Maybe with some fire? But even then, we might not have the time."

Overhearing that, the knight offers his opinion.

"Let's fix this statuette first. It might have the power to destroy this horrid creation once it is restored. Eva's prediction referred to this place, right? So let's look around. If you find more of those slugs, call."

Jonnel nods, and promptly starts searching for points of interest within the garden. Likewise, Gallard does the same.

Kish
2015-06-19, 10:14 AM
"Try an edged weapon?" Ireena suggests. "Unless Gallard is right and the Symbol can do it somehow. Eva did say something about bringing it here." She holds out the Symbol toward Brom. "You should take it. Whatever it can do, I don't think it's for me to wield."

Ionbound
2015-06-19, 11:35 AM
Elena laughs somewhat as she says, "Hehe. Half of us don't have blades." She giggles and says, "Surely I'm not the only one that finds the situation a bit absurd. After all that's happened, defeated by a lack of blades."

stack
2015-06-20, 12:27 PM
Brom takes the symbol and studies it carefully. know religion [roll0], will try to turn undead with it to damage the trees if it seems liekly

Kish
2015-06-20, 12:43 PM
The symbol is warm to the touch. You find yourself compelled to press it against one of the twisted, shrublike things. As soon as you do, the hideous shrub combusts rapidly.

You feel that the symbol recognizes you as a priest of Pelor. It promises you great power if you choose to sacrifice part of your life force to it.

stack
2015-06-23, 08:36 AM
If it will further the cause of light, then I am willing. Brom continues to destroy the 'trees' with the symbol.

Kish
2015-06-23, 09:41 AM
The amulet in Brom's hand flares again, and keeps brightening until all of you have to look away. Despite the thick fog cover, the garden is now illuminated as brightly as if the noonday sun was shining directly on it. All the twisted shrubs glow brightly and assume humanoid forms before crumbling to ash with a soft moan.

Your current and maximum hit points are reduced by 2 each. You suspect the Holy Symbol will drain you further as you become more powerful, but it will manifest other powers as well.

Holy Symbol of Ravenkind
1/year, it can produce a Sunlight Blast, which will destroy all but the most powerful vampires, and will paralyze those vampires it doesn't destroy for 2 rounds.
1/day, it can be used to cast Heal, Resurrection, Greater Restoration, or Greater Dispel Magic, at caster level 20.

stack
2015-06-23, 12:35 PM
"It seems that the symbol has bound itself to me. It seems that it will be a powerful tool on our quest. Ireena, I beg that I be allowed to hold it until the crisis has passed."

Ionbound
2015-06-23, 12:36 PM
Elena smiles and pats Brom on the back as she says, "Well, that's that done with. Where do you guys think the Dayheart is, then?"

Kish
2015-06-23, 12:44 PM
"Of course. It never worked for me anyway." She looks at the weapon that nearly killed Elena. "The book said something about that mace being able to destroy Strahd, if it can be believed. Does this mean the Dayheart no longer functions, and Strahd is vulnerable to sunlight again? Er. Mace not related to the Dayheart."

stack
2015-06-23, 01:08 PM
"I suppose we ought to find the Dayheart and ensure it no longer functions. It could be these poor souls only granted it protection and it still needs to be destroyed."

Vetril
2015-06-23, 01:41 PM
Gallard eyes the weapon that is now abandoned on the ground. He then recovers his shield, and checks his sword for any damage.

"I would be cautious with that mace, if I were you. A foul devil wielded it, and I doubt any good will come from it."

Jonnel seems to agree.

"Aye, aye. Do listen to him, stories are clear: never take anything from demons! It will bring ill fortune!"

Gallard uses Detect Evil to determine if the weapon has an evil aura now that the devil is gone. He also looks for any remaining auras that are nearby.

Kish
2015-06-23, 01:53 PM
Nothing in the area now radiates evil.

Kish
2015-06-23, 08:34 PM
Assuming that Gallard says some paraphrase of his latest OOC post:

"Do you detect evil on the mace now, Gallard?" Ireena asks.

