PDA

View Full Version : Player Help So, I disintergreded the earth

With a box
2015-04-08, 11:04 PM
So, The planet we lived on was a Genius Loci, and we fight with it. and I finished it with maximized disintergrete, so it turned into ashes.
Wait, what? :smalleek:
what should we do now?

Seclora
2015-04-08, 11:09 PM
So, The planet we lived on was a Genius Loci, and we fight with it. and I finished it with maximized disintergrete, so it turned into ashes.
what should we do now?

Plane Shift anywhere with air. Or Astral Project. Basically anything. Blink would work even, although Blinking in the middle of space seems like it would cause long term problems.

Also, find a new home.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-08, 11:10 PM
Plane Shift to a new dimension and start all over? Buy a nice little farm in the Elysium Fields and raise Celestial barley or something.

Flickerdart
2015-04-08, 11:11 PM
Well, a couple of things.

First of all, you are now floating through space. You were floating through space before, but the gravity of your planet kept all the stuff (air, food) floating through space with you. Now that you've ruined everything, it'll all begin to come apart. Not instantly - inertia is still a thing, and there are tons (literally) of atmosphere around you. The first thing you'll get is very strong winds as the atmosphere rushes in to fill the empty hole where a planet used to be, dragging you and everything else down with it. You will collide into everything else on the planet's surface on your way down, which kills you unless you can teleport away from this mess. The atmosphere is also going the other way - since there's suddenly no gravity holding it together, it will vent into space.

The whole mess is unlikely to stay together, since no pieces are individually large enough to affect anything else with their gravity. They will spread out along the former planet's orbit and eventually fall into the sun.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-08, 11:56 PM
Well, a couple of things.

First of all, you are now floating through space. You were floating through space before, but the gravity of your planet kept all the stuff (air, food) floating through space with you. Now that you've ruined everything, it'll all begin to come apart. Not instantly - inertia is still a thing, and there are tons (literally) of atmosphere around you. The first thing you'll get is very strong winds as the atmosphere rushes in to fill the empty hole where a planet used to be, dragging you and everything else down with it. You will collide into everything else on the planet's surface on your way down, which kills you unless you can teleport away from this mess. The atmosphere is also going the other way - since there's suddenly no gravity holding it together, it will vent into space.

The whole mess is unlikely to stay together, since no pieces are individually large enough to affect anything else with their gravity. They will spread out along the former planet's orbit and eventually fall into the sun.

When science and magic clash, you end up with replies like this.
+1, would read again :P

Things of note - assuming that the air you where breathing was not an aura of the creature, then the aura, and all of the air with it would go away when it died.

Depending on the nature of the spirit that was killed, if the things on the surface where made with parts of itself, you could rule that everything that was a part of the spirit is gone. This concept has flaws tho.

Assuming that the objects are created as such a divine rank creature would make, then yes, you would collide with all kinda crap on your way down, but most of it would be minor bashing damage, with very mild piercing/slashing damage too. Basic DR would block most of that non magic damage.

Depending on the level and classes of your party for this, a well timed control weather or other weather related spell would have interesting results. You may be able to effectively "grab" the air and keep it in a bubble around however many people you can keep alive.

Of course a good wish or miracle can save the situation too

Seerow
2015-04-09, 12:00 AM
Honestly?

Send this question in to What-If XKCD. I really want to see their answer.

Bad Wolf
2015-04-09, 12:01 AM
Plane shift to Sigil to avoid the hundreds of deities calling for your head.

The_Snark
2015-04-09, 12:11 AM
Depending on how much ash the genius loci left, the answer might be "you all choke to death". Disintegrate normally only leaves a trace of dust, but normally it's not affecting a whole planet's worth of mass either - if your DM decides it produces ash proportional to the thing disintegrated, then you are probably doomed.

Unless you happen to have a silenced Plane Shift ready, or a Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation), or some such. There are magical ways to defend yourself, but they're not common, and the choking storm of ash and dust won't give you much leeway to acquire them...

