PDA

View Full Version : The Long Journey Home [IC]

Pages : [1] 2 3

AlphaLuke
2015-04-10, 08:40 AM
The warm breeze of the the trackless grass sea blows past the faces of our adventurers as they plod the long, dirt road westward towards their home.

Pent
2015-04-13, 09:49 AM
Pent and Hilde review their surroundings, for any dangers or any landmarks of note.

[roll0]

[roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-04-13, 01:33 PM
Pent see's rolling scrubgrass, babbling streams, craggish hills, and the distant snow-capped peaks of the Sunrise Mountains (http://u.slimg.com/smartertravel/gallery/260/originals/stm509d014eb140f20121109.jpg). The grass isn't quite as tall at this part of the Great Golden Way, and Pent can see for miles. He knows from his previous travels that he's about a 2 day ride from Almorel (http://imgur.com/NhUjq6Y), the last trade city that Faerunian scholars counts as part of the Western Hordelands along the Way.

Hilde's clouded eyes are't able to see the mountains, but she can smell the crisp breeze, hear the sound of her horse plodding forward steadily, and taste the salt of the sweat dripping from her brow.

Neither are able to detect anything outwardly dangerous about their surroundings.

Pent
2015-04-15, 02:48 PM
Pent asks his group as we ride along: "So what's our plan once we reach Almorel? What do we know about it?"

Rhikiah
2015-04-16, 01:47 PM
"As far as I'm concerned Pent, we rest and stock up. Perhaps we will be able to find a merchant who can put our extra weapons to good use and perhaps we'll be even luckier and we can find some other magical item to further aid us. However, I suggest we continue onward as soon as we can. Every step gets us closer to Rashemen. We will find something there, I know it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone or something waiting for us when we get there."

Pent
2015-04-16, 01:57 PM
Well hell, that's an easy bet. I hope whatever it is has a really punchable face.

Pent
2015-05-04, 01:22 PM
Hey, uh, this is a weird question, I know. But uh, Can I have a hair from each of you guys? It could be useful in the future.

Pent
2015-05-15, 11:41 AM
*Hilde gives Pent a quizzical look, but offers up a single hair.*

Thanks Hilde, I know it sounds weird, but that's our life now, right?

Rhikiah? Meera? May I?

AlphaLuke
2015-05-15, 11:55 AM
Meera warily eyes the man. Then, abrupt as always, asks, "Why?" She was loathe to give Pent anything that might cause her harm, and she knew of several nasty necromantic rituals that required hairs of the victims.

Pent
2015-05-15, 12:01 PM
"I'll just show you."

Pent uses his ancient Aasimar heritage to cast Alter Self (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/alter-self) to look like Hilde.

"It will only last for a few minutes at a time though. And This is all I can do until we rest again." Pent says in Hilde's voice, which creeps her out a little.

Rhikiah
2015-05-19, 10:27 AM
"Umm, with that little display, I'm going to say no." as Rhikiah wants none of that. One of him is enough.

Pent
2015-05-26, 09:29 AM
"Understood, your choice. I wouldn't go beheind your back to clone you and cause trouble. Meera, I assume you'll decline as well?"

AlphaLuke
2015-05-26, 02:18 PM
Meera looks disdainfully at Pent.

. . . No . . .

Shouldering her pack, she continues the walk westward.

Perception checks should be rolled to anticipate any incoming encounters, or potential peril.

Pent
2015-05-26, 02:37 PM
*Pent transforms back into his regular form as he hikes on*

Pent's Perception:
[roll0]

Hilde's Perception:
[roll1]

Rhikiah
2015-06-01, 03:02 PM
Rhikiah's Perception: [roll0]
Heinz's Perception: [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-06-02, 08:04 AM
Hilde and Heinz are distracted by a passing butterfly and chipmunk, respectively.

Pent and Rhikiah, though, see a lone woman (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/99/bc/92/99bc9244225a89b40dead6f7078d70d6.jpg) with dark hair walking down the road toward them. She looks human, with dark hair and tanned skin. She carries a small satchel around her waist, and wears a white and brown dress cut in a Sembian fashion. Looking towards the group, she smiles sweetly and curtseys low as they meet her on the road.

Well met my lords. I am Rose of Ravensworth. I deal in Herbs and Tinctures. Might I interest you in some of my wares? I'm sure I have something to ease travel weary feet or sun scorched skin.

