PDA

View Full Version : Red Sun: Vertigo (IC)

josienoms
2015-04-08, 10:46 PM
The streets of Sidereal city are no longer safe for you. When Lord Quine was in power, it was the only safe haven in Korugar for anyone who was not an Elf. Since Count Vaartigo has been given control of the city, patrols have been instated, and all non-Elves have been forced into hiding. Luckily, the Black Canaries have been working overtime, taking refugees into their cloister, getting those who want to leave out of the country, and hiding those who want to fight back.

You are currently en route to that cloister. A Black Canary leads the way, her movements silent in the night. The banners flying over the city have been changed. The crossed green arrows over a field of black have been replaced with a purple spiral on a field of green. It was the first sign that control of the city had passed from the Quines to the Vaartigos.

Your guide, Felicitii Smoak, is an Elf with her long blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail. She wears formfitting clothes, giving her more freedom of movement, and disguising her in the night. She raises her fingers to her lips as another patrol passes by the sidestreet where you're currently standing. Once they've passed, she takes a quick look around the corner, and seems to think it's okay to speak. She speaks in Common, for ease of communication.

"We're almost there. It's just another mile to the cloister. Once we get there, Master Diinah can explain more to you. But we're thankful you answered her call. I know smuggling you into the city was an ordeal..."

Getting you at the Kryptonian border was easy. But passing through the Korugaran countryside, constantly on the move and avoiding being turned in to Sinestro's forces was a godawful slog. The most difficult part so far has been getting you through the city. As she speaks, another patrol rounds the corner, and you all hear the guards speaking with each other quietly in Elvish.

Those who understand Elvish hear this: "I thought I heard something around the corner. We should take a look."

Felicitii's eyes widen in panic, and she starts to back up.

"We're about to be spotted!"

The alley you're in has few places to hide. There's a door into what seems to be a shop on the right side, a few handholds that could lead to the roof on the left side, and a pile of garbage against the left wall. The alley leads off into another street in the back, as the guards would be approaching from the front.

Jurai
2015-04-09, 08:25 AM
[roll0]

Grundy starts climbing up the wall, his natural aptitude for athleticism and his training allowing him to ascend without much trouble.

Zergrinch
2015-04-09, 09:07 AM
It's been a long hard slog through Korugar, and now, the streets of Sidereal City, for Zhann Gaunstantine. He's never felt particularly welcome in the city, and now doubly so since the elven supremacists took control. True, Diinah Lans offered extremely generous terms for rescuing her paramour, though that wasn't necessarily the only reason why he took on this job.

"I thought I heard something around the corner. We should take a look."

At this, the really fetching Felicitii blanches a little. Zhann looks appreciatively at her form-fitting bodysuit. This canary's not a half bad looker. Maybe he can get to know her better later.

"We're about to be spotted!" she just about wails.

Zhann looks around his surroundings. Not that many places to hide. Climb up the roof? No thanks. Hide in a garbage? Perish the thought. Break into a shop and get into even more trouble? Pass.

The bard calmly takes out a cigar and starts chewing on it.

"Don't worry, love. I got this," he smiles brilliantly, as he applies some makeup on his face. A man's gotta look his best for the guards, eh? "Unless of course you have better ideas?" he asks his traveling companions.

Cast Friends cantrip on self (and continuously renew). For the next minute, Zhann has advantage on all Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion) checks directed at a non-hostile creature. After the spell ends, the creature realizes magic was used to influence its mood, and becomes hostile depending on the nature of the interaction.

Jurai
2015-04-09, 09:21 AM
Grun'di stops, just out of sight, waiting to get the drop on the guards in case things turn sour, and turns his head to watch the proceedings.

DarkSetzer
2015-04-09, 05:50 PM
Viktor stops short, just behind Grun'di, trying to stick to the shadows just out of sight. He readies himself to provide cover should things go sour.

Viktor will maintain a readied action to cast Fog Cloud should the confrontation turn to combat.

Rokku
2015-04-09, 07:58 PM
Cassandra puts her hand on Felicitii's shoulder and silently points up, then heads up the wall.

Athletics: [roll0]

josienoms
2015-04-09, 11:28 PM
The guards come down the alley just as the others reach their hiding spots, and see only Zhann in the street. There are three of them, each with swords at their hips. They wear heavy armor, gilded with the Sinestro family crest on their chests. The crest is vaguely reminiscent of the symbol of the Order of the Green Lantern, though it is rendered in yellow, and has more sharp, angular lines.