Inevitability
2015-04-09, 12:30 AM
This sounds like a pretty interesting story arc, actually. There are now thousands of pieces floating around, some of them pretty valuable (I believe artifacts can survive a lot of stuff). However, you also killed a laaaaarge part of the world's population. Not everyone is dead, though. Maybe Jerry the Ghoul did not get caught in any major impacts. Maybe a floating construct got caught on the wind and now floats through space. Maybe a major wizard Stopped Time and protected his sanctum well enough in the few rounds that got him.

What remains would be a loosely knit bunch of material, some of it held together by magic, other parts simply floating. A lot of extraplanar scavengers would appear, though.

At the same time, you killed most people in the world, so any major deities are looking for you. Either flee to Sigil, the Far Realms, or find Pandorym, and still expect major bounties on your head if you do so. I'm pretty sure at least a few gods would bestow Demigodhood on someone in exchange for slaying their most hated enemy.

DeAnno
2015-04-09, 12:57 AM
I'm pretty surprised it failed its fort save. Did it roll a natural 1?

With a box
2015-04-09, 01:07 AM
I'm pretty surprised it failed its fort save. Did it roll a natural 1?

I rolled 1 in the morning and use it for its fort save.
I can't remember what the name of it was...

TrollCapAmerica
2015-04-09, 01:19 AM
Dumb planet brought it on itself. Everyone knows what happens when you screw with Player-Characters

Mr Adventurer
2015-04-09, 04:27 AM
Haven't you only Disintegrated the part of the planet that actually attacked you, I.e. the Colossal creature that the Genius Loci was?

Surpriser
2015-04-09, 05:04 AM
There are mainly two ways how this could go: (well, three, but the third one is: Scrap it all and restart/start a new campaign, so not really constructive)

1) You (or your DM) perform a minor revision and retroactively use a "normal" genius loci. Then all you destroyed is a Colossal sized chunk of the planet, which should barely leave a scratch overall. Then you continue the campaign as normal.

2) If you are okay with doing something completely different, accept that you just destroyed the planet and base the rest of the campaign around that. You could try to establish some safe places on floating chunks just like in limbo or the elemental plane of air. You could Plane Shift to Sigill and play as fugitives trying to evade (or stop) the inevitable onslaught of quite annoyed gods, inevitables and former inhabitants of the material plane who somehow survived.

Bronk
2015-04-09, 06:33 AM
Yeah, there must have been a lot of non creature planet... otherwise where did your equipment come from? If no-one on your planet knew it was alive, and yet the world setting was otherwise normal, how would people mine metal, grow crops and so on? It kind of reminds me of 'Golem in the Gears', when Grundy tries using his magical language power to talk to some trees, but they don't answer... they turn out to be a giant sphinx's eyelashes! Basically, your whole world was like this the whole time!

I hope your DM has something cool lined up beyond 'death'. Maybe you'll be redeeming yourselves by flying through the new asteroid field hunting surviving undead?

Ashtagon
2015-04-09, 07:11 AM
That's small stakes. Come back when you've collapsed the entire universe into a singularity by converting its entire mass into von Neumann machines.

Segev
2015-04-09, 09:08 AM
That's small stakes. Come back when you've collapsed the entire universe into a singularity by converting its entire mass into von Neumann machines.

Pff. That wouldn't make it into a singularity. Just a very tesselated universe of identical sub-components. Unless you also then gathered all the von neumann machines into one place.

According to my paladin's wyrmling cohort, destroying universes is easy. He destroyed the last one he was in by simply growing too big for it, shattering the old one and bringing this one into existence as a place that is temporarily large enough to contain his majesty.

Inevitability
2015-04-09, 02:53 PM
Haven't you only Disintegrated the part of the planet that actually attacked you, I.e. the Colossal creature that the Genius Loci was?

Genius Loci have a special clause, though. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/geniusLoci.htm) it says that it's space/reach 'vary'. This means it can technically be of any size.

Heck, the example picture even is a planet!

Clistenes
2015-04-09, 03:12 PM
Well, I would say "get slinged to outer space reaaaaally fast due to a combination of inertia with the sudden disappareance of the gravity field keeping you anchored to the planet, fall unconscious due to the sudden change in atmospheric pressure, die due to lack of air when the atmosphere suddenly becomes too thin to breath or just disappears".