Meera snorts at her, and continues walking down the road past her.

Pent
2015-06-02, 12:09 PM
Pent notices that this lady, although beautiful, is as much as a stranger in these lands as he is. He thinks Meera has the right idea. Gives the lady a polite nod as he continues on his way.

Pent
2015-06-02, 12:42 PM
Hilde however, is more trusting than Pent. She tells the beautiful stranger "Actually, I could use some aid for my feet. What do you have for blisters?"

AlphaLuke
2015-06-02, 12:50 PM
Rose rummages in her satchel, happy to see someone stop for her. Pulling out two vials from the sack, she holds them up for Hilde to examine.

I have some Witch-Hazel that will make for a very relaxing foot bath at the end of the day. In the mean time, I have some Mallow to rub on any open blisters. I think that these two things should have you fixed before you can blink!

Smiling, she hands them over to Hilde. And they're a steal at only 6 silvers a piece.

Profession: Herbalist [roll0]

Rhikiah
2015-06-02, 01:07 PM
Rhikiah thinks that an attractive woman walking down the road all by her lonesome is incredibly suspicious. She is either very incredible on her own or there is a trap being laid and she is a scout of sorts. Not to mention that she seems to easily speak Common when no one else has come close to understanding us.

During her talk with Hilde and her description of the herbs, he studies her to get a better idea of her intentions

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Pent
2015-06-02, 01:12 PM
"Sold!" Hilde says with delight. "Uncle Pent! Give this lady 12 silver!"

Pent grudgingly approaches the pair of women.

Seeing that the woman has yet to start singing a song that controls him, he thinks she may not super evil.

"You don't look like you're from around here." He says, handing over the coins.

AlphaLuke
2015-06-02, 01:31 PM
Rhikiah senses no deception in anything she has said or done yet.

Rose graciously accepts the coinage, and beams at Pent. I'm not. I'm from Sembia, but I've been traveling this road since my uncle first brought me here on a trade route as a girl. I come back every year during the thaw to ply my trade on the way to and from Shou. There are always weary travelers and coin to be made for those of talent. Now that I have your attention, is there anything I can get, or make, for you?

Rhikiah
2015-06-02, 01:39 PM
Sensing no ill intent, Rhikiah decides to take whatever help they can get, "Perhaps you can tell us of any upcoming towns that we will meet on our journey and anything of importance. If you even know of any areas along the path that could be problematic, we would appreciate any advice or information you could give."

AlphaLuke
2015-06-02, 01:52 PM
Turning to Rhikiah, Rose smiles. Well, I know that there is a caravan of halfling travelers about 3 miles that way that has stopped to camp for the night. Only two wagons, two oxen, but there are about a dozen of them. They say they're traveling to mend pots, catch fish, and do petty labor. They almost bought me out of Heal-All Root for minor cuts and bruises! Then, about a day's walk beyond that there is the Serpent River running off the Lake of Mists. The bridge there is small, but well maintained cobble. Hardly see trolls there at all anymore! Then you've got about two to three more days of grassland to walk thru. Lots of traders, a few pilgrims to the temple of Chauntea halfway between the river and the town, and then finally you hit Almorel! That's a fun town. Lots of shops and new people to meet. They also have a House Lyrandar port, so you can hire a Skyship if you have enough gold.

Rhikiah
2015-06-02, 02:14 PM
Rhikiah cannot shake the sense that something is off here. This woman has no idea who we are and she is telling us of a group of people ahead that we could potentially harm, despite us being outnumbered. After Rose spoke of the group of halflings, Rhikiah attempts to study her once again to see if there is more to what she is saying. He feels that this is either a trap or Rose is one of the most naive people that Rhikiah has ever run across.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-06-02, 02:33 PM
Rhikiah cannot sense any deception in the woman. Perhaps she evaluated your group and determined that you would not harm the travelers on the road?

Rhikiah
2015-06-02, 02:42 PM
Rhikiah wants to prove that theory wrong...but...he won't. "Thank you for the information Rose. As my parents always said, 'I wish you long days and pleasant nights.' "

Pent
2015-06-02, 03:16 PM
"To answer your earlier question, Miss Rose. I think we have all the herbs and salves we need for now." says Pent.

AlphaLuke
2015-06-03, 06:46 AM
Looking slightly dejected, Rose suddenly brightens.

Well, then maybe I can travel with you! I was going to turn back in the next day or so anyway, and I promise I won't be a burden. I can take care of myself, and I can cook!