One of the guards, seemingly of a higher rank than the others due to his more ornate armor and the yellow cloak he wears, steps forward. He looks Zhann over, his hand not quite falling to the hilt of his sword. He starts to speak, in Elvish of course.

"What are you doing out so late, citizen?"

So far, things don't seem to be going badly. Depending on Zhann's next move, that could rapidly change.

Zergrinch
2015-04-10, 12:35 AM
Zhann Gaunstantine looks up, and bows obsequiously at the guardsman.

"Good evening, Lord Captain. I'm terribly sorry - I just plumb lost track of the time!" he replies in perfect Elvish. "You see, me and the missus, well, we had a bit of a row. And bob's your uncle, that lovely gal can swing that frying pan like nobody's business."

Straightening out his clothes, the bard continues his deceptive lies. "Now I can't hit a lady, so I left for a walk to clear my head. Head must have been overstuffed because, well, before you know it, here I am!" Taking his cigar out of his mouth, he asks, "I don't suppose you can do me a solid and give me a light?"

Allowing a little worry to cross his features, the bard leans in and says, "Listen, I'm really sorry about this - won't happen again, Scout's honor. I'm not in any trouble, am I?"

Deception. [roll0]. Advantage roll [roll1] with Friends cantrip.

josienoms
2015-04-10, 09:01 AM
The guard Captain glares at Zhann for a moment, then rolls his eyes and sighs. With a snap of his fingers, a tongue of flame appears, and he gives the Bard a light for his cigar.

"Don't cause any trouble, and get indoors as soon as you can. If you see anything suspicious, come find me. Rumor is, there are still a lot of outsiders trying to escape the city."

The other guards relax, and after a moment, the trio walk away, back on their patrol.

Felicitii sighs in relief.

"That was close. Once they're out of sight, we should get moving again."

Zergrinch
2015-04-10, 09:05 AM
"Don't cause any trouble, and get indoors as soon as you can. If you see anything suspicious, come find me. Rumor is, there are still a lot of outsiders trying to escape the city."

"Will do, Lord Captain, and thanks for the light!" Zhann salutes the guardsman, and immediately marches briskly in the opposite direction. Within a minute, the guard is going to realize he's been had, and the Bard intends to put as much distance between himself and the patsy while he still can.

Rokku
2015-04-10, 11:07 AM
Cassandra follows, staying to the rooftops as much as she can. It would give her a good vantage point to spot incoming trouble.

Jurai
2015-04-10, 01:12 PM
Grun'di rushes to catch up with Zhann, and smiles. He speaks. "Grun'di is impressed with your quick tongue."

Zergrinch
2015-04-11, 06:52 PM
"Why thank you... S'lomon Grun'di, is it? I try, I try!" the bard flashes him a grin. "But we'd best make haste - he should be realizing any time now that I've done something to influence his mood."

Jurai
2015-04-11, 07:16 PM
"Yes, S'lomon Grun'di is the name given to Grun'di." He says, confirming the bard's theory. "And if they want to pick a fight with us, Grun'di will make them regret it."

DarkSetzer
2015-04-11, 08:14 PM
"It would appear that S'lomon is far less eloquent with his words than you are. Though his point is accurate." Viktor smiled as he stepped out of the shadows behind Grun'di. "Now lets get moving."

josienoms
2015-04-11, 09:55 PM
As you begin moving through the streets once more, you hear the sounds of shouts coming from the direction of the guards. Felicitii picks up the pace, ducking down a few more side streets and alleys, and the sounds of footsteps slowly but surely fade away. Soon, the monastery is in sight, when those same three guards charge in from a street that crosses the one you're on. The Captain draws his sword, and calls out to you in Common.

"Stop! By order of King Thaal Sinestro, you're all under arrest. And this seems to put the Black Canaries in quite a tight spot, doesn't it?"

He smirks, and takes a step forward.

"You should have run, or hidden, or done anything else. Did you think I wouldn't recognize the touch of magic when your influence faded?"

Jurai
2015-04-11, 10:10 PM
Grun'di cracks his neck, and then smirks. "Grun'di doesn't think you're entirely stupid, guard. Grun'di thinks you might want to run, unless you want to pick a fight with Grun'di, in which case, Grun'di will make you wish you didn't." He cracks his knuckles, before putting his dukes up. "Grun'di, after all, has seen more than you have, elf. Grun'di has had everyone he loves taken from him without being given a chance to defend them. Grun'di suggests that you go back to your patrol route."