Of course, since the characters have just destroyed a planet they are probably Epic, with abnormally high Fortification saves and magical immunity to everything. I hope one of the spellcasters can silently cast Plane Shift .

Forrestfire
2015-04-09, 06:17 PM
Honestly?

I second this. I feel like the answer is likely some variation on "the atmosphere rushes to fill the new vacuum that formed", but I bet it's really fun.

Seclora
2015-04-09, 06:30 PM
Pff. That wouldn't make it into a singularity. Just a very tesselated universe of identical sub-components. Unless you also then gathered all the von neumann machines into one place.

According to my paladin's wyrmling cohort, destroying universes is easy. He destroyed the last one he was in by simply growing too big for it, shattering the old one and bringing this one into existence as a place that is temporarily large enough to contain his majesty.

Please tell me somebody had the Knowledge: Arcana to explain what an egg is to the poor dear.

Jack_Simth
2015-04-09, 09:38 PM
I second this. I feel like the answer is likely some variation on "the atmosphere rushes to fill the new vacuum that formed", but I bet it's really fun.
I'm not him, but essentially the atmosphere would propogate outward (and inwards towards what used to be the planet's core) at pretty much the speed of sound. As it did so, it'd get progressively thinner. There's a LOT of air on a planet, though, so you've probably got a few rounds before breathing is a problem.

General Sajaru
2015-04-09, 11:29 PM
It would also depend upon what else is in the Material Plane; if there are other planets, a greater teleport might be able to help you, although shifting planes to avoid the immediate issues (suffocating, freezing to death, explosive decompression, etc.) might be necessary.

chainer1216
2015-04-10, 12:02 AM
Dumb planet brought it on itself. Everyone knows what happens when you screw with Player-Characters

Can...can I sig this?

Inevitability
2015-04-10, 12:14 AM
It would also depend upon what else is in the Material Plane; if there are other planets, a greater teleport might be able to help you, although shifting planes to avoid the immediate issues (suffocating, freezing to death, explosive decompression, etc.) might be necessary.

The problem with Greater Teleport is that if you jump to a random planet, odds are its atmosphere is poisonous. Or nonexistent. Or it is a gas giant. Or it is a red-hot ball of rock. Or it is inhabited by mind flayers. Or it is another Genius Loci. Or...

Ravens_cry
2015-04-10, 12:20 AM
Please tell me somebody had the Knowledge: Arcana to explain what an egg is to the poor dear.

No, please do not. Such a Charisma deserves admiration.::smallbiggrin:

animewatcha
2015-04-10, 12:55 AM
Honestly?

I don't know who the what-if people are, but this kind of thing should be sent to customer service for WOTC and/or Paizo. See what their answer is.

The problem with Greater Teleport is that if you jump to a random planet, odds are its atmosphere is poisonous. Or nonexistent. Or it is a gas giant. Or it is a red-hot ball of rock. Or it is inhabited by mind flayers. Or it is another Genius Loci. Or...

*Genius Loci is about to attack*

Player: Did you not see what I did to your neighbor? * Intimidate check *

Bucky
2015-04-10, 01:22 AM
I'm not convinced that you entirely turned off gravity. Depending on how much stuff survived, and how much dust the planet left, you might end up with the whole mess collapsing into a smaller planet.

The bad news is you still probably lose most of your atmosphere to evaporation. And the infall releases enough energy to heat everything to its melting point. Assuming you survived the ~thousand meter fall to the new surface. And managed to remain at the surface instead of being buried under falling debris.

If you're lucky, the Genius Loci was only the planet's crust...

Seerow
2015-04-10, 01:38 AM
I don't know who the what-if people are, but this kind of thing should be sent to customer service for WOTC and/or Paizo. See what their answer is.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/

Basically people send him silly questions. Math happens, and we all find out how screwed we are and to what degree as a result of the hypothetical situation.

Describing the consequences of world-ending catastrophes is kind of his specialty. If you read back through the archives I'm sure at least 1/3rd of the questions result in all life on the planet ending for some reason or another. If you want a game answer, yeah don't bother. But if you want a fun answer talking about what happens when the planet you are standing on suddenly turns into a small bit of dust, there's nobody better.