Ireena frowns. "I hate to put it this way, but only Elena and I have weapons capable of hurting Strahd; Elena nearly died for a lack of silver weapons just now. We can't afford to confront him like this--though one of you can certainly use my rapier, if you want."

She looks at Ivyn, "Will that wand you found tell us if there are any hidden traps in the mace?"

Vetril
2015-06-25, 08:22 AM
Gallard shakes his head in response to Ireena's inquiry.

"My counsel remains the same, but do what you will: I won't stop you."

stack
2015-06-26, 07:56 AM
"We need to go find the dayheart, quickly."

neoseph7
2015-06-27, 12:07 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn will analyze the mace to his fullest capacity, using the wand if need be.

Kish
2015-06-27, 12:11 AM
Using two charges from the wand, Ivyn determines that the mace is a silver +3 heavy mace, and the crystal attached to its base is a separate magic item, a greater truedeath crystal. If either has any other qualities, positive or negative, the wand detects no trace of them. Touching the mace does not seem to harm Ivyn.

neoseph7
2015-07-01, 01:38 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

It's a powerful, silver mace. The crystal is a separate magic item- a greater truedeath crystal- which will permit certain critical attacks against an undead foe. This is likely the weapon mentioned in the journal, specifically ordered to fight Strahd. We would be wise to take it.

Ionbound
2015-07-01, 01:54 PM
Elena nods to Ivyn and says, "It seems safe enough. May I take it?"

stack
2015-07-01, 06:56 PM
"Seems like a good choice, I fear it will be useful far too often. Let us proceed."

Kish
2015-07-01, 07:25 PM
"Good, then. If you don't have a silver weapon, maybe you can use the morningstar Elena was using, Brom." Ireena looks north at the tower and says, "If the garden empowered the Dayheart, maybe that liquid stuff was going to the Dayheart."

Ionbound
2015-07-01, 08:20 PM
Elena smiles as she picks up the mace and offers her morningstar to Brom as she says, "Heh...Taking up the weapon that nearly killed me. I'm sure there's some irony in this somewhere." She then nods to Ireena and says, "Good idea. Let's follow the channels."

+1 Silver

stack
2015-07-01, 08:52 PM
"Quite prudent. The deduction is sound as well. If our daring knights will lead us?"

Vetril
2015-07-03, 12:22 PM
Gallard shrugs.

"Let's see where this leads us, but we should have a good look everywhere. A demon was here until recently, and who knows what we might find? I'll leave no stone unturned if that's what it takes to cleanse this place."

That said, the knight starts following the path outlined by the channels. Together with Jonnel, he advances through what remains of the corrupted garden.

Kish
2015-07-03, 01:15 PM
As you start north toward the tower, Gallard's sword begins to glow almost immediately.

A familiar blond figure steps out of the tower, and jumps back inside with a shriek as her skin begins to smoke. "You've done it!" Sasha says exultantly. "The Dayheart's power is destroyed! Don't come any closer." She seems to be struggling with herself. "You know I cannot disobey; Strahd ordered me to guard the Dayheart and his order stands whether it still has a reason or not. And I'm not its only guardian or its most dangerous. It would be horribly ironic if you got this far and died attempting something that won't weaken him. Go back down and do whatever you still need to do before you confront him." A massive golden lion stands behind her.

Other than the mountain fane, the only other thing Madam Eva spoke of that could increase your power or decrease Strahd's was that for the Sunsword to regain its power, you need to take it to "where virtue lies dead, slain by the unholy hand that rules the castle."

stack
2015-07-03, 03:36 PM
Brom weighs her words. sense motive @ +4please

"Let us not discuss plans in her presence."the fortune could mean a lot of things, since Barovia is full of people Strahd has caused the death of, but the lower levels of the castle seem promising.

neoseph7
2015-07-04, 04:05 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Speaking in a whisper away from the creature with superb hearing.
She's either bluffing and the dayheart is still significant or she's not and it's not only irrelevant, but wasting Strahd's available resources. Either way we still very much need the Sunsword to kill him. The downside of going through Sasha now is potentially wasting our resources on her and losing out on an opportunity to awaken the sunsword. Alternatively, going after the sunsword now makes it possible that Strahd will refocus his forces on us-including her- later when we confront him, sunsword or no. I personally vouch for finding an earthquake spell and demolishing this entire castle. That's probably not an option though.

