PDA

View Full Version : Path of War Mystic Archetype - Cordite Mystic

Ironsides
2015-04-09, 02:56 AM
Forward: I really like the gunslinger from and initiator classes from PoW and PoW:E. After watching Equilibrium I was inspired to make it happen in pathfinder. I realize that multiclassing a Gunslinger with a Mystic is very easy especially after the Practiced Initiator trait was put out but I want to take it one step further and make an archetype for it. Now I present to you the Cordite Mystic for your (dis)pleasure.

Cordite Mystic
There are some mystics that have become entranced by the sharp crack of gunfire and the smell of black powder. These cordite mystics seek to incorporate firearms into their fighting style and infuse their powers into their weapon.

Class Skills: Add Sleight of Hand (Dex) to list of class skills, remove Perform (Cha) from list of class skills. This alters the mystic’s class skills.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mystics are proficient with all firearms. They are proficient with light armor but not with shields except bucklers. This replaces the mystic’s standard weapon and armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: A mystic begins their career with knowledge of seven martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to you are Elemental Flux, Riven Hourglass, Shattered Mirror, Solar Wind, Tempest Gale and Veiled Moon. This alters the mystic’s known disciplines.

Gritty Animus: The cordite mystic is able to use their animus pool to power gunslinger deeds and is treated as a grit pool for the purpose of feats, spells, and other effects.

Gunsmith: At 1st level, a cordite mystic gains one of the following firearms of their choice: blunderbuss, musket, or pistol. Their starting weapon is battered, and only they knows how to use it properly. All other creatures treat the cordite mystic’s gun as if it had the broken condition. If the weapon already has the broken condition, it does not work at all for anyone else trying to use it. This starting weapon can only be sold for scrap (it’s worth 4d10 gp when sold). The cordite mystic also gains Gunsmithing as a bonus feat at the first level. This replaces martial craftsman.

Gun Meditation (Su): While the cordite mystic is regaining maneuvers by meditation they may also reload each firearm they are wielding. This changes blade meditation.

Gun-Fu (Su): At 1st level, the cordite mystic learns how to actively channel animus into their firearm to gain an advantage in combat. They gain the Quick-Clear Deed. At 2nd level, the cordite mystic can make a melee attack with the butt or handle of their firearm. When the mystic does, the cordite mystic is considered to be proficient with the firearm as a melee weapon and gains a bonus on the attack and damage rolls equal to the enhancement bonus of the firearm. The damage dealt by the firearm is of the bludgeoning type, and is determined by the size of the firearm. One-handed firearms deal 1d6 points of damage (1d4 if wielded by Small creatures) and two-handed firearms deal 1d10 points of damage (1d8 if wielded by Small creatures). Regardless of the gunslinger’s size, the critical multiplier of this attack is 20/×2. At 3th level, as long as the cordite mystic has 1 animus point, the mystic can reload any two-handed firearm as if it were a one-handed firearm. At 7th level, add your initiator modifier to damage rolls with your firearm. At 12th level, you gain the Lightning Reload Deed. 17th level, you may make one additional attack on a full attack action using your full base attack bonus. This replaces the bonus feats class feature.

Edit: I changed the bonus feats to give either combat or grit feats.
2nd Edit: I overhauled allot of stuff. I hope this works better. I used Aurora Fist's Mystic Combat as a template for what I wanted to do and added a 2nd level ability to that. I used the bonus feats as archetype fodder.

To do list:
Change the Animus class feature so that you can qualify for grit feats. I'll call it... Gritty Animus.
Look at deeds and make some.
Change the deeds and glyph class feature.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-09, 08:50 AM
This feels weak: basically nothing you gain is worth what you trade out. Four deeds as you level in replacement for the central Glyphs feature of the class, and a single bonus feat that you can use to gain a deed replacing 4 bonus feats? That's

Here's what I would recommend:

Reduce Glyphs known to give Deeds. For example, give a single deed at 1st level in replacement for a glyph; starting at 3rd let them take the other 1st level deeds replacing Glyphs, at 5th let them take 3rd level deeds, at 9th - 7th, etc. There are 15 Deeds they can gain this way, meaning to get the whole collection they'll need to make some serious concessions to their Glyph feature.
The modified deed list could be better worded.
Bonus Feats... I have a feeling you didn't mean to remove the other three feats entirely. Don't mention the levels they gain their bonus feats if that wasn't intended. In conjunction with this, let them take Combat feats and Grit Feats instead of additional deeds, ignoring the requirement for the grit class feature.

If you want to completely replace Glyphs, you should make a custom list of deeds. It'll probably end up better thematically aligned anyways.