Clistenes
2015-04-10, 04:30 AM

But, will the character even have the time to cast a spell? It will get slinged away with great force, the atmospheric pressure will change really fast, and even if it pass the Fortification save to avoid falling unconscious, won't be able to cast without air unless it has prepared a silent Plane Shift or silent Greater Teleport.

Bronk
2015-04-10, 05:02 AM
http://what-if.xkcd.com/

Basically people send him silly questions. Math happens, and we all find out how screwed we are and to what degree as a result of the hypothetical situation.

Describing the consequences of world-ending catastrophes is kind of his specialty. If you read back through the archives I'm sure at least 1/3rd of the questions result in all life on the planet ending for some reason or another. If you want a game answer, yeah don't bother. But if you want a fun answer talking about what happens when the planet you are standing on suddenly turns into a small bit of dust, there's nobody better.

I especially like 'The Earth is Rats Now' post.

If the DM uses the Spelljammer rules, and considering that most land masses were probably not made of Genius Loci, You could have an asteroid belt or even a planet shaped shell of floating earthbergs, all in the same spots, all with air, and all with one earth's gravity. Sort of like Coliar in Realmspace.

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-10, 05:55 AM
what should we do now?

With a box, are you Lord Frieza?

Killer Angel
2015-04-10, 06:04 AM

Ungrateful parasites! :smalltongue:

Maglubiyet
2015-04-10, 06:36 AM

It's a fantasy universe, anything is possible. Maybe there's no such thing as a poisonous atmosphere.

Shouldn't the singular be "Genius Locus"?

Ashtagon
2015-04-10, 06:39 AM
It's a fantasy universe, anything is possible. Maybe there's no such thing as a poisonous atmosphere.

Shouldn't the singular be "Genius Locus"?

Genius loci is the singular. The plural would be genii loci (or possibly genii locorum).

Loci is in the genitive (aka possessive) case. It translates as something along the lines of "the spirit of the place".

Inevitability
2015-04-10, 10:30 AM

I'd think that in a fantasy universe, anything is more likely to be poisoned. Seriously, look through the monster manual. It's like Australia on steroids.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-10, 12:12 PM
Genius loci is the singular. The plural would be genii loci (or possibly genii locorum).

Loci is in the genitive (aka possessive) case. It translates as something along the lines of "the spirit of the place".

Awesome, thanks! I had my English blinders on, where loci was the noun and genius the adjective.

I'd think that in a fantasy universe, anything is more likely to be poisoned. Seriously, look through the monster manual. It's like Australia on steroids.

I was thinking more along the lines of pulp scifi, where every planet has a breathable atmosphere and is in the comfort zone temperature-wise. Also, beautiful green jungle women.

Inevitability
2015-04-10, 01:10 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of pulp scifi, where every planet has a breathable atmosphere and is in the comfort zone temperature-wise. Also, beautiful green jungle women.

Who says the beautiful green jungle women aren't there? They just happen to be dependent on some substance that is toxic to humans. :smalltongue:

Segev
2015-04-10, 02:48 PM

No, please do not. Such a Charisma deserves admiration.::smallbiggrin:

His Charisma is actually pretty low, too. But his ego is massive, so he just disregards things like explanations that he hatched from an egg.

Despite being a prat, the party seems to like him. (Also, he's slowly being influenced to be a better person.)

Necromancy
2015-04-10, 04:23 PM
Couple issues here

#1 It's spelled disintegrate

#2 the air would not "rush to the center to fill the vacuum". The sudden loss of gravity would make the air violently dissipate in all directions, filling the void where the planet used to be as well as moving out into space. To visualize this, imagine your mini standing on a table, inside a 4' cube of water contained by walls of force. Then imagine what would happen if the walls disappear suddenly. Water would pull in all directions at the same time, but your mini would only likely be moved a short distance, maybe not even off the edge of the table.

#3 Your DM seriously overvalues the power of disintegrate. Just glancing at the spell, it can either destroy one "target", or a 10' cube of matter. As a DM I would rule that it automatically picks the smaller of those 2 options, no matter what you're aiming it at.

#4 A regular Genius Loci has nearly 2k hp. One that is the size of a planet that is large enough to have a measurable gravitational pull would have millions of HP

#5 Even if your Genius Loci were statted normally, if your party can handle a CR 30 creature then you shouldn't be having any problems retreating to safety.

