PDA

View Full Version : A quick question.

Penguinizer
2007-04-14, 05:28 AM
Would a monk wearing a helmet (steel or other metal) suffer from penalties from wearing armor.

Falconsflight
2007-04-14, 05:29 AM
First of all, why would he be wearing a helmet. Secondly: Dm's discretion. Generally I would say No.

Penguinizer
2007-04-14, 05:33 AM
A humorous character concept. A mentally challenged monk who jumps into battle and attempts to headbutt the opponents. Or something like that.

kamikasei
2007-04-14, 06:40 AM
Helmets are only ever a part of other armors: they have no value as armor on their own. Therefore, wearing one without the rest of the armor shouldn't count as wearing armor: it's purely cosmetic. Headbutting someone is an unarmed strike, so if you wanted to make it more than a cosmetic matter, treat it as a gauntlet for the head.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-14, 07:18 AM
...Which leads to the "Does a gauntlet still let you flurry" debate.

Even the FAQ is confused on that one. :amused:

Penguinizer
2007-04-14, 07:34 AM
Heh, Ill try to stat him out sometime. Some feats that are required are leap attack atleast. Maybe some bard so he can sing after he defeats them.

Kyace
2007-04-14, 11:39 AM
A humorous character concept. A mentally challenged monk who jumps into battle and attempts to headbutt the opponents. Or something like that.
Give him improved bullrush and you've basically got the waterboy, no?

Penguinizer
2007-04-14, 01:37 PM
I was thinking more like the guy from the end of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ8MVNUie6c&NR=1) video.

But the improved bullrush is a must.

The fierce battle cry of "You just got pwned by Steelah!" will shriek across the battlefields. And he actually attempts to bullrush enemies into walls. Changed that part.

DraPrime
2007-04-14, 04:05 PM
I think it's against the general monk doctrine of "NO ARMOR." It's simply against the philosophy of the monks.

JaronK
2007-04-14, 04:41 PM
I think the question is if a helm of brilliance or similar makes monks lose their armour bonus, and no, it does not. Remember that you can get magic items that are identical but with a different description... you could have a headband of brilliance if you really wanted.

JaronK

the_tick_rules
2007-04-14, 04:56 PM
yeah, magical helms would work. I'd say since a helm by itself stat wise counts for absolutely nothing why wouldn't you let a monk wear it.