Ionbound
2015-07-04, 04:08 PM
Elena nods and says, "Did you see the way she smoked when she got out in the sun? I'm pretty sure the Dayheart has been disabled. Wouldn't it keep that from happening if it was still working?"

neoseph7
2015-07-04, 04:53 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

The dayheart provided more protection than immunity to sunlight, but disabling it required defeating the fane guardian and subsequently placing their body into the fane. It's the "garden" that conferred immunity to sunlight. Whatever protection the mountain fane conferred onto Strahd, he still has it.

Vetril
2015-07-05, 10:17 AM
Gallard ponders the situation.

"Maybe we can convince her to go tell the count that the dayheart was destroyed, and that it no longer needs guarding. That would give us time to have a look, but it would also cause Strahd to relocate Sasha."

Kish
2015-07-05, 10:22 AM
"She said she's not the most dangerous guardian the Dayheart has. We could ask her if its other powers are still functioning...if you trust her answers," Ireena says in a soft, dubious voice. "If it's truly no longer functioning, either of you"--she looks from Brom to Elena--"should be able to drive her away easily enough, right?"

Ionbound
2015-07-05, 11:11 AM
Elena nods and says to Ireena, "Yeah...I wish we had a way to turn her back into a human...An ally that isn't beholden to Strahd, but knows all about his plans would be incredible."

stack
2015-07-05, 11:29 AM
"Which would require finding her coffin, leading U.S. To the lower levels most likely anyhow. I vote we seek the crypts or whatever the castle has down lower."

Vetril
2015-07-08, 11:44 AM
Gallard nods, agreeing with Brom's evaluation.

"Very well, but we should make haste. Maybe Strahd doesn't already know of what we have done here, but surely he will find out in short time."

As Gallard walks back in the direction the group came from, Jonnel tries to stifle a laugh. The warrior tries but can't manage, and finally starts chuckling.
Curious, the knight questions him.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Well... I sure hope that the Count was outdoors in plain daylight when the garden was destroyed."

"That would be hilarious, I agree."

After a moment, the nobleman joins his friend in laughter.

stack
2015-07-08, 11:50 AM
"Ha! If only we were o fortunate, but nothing in my time here leads me to have such high hopes. Keep your eyes out for piles of dust, just in case."

Kish
2015-07-08, 12:57 PM
You head back down, and the glow from Gallard's sword quickly fades; while you're aware you could be missing secret doors, the first room you come to where you have an obvious unexplored choice is the room with the two suits of armor (marked as 35 in the Rooms of Weeping on the map).

"If we're looking for the crypt now, we should probably keep heading down," Ireena whispers.

stack
2015-07-08, 01:13 PM
"Agreed, downward it is."

neoseph7
2015-07-08, 09:18 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn only shakes his head and smirks at the swordsmen. At least this one wasn't me. I don't think we could have been fortunate. Even if he was outside, he likely has powerful magic he can use to get back. It's times like this I wish I'd paid more attention to divinations. A detection spell for that sort of conjuration would be quite handy.

Ivyn will continue down with the rest of the party.

Ionbound
2015-07-09, 10:48 AM
Elena giggles and nods at the idea, saying as she follows the party downwards, "Hope springs eternal. And an end such as that would be rather fitting."

Kish
2015-07-09, 11:33 AM
You descend past the level where you fought the serpent-tongued madman wearing Gallard's new belt, past the floor level, to a small landing on a level below the floor, down further still, down far below the ground, until the staircase finally ends at a waterlogged hallway.

Black, still water fills the arched hallway. The water's surface is like mirrored glass, disturbed occasionally by falling condensation. Two arched doorways lead off either side of the hall to half-submerged iron doors. A weak cry for help occasionally sounds from the south door.