Flickerdart
2015-04-10, 04:36 PM
#2 the air would not "rush to the center to fill the vacuum". The sudden loss of gravity would make the air violently dissipate in all directions, filling the void where the planet used to be as well as moving out into space. To visualize this, imagine your mini standing on a table, inside a 4' cube of water contained by walls of force. Then imagine what would happen if the walls disappear suddenly. Water would pull in all directions at the same time, but your mini would only likely be moved a short distance, maybe not even off the edge of the table.
Not only is the scale completely off, but this only has the water moving outwards...and a plastic mini dragged by 64 cubic feet of water is going to fly off the freakin' table.

Necromancy
2015-04-10, 04:44 PM
Not only is the scale completely off, but this only has the water moving outwards...and a plastic mini dragged by 64 cubic feet of water is going to fly off the freakin' table.

I meant to mention center of the table, the mini would be under massive downward force until most of the water was already gone, and friction would hold it in place....

yeah it's not important, the idea was just to give people a visual they could relate to since not everyone has experience dealing with vacuum. The air wouldn't have nearly the pull that water would, and it would be moving outward in all directions at varying speeds.

Zyzzyva
2015-04-10, 04:52 PM
I meant to mention center of the table, the mini would be under massive downward force until most of the water was already gone, and friction would hold it in place....

yeah it's not important, the idea was just to give people a visual they could relate to since not everyone has experience dealing with vacuum. The air wouldn't have nearly the pull that water would, and it would be moving outward in all directions at varying speeds.

But it wouldn't, is the whole thing. Sure, the net horizontal water movement is pretty close to zero. And there's probably a single specific position and set of incredibly precise starting parameters where the miniature could be placed such that it wouldn't move. But in practice the miniature is going flying, because the chaotic water motion is going to push it around and once it's not precisely balanced it's just a little chunk of lead in, as Flickerdart said, 64 freakin' cubic feet of water moving pretty fast.

Air has a lot of weight, the fact that you're used to it doesn't mean that the wind to end all winds this would produce isn't going to fling you - and everything else - around like a ragdoll.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-10, 04:57 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what the table is made of that can support nearly two tons of water!

Necromancy
2015-04-10, 05:41 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what the table is made of that can support nearly two tons of water!

Um.... metal?

Have you ever seen an aquarium?

Actually, have you ever seen an aquarium break? how much gravel remains when the water has all left?

But yeah I'm done with this thread, better things to do on a friday night that try to teach physics to strangers.

With a box
2015-04-10, 08:07 PM
after then....

The mithril grid activeted, and it is now filled with wall of force. the population of Earth is saved for few days.(spellcarft check on it)
and as you said, all deities are spam sending to me, and few of them already here.
I need to find some psion somehow "saved" before this..

and disintegrete was poor chiose of spell aganist it, due to its high fort save and massive HP.
why did I choose that?

Sith_Happens
2015-04-10, 08:40 PM
and disintegrete was poor chiose of spell aganist it, due to its high fort save and massive HP.
why did I choose that?

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0372/19/1420694325449.jpg
EDIT: Important question: Were the oceans part of the monster or just the solid stuff?

Frostthehero
2015-04-11, 01:49 AM
I'm just going to put this to bed real quick, and give you the physics specific answer. First of all, gravity turns off. Secondly, there is a lot of air on a planet. And by a lot, I mean 51 billion km^3 assuming an earth sized planet. This will take some time to move. In the first several rounds (I don't have an exact figure) the players will notice very little, except for the abrupt absence of gravity. Soon, air will begin rushing both towards and away from the planet, creating a vortex of death, in which items fly at thousands of km per hour. This all assumes that the players are mid atmosphere.

If the players were on the ground, they would immediately notice the air rushing towards where the planet used to be at near mach 21. Free expansion also generates intense heat. Oops.

Assuming the players survive the superheating and insane windspeeds, they face another problem. The vacuum. Eventually, that air dissipates. If the players are still unprotected in the void, they will die. the massive pressure differential violently rips the air out of their lungs. It would come screaming out of their anus if need be. Or their ears. The point is, if the players have not exalted the void by the time the atmosphere dissipates, they will die.

