PDA

View Full Version : Original System RPG Design Question

Kaiser Omnik
2015-04-09, 07:08 PM
Hello Playgrounders!

I am currently working on the design of a new rpg system based on relationships of all kinds (affiliation, alliance, rivalry, etc.). In this system, relationships have a qualitative description but also a value that goes up as you invest more into them. They're a big part of character creation as well as character advancement. My question is this: as rpg players, how do you feel that would be better represented? Would it be a good idea to have every player in the group using the same big relationship map so that everyone can get a sense of setting and the important ties and conflicts that drive the narrative (with mechanical benefits of relationships noted on each character's sheet where applicable)? Or do you feel like players would prefer drawing their own small relationship map on their character sheet to highlight what's most important to their character? The first option seems like it could also enable collective worldbuilding by letting each player add a new setting element from his or her character's background to the game (round-robin style). However, for the mechanical side of things, option #2 may be simpler since it would serve as a personal "advancement tree" kind of thing.

I hope my question is clear, as English is not my first language and the system I'm creating is still a bit abstract...

DedWards
2015-04-10, 01:42 AM
Option 2 sounds easier to manage (from a player point of view). I'm actually interested to see where you go with this. I may use it as reference for what I'm working on.

steelsmiter
2015-04-12, 12:32 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

I am currently working on the design of a new rpg system based on relationships of all kinds (affiliation, alliance, rivalry, etc.). In this system, relationships have a qualitative description but also a value that goes up as you invest more into them. They're a big part of character creation as well as character advancement.
Awesome, i wanted to do something like this for a Persona based BESM game. At least the point values. They unlocked certain Attributes specially designed for the game.

My question is this: as rpg players, how do you feel that would be better represented? Would it be a good idea to have every player in the group using the same big relationship map so that everyone can get a sense of setting and the important ties and conflicts that drive the narrative (with mechanical benefits of relationships noted on each character's sheet where applicable)? Or do you feel like players would prefer drawing their own small relationship map on their character sheet to highlight what's most important to their character?
I'm not really sure drawing any sort of literal map for this is necessary, especially if the player knows how many points they have in a particular relationship. Having players keep track of what others have seems like too much work, and drawing a map in addition to the things written on their character sheet seems like overdoing it.

The first option seems like it could also enable collective worldbuilding by letting each player add a new setting element from his or her character's background to the game (round-robin style). However, for the mechanical side of things, option #2 may be simpler since it would serve as a personal "advancement tree" kind of thing.
That's a fair point. I guess the answer would be whether you/the players want collaborative world building to take place before the game. Either approach unfortunately has equal merits in my opinion. I now realize that you weren't talking as much about drawing a literal map as you were about whether or not character creation looks like FATE Core. I think something like a Harem Comedy would go well in Fate Core.