PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fullmetal Alchemist Homebrew Class

Captain Morgan
2015-04-09, 10:17 PM
Hey everyone! So I was trying to build Edward Elric using the existing Pathfinder classes, and nothing quite fit. Wizards have most of the spells, but lack the martial skill. 3/4 BAB casters tend to lack the spells. Closest I got was an Oracle using the 3rd party Clockwork Mystery. So I'm homebrewing my own class! Right now I haven't exactly come up with a full class progression, but I got some abilities worked out. I'm hoping to come up with some more, perhaps some adrenaline powers to increase the barbarian rage similarities. Not sure what other features, if any, he should get. Maybe some bonus feats?

I'm also not certain what sort of feat loadout to use to complete the Elric thing. I was examining the Dex to damage route but it doesn't synergize as well with Adrenaline as written and while it would work for a transmuted arm blade, wouldn't work for fists or two handed weapons like a spear.

Anyway, the class write up!

Philosophers are scholars, and often adventurers. They train their bodies to be sharp and balanced like their minds, and many are respectable martial combatants. The real talent of the Philosopher, however, lies in their knowledge of the chemical and physical properties of matter and their ability to transmute it into other forms. This has many similarities to the magic used by a wizard, but it has several distinct differences. The most notable of which is the Philosopher cannot create or destroy matter, or summon it from other planes of existence. He may only manipulate the matter existing around him. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. This is the Law of Equivalent Exchange. To the Philosopher, this principle defines existence.

Role: Philosophers who become adventurers usually hone their alchemy in order to achieve some sort of viable combat style. For many, they learn how to reshape the battle field around them to limit the options of their enemies.

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.
Starting Wealth: 3d6 × 10 gp (average 105 gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

Class Skills
The Chemist’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Dex),Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha),Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Survival,(WIS) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Ranks per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

BAB: 3/4
Reflex: Good
Fort: Bad
Will: Good
Power Points: As a Marksman (Full BAB psionic class)

Class Features
The following are the class features of the philosopher.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Chemists are proficient with simple weapons, plus an alchemical foci of their choice. If the foci isn’t a weapon, than they gain proficiency in a martial weapon of their choice. They are proficient in light and medium armors, but not shields.

Alchemic Research (Ex)
A Philosopher adds half his class level (minimum 1) to all Craft skill checks and may make all Craft skill checks untrained.

Alchemy (Su)
Philosophers are highly trained in the creation of mundane alchemical substances and magical potion-like extracts.

When using Craft (alchemy) to create an alchemical item, an investigator gains a competence bonus equal to his class level on the skill check. In addition, by holding a magical item he can identify its properties as if using detect magic, by feeling its molecular properties.

Transmutation (Su)
A philosopher is capable of transforming the matter around him into other shapes and forms. By applying his alchemic focus to something (usually through the use of a specifically crafted transmutation circle, but sometimes through forming a circle via their body) a philosopher can gain understanding of its composition, deconstruct it, and rebuild it in another form. The philosopher must use compounds of similar nature to what he is trying to build. For example, he could form a metallic sword from a piece of loose steel, or by harnessing mineral in rock, but not from plant or animal matter. And an equivalent amount of mass must be converted in order to build something.

In order to transmute matter, a philosopher must first understand it. Doing so requires a successful knowledge check on the part of the philosopher. Naturally occurring substances, such as stone, plants, or animals use Knowledge (Nature.) Manufactured substances require Knowledge (Engineering.) Mystical objects and creatures require (Knowledge Arcana). Multiple checks may be required at a GM’s discretion.

A philosopher can probe material with alchemy to assist in this process. This can be performed as a swift action with a -5 penalty to the check, or as a full round action with no penalty to the check. Once an alchemist has made a successful knowledge check, they can transmute the matter for a variety of effects.

A basic transmutation costs 1 power point. It can affect 10 cubic feet of matter. You can spend additional power points to affect an additional 10 cubic feet, up to your philosopher level. An Alchemist receives power points as though he were a full BAB psionic class, and gets bonus power points for having a high INT mod in the same manner.

If the philosopher tries to build something other than simple, solid shapes, he must make an appropriate Craft check. If the alchemist is merely trying to repair something broken, the DC of the craft check is cut in half. If something is especially complex, it doubles the power point cost of the transmutation. (The total power point cost of a transmutation can’t exceed your philosopher level.)

Examples of common transmutations include, but aren’t limited to, the list below. Unless otherwise specified, transmutations take a standard action to complete, even where a magic spell of a similar nature would take longer. DCs for transmutations are equal to 10+Power Points Expended+The Alchemists INT modifier.

Build a blade (Su): You can create a melee simple or martial weapon out of normal ground. This weapon is appropriate for your size and entirely made of the material on hand(even if it would normally include non-metal parts, such as a spear’s shaft) but functions as if it were a normal weapon of its type. At 3rd level, the blade is equivalent to cold iron for the purposes of damage reduction. At 7th level, 15th level, and 19th level, the blade gains a +1 enhancement bonus. At 11th level, the blade is made of adamantine for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction.

