PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Master of The Shadow... (please HELP)

Loki Eremes
2015-04-10, 06:50 AM
Hello there PlayGrounders!! Long time no see....

Well....As the title states, this has to do with Shadowcasting and the Master of Shadow. Love the prestige flavour.

The problem comes when its been a looong while since i last played D&D so i need some help with this (for me) new material: The Tome of Magic.

As i said earlier i love the prestige flavour but apart from giving me a Shadow elemental as a companion, its a bit weak, specially at early lvls.
I mean. Ill always cast a Mystery rather than give him a bidding as a standard action. So i was thinking...
How can a i make this fella stronger in combat???
My DM allowed the retrain of the 2 feats it comes with. but only Ghostly Grasp (libris mortis) comes to my mind.
I also know i can buy stuff for him... but im entering this campaing lvl 8. Not a lot of gold. (i think it will be ending at lvl 15...but not sure tough...)

So my main questions are:
1- Which feats do you think would work great on the Elemental??? (or on my character that would affect him)
2- Which items?

and one more...
3- When it becomes LARGE at 3rd lvl... its changes to the Large Elemental from the table right?
[I mean...because getting large only weakens it more:
+2 STR (which it doesnt have)
-2 DEX, -1 AR & AC
The only good perk is the reach increment...]

Well...those are my questions...summing up, i want this bud to use its full potential, not only be a "touch mysteries delivering machine" :smallfrown:

WeaselGuy
2015-04-10, 08:22 AM
inb4 gorfnab...

This handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?268661-3-5-Pulvis-Et-Umbra-Sumus-The-Shadowcaster-Handbook) should have pretty much everything you need to know in it about Shadowcasters, and includes a link to gorfnab's handbook (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,817.msg15323.html) as well, which really helped me out when I made mine.

Loki Eremes
2015-04-10, 08:37 AM
inb4 gorfnab...

This handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?268661-3-5-Pulvis-Et-Umbra-Sumus-The-Shadowcaster-Handbook) should have pretty much everything you need to know in it about Shadowcasters, and includes a link to gorfnab's handbook (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,817.msg15323.html) as well, which really helped me out when I made mine.

Ummm sry but i ve already read those.
and none of them help me with my problem, or questions.
Excuse me....but this happens when someone doesnt read the entire post i think.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-10, 08:51 AM
Hello there PlayGrounders!! Long time no see....

Well....As the title states, this has to do with Shadowcasting and the Master of Shadow. Love the prestige flavour.

The problem comes when its been a looong while since i last played D&D so i need some help with this (for me) new material: The Tome of Magic.

As i said earlier i love the prestige flavour but apart from giving me a Shadow elemental as a companion, its a bit weak, specially at early lvls.
I mean. Ill always cast a Mystery rather than give him a bidding as a standard action. So i was thinking...
How can a i make this fella stronger in combat???
My DM allowed the retrain of the 2 feats it comes with. but only Ghostly Grasp (libris mortis) comes to my mind.
I also know i can buy stuff for him... but im entering this campaing lvl 8. Not a lot of gold. (i think it will be ending at lvl 15...but not sure tough...)

So my main questions are:
1- Which feats do you think would work great on the Elemental??? (or on my character that would affect him)
2- Which items?

and one more...
3- When it becomes LARGE at 3rd lvl... its changes to the Large Elemental from the table right?
[I mean...because getting large only weakens it more:
+2 STR (which it doesnt have)
-2 DEX, -1 AR & AC
The only good perk is the reach increment...]

Well...those are my questions...summing up, i want this bud to use its full potential, not only be a "touch mysteries delivering machine" :smallfrown:

Ummm sry but i ve already read those.
and none of them help me with my problem, or questions.
Excuse me....but this happens when someone doesnt read the entire post i think.

