PDA

View Full Version : Nemesis feat (DM 324)

j_spencer93
2015-04-07, 07:25 PM
This feat looks really nice for a ranger. IS it as good as it looks? being able to locate your favored enemy and then deal even more damage if its is evil is great to me..

Blackhawk748
2015-04-07, 07:28 PM
This feat looks really nice for a ranger. IS it as good as it looks? being able to locate your favored enemy and then deal even more damage if its is evil is great to me..

Its nice if your FE is undead, as most are Evil and they show up a lot, also they have a tendency to he hard to find.

j_spencer93
2015-04-07, 07:32 PM
Also neat it is an Exalted feat but can be chosen by any alignment. Anyways, so its especially good against creatures that are normally evil. Got that, actually can see mentioning this to a player with a ranger built just to slay evil lol
The locating part is what really stood out to me, i just thought that was amazing.

Chronos
2015-04-07, 07:54 PM
Exalted feats can only be chosen by characters who are not just good, but extremely good. That's a property of exalted feats in general, even if a given feat doesn't specifically mention it.

But yes, it's a very nice feat. The bonus damage isn't a bad thing, of course, but what really sells it is the detection, which gets past almost all defenses against detection (Darkstalker, Mind Blank, etc.).

And other good Favored Enemy options with it include Arcanists (as per Complete Arcane), or take the Stalker of Khoresh prestige class to get Favored Enemy: Evil. Yes, they get literally all evil creatures as a favored enemy.

j_spencer93
2015-04-07, 08:04 PM
Uh Chronos this feat specifically calls out that those of neutral and evil and choose it. lol ya, just loses its exalted tag and something else, idr what.

torrasque666
2015-04-07, 08:13 PM
Uh Chronos this feat specifically calls out that those of neutral and evil and choose it. lol ya, just loses its exalted tag and something else, idr what.
Can you provide a source on that? Because this is exactly what it says:

NEMESIS [EXALTED]
You are the holy bane of creatures of a particular type.
Prerequisites: Favored enemy class ability.
Benefit: Choose one of your favored enemies. You can sense the
presence of creatures of this type within 60 feet, as well as pinpoint
their exact location (distance and direction) relative to you. Normal
barriers and obstructions do not block this supernatural ability,
allowing you to sense the presence and location of creatures
behind doors or walls, for example. This feat does not allow you to
see an invisible or hidden creature (although you can still discern
its location).
In addition to sensing the presence of your favored enemy,
you deal +1d6 points of damage on weapon attack rolls made
against evil representatives of the favored enemy creature type.
Special: You can choose this feat multiple times. Its effects do
not stack. Each time you select this feat, it applies to a different
favored enemy.

Huh, no exceptions are being made in that text.

Bronk
2015-04-07, 08:20 PM
There's a class listed in Dragon Magazine 324 p81-82 called the 'Sworn Slayer' that gives you the Nemesis feat as a class feature, regardless of alignment, but only to his 'sworn foe', another class feature.

Sworn foe looks much more restrictive than FE though.

HunterOfJello
2015-04-07, 08:28 PM
It would only be good depending on what your enemy is. You have to get within 60ft to even notice them.

If you were one of those magebane rangers whose enemies are arcane spellcasters or creatures with spell-like abilities then this feat could be good. If you hunt things that are invisible or really hard to find (ghosts?), then it could be worth it as well.

j_spencer93
2015-04-07, 08:35 PM
Actually Tarrasque we both are wrong. You cut off an entire paragraph, I was wrong because it explicitly calls out other alignment sworn slayers, not everyone who takes it can bypass the alignment restrictions.
My bad chronos.

torrasque666
2015-04-07, 08:41 PM
Actually Tarrasque we both are wrong. You cut off an entire paragraph, I was wrong because it explicitly calls out other alignment sworn slayers, not everyone who takes it can bypass the alignment restrictions.
My bad.
That was a direct copypasta from the Book of Exalted Deeds! Not my fault for not using the version found in the sketchy depths of Dragon Magazine.

j_spencer93
2015-04-07, 08:52 PM
You know what lol I have copied that entire book and somehow never realized it was in both places. Which means i need to fix the one i have, and maybe just past that extra part into the class. Wow so this helped me in a few ways.
Guess thats a man bad to you too Tarrasque.