Pent
2015-06-03, 07:47 AM
"Well, okay. But as fair warning, its really bad luck to be travelling with us. You might be safer alone. But we watch out for each other, and we'll watch out for you too."

AlphaLuke
2015-06-03, 08:08 AM
Rose smiles, but the smile never touches her eyes.

I'm sure that you'll find me more than capable of watching over myself . . .

With that, Rose pulls an odd contraption from the folds of her skirt. With a flick of her wrist, the item made of hinges, string, and wooden slats becomes a horn shortbow. She then pulls a small quiver of short arrows from her satchel and ties it to the belt at her hip.

Well, then. Let's be off! I want to get to that camp of halflings before nightfall. The Shadowcats . . . she eyes Heinz warily out of the corner of her eye . . . that's when they usually come out to hunt.

She begins to walk West, now a clear 200 paces behind the stoic Meera.

Pent
2015-06-03, 08:12 AM
"The **** just happened?" half-whispers Pent to Rhikiah & Hilde.

Pent waits for Hilde to finish applying her new medicine, and the pair head down the path, behind Meera & Rose.

Pent
2015-06-04, 08:49 AM
Pent speeds up to talk to the attractive and charming Rose.

"So how often have you travelled this road with your uncle?"

AlphaLuke
2015-06-04, 09:11 AM
Smiling quickly at the metallic man, Rose walks while she talks, keeping her eyes on the surrounding grassland.

My uncle died more than 4 years ago, but until then I would walk this road with him once every other season. When the thaw would come we'd travel from Ordulin in Sembia to Xian-Wen in Shou. We'd spend a year in each city, and travel the year in between. He was a spice trader. It wasn't a huge leap to make from spices to herbs, and I took over his route after he passed.

What brings you to the Golden Way? You don't look Tuigan. In fact, you and your friends wouldn't be out of place in Sembia, or maybe the Dalelands.

Perception - [roll0]

Pent
2015-06-04, 09:27 AM
*Pent rubs the back of his neck*

"Well its uh, its a long story. But you're right, we're definitely not from here. We're on our way towards Rashemen. Mulsantir, specifically."

Noticing Rose's behavior to watch the surroundings, he takes a look out too.

"You've been travelling this road alone for 4 years? Do you encounter trouble often? You seemed troubled by the camp of halflings, are you expecting trouble from them?"

[roll0] roll result was 13 before I edited the post

AlphaLuke
2015-06-04, 09:50 AM
Mulsantir is a nice strong Rashemi town with big stone walls. Fishing port if memory serves. They don't have a skyport, but they have a fairly large riverport and a sizable marketplace. Just don't give any lip to Witches. They own that whole country, and they'll flay you as soon as look at you. But they tend to stay fair and just in most dealings. And like I said. I can take care of myself well enough. The Halflings . . . well . . . Rose shys a bit . . . they bought a LOT of Heal-All Root. I just don't know why they had so many cuts and bruises. I've learned it's better to be over-cautious than under.

Pent
2015-06-04, 09:55 AM
*Pent thinks back to the halfling bandit he decapitated in one swipe back on the other side of the world*

"Good thinking on the halflings, we'll be careful. What's a skyport? Is that related to a skyship you mentioned earlier?"

AlphaLuke
2015-06-04, 10:29 AM
Smiling at Pent, Rose giggles. Skyports are for Skyships, Pent. Like normal ports are for normal ships. They're big towers run by House Lyrandar. They have total sovereignty there, the town guards can't even get in.

Rhikiah
2015-06-04, 10:37 AM
"Hmmm, sounds like we will need to suck up - or worse - to this House Lyrandar if we want any sort of help or access..."

Pent
2015-06-04, 10:40 AM
Pent looks amazed.

"Ships...that..fly? THEY HAVE THOSE!!! RHIKIAH! MEERA! WE'RE GOING TO ALMOREL!"

AlphaLuke
2015-06-08, 09:47 AM
Smiling, Rose continues on the road West with her new companions.

. . .