Inevitability
2015-04-11, 05:03 AM
#3 Your DM seriously overvalues the power of disintegrate. Just glancing at the spell, it can either destroy one "target", or a 10' cube of matter. As a DM I would rule that it automatically picks the smaller of those 2 options, no matter what you're aiming it at.

#4 A regular Genius Loci has nearly 2k hp. One that is the size of a planet that is large enough to have a measurable gravitational pull would have millions of HP

#3: Saying 'as a DM I would rule...' is not very constructive if you are not the DM here.

#4 Actually, Genius Loci have no advancement rules, so even one as big as the earth would only have 2000 HP.

However, assuming its constitution increases by 4 points for each effective size category it goes up (as seems to be the case considering the previous increases), it would gain 140 HP for each time it doubles in size. Providing a normal genius loci is a ball with a diameter of 64 feet, it would have to double in size about... 20 times. This translates to a Genius Loci as big as the earth (technically even a bit bigger than that) having 4585 HP. Millions? Not really.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-04-11, 07:01 AM
Can...can I sig this?

I would be honored

Also I love this topic and it's gonna be one of the ways I use to describe what was awesome about 3.5 to players that may be starting with 5th ed

Mr Adventurer
2015-04-11, 09:11 AM
You could also template the GI up - if it's a planet, seems like it's at least a Paragon of its kind.

Also, if I ever run that one Epic adventure seed "moon-sized parasites are eating the Sun!", then they're going to be Pseudonatural Genius Loci's. Just moon-sized balls of flaying tentacles.

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-04-11, 09:20 AM
what should we do now?

Nothing, this is not your fault. Your DM is the one who needs to fix this. He or She obviously pulled a Doofinshmertiz and did not think things though.

Hellborn_Blight
2015-04-11, 10:53 AM
How few Hit Points did this planet have? I mean, If we are talking about an entire planet here, then it should have like a Centillion HP. I find it hard to imagine dealing enough damage to destroy it with out dozens of nukes. So, some sort of epic disintegration 100 times maybe, but if your planet died to some melee attacks, a few blast spells and 240 damage, then you have been living on a balloon.

Maybe that was the DM's point story wise, because the only way you are able to kill the planet you are a part of is if the DM wants you to.

Necromancy
2015-04-11, 01:18 PM
Holy crap this is so idiotic that I barely know where to begin.

I'm just going to put this to bed real quick, and give you the physics specific answer. First of all, gravity turns off. Secondly, there is a lot of air on a planet. And by a lot, I mean 51 billion km^3 assuming an earth sized planet.

You sound awfully authoritave for starters. Posting wild conjecture and saying "this is how it is" is not going to sway people with an education past 5th grade

99% of this amount of atmosphere would have no bearing on the PCs at all. Earths atmosphere is about as thick as a layer of soap on a baseball. 7 miles of (meaningful) thickness vs 8000 miles of distance to the other side of the sphere. So let's visualize this more like you and the surrounding atmosphere and that's it.

This will take some time to move. In the first several rounds (I don't have an exact figure) the players will notice very little, except for the abrupt absence of gravity. Soon, air will begin rushing both towards and away from the planet, creating a vortex of death, in which items fly at thousands of km per hour. This all assumes that the players are mid atmosphere.

Yes the inertia would hold the air for a moment (one round at most). As there is no gravity, items would only be flying as fast as the air was pushing them. There would be no "vortex" to speak of, just direct expansion causing direct movement.

Holy mother of...... What? Mach 21? How in the world did you come up with this number?

Let's go back to 5th grade. The atmosphere in this problem does not contain relevant "kinetic energy". It contains "potential energy" in the forms of pressure (15psi at sea level, dropping quickly as you elevate), and temperature (btu content as a form of energy that drops even more quickly as you elevate)

Law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed, so how is that minuscule amount of potential energy going to suddenly expand and accelerate remaining atmosphere to 16,000 MPH?

Newsflash, vacuum contains no energy, not does to have pull. Vacuum is not a magnet that will accelerate something in any way. The air would push outward at its current psi and immediately begin slowing as energy is spent on both expansion and friction. How fast? No idea, don't feel like doing that much math. Ballpark I would say double digits.