With all due respect, I did read the entire post (and in fact, implying or stating that I didn't is an infraction against the Rules of Posting). You asked for help with regards to feats and items for yourself, as well as feats for your shadow elemental. Next time, you ask for help, it may help to say if you've already read any handbooks, if for no other reason than to prevent someone wasting their time showing you something you've already seen. With that said, there actually are a few pertinent items from those handbooks that may help you. My apologies for not directly copying material from a handbook onto here, but here's the section on items from gorfnab:

Gear

Equipping a Shadowcaster is similar to equipping a Beguiler. You're not exactly a Rogue but you're not a Wizard either, though you can function like both at times. You'll want light armor like a Mithral Chain Shirt and Mithral Buckler (Twilight for the shirt if you did not go with Still Mystery), a ranged weapon like a light crossbow, a decent melee weapon like a morningstar or longspear, and a score of daggers. You'll also want to pick up a Handy Haversack as soon as possible since chances are your Str score sucks.

Shadowcasters can create potions, scrolls, staffs, and wands of mysteries. Costs to create/purchase are the same as the normal arcane/divine counterparts. Load up on extras of your most used mysteries.

Metashadow Rods are basically metamagic rods. They can be used 3 times per day. Lesser rods work with fundamentals and apprentice mysteries, normal with initiate mysteries, and greater with master mysteries. Extend and Quicken are probably the most useful. Reach can also work nicely with specific mysteries such as Umbral Touch.

Orbs of Shadow are basically the Shadowcaster equivalent of Pearls of Power (the cost is even the same). Buying a few of these is never a bad option.

Collars of Umbral Metamorphosis not only work well for Rogues but also work nicely on Shadowcasters since some mysteries are very useful in aiding attempts to Hide. Buy the always on one when you can afford it, unless you already have the Dark Creature Template through "buy off".

Shadow Maniples (MIC page 133) can give Shadowcasters some minor healing. Healing Belts (MIC page 110) will give you even more healing.

Umbral Awn (ToB page 141) is not a bad option if Weapons of Legacy are available. And actually two levels of Swordsage is a decent dip for Shadowcasters if taken at the right levels (Assassins Stance and Shadow Jaunt).

Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC page 122) is quite nifty for Shadowcasters considering how many ways you can put your opponents in situations where they would have to use their Darkvision. Also nice when combined with the Darkstalker feat.
And from Piggy Knowles' handbook is the following about Master of Shadow:

Master of Shadow: Another 9/10 mystery advancement class. Your Shadow Familiar instead turns into a shadow elemental. This elemental advances with level, eventually gaining 9 bonus HD, and you also can grant it additional abilities for a time, such as fast healing, extra reach, and more attacks. Having an incorporeal buddy to bring around with you is actually pretty handy, and the bonus HD means that you can select feats for your shadow servant as well. (I highly recommend Darkstalker.)
As far as other feats for your elemental, you can't go wrong with Martial Study and other initiator feats from ToB.

Loki Eremes
2015-04-10, 09:19 AM
With all due respect, I did read the entire post (and in fact, implying or stating that I didn't is an infraction against the Rules of Posting). You asked for help with regards to feats and items for yourself, as well as feats for your shadow elemental. Next time, you ask for help, it may help to say if you've already read any handbooks, if for no other reason than to prevent someone wasting their time showing you something you've already seen. With that said, there actually are a few pertinent items from those handbooks that may help you. My apologies for not directly copying material from a handbook onto here, but here's the section on items from gorfnab:

And from Piggy Knowles' handbook is the following about Master of Shadow:

As far as other feats for your elemental, you can't go wrong with Martial Study and other initiator feats from ToB.

No problem.
I forgot i asked for items, long day, sorry.

My main problem comes from questions "1-" and "3-"
And about ToB things: My DM dont want them (he just told me)

WeaselGuy
2015-04-10, 09:23 AM
Well, I'm still at work for the moment, and AFB, so without actually looking at the Shadow Elemental, I can't really answer anything to specific. I will go ahead and say that you can't go wrong with Darkstalker on him. Maybe Improved Natural Attack, to up his damage? I don't really know what all it does, so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Loki Eremes
2015-04-10, 09:40 AM
a Shadow Elemental is basically an Incorporeal elemental, thats why i choose Ghostly Grasp as 1 of his feats. (avoid 50% miss chance for being incorporeal)
It can cast the Dusk & Dawn mystery and it has a 2 slam attack of 1d6+1d6 cold damage. That is the most relevant from it.

