PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Boosting Escalation Mage's Caster Level

Pippin
2015-04-08, 04:03 AM
Hey playground,

I'm trying to find permanent (something that applies all day long) ways to increase CLs for Escalation Mages. There is the orange ioun stone, and the arcane mastery feat allows me to take 10 on CL checks, so that makes 31.

Quickening a 9th-level spell requires 16 + 9 x 2 = 34, so I'm still looking for 3 additional CLs. It is my understanding that reserves of strength won't work, since you're increasing your CL for the spell, not your actual CL for the CL check.

Also, create magic tattoo is too expensive to apply daily.

Any ideas?

Necroticplague
2015-04-08, 04:11 AM
Consumptive Field should do the trick easily enough.

Pippin
2015-04-08, 05:04 AM
Consumptive Field should do the trick easily enough.
Can this be persisted?

Also this is for Clerics, so I'm going to have a hard time casting it.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-08, 05:10 AM
Raising Caster Level (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1054346)

Grooke
2015-04-08, 05:46 AM
Also, create magic tattoo is too expensive to apply daily.

If your DM allows you to fail your save willingly, you can use Shadow Conjuration to copy it for free from a 4th level slot.

Pippin
2015-04-08, 08:21 AM
If your DM allows you to fail your save willingly, you can use Shadow Conjuration to copy it for free from a 4th level slot.
It's a strange thing to do, though. I'm supposed to cast an illusion and then believe it's real. I'm not sure any DM would allow this? It's not exactly a matter of allowing a character to purposely fail a saving throw, it's just a matter of how this spell works / illusions work in general.

Grooke
2015-04-08, 08:37 AM
"Will, disbelief" saves are tricky. Rules say:

A character faced with proof that an illusion isn't real needs no saving throw.
First of all, they don't say casting the spell is sufficient proof that it isn't real (though thats a weak argument unless you're playing a PC with no short-term memory) but more importantly, they don't say you can't take the save.

If you can take it, you can choose to fail it. If you fail it, you are affected by the spell at full force.

If that is not enough, Chains of Disbelief might allows you to take the save even with proof that its not real.

Worst case, it still has a 30% chance of working (and can get much higher).

sideswipe
2015-04-08, 08:37 AM
It's a strange thing to do, though. I'm supposed to cast an illusion and then believe it's real. I'm not sure any DM would allow this? It's not exactly a matter of allowing a character to purposely fail a saving throw, it's just a matter of how this spell works / illusions work in general.

you know its real. 10% real