The Sun begins to touch the Sunrise Mountain to the West as the group travels along the Golden Way, bathing the grassland in firely orange light. Before long, the group happens upon the halfling caravan Rose had spoken of earlier. Parked alongside the road in a patch of cropped grass and dirt, the two covered wagons are vibrantly painted gold and red, green and purple. The are painted in such a garish and dizzying pattern of colors that you could probably see them from miles away. Two woolly oxen are tied to a makeshift hitching pole and munch lazily on feedbags tied to their necks. Sitting around a central fire, three wisened halfling men with shaggy brown/grey hair and sun creased faces smoke their long-stemmed pipes while sitting on upturned logs. Two separate cook fires are tended to by six women, each either dicing or stirring various ingredients while gibbering on in the quick Halfling tongue and laughing raucously at the occasional joke. They wear long skirts and have their hair tied back in elaborate scarves as colorful as their wagons. Three children, two girls and a boy, run around the wagons, apparently playing a game of tag.

Upon sight of the adventurers, the men stand and the children run to the women, but seeing Rose sets them at ease and they quickly wave the group over.

One of the men, an old Halfling with wrinkled tanned skin, grey curly hair, and vibrant green eyes walks over the the group at the edge of their camp. Speaking briskly with a distinct Halfling "twang" he smiles at the adventurers.

Goodrose! How well it is to see you again! And you have brought visitors! He extends outstretched palms. I am Marin Thistlewave, and this is my family. You are welcome to share our fires.

Still smiling, he seems to be waiting for some kind of response, arms extended and palms open.

Pent
2015-06-08, 09:58 AM
Somethings not making sense here, Pent thinks. Rose said this group needed lots of healing, but they have women and children with them. Better play up the diplomacy, keep things friendly as to prevent any casualties.

Bending down slightly, Pent extends a hand and a warm smile. "Well met, Mr. Thistlewave! I am Pent Normandy and these are my companions. We appreciate your hospitality. Some of our group like their privacy, so we'll set up our tents on the outskirts of your camp, as to not intrude on your families."

[roll0]

Pent
2015-06-08, 11:36 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-06-08, 12:41 PM
Marin seems to be genuine in his welcome.

Rhikiah
2015-06-10, 09:02 PM
"Good evening, Sir Thistlewave. My name is Rhikiah. I will admit, meeting someone that does not wish us harm is certainly refreshing. As my friend Pent said, we travel with some...less than friendly companions." Rhikiah nods his head over towards Meera. "The truth is, all of us have been given many a reason to be quiet, keep to ourselves and be on our guard. I do hope you will not take it as a slight or as an act of disrespect. It has been a rough road and though some of us may not show it, your hospitality is certainly welcomed." Knowing a fair amount of their language, Rhikiah says, "Thank you for your generosity" in Halfling.

"May I ask, what brings you and your family along these parts?"

Pent
2015-06-11, 07:40 AM
Pent admires Rhikiah's speaking abilities.

AlphaLuke
2015-06-11, 08:49 AM
Marin's smile nearly splits his face in half. In an excited Halfling tongue, You speak our language! Koda, Nort! Come see this tallfolk speak our tongue! The two other men, one grizzled like an old root and the other plump and rosy, walk up to Rhikiah and regard him smiling, long pipe stems hanging out of their mouths.

Switching back into common, Marin speaks to the group as a whole. Now it is settled. You must share our fires and our meals. They aren't much, but I will not stand for it if you refuse. Motioning towards a old halfling woman with a kind face and white hair, This is my wife, Elanna. She makes the best goat stew this side of the Sunrise Mountains. The woman blushes and beams at her husband. She speaks in a less fluid common. You are welcome to take food with us tallfolk. We honor your visit.

Sitting around the large central fire, Marin offers Pent and Rhikiah pipes filled with earthy tobacco. Elanna ladles goat stew into bowls, surely the correct size for halflings but little more than large cups for humans. Rose plays with the children while Meera sulks at the edge of camp.

Sitting and smoking, Marin regards Rhikiah. Now, Master Rhikiah, as for what brings my family here. We follow the way of the leaf. The leaf lives its appointed time, and does not struggle against the wind that carries it away. The leaf does no harm, and finally falls to nourish new leaves. So it should be with all men. And women. Most towns give us petty jobs to do. Some run us out for fear of thievery. When we are attacked, we run. We do not pick up a spear nor sword, even to defend our lives. And so, we travel. He ends with a half smile, and only the slightest look of . . . not anger, but perhaps pity for the weapons at the adventurers sides.

Pent
2015-06-11, 09:01 AM
Pent is perplexed.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. But couldn't more of your lives be saved if you fought off your attackers? Maybe hire a mercenary to protect you?"

Pent looks around, gathers his thoughts and gestures to his children.