Free expansion also generates intense heat. Oops.

Law of conservation. You can't magicaly create heat without an energy source. Where is this energy coming from?

In reality, the heat content of the air will be changed into more movement energy (at a slow rate). Thermal expansion dictates (simply) that heating the air would increase its volume. The inverse is also true, where increasing the volume of the air, would draw heat from it.

Oops

Assuming the players survive the superheating and insane windspeeds, they face another problem. The vacuum. Eventually, that air dissipates. If the players are still unprotected in the void, they will die. the massive pressure differential violently rips the air out of their lungs. It would come screaming out of their anus if need be. Or their ears. The point is, if the players have not exalted the void by the time the atmosphere dissipates, they will die.

Ok.... No

15psi is not a "massive pressure differential" It's completely possible to hold your breath in space.

What actually kills you is the water and the heat in your own body. Water boils at -90 degrees Fahrenheit in vacuum. Your body would be perfectly ok in cryo freeze, but as you are warm, your body heat would boil your own juices into steam

Necromancy
2015-04-11, 01:39 PM
#3: Saying 'as a DM I would rule...' is not very constructive if you are not the DM here.

#4 Actually, Genius Loci have no advancement rules, so even one as big as the earth would only have 2000 HP.

However, assuming its constitution increases by 4 points for each effective size category it goes up (as seems to be the case considering the previous increases), it would gain 140 HP for each time it doubles in size. Providing a normal genius loci is a ball with a diameter of 64 feet, it would have to double in size about... 20 times. This translates to a Genius Loci as big as the earth (technically even a bit bigger than that) having 4585 HP. Millions? Not really.

My DM decision may not be helpful but at least it's a measure of simple sense.

Saying a rule does not exist is also not helpful. A planet sized monster has under 5k hp? Makes sense to me!

If the size doubles (technically quadruples) every step, so should stats. That means hp, grapple checks, hide mods, str, con, and all the trimmings.

How does that look with your proposed 20 size increases? Let's find out

Colossal ++++++++++++++++++++Ooze
Hit Dice: 73,400,320d10+1,468,006,400 (1,871,708,160 hp)

Now that looks about correct for a planet.

Now I would give it AC -10 and DR of about... 5000?

Seems right to me. If the earth were alive, you would have to drill down for miles to do 1hp of damage.

The moral of this story? RAW, or lack thereof, does not trump using your brain

Zyzzyva
2015-04-11, 02:52 PM
Holy crap this is so idiotic that I barely know where to begin.

Calm down.

Law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed, so how is that minuscule amount of potential energy going to suddenly expand and accelerate remaining atmosphere to 16,000 MPH?

We just destroyed the Earth. Standing hard on the conservation of energy will not go well for you.

Necromancy
2015-04-11, 02:58 PM
We just destroyed the Earth. Standing hard on the conservation of energy will not go well for you.

Magic destroyed the earth, what happens afterwards is pure physics

dascarletm
2015-04-13, 02:02 PM

The atmosphere would disperse, since there is a vacuum in space as well. Lack of sufficient gravity means it would just dissipate in all directions.

Edit... ah this has been said.... several times... egg on my face for not reading all the way through

Segev
2015-04-13, 02:08 PM
While said atmospheric dispersion would happen, people are, I think, forgetting that air itself has mass, and thus weight. The air would have an initially-greater inward motion than outward, due to its own self-weight pulling it together combined with the same vacuum presence inside the now-hollow air-sphere as outside. It would be the single biggest thunderclap ever. And then the elastic forces and natural dispersions and some amount of momentum as air passes through itself would lead to that dispersion effect.

But to the PCs at the former surface? They'd feel wind shoving them "downwards" until they slammed into the wind coming from the other direction.

Ashtagon
2015-04-13, 02:26 PM
While said atmospheric dispersion would happen, people are, I think, forgetting that air itself has mass, and thus weight. The air would have an initially-greater inward motion than outward, due to its own self-weight pulling it together combined with the same vacuum presence inside the now-hollow air-sphere as outside. It would be the single biggest thunderclap ever. And then the elastic forces and natural dispersions and some amount of momentum as air passes through itself would lead to that dispersion effect.