The first person to investigate discovers that the water is two feet deep. As you cluster at the bottom of the stairs, Gallard's sword begins to glow.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing) updated; if you start down the hallway I'll assume you're going in your usual two-by-two marching order. You're on the (new) bottom floor, the Catacombs, at 73.

stack
2015-07-09, 11:53 AM
"A cry for help. Could be an undead trap, could be it isn't. Let us find out." Brom nods Gallard forward and holds the icon ready, raised on the chain from his neck, weapon held lightly in his shield hand.

Ionbound
2015-07-09, 01:22 PM
Elena nods and stands slightly behind Gallard, her new mace at the ready to smash anything hostile behind the door.

Ready an action to charge any obvious hostiles if possible, otherwise, just make a normal attack if they're within range.

Vetril
2015-07-10, 05:51 AM
Gallard holds his sword high so that its light illuminates the surrounding space. After giving a quick look to his left and to his right, the knight continues down the hallway.
He advances cautiously through the water clogged hallway. As he moves, he takes the time to test the ground under his leading foot before he proceeds to shift his weight, wary of concealed holes that could lead him to a fall towards his death.
As always, Jonnel is right behind him, ready to help.

Kish
2015-07-10, 09:53 AM
As you move off the stairs, water explodes around Jonnel, rising in a geyser and raining down in the otherwise still hall. When the water settles, Jonnel is gone.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

You find yourself standing in four feet of water in a 10 X 10 cell. The cries for help are now much closer to your south, but of more immediate importance to you is the shadowy figure with glowing red eyes and the barest shape of a humanoid, who glides forward toward your cell.

The door of the cell, on the west side, is closed but you can see through the bars; there are solid walls on the other three sides.

stack
2015-07-10, 10:26 AM
Brom raises his shield reflexively as the water gushes up, lowering it to find they are a man short. "Jonnel!" He calls out. "Did anyone see where he went? Ivyn, did you sense any magic?"

neoseph7
2015-07-10, 06:55 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Magical Effects? Taking ten for 27 or rolling if not allowed to take ten.
[roll0]

This stuff may be shin high for you giants but us normal sized people have to wade through it! Sir Squire-be-gone! Stick your glowing sword in the water. The illumination will be better in a refracting medium than above the reflective surface. And WHAT IS THAT SMELL?!

Ivyn does not like to be in water. Too similar to bathing.

Vetril
2015-07-11, 03:27 PM
Jonnel is disoriented for a moment. He tries to understand where he is using what he hears, but the threatening apparition makes him forget about the idea. Instead, he starts looking for an exit, and shouts as loud as he can, calling for help.

"Gallard! Not to make you worry, but I'll need help with this one! It's a ghost!"

Gallard looks around, trying to find any trace of his friend. The water splashes as he moves towards the point where Jonnel stood just seconds earlier. As he gets close, the knight looks for traps or passages through which the warrior might have been pulled.

"Where is he?"

Kish
2015-07-11, 04:05 PM
As Gallard moves into the section of the corridor where Jonnel disappeared, another geyser erupts and Gallard disappears as well.

You hear Jonnel's indistinct voice from the south, though you don't know what he's saying.

You know what Jonnel said.

You find yourself standing in four feet of water in a 10 X 10 cell. "Aah! Hello!" the other man in the cell says. He's average height and weight, with black hair and dark brown eyes.

The door of the cell, on the west side, is closed but you can see through the bars; there are solid walls on the other three sides. To your northwest, you see a shadowy figure with glowing red eyes and the barest shape of a humanoid, gliding northeast at an angle (so, moving toward you on the east-west axis, but further away from you on the north-south axis).

stack
2015-07-12, 12:25 PM
"Ivyn, is it dangerous?" Brom queries, following the knights if the answer is not emphatically positive.

Kish
2015-07-12, 01:01 PM
Ireena says, "Hear that? Jonnel's to the south--and he said something about a ghost!" She runs toward the door to your southwest and...disappears in a geyser of water halfway to the door.

The place where Ireena disappeared is marked on the map with Ir in light blue, the same as the place where Jonnel and Gallard disappeared is marked with G in light blue.

You are suddenly pushed to one side; Ireena appears where you were a second ago.