"At the end of the day, its their lives and safety that is most important."

AlphaLuke
2015-06-11, 09:35 AM
Smiling and chuckling, Marin closes his eyes while shaking his head.

If a man hit me, I would ask him why he wanted to do such a thing. If he still wanted to hit me, I would run away, as I would if he wanted to rob or kill me. Much better that I let him take what he wanted, even my life, than that I should do violence. And I would hope that he was not harmed too greatly. Violence harms the one who does it as much as the one who receives it. You could cut down a tree with your axe. The axe does violence to the tree, but does not escape unharmed. Wood is soft compared to steel, but the sharp steel is dulled as it chops, and the sap of the tree will rust and pit it. They mighty axe does violence to the helpless tree, and is harmed by it. So it is with men, though the harm is in the spirit.

Elanna nods and smiles at her husband and grimaces slightly at the swords on Pent's side.

Pent
2015-06-11, 09:47 AM
Slightly offended that he is being called a murderer, Pent feels defensive.

"People are alive today because of my actions. My skills are violent, yes, but I've never killed anything that didn't intend to cause harm to myself or someone else."

He thinks of the children he saved from the witches back on the other side of the world. He nodds to himself, trying to convince himself as much as Marin.

"Yes, my violence is needed to save lives. So far, the world is a better place because I take action."

AlphaLuke
2015-06-11, 10:01 AM
Marin laughs again.

I'm sure that you believe that, but do not expect me to. The same way, I accept if you are to share the way of the leaf with me or not. The wind blows us all. Let us not talk of such distasteful things. Know that you are welcome here and none shall raise a hand against you.

Elanna brings another bowl of stew for the adventurers, and Marin grabs a twig from the fire to light a new bowl of tobacco. Wine is passed around the fire from a skin and it tastes tart and refreshing.

One of the Halfling women begins to dance slowly around the fire to the sounds of a short mandolin played by the plump man, Nort. The children sit and eat their stew while smiling and swaying to the music in the setting sun's light.

Pent
2015-06-11, 10:10 AM
Pent accepts the serenity of the scene, and thinks of the words of Marin. At the very least, he should be receptive to their customs.

Without a word he gets up, sets up his tent, and drops all of his weapons in his tent, out of sight from the peaceful family. He morphs his Frozen Flame into a buckler and equips it to his back.

"A shield isn't a weapon to them, this probably won't offend..." he thinks to himself.

Hilde comes over and helps Pent out of his heavy armor. Hilde also sheds her armor and weapons in the tent.

They rejoin the group and sips some wine.

AlphaLuke
2015-06-11, 02:20 PM
Seeing the man unarmed, the Halflings give a silent nod of approval while they continue their conversations underneath the music.

Tell me, Master Pent. How does a group such as yourself make their way to this part of the world?

Pent
2015-06-11, 02:39 PM
Pent takes a sip of wine and nods, as he tries to think of how to answer this.

"We're from Faerūn. We were sent here one night by an evil and powerful man who intends to do us harm. We're trying to make our way back home by way of Almorel."

Pent takes another sip. Hoping to get Marin not ask any more questions about their past.

"How about you? Where are you headed, Marin? What do you do to get by?"

Rhikiah
2015-06-14, 10:19 AM
Rhikiah had something to say but his mind became lost in the tranquility of the campsite. To bring it up at this point would be awkward as the moment has passed. If that moment returns, he will speak his mind.

AlphaLuke
2015-06-15, 08:22 AM
Oh, Master Pent, we go where the wind blows, where the fish are, where there is work mending pots or plowing fields. Mostly, we go where there is no violence. Almorel is an . . . interesting place. Full of rough folk from my memory. I do hope that you know when to run.

I know that the Plutarch of Almorel is a cruel and devious man who has cheated us from our due more than once. Please, be careful.

With that, Marin puffs pensively upon his pipe and stares into the fire while the music continues.

Pent
2015-06-15, 12:32 PM
"Where are you headed tomorrow? Maybe we could travel together until its time to head separate ways?"

AlphaLuke
2015-06-15, 12:44 PM
Eyeing Pent carefully, Marin replies slowly. We head west, along the road. The same as you I think. But we will be moving our wagons, so we will be much slower than you. You needn't worry about us friend.

Pent
2015-06-15, 12:47 PM
Pent nods and sips his wine, trying to ascertain if Marin sees him as an enemy.