Stone Shape: As the spell, but not limited to stone, provided the Philosopher succeeds on his knowledge check to determine materials.

Fabricate, Minor/Major Creation: Similar to the wizard spells, but following the rules outlined above for transmutations.

Create Pit: As the spell, but not extradimensional. Costs 1 points. An additional 2 points can be spent to upgrade the effect to spiked pit, and add +2 to the DC. So if this power is not extra dimensional, the matter goes somewhere. Which is fine. Choice of compacting the material around to form the pit or removing it from its place.

Obsidian flow: As the spell. Costs 4 points.

Stone Shield: As the spell. Costs 1 point, immediate action.

Make Whole: As the spell. 1 point.

Dust Cloud: 1 Point, Lasts 3 rounds, as Flog Cloud

Stone Call: As the spell. 2 points.

Tremor Blast: As the spell. 3 points. Can be used as a 30 foot cone or 60 foot line. Causes the area effected to become difficult terrain.

Stone Strike: This ability costs 2 points and is mechanically identical to the spell Stone Discus, except it uses pillars erupting from the ground to attack, which either take the form of fists (bludgeoning) or spikes (piercing.)

Transmutation Circle (Ex)
If a philosopher takes the time to draw out a transmutation circle (a full round action) he gains a +3 bonus on all checks related to the transmutation. The circle takes 1 more round to draw for each size category above medium.

Iron in the blood (Su)
If an alchemist uses his own blood to make a transmutation circle on something containing metal alloys, it gives him an additional +3 on related checks. This also allows him a chance to perform more taboo forms of alchemy, such as the binding of human souls to physical objects. This task in particular may be better performed using the blood of the soul in question.

Alchemist Versatility (Ex)
Any melee weapon an alchemist transmutes himself is subject to any combat feats for melee weapons the alchemist possesses.

Adrenaline Rush(Ex)
A Philosopher can call upon inner reserves of strength and speed, granting him additional combat prowess. Starting at 1st level, a Philosopher may tap into this reserve for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + his Strength modifier. At each level after 1st, she can rage for 2 additional rounds. Temporary increases to Strength, such as those gained from rage and spells like bull’s strength do not increase the total number of rounds that a philosopher may benefit from the adrenaline rush. A philosopher can use adrenaline rush as a free action. The total number of rounds of adrenaline rush per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive.
While in Adrenaline Rush, a philosopher gains a +4 morale bonus to his Strength and Dexterity, as well as a +10 bonus to his speed. In addition, he takes a -2 penalty to Will saves. The increase to Dexterity while in rage also increases AC, unless it conflicts with the Philosopher’s max Dexterity for the armor he is wearing. While using Adrenaline Rush, a Philosopher takes a penalty to any Charisma-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Intimidate) or any ability that requires patience or concentration in the amount of -4. The DC of the spells the Philosopher uses during his adrenaline rush also receive a penalty of -2.
A Philosopher can end his Adrenaline Rush as a free action and is fatigued after the adrenaline rush for a number of rounds equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in the adrenaline rush. A Philosopher cannot tap into his adrenaline reserves while fatigued or exhausted but can otherwise enter an adrenaline rush multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a philosopher falls unconscious, his adrenaline rush immediately ends, placing him in peril of death.

JennTora
2015-04-10, 06:01 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but fullmetal alchemist has been homebrewed to death.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189722-Pathfinder-Fullmetal-Alchemist-Base-Class

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275450-Fullmetal-Alchemist-%28COMPLETE-I-think%29-PEACH-Please

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?227828-Fullmetal-Alchemist-The-System-3-5ish

Of course you can still try to make it if you don't like any of those.

Thealtruistorc
2015-04-11, 09:39 AM
This is a good start, and I can see this class going somewhere if expanded upon. The power points are an interesting system for alchemy, and the adrenaline rush is interesting (though I question why you can't perform alchemy while using it. Kinda defeats the purpose). Expand upon this, maybe add a system of talents (scar's flesh alchemy comes to mind), and this could go far.

Captain Morgan
2015-04-11, 11:38 PM
For the other systems: I had seen some of them, but all of them. Didn't like most of them, but I did find a link to something o name wizard site that actually looks pretty solid for 3.5. I need a class for pathfinder specifically though to introduce into a home game, so adjustments would need to be made. So thanks for posting them!

This is a good start, and I can see this class going somewhere if expanded upon. The power points are an interesting system for alchemy, and the adrenaline rush is interesting (though I question why you can't perform alchemy while using it. Kinda defeats the purpose). Expand upon this, maybe add a system of talents (scar's flesh alchemy comes to mind), and this could go far.

Glad you like it so far. Talents were a thing I had in mind, and perhaps some adrenaline powers. You can use alchemy while in an adrenaline rush; you just take a penalty on knowledge and craft checks. Simple transmutations with mundane materials shouldn't be impeded there. Adrenaline was mostly added because almost every 3/4 BAB class has a way to buff themselves and many of the alchemists are respectable martial combatants. You could just just give full BAB instead if you are feeling lazy.