Ionbound
2015-07-12, 07:02 PM
Elena gasps and says, "Ireena!" as she runs towards where the woman was just moments before.

Kish
2015-07-13, 08:48 AM
In a geyser of water, Elena disappears.

You find yourself standing in four feet of water in a 10 X 10 cell. Before you can look around a zombie is lunging at you.

The door of the cell, on the west side, is closed but you can see through the bars; there are solid walls on the other three sides.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tOJAPlUkGFZv5TF3RluvyVevT22d26fusiaN-xC_vZ4/edit?usp=sharing) is updated; since the majority of the party is in the cell block and it looks like everyone will be shortly, I've added it to the map now.
Key:
T: Place where two people disappeared.
W: The spectral figure advancing on Jonnel and Ireena.
Z: The zombie.
M: The strange man.

Kish
2015-07-13, 11:26 AM
A second later, Elena feels herself pushed out of the way as Brom appears in the same cell.

The zombie makes an unpleasant moaning sound.

Ionbound
2015-07-13, 03:00 PM
Elena shrugs off the zombie's attack as thought it was nothing, retaliating out of hand with the new mace she's picked up as she calls out, "Ireena? Are you here? Are you alright? Where are you?"

When Brom appears, Elena turns to him and asks, "Can you see Ireena, Brom?"

Full attack: [roll0]

[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

stack
2015-07-13, 03:14 PM
Seeing Elena attack, Brom joins in. [roll0]
damage [roll1] (blunt/piercing, silver)

[roll2]
damage [roll3] (blunt/piercing, silver)

neoseph7
2015-07-13, 07:58 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

...Guys? Aw p00p. The water logged gnome watches as his compatriots rush headlong into what is obviously a trap. He looks and listens to his surroundings before moving forward, concentrating as best he can, even sticking his head in the water for the improved auditory effect.

neoseph7
2015-07-14, 10:36 PM
Ivyn will move forward, avoiding the traps to the best of his abilities, swimming if he must, to the end of the hallway.

If it moves things further along faster, I don't mind Ivyn falling into the trap. It's just not something he'd do voluntarily.

Kish
2015-07-14, 10:58 PM
No fudging involved. Congratulations, you just found the third trap in the hallway, and rolled a 1 on your Reflex save.

You've just passed the north door when the water geysers over your head, and when it falls you're somewhere else.

Gallard is suddenly pushed out of the way, and Ivyn appears where he was standing a second ago. Ivyn finds himself floating in four feet of water in a 10 X 10 cell which he shares with Gallard and a strange man. The door of the cell, on the west side, is closed but you can see through the bars; there are solid walls on the other three sides.

"I'm here," Ireena's voice calls from the north of everyone but Jonnel. "There's some kind of ghost."

Vetril
2015-07-15, 02:23 PM
Jonnel retracts from the bars, trying to put as much distance as possible between himself and the eerie figure. He seems worried, but raises his sword, ready for everything.

"How do you fight a ghost?"

Gallard dismisses the man as harmless after a quick look. Instead, he raises his sword to illuminate the bars that hold him and Ivyn prisoner, reasoning that the wetness of the dungeon might have corroded the iron to the point of making it fragile.

Jonnel - use Dodge on the ghost, take a step back, Total Defense.

Gallard - Search the bars for some damaged parts that might break, so that a passage can be opened in order to escape the cell: [roll0].

Kish
2015-07-15, 04:53 PM
Ireena and Jonnel's cell: "Try my rapier if your sword's not magic," Ireena says. "Wonder if they need silver arrows." As she speaks, the spectral figure floats through the bars; Ireena fires an arrow at it which lodges in its phantasmal shoulder, and it drifts up to her and gropes at her, its hand sinking into her chest.

Brom and Elena's cell: The zombie claws Brom.

Gallard and Ivyn's cell: The bars look solid. You might be able to bend them, but you doubt you could do it quickly.