[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-06-15, 01:00 PM
Marin seems guarded. He doesn't seem to see Pent as an enemy, but he also doesn't want any violence, lethal or otherwise, associated with his family.

Pent
2015-06-15, 01:09 PM
Pent and Hilde enjoy the serenity a little more. Then head to their respective tents to go to bed.

As he gets up, he puts his hand on Rhikiah's shoulder. "Wake me when its my turn to watch."

Rhikiah, Pent, Rose, Meera, Hilde?

Casters at the edges so they can get their full 8 hours of rest.

Rhikiah
2015-06-17, 06:10 PM
"Yes Pent, I will take first watch. I believe I will enjoy the night a bit longer." As Pent moves by, Rhikiah sets his pipe down and calls Heinz over to him. With his pet and friend by his side, he continues to survey the tranquil grass-filled plains. He thinks back to times when he noticed other beasts running, or rather galloping in the distance and realizes that it has been several tendays before he was truly faithful to his deity. Not wanting to lose this chance but also not wanting to impose, he asks, "Marin, would I make you or any of your family uncomfortable if I prayed right now?"."

AlphaLuke
2015-06-18, 06:31 AM
Marin smiles and pats Pent on the back as he leaves for the tents. Of course not, Master Rhikiah! May I ask, to whom do you swear your faith?

Rhikiah
2015-06-19, 10:57 PM
Rhikiah pulls his silver holy symbol out from under his shirt. "I worship the deity, Lurue." Even though he's speaking to Marin, his gaze never leaves the symbol. "She was very good to my family when I was growing up. My mother worshiped her, while my father worshiped Silvanus." He turns the symbol over in his hand several times, thinking back to the parents that he will never see again and holds back a tear. In order to keep his voice from cracking from the weight of his sadness, he closes his eyes and takes a large breath. After he exhales, he turns his attention to Marin. "The one aspect of Lurue that drew me to her is that she believes that all life should be lived to its fullest. When an opportunity comes, one should take it and make sure there is much joy and merriment to be had. To me, that always meant freedom, true freedom. The freedom to do what you want and more importantly, allowing others to do the same. It's one reason why your conversation with Pent intrigued me. It may sound like a bit of a stretch but whenever I see two similar people respectfully conversing and arriving at two very different ideas, it tells me that two very different yet very important lives have been lived. While my ideologies may align more with Pent's, I can certainly see where you are coming from. Even though Pent and yourself may not worship Lurue, I can guarantee she smiles at the lives you lead." With this, Rhikiah regains his composure.

After a small pause, he continues with more of a chagrined tone, "It's why I feel I must pray this night. I fear that I have been selfish as of late. I joined with my companions in order to avenge a great wrong. I let that goal be my only focus. After a few days, I was not doing this to stop a great evil but my goal was to appease my own desire for vengeance and that is not how one should live. I have taken a step or two off of the path and I believe I must return to who I was." With this, Rhikiah Realizes just how long he has been talking, he smirks to himself and says, "I apologize. I seem to have gone on a rant there Marin. Apparently my subconscious felt the need to unburden myself. I'm sorry if I have made you uncomfortable, my friend."

AlphaLuke
2015-06-29, 12:55 PM
Lurue, eh? , Marin eyes the holy symbol reverently. I've heard of her worship, but must admit I've never seen one of her priests. From what I've heard, they mostly keep to the woods and stay away from civilized folk. I'm sure that, if she's as free spirited as you say, she'll forgive any impulsiveness you've got in your past, lad. And no need to apologize to me. Like I said, all peaceful folk are welcome here.

He tokes on his pipe while fishing a small wooden disk from his belt pouch. See this? 'tis the symbol of Our Lady, The Hearthkeeper. Rhikiah sees that it's a simple oak disk, carved and inset with a small wooden door on a hinge. The door can swing open on its tiny hinges, revealing the open hole within the disk. Cyrrollalee, the Hearthkeeper is the Halfling deity of friendship, trust and hospitality. Her symbol here shows the two way path that halflings should take: leave the door open to welcome friends and have a look outdoors to discover new places in the world. We're no priests, but ever time we get out of a tight spot, we make sure to leave a small offering of fresh bread and rosemary in thanks for her loving embrace.

Soon, after a few more bowls of tobacco and a few more swigs from the tart and sweet wineskin, the white haired Elanna pats her husband on the shoulder and quietly speaks Halfling to him, Husband, the younglings are asleep. I now retire. Please share our bed soon.