(OOC: Grun'di is hoping to intimidate the fool guard before he has to wipe him off of his fists.)
[roll0]

Zergrinch
2015-04-12, 05:50 AM
"Well, okay guv'nor, you got me, I did do a spot of magic on meself," Zhann says, raising his hands to show the guard that he is unarmed. "But really now, we're just a bunch of lost blokes just bumming around. His Lordship Sinestro has absolutely nothing to fear from our motley crew."

The bard lowers his hands slowly, with his left hand going towards his cigar as he takes a puff and blows out the smoke. His right hand goes back into his waist, where he surreptitiously just touches his shawm - and magical focus.

"Now, let's not get into fisticuffs here - we'd likely get whacked, but then you'd have to file a report and explain how you allow yourself to get hoodwinked by a cantrip! Why not just go about your rounds and pretend this never happened? We aren't the Black Canaries you are looking for," the Bard suggests.

Action: Cast SUGGESTION on the captain - the underlined italicized words form the suggestion (spell has no somatic component). Target makes a WIS save vs. DC 13. On Fail, target pursues the course of action I just described to the best of its ability, which can continue for the entire duration of the spell (8 hours). Suggestion is a concentration spell and is broken if Zhann or any of his companions damage the target.

Zhann Gaunstantine (Half-Elf Lore Bard 3)
AC: 14 | HP: 24/24 | THP: -/- | HD: 3/3
MP: 4/1/-/-/-/-/-/-/- | DC: 13 | Bardic Inspiration: 3/3
Light Crossbow Bolts: 20/20

Rokku
2015-04-12, 01:32 PM
Stealth [roll0]

Cassandra keeps to the shadows, and hopefully the guards never notice she's there. If this gets violent, she'll want the element of surprise.

josienoms
2015-04-13, 09:56 AM
[roll0]

The Captain scowls for another moment, but seems to relent.

"Very well. I'll let you off with a warning this time. Just don't let us catch you again."

He turns his back on you, and says to his companions,

"Let's move out."

One of them speaks up,

"Sir, are you sure that's wise?"

"I said MOVE!"

They march away, into the darkness of the night.

Zergrinch
2015-04-13, 11:39 AM
Zhann is nothing but gracious as the captain agrees to let them off with a warning. He even salutes them smartly as they march away into the night.

Finally, after the guards are completely out of range, he turns to Felicitii with a dazzling smile on his face. "Glad that was resolved diplomatically. I so abhor violence. Now, love, if you would lead the way?"

Jurai
2015-04-13, 12:31 PM
Grun'di relaxes, and his smile goes from psychotic to friendly.

josienoms
2015-04-14, 10:17 PM
Felicitii gives a curt nod, then leads the way into the cloister. The Monastery is a small, walled enclosure, and the gates open silently to allow you to pass. Once through the walls, she leads you to a hidden trapdoor a few dozen yards from the gate. She takes you down the stairs, and into a room filled with the hidden refugees.

People of all races are inside, and in varying states of dishevelment. Black Canaries are disturbing food and blankets to the refugees. Among them is an Elf of bearing an authority, whose long, curly blonde hair falls fair past her shoulders. She's dressed in simple black robes, and is overseeing the relief effort.

"Make sure there's enough water to go around."

She pauses as Felicitii approaches, and they speak in hushed tones, before Diinah herself comes over.

"Welcome all, to Sidereal City. I'm terribly sorry about your luck so far. But please, sit down. We have food and water for you, and then we can get down to business."

Jurai
2015-04-15, 08:13 AM
Grun'di nods. "Grun'di thanks you, madame. Grun'di hopes to find a lead on the person who killed my wife." He sighs.

Zergrinch
2015-04-15, 10:13 AM
Zhann pours himself a generous portion of ale from a flagon on the table, and takes a seat. The bard wastes no time in getting himself comfortable. He leans back in the chair, and raises both feet as he leans them against the table.

The bard takes a tentative sip. " Hmm, amber gold Archqillo from the vineyards of the Lord Sinestro's Honor Corps. Quite a rare vintage. You typically only see the dregs from Lea Sadrach these days. Anyway, your message was a tad cryptic, but here we are. What do you have in mind, love?"

Rokku
2015-04-15, 08:43 PM
The Black Bat takes her seat, remaining utterly still and utterly silent.