Darkstalker will clearly be the second one.

I think something from a monster manual perhaps? it would be incredible if this bastard can make CON dmg or bestow negative lvls!!

Blackhawk748
2015-04-10, 09:48 AM
Well Improved Rapid Strike could be useful when he finally qualifies for it, also i recommend consulting UrPriest's Monster Handbook as it talks about improving monsters and im pretty sure it has a section on good feats.

Loki Eremes
2015-04-10, 12:24 PM
Well Improved Rapid Strike could be useful when he finally qualifies for it, also i recommend consulting UrPriest's Monster Handbook as it talks about improving monsters and im pretty sure it has a section on good feats.

The UrPriest Handbook is great! Thx man!
But still it doesnt have a feat section....

Guess ill have to look up all Monster Manuals....

Loki Eremes
2015-04-11, 05:04 PM
So.....no one?
nothing more?

i still have almost the same doubts as in the beginning..... u.u

No one has FEATS for him to recomend?
What about the "Large" problem?

Blackhawk748
2015-04-11, 05:34 PM
So.....no one?
nothing more?

i still have almost the same doubts as in the beginning..... u.u

No one has FEATS for him to recomend?
What about the "Large" problem?

I always find it weird when an incoporeal creature becomes Large, i mean thats a direct nerf. Id just ask your DM to not have it increase in size.

Loki Eremes
2015-04-13, 09:37 AM
I always find it weird when an incoporeal creature becomes Large, i mean thats a direct nerf. Id just ask your DM to not have it increase in size.

The Large problem is basically resolved. Im using the Large Shadow elemental with fewer hit dice. :smallbiggrin:

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 09:50 AM

Are there any ways to make it corporeal? Ever?

Loki Eremes
2015-04-13, 07:55 PM
Are there any ways to make it corporeal? Ever?

I dont really think there is a way to eliminate Incorporeal traits or "corporealize" it.... It is not an ability nor a spell in this case. Not even an AMField would change it.

A shame no one cares about my thread tough, i try to use this as future reference guides for myself and friends. Not a lot of interest from playgrounders this time. :smalltongue:

Urpriest
2015-04-14, 08:41 AM
The Large problem is basically resolved. Im using the Large Shadow elemental with fewer hit dice. :smallbiggrin:

Can't check in detail now because I'm at work, but there's an example character with an example Large Shadow Servant, so you should be able to figure out how it's supposed to work from that.

And yeah, my handbook doesn't have optimization advice, beyond the basic "savage species monster classes are painful!" There are a few feats like Rapidstrike and Ghostly Grasp that are quite monster-specific (as well as a few grappling-focused ones from Serpent Kingdoms), but in general it's better to focus on feats that would also be good if it was a player, or good "companion" feats like Martial Study for White Raven Tactics.

Loki Eremes
2015-04-14, 02:38 PM
Can't check in detail now because I'm at work, but there's an example character with an example Large Shadow Servant, so you should be able to figure out how it's supposed to work from that.

And yeah, my handbook doesn't have optimization advice, beyond the basic "savage species monster classes are painful!" There are a few feats like Rapidstrike and Ghostly Grasp that are quite monster-specific (as well as a few grappling-focused ones from Serpent Kingdoms), but in general it's better to focus on feats that would also be good if it was a player, or good "companion" feats like Martial Study for White Raven Tactics.

Ive read all of your guide. Its great man. Its a shame it doesnt have a feat section but i understand every mob is different so it doesnt benefits from the same feats, so its hard to make a section for that.

I battled with a lot of books and also used the crystalkeep references and i found some good feats for him, and for me (specially on the book of evil deeds)
ToB is off the table tough, but it would be nice.