Ireena's attack: [roll0] [roll1] Affects incorporeal opponent on 2: [roll2]
The figure's attack: [roll3] [roll4][roll5]
Ireena's Fortitude save: [roll6]
The zombie's attack: [roll7] [roll8]

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-07-16, 10:56 AM
Brom takes the hit and responds in kind.[roll0]

[roll2]
damage [roll3] (blunt/piercing, silver)

Ionbound
2015-07-16, 03:43 PM
Elena steps around the zombie, trying to get into a flanking position with Brom as she swings at the zombie menacing them.

Attack: [roll0] (-2 if not Flanking)

Attack: [roll2] (-2 if not Flanking)
Damage: [roll3]

Vetril
2015-07-17, 04:48 PM
Reasoning that there must be a way to open the bars in order to enter and exit the cell, Gallard looks for a door frame, preparing to try to break through the lock with a well placed kick.

Jonnel hisses in frustration, and proceeds to lash out with his sword to determine the effectiveness of his own weapon.

Assuming there's a metal door on the side of the bars, Gallard tries to burst through the lock with brute force: Strength check: [roll0].

Jonnel: keeps using Dodge on the ghost, and fight defensively. Attack the ghost: [roll1], [roll2].

Kish
2015-07-18, 02:22 PM
Brom and Elena's cell: Elena steps to the south but has no room to flank the zombie in the cell. Her mace strikes it solidly once. Brom's morningstar also strikes it. The zombie continues to attack Brom.

Jonnel and Ireena's cell: Jonnel's sword passes through the apparition's chest with no more resistance or effect than if he was striking at the wind; Ireena quickly switches from her bow to her rapier and stabs at the figure. The apparition continues its attack on Ireena.

Gallard and Ivyn's cell: Gallard slams his fist into the door lock, ineffectively.

Extra damage for Elena's crystal: [roll0]
Should Brom's rolls both be 1d20+9? If one should be 1d20+4, I'm giving my zombie back eight hit points.
Ireena's attack roll: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Affects incorporeal creature on a 2: [roll3]
Spectral figure's attack: [roll4] Critical threat roll: [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]
Ireena's Fortitude save: [roll8]
The zombie's attack: [roll9] Critical threat roll: [roll10] Damage: [roll11]

Gallard's sword: Glowing.
PC's turn.

Vetril
2015-07-20, 05:25 PM
Jonnel tries to distract the spectre, shouting and swinging his sword menaciously.

"Hey, here! Try that with me!"

In the other cell, Gallard refuses to submit to despair. He takes a few steps back and launches himself against the door, trying to break free. He eyes the gnome, hoping that magic might come to the rescue.

"Hold on! We're coming! ...Well, try something, sir mage!"

Jonnel - aid another, Dodge, fight defensively. [roll0] vs AC 10.

Gallard - tries again to break through the door: [roll1]

neoseph7
2015-07-21, 06:10 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn casts reduce person on himself and leaves the cell, possibly clinging off of Gallard and the cells to make up for his lack of aquatic skill. I don't have knock prepared. I'm going to go find a key.

stack
2015-07-21, 11:24 AM
Brom continues his attack, hoping to save his other resources for other foes.attacks should be +9 and +4, sorry

[roll0]

[roll]1d20+9)[20]
damage [roll2] (blunt/piercing, silver)

Kish
2015-07-21, 09:15 PM
Ivyn gets outside the cell, clinging to the bars.

I still need to know where Ivyn is trying to go.

Ionbound
2015-07-21, 09:19 PM
Elena follows up Brom's attack with two of her own, wanting to end the fight before someone gets hurt.

[roll0]
[roll1]+[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]+[roll5]

Kish
2015-07-21, 11:27 PM
Gallard and Ivyn's cell: Gallard thumps ineffectually into the door. "You're no more able to escape than I am," the man in the cell sighs, then gasps as Ivyn shrinks and wriggles through the bars.

Brom and Elena's cell: As Brom and Elena both strike the zombie, it collapses back into the water, shattered.

Jonnel and Ireena's cell: Ireena strikes rapidly at the apparition, which stays focused on her.

