PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pathfinder: Weaponwand and Whip exploits?

RussianRoulette
2015-04-09, 03:21 PM
​I'm creating a Bard with the archaeologist archetype for an upcoming campaign.

He's never going to be great with damage output, but I did have the idea of combining the 'weaponwand spell" with a whip for some flavor and perhaps battlefield control. I'm having some trouble understanding the mechanics of this though.

I'm starting out with a level 3 kitsune. He has Weapon Finesse as a first level feat and 3 ranks in UMD. This will help him hit with the whip and activate the wand.

Are there any possible useful combinations I can make out of this theoretical setup that can help buff my party? Especially given that the whip is a reach weapon I figured that touch spell wands might become a little more interesting. Also wands of cure light wounds or infernal healing could be "whipped" around to heal the party in combat from 15 feet away.

Are there any feats that can allow me to cast normal bard spells AND use my theoretical wand whip in a single round of combat?

This is more of brainstorming session for those who understand the fine points of the rules...my knowledge is still pretty basic and I feel like that's limiting me here.

Thanks for baring with me all! I'm a little new to pathfinder...

Here is my character sheet for anyone who is interested: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=125262

Geddy2112
2015-04-09, 04:32 PM
Cure light wounds is a clear winner for this. Blur, invisibility, and freedom of movement are all class spells that require touching and great party buffs. Since your UMD is pretty high, pick up shocking grasp or inflict wounds wands for damage. Witches and druids have some decent touch debuffs if you wanna go that route. Keep boosting your UMD at every level to keep the wand oomph up.

Taking a rank in magus would allow you to use spell combat, which would let you cast with your off hand and attack with your weapon(which weapon wand would turn into casting a second spell). The magus is an INT based caster, but can cast in light armor so you would use magus spells for buffs or support and not things with saves. You could also use the arcane pool to buff the whip and increase the chance of sticking the wandstrike. Magus has shocking grasp, the bull's strength and other enhancement boosters, fly, and vampiric touch on your list so you don't need UMD. You could also use a wand of dimensional door, and the whip to touch a willing ally and bail them from a grapple.