Marin stands immediately, and brushes the ashes from his breeches. Elanna bows to Rhikiah and disappears behind a door in her wagon. I dare say I've let the talk get the better of my sense. I'm off to bed, young Rhikiah. I heard you organizing a watch schedule. I appreciate that. I hope to continue our talking in the morning. With that, he bows low and heads off to the wagon behind his wife.

The night is now quiet. It seems that Rose has found a place for her tent next to one of the wagons, and the rest of the group has long gone to bed in their own tents. Rhikiah, peers into the darkness.

Now's the time to pray or make any perception checks for the night.

Pent
2015-06-29, 01:18 PM
Pent's perception - [roll0]

Hilde's percepton - [roll]1d20+1[roll]

Pent
2015-06-29, 01:25 PM
if we don't get attacked before her shift.[roll0]

Rhikiah
2015-07-02, 08:37 PM
Rhikiah nods his head to Marin as he passes and smiles. Before he begins his prayer, Rhikiah and Heinz stare into the darkness:

Rhikiah's Perception: [roll0]
Heinz's Perception: [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-07, 09:04 AM
Perception: [roll0]
The night's sounds echo through the symphony of the heavens. The sky is clear, and reveals a myriad of stars dancing in the heavens. The full moon casts light so bright as to create twisted shadows in the circle of tents. In the distance, wolf howls mix with shadowcat roars. The bug and frog songs, unfamiliar to all but Rose, chirp and twitter in the dark. A light breeze blows through the camp in the wee hours of the morning and the whole area soon collects a light coating of misty dew. Small embers cling to life in the fireplace through the night.

When the sun finally rises over the endless grass sea of the East, the small folk have already begun to stir. Breathing life into the cinders of last night's fires and throwing sizzling slabs of cured pork belly and stirring bubbling pots of porridge, they greet the adventurers with hearty smiles and full plates. They also brew a strange concoction of a drink that is hot, nearly black, and unbelievably bitter. They hand small steaming cups to the group and smile mischievously as they taste the liquid they call "caff".

Pent and Rhikiah find that Meera's tent has been packed and removed in the night. In its place, they find a small leather script containing a handwritten letter. Meera, and her horse Azazel, are nowhere to be found.

I have struck off alone. I have always worked better alone. After communing with Kelemvor last evening, I realized that this is the path I must take. I will hunt the undead wherever they reside. Perhaps I will see you again. I pray that I do. Do not attempt to follow or find me. You will not. Please believe that this is what I must do to honor my god. Walk in the light, and I hope you have a safe journey.

~Meera

Walking over to the two, Rose looks concerned while sipping her caff.

So, she has gone then? I can't say I'm surprised, but I hope she fares well alone. She seems the sort to eschew companions.

Pent
2015-07-07, 09:16 AM
"That's the nicest thing she has ever said to anyone." Pent remarks. "I hope she stays safe." Looking at the edges of the camp, fruitlessly looking for a sign. "Still, she's Meera. Keen of eye and cautious to a fault. I'm sure she'll be fine. Who knows, maybe she'll run into Jordannis!" Pent chuckles to himself.

"How many days until Almorel, Rose?"

AlphaLuke
2015-07-07, 09:40 AM
Only four days by foot. Fewer by horse and even fewer as the crow flies. Between here and there the road is mostly straight and flat, running through grassland and over only one river. There is a temple of Chauntea on the way. I'd love to start off as soon as we're done breaking fast if that's alright with you? Dew Weed flowers only stay open before the sun climbs to its height, and there are plenty on the road to Almorel. I'd like to pick a bundle on the way. They're common enough that they don't sell on this side of the Sunrise Mountains, but fetch a silver pence per flower on the Western side. Treats bad breath, you know. Smiling, she continues to sip her caff, which she seems to have stirred with some kind of cane of woody plant.

Pent
2015-07-07, 09:43 AM
Smiling "Absolutely, lets head out as soon as possible!"

Whispering to Rhikiah "Buddy, do I need Dew Weed?"

Rhikiah
2015-07-08, 08:43 AM
Rhikiah whispers back, "You seem to be good for now. Your breath lost its fishy smell ever since we left Waterdeep. However, knowing you, it will probably return shortly after we arrive in Almorel..."

After Rhikiah finishes packing up his belongings, he walks up to Marin and says, "Marin, you and your family have shared your