Ireena's second attack, boosted by Aid Another: [roll3] [roll4] Affects incorporeal opponent on 2: [roll5]
The figure's attack: [roll6] [roll7][roll8]
Ireena's Fortitude save: [roll9]

PCs' turn.

stack
2015-07-22, 03:27 PM
Brom moves to the bars and tries his strength at forcing an opening, calling on his divine blessing. 1/day +8 strength for [roll0] strength check

Ionbound
2015-07-22, 09:16 PM
Elena nods when she sees Brom's effort and wordlessly grabs a bar with armored fists, aiming to help him make a hole wide enough to pass through.

Strength Check: [roll0]

Kish
2015-07-25, 10:29 AM
Elena and Brom's cell: Elena and Brom together bend the bars far enough to let them leave the cell, one at a time.

Gallard and Ivyn's cell: Gallard tries to bend the bars. The strange man in the cell watches Ivyn, who clings to the bar at the north end which Gallard isn't pushing on.

Ireena and Jonnel's cell: Jonnel continues trying to distract the apparition, and Ireena stabs at it again. Her rapier passes harmlessly through it once, but the second time she skewers it and it fades away with an enraged moan.

Now that Elena and Brom have enough movement range for it to matter, note that movement through the four-foot-deep water costs quadruple for Medium-sized creatures.

Ireena's second attack, boosted by Aid Another: [roll3] [roll4] Affects incorporeal opponent on 2: [roll5]
The figure's attack: [roll6] [roll7] [roll8]
Ireena's Fortitude save: [roll9]

Map is updated.

Vetril
2015-07-25, 04:26 PM
Jonnel seems surprised at the sight of the ghost disappearing into the air. He shouts to warn the others.

"I - I think we got it! It's gone!"

He pats Ireena's shoulder, and nods in appreciation, a smile on his face.

"That was great."

In the other cell, Gallard huffs and puffs as he tries to break free. He shakes the bars to see if some of them are not firmly anchored to the stone. As he proceeds with his examination, he looks again at the other prisoner.

"Who are you?"

Gallard - Detect Evil on the prisoner.

Ionbound
2015-07-25, 10:51 PM
Elena smiles as the bars part and nods to Brom as she steps out and looks around, then calls out, "Alright...Is everyone here and safe?"

stack
2015-07-26, 01:22 PM
"I am fine. Perhaps foolish, but fine."

Kish
2015-07-27, 10:49 AM
Ireena and Jonnel's cell: "I feel a little drained, but only a little," Ireena says. She shouts, "Is everyone in here somewhere?"

Gallard and Ivyn's cell: "I'm Emil," the man says. "I was exploring around here when something got me. The next thing I knew, I was floating in here. I think my skin is about ready to shrivel away!" He turns to address Ivyn, still clinging to the bars outside the cell, "Can you get us out of here? If you do, I can help you. I'm pretty handy with a bow. Back in Barovia, it was Emil they used to ask to bring down the mad wolves that got too close to town."

He radiates a moderate aura of evil.

stack
2015-07-27, 11:05 AM
"I believe we are all here. Let's get them out." Brom looks about for a key or easy way to open the cells, though will gather those able and bend the bars if needed. looking around for anything obvious, then we can take 20 on strength checks until everyone is free

neoseph7
2015-07-28, 05:44 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn will swim about and explore the room, searching for a key or anything useful. And ignore the other prisoner.

Swimming. Holding breath with style. Same thing.

Kish
2015-07-28, 09:42 AM
Tiny Ivyn fumbles his way around the cell block as Brom, Elena, Jonnel, and Ireena slowly bend the bars of the cell that still holds Jonnel and Ireena, and then the cell that holds Gallard and Emil. There is no sign of a key, though there is another zombie in the north cell, who launches itself at the bars as Ivyn swims into view but seems quite confined.

You advance a level.

Ionbound
2015-07-28, 05:10 PM
Elena ignores the zombie as she looks around and says, "Good...We're all here. Who's in the cell with Gallard?"

Kish
2015-07-28, 09:58 PM
The man smiles artlessly at Elena and starts, "I'm Emil, I--" then he abruptly stops, gaping at her in astonished shock. "He didn't send you, surely! I-is the pack moving against the Count?" he stutters.