Interestingly, the way it's all worded you can take Amateur Gunslinger and gain a pool of grit to use on top of the Animus. I'm not sure if this is something that needs to be fixed, but it is something interesting to note.

Ironsides
2015-04-09, 05:55 PM
This feels weak: basically nothing you gain is worth what you trade out. Four deeds as you level in replacement for the central Glyphs feature of the class, and a single bonus feat that you can use to gain a deed replacing 4 bonus feats? That's

Here's what I would recommend:

Reduce Glyphs known to give Deeds. For example, give a single deed at 1st level in replacement for a glyph; starting at 3rd let them take the other 1st level deeds replacing Glyphs, at 5th let them take 3rd level deeds, at 9th - 7th, etc. There are 15 Deeds they can gain this way, meaning to get the whole collection they'll need to make some serious concessions to their Glyph feature.
Bonus Feats... I have a feeling you didn't mean to remove the other three feats entirely. Don't mention the levels they gain their bonus feats if that wasn't intended. In conjunction with this, let them take Combat feats and Grit Feats instead of additional deeds, ignoring the requirement for the grit class feature.

If you want to completely replace Glyphs, you should make a custom list of deeds. It'll probably end up better thematically aligned anyways.

Interestingly, the way it's all worded you can take Amateur Gunslinger and gain a pool of grit to use on top of the Animus. I'm not sure if this is something that needs to be fixed, but it is something interesting to note.

Thanks for the recommendations Ilorin Lorati! I will try to address each recommendation.

I like either doing away with deeds or glyphs not having a mix of both. The issue is that most deeds are... not very good while glyphs have a nice mix of good and okay features. Either I could write up some new deeds or I could write up some new glyphs. I think I like the idea of maybe keeping glyphes but their advancement is skipped on the 1st, 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 19th level. This matches when the gunslinger gets their deeds. I can think of 2-3 more interesting deeds that an initiator would appreciate but that will take me some time to work it up.

Could you be more specific? I assume you mean the gun-fu deed. I'll look it over again and see if I can make it more clearly understood.

Nice catch! I totally overlooked that issue. Now it'll be usable for combat or grit feats.

If you have suggestions for better names for things I would appreciate it. I am terrible at naming stuff and I consider alot of these names to be place holder names.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-09, 06:25 PM
That's the thing - There's only a handful of deeds that are worth the paper they're printed on; replacing the whole glyph feature deeds as written in your description is just a waste since it's basically trading a very strong support feature for a mediocre badassery one (Remember, Gunslinger knows all its deeds but this archy doesn't RAW), even if you added two somewhat-useful ones to the list. You're better off just building a list of custom deeds from scratch, your two modified ones and some of the old ones that work with some new magic-focused ones that speak to Mystic as a highly supernatural class.

Could you be more specific? I assume you mean the gun-fu deed. I'll look it over again and see if I can make it more clearly understood.

Nah, it wasn't that. The way those two deeds replace other ones, but are still being chosen from a list can be cleaned up. The wording works for the classes that get their whole deed list, but it's just awkward when you choose your options. It'll be better to just say "You cannot take such and such, instead gaining the ability to choose such and such as one of your deeds." I'm low on sleep so that may not make sense, however.

Ironsides
2015-04-09, 09:16 PM
That's the thing - There's only a handful of deeds that are worth the paper they're printed on; replacing the whole glyph feature deeds as written in your description is just a waste since it's basically trading a very strong support feature for a mediocre badassery one (Remember, Gunslinger knows all its deeds but this archy doesn't RAW), even if you added two somewhat-useful ones to the list. You're better off just building a list of custom deeds from scratch, your two modified ones and some of the old ones that work with some new magic-focused ones that speak to Mystic as a highly supernatural class.

Nah, it wasn't that. The way those two deeds replace other ones, but are still being chosen from a list can be cleaned up. The wording works for the classes that get their whole deed list, but it's just awkward when you choose your options. It'll be better to just say "You cannot take such and such, instead gaining the ability to choose such and such as one of your deeds." I'm low on sleep so that may not make sense, however.

Thanks again Ilorin Lorati. I went over everything and decided to use Aurora Fist's Mystic Combat as a template to give me what I wanted. I hope that this isn't too overpowered and makes the class cool.

Edit: I basically used the bonus feats to give me the deeds I wanted.

Quick Clear Deed because it seems necessary for firearm builds and hurts to do without it.
Pistol-Whip Deed because sometimes you want to smack someone with your gun when you can't shoot them.
Fast Musket Deed because this enables two-handed firearm strategies.
Focused Aim Deed from the Mysterious Stranger archetype seems cool. Wis mod to damage is a big help.
The extra attacks are there because Aurora Fist had them and I had no idea what to put in their place. Maybe other deeds?