PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sorcerer: Ritual Caster feat

AmbientRaven
2015-04-10, 06:51 AM
Hi Folks,

Is it worth losing stats (point buy) to get Ritual caster on a 2Lock/18 Sorc (atm its 2/3)?

Thanks for thoughts/input

Madfellow
2015-04-10, 07:19 AM
If you were to take a third level of warlock, you could take the Pact of the Tome and pick up the invocation that lets you cast rituals. This would avoid spending a feat.

Person_Man
2015-04-10, 07:53 AM
I would only do it if you're playing in a small party and the added utility of the Rituals would be a big deal.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of dipping Warlock for Eldritch Blast. The added at-will damage really isn't that much better then what a Draconic Sorcerer can do, and you delay your spell and metamagic progression, which are the real "win" buttons for hard encounters. Though in fairness, I tend to optimize for hard/boss battles, because that's where my characters are traditionally killed, and not for resource management intensive long dungeon slogs, where better at-will whatever would be a bigger deal.

AmbientRaven
2015-04-10, 08:25 AM
I would only do it if you're playing in a small party and the added utility of the Rituals would be a big deal.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of dipping Warlock for Eldritch Blast. The added at-will damage really isn't that much better then what a Draconic Sorcerer can do, and you delay your spell and metamagic progression, which are the real "win" buttons for hard encounters. Though in fairness, I tend to optimize for hard/boss battles, because that's where my characters are traditionally killed, and not for resource management intensive long dungeon slogs, where better at-will whatever would be a bigger deal.

I'm playing them as an "arcane archer" so Elderitch blast best resembles standard arrows
Also you arecorrect, I decided against it as overall benefit isnt that huge

Shining Wrath
2015-04-10, 08:38 AM
Since sorcerers get more cantrips than other classes you should be able to have a good selection of at-will stuff as a pure sorcerer.

As to the original question, you have to choose a class with a good selection of rituals for the feat to help, and Sorcerer doesn't have a good selection. It's OK, you can choose any class, but you have to choose carefully, and some of the Wizard list may not work well unless you raise your INT score.

I'd suggest looking at one of the websites with spell sorter tools, look at the ritual spells you can get from Bard and Wizard and Cleric, check out the spells to see if they are useful and not heavily caster score dependent, and then decide. I think you'll probably decide against it.

Chronos
2015-04-10, 09:38 AM
Very few rituals, from any list, are ability-score dependent. In fact, for most rituals it doesn't really matter who casts them at all. You probably want someone in your party able to cast wizard rituals, but that could be a wizard or tomelock without any feat, or absolutely anyone with the Ritual Caster feat.

SharkForce
2015-04-10, 10:19 AM
quick correction: 3 levels of tome warlock with the ritual invocation "only" gets you all level 1-2 rituals. which is still ridiculously good, don't get me wrong, it just isn't quite the same as all rituals.

that said, i don't feel that sorcerer is as stuck relying on higher level slots for hard fights as others if you're going for a damage-focused sorcerer. delaying fireball and scorching ray is pretty rough, but once you're past those the improvements in damage spells are relatively minor until you get to meteor swarm (and imo, ~10 levels of having those warlock levels, with the extra 2nd level spell slots every short rest, access to rituals, and yes, the superior single target damage that comes from agonizing blast and having the hex spell on your list, is probably worth it).

kaoskonfety
2015-04-10, 10:42 AM
Very few rituals, from any list, are ability-score dependent. In fact, for most rituals it doesn't really matter who casts them at all. You probably want someone in your party able to cast wizard rituals, but that could be a wizard or tomelock without any feat, or absolutely anyone with the Ritual Caster feat.

Contacting ALL the Planes! *rolls* - YES! - my barbarian goes mad from glimpsing worlds beyond mortal understanding! Perfect! Time to start worshipping snake gods and levelling into druid to turn into a SNAKE!

I'm not sure if its the only "stat" dependant ritual (a save actually, so its WAY worse) - but it is the funniest

RulesJD
2015-04-10, 05:29 PM
Optimal Setup:

Variant Human and take Elemental Adapt (Fire) and combine with Draconic Sorc (Red, Gold, Brass I believe)

Level 1 - Sorc (mostly for Con save proficiency)
Levels 2-3 Warlock (AB + EB + RB).
Level 4-8 Sorc (Have to get that +cha mod to fire damage goodness)
Level 9 - Warlock (2nd level short rest spells = 4 Sorc Points each short rest, immensely more useful. Take Pact of Tome for all level 1-2 rituals, especially Find Familiar)

If Damage isn't our concern, then take Level 1 Sorc, then 3 in Warlock. You'll delay your next ASI by 1 level, but you'll have Rituals pretty early as well as access to Guidance + Vicious Mockery + Sacred Flame for cantrips.

If you're playing by Adventure League rules (Where you can reform your class in any way up to level 4), then yeah just take Ritual Caster as a variant human because you wont run into much Fire resistances early on. At level 4, just reform to Sorc 1/Warlock 3.