Vetril
2015-07-29, 02:06 PM
Gallard doesn't seem to relax at all: his sword stays out, as he stares at Emil.

"Did you... come to the castle to explore?"

From the tone of his voice, it is clear that the knight does not believe the prisoner. Feeling the tension in his friend's words, Jonnel steps next to Gallard, seemingly ready to jump into the fight once again.

Gallard - sense motive to see if Emil will answer the truth: [roll0].

Ionbound
2015-07-29, 03:56 PM
Elena frowns and says, "Who are you? What are you talking about?"

Kish
2015-07-30, 10:45 AM
The man looks at Ireena. He looks confused...or very nervous. "You're Ireena Kolyana, aren't you?" he asks her.

Instead of answering, Ireena tilts her head toward Gallard.

stack
2015-07-30, 11:23 AM
"He didn't answer the questions." Brom's hand tightens on the grip of his weapon.

Kish
2015-07-30, 09:00 PM
"Ah...I'm Emil," the man stutters after a few minutes. "I used to be a wolf-hunter, from Barovia. Then one day a wolf I was hunting bit me and my...perspective changed. The pack in the forest around here, they, ah, sent me to the castle, to spy on the Count. After I'd been here for a while, I wandered into one of the traps the Necromancer set up in the hall outside here. She hadn't decided what to do with me yet. Are you here to fight her? Or--or the count? I can help you, you know!"

Ionbound
2015-07-30, 09:35 PM
Elena frowns, growls slightly, then says, "I see. Out with it, then. Then we'll decide what to do with you."

stack
2015-07-30, 09:54 PM
"Works for the wolves? I question his aid, given what we have seen of them."

Kish
2015-07-31, 02:19 PM
"I meant physically. Though I can also guide you around some. Did the pack send you?" the man addresses Elena.

"I'm not sure how much choice we have," Ireena says. "He hasn't done anything to justify our killing him, and we've already wrecked the cell he was in; I certainly don't want him at our backs."

Ionbound
2015-07-31, 04:42 PM
Elena frowns and says, "Why do you think I would be sent by your pack? I'm not a werewolf, nor do I intend to be. And I agree with Ireena...I want you where I can see you, all the time/.

Vetril
2015-07-31, 06:02 PM
Gallard doesn't lower his weapon.

"He's free to go, but I'll have nothing to do with him."

The knight seems resolute in his decision. Next to him, Jonnel nods with emphasis, underlining the concept.

"Right, we shall not take him with us! He might turn on us and betray our group! Everyone knows werewolves are deceitful and evil creatures."

Ionbound
2015-08-01, 12:26 AM
Elena nods and says, "That's why I want him in front of us, where we can see him and he can't ambush us. If we let him go, gods know what he might do. If he stays with us, at least we'll see the betrayal coming."

Vetril
2015-08-01, 03:43 AM
Gallard doesn't even consider the suggestion for more than a second before shaking his head.

"He is a devious creature. I will not knowingly associate with one of his nature."

Kish
2015-08-01, 05:37 PM
"I'm not an expert on werewolves. Though Valicia told us how to find the Drowned Lady earlier, and warned us about the vampire who was with her." She frowns. "If being a werewolf guarantees someone cannot be trusted, then...hm. Can you tell us where the crypts are, anyway?"

"This is the right level, but entirely the wrong section of it," the man says. "Your best bet is to go back to the entry level and take the stairs down from the chapel. If you insist on staying on this level, you'll need to go through the Necromancer's area. She's, um, unfriendly 'nless she wants to cut you up. Seein' as how she reacted to seeing one of his--what she thought was one of his agents, I'm pretty sure she's gone unfriendly to the Count along with everyone else, but if his knightness finds me just too monstrous, making nice with her is--well, maybe not so far-fetched; she might do things to corpses that make me nearly lose my lunch, but she's still perfectly human herself, as far as I know. Anyway, if you want to get to the crypts the easy way, go up to the entry level, find the chapel, and take the south stairs down. If you want the hard way, go to the west end of the hallway, through the torture chamber, head north, and take the righthand stairs when you have a choice." The man wades toward the door.