PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Dread Blossom Swarm issue

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-09, 12:24 PM
So an interesting question came up today. The Dread blossom swarm combo makes you immune to single target spells and effects as you count as a swarm.
If you have your spells scribed to your skin magically so you dont need a spellbook, what would happen if you where the target of spells such as Erase?

Erase says you need to touch the magic writing to erase it. While you dont count as a single target, the idea that the spells are objects on you may apply.

Is there any Raw or other rules on how to deal with this situation?

Necroticplague
2015-04-09, 01:53 PM
Depends on exactly what rules you did the writing with. The ones I remember still make you need a spellbook, and the tattoos are just a backup spellbook. And being targeted by erase would remove one of the tattoos. Can I get a reference to the rules you're using, so I can look at the RAW?

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-09, 02:52 PM
Depends on exactly what rules you did the writing with. The ones I remember still make you need a spellbook, and the tattoos are just a backup spellbook. And being targeted by erase would remove one of the tattoos. Can I get a reference to the rules you're using, so I can look at the RAW?

I am using the same rules for the spellbook as the spell hoarding psychosis from dragon 313 if that helps

The dead blossom swarm is basically the swarm traits from the savage species Symbiote creature template.

Necroticplague
2015-04-09, 07:17 PM
I am using the same rules for the spellbook as the spell hoarding psychosis from dragon 313 if that helps

The dead blossom swarm is basically the swarm traits from the savage species Symbiote creature template.

I figured that's how you got to be Dread Blossom, only way I've ever seen it refferenced.

Anyway, on to the main question: Erase does nothing, even if you weren't a swarm (o.k, even if you didn't have swarm traits, if you want to be pedantic). While the spellhoard may share many similarities with both spellbooks and scrolls, it is not either of them. It is a supernatural ability. It is not a valid target for Erase (as it is neither a scroll, nor is it any type of page).

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-09, 11:46 PM
I figured that's how you got to be Dread Blossom, only way I've ever seen it refferenced.

Anyway, on to the main question: Erase does nothing, even if you weren't a swarm (o.k, even if you didn't have swarm traits, if you want to be pedantic). While the spellhoard may share many similarities with both spellbooks and scrolls, it is not either of them. It is a supernatural ability. It is not a valid target for Erase (as it is neither a scroll, nor is it any type of page).

Well then allow me to elevate the question to the next inevitable - If it is classed as an <su>, then there may be methods to suppress or even counter this ability since its not <ex>

If you where a GM that was running this kinda game, what methods would you use to counter and why?
Im trying to work out the kinks so things like this dont stop game play ya know :)