View Full Version : Pathfinder Rogue dipping into Wizard, worth it?

Aasimar
2015-04-08, 08:13 PM
Howdy, much as the title suggests, I'm wondering whether a dedicated skill-monkey rogue (with an int between 12-14, still to be determined) would benefit very much from a single level dip into Wizard with the Foresight divination sub-school?

Also, whether it would be too cheesy. I'm not much of a powergamer (hence, skillmonkey rogue) but I do see some nice side benefits from the single level. (pick up some utility spells, a familiar to grant alertness and +3 to a skill like maybe stealth or perception, the foresight abilities and stuff)

For context, the character is going to be a half-orc rogue with a falchion, mostly melee based.

Psyren
2015-04-08, 08:28 PM
You also get access to Wizard wands without UMD.

5 "rerolls" per day isn't a bad use of a dip, no.

Firechanter
2015-04-08, 11:11 PM
Well, it may not be terribly optimized, but a Rogue/Wizard (I forget what levels) once drove me nuts by bypassing entire dungeons.

Kurald Galain
2015-04-09, 01:57 AM
Howdy, much as the title suggests, I'm wondering whether a dedicated skill-monkey rogue (with an int between 12-14, still to be determined) would benefit very much from a single level dip into Wizard with the Foresight divination sub-school?
That's a very good deal, yes. I don't see it as particularly cheesy; it's a standard lead-in to the Arcane Trickster prestige class (which isn't all that strong, but not bad for your purposes).

Do note that you can take the Acid Splash cantrip and sneak attack with that. Also, picking up a Wand of Shield and using that (almost) every combat may be useful.

13ones
2015-04-09, 06:40 AM
I think you should look into this. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IZBcQbZlN5psPppnuQvOO3xJ5P84tI6UNPiQz5_jEGc/edit)

Spore
2015-04-09, 09:04 AM
It is always worth it. Wizard is more or less a question of: "Can I justify dipping into a class with extensive background work without retconning arcane studies into my backstory."

Geddy2112
2015-04-09, 09:12 AM
If you don't mind playing a Kitsune, the Kitsune Trickster archtype works well to dip into wizard because you get bonuses to several skills based off your int modifier, and all you lose out on is trap finding(which is fairly meh as it is)

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune/kitsune-trickster-rogue-kitsune