But to the PCs at the former surface? They'd feel wind shoving them "downwards" until they slammed into the wind coming from the other direction.

Don't forget -- they'll be slamming into a planet's worth of everything else that was on the former surface once they've fallen to the centre of the former world.

dascarletm
2015-04-13, 02:32 PM
Don't forget -- they'll be slamming into a planet's worth of everything else that was on the former surface once they've fallen to the centre of the former world.

I'm unsure they would fall, if they keep their inertia, and nothing is pulling them downward they should actually fly apart. At least I would think so...

Sith_Happens
2015-04-13, 02:38 PM
Magic destroyed the earth, what happens afterwards is pure physics

On the bright side, the catgirls are probably all going to die anyways.

dascarletm
2015-04-13, 02:59 PM

The thing is, we have to have some sort of basis as to what is going to happen afterward. There are no game rules covering this, so modeling what happens off of the real world is the best that can be achieved in terms of 0 bias answers.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-13, 03:07 PM
The thing is, we have to have some sort of basis as to what is going to happen afterward. There are no game rules covering this, so modeling what happens off of the real world is the best that can be achieved in terms of 0 bias answers.

Hence the post you quoted. Either they die to our talking about what happens, or they die to what happens.:smallwink:

dascarletm
2015-04-13, 05:30 PM
Hence the post you quoted. Either they die to our talking about what happens, or they die to what happens.:smallwink:
poor cat girls... :smallfrown:
THEIR BLOOD WILL GO TO SATISFY THE DARK GODS!

With a box
2015-04-13, 05:37 PM

poor cat girls... :smallfrown:
THEIR BLOOD WILL GO TO SATISFY THE DARK GODS!

I don't get the catgirl jokes. can somebody explain it to me?:smallconfused:

Sith_Happens
2015-04-13, 05:38 PM
I don't get the catgirl jokes. can somebody explain it to me?:smallconfused:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060605112731/uncyclopedia/images/b/be/God_kills_catgirl.gif

Necromancy
2015-04-13, 06:28 PM

As I mentioned earlier, you have the wrong idea of the atmosphere's dimensional relations with the earth. The atmosphere is about 7 miles thick (technically a lot more, but it's so thin it isn't worth considering). The distance across the "now-hollow air-sphere" is 8000 miles. That's roughly three times the width of the United States from coast to coast.

Do you really think that plain old air, located that far away from you, will have any measurable gravitational pull on you? Do you think that the air from the other side of the planet is going to come crashing across that 8000 mile expanse and blast into you?

What would really happen? I have no idea of the specifics. Initially the air would dissipate a bit toward the vacuum, but at the same time, other things are going on. The air will be pulled towards the sun and the moon both, and the moon no longer has an orbit. I suspect the moon would be slung into the sun or maybe deep space depending on timing. the earth's remaining atmosphere and matter would all end up heading toward the sun.

The PC's would have breathable air for a while actually, as for how long? I couldn't really say.

Alcibiades
2015-04-13, 06:49 PM
Perhaps there is no loss of gravity. Turning something to dust doesn't necessarily mean conservation of mass doesn't apply. Like cremation, a lot of mass might be retained in smoke or gas.

General Sajaru
2015-04-13, 07:23 PM
I'm pretty sure disintegrate is one case where conservation of mass doesn't apply.

deuxhero
2015-04-13, 07:31 PM
Is there a Genius Loci but the epic version?

Honestly, if you're fighting one and "my contingency sends me (and possibly my allies) to my private demi-plane" isn't the result, I'm not sure how you reached (near) epic levels.

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 08:30 PM
If you're lucky, the Genius Loci was only the planet's crust...

Which, by Gurren Lagann logic, means it should be habitable in a year or two.

Bronk
2015-04-19, 07:30 PM
after then....

The mithril grid activeted, and it is now filled with wall of force. the population of Earth is saved for few days.(spellcarft check on it)
and as you said, all deities are spam sending to me, and few of them already here.
I need to find some psion somehow "saved" before this..

why did I choose that?

Aha! I was wondering if the mithril grid thing from your other post was related!

If it helps, it sounds like your spell choice was awesome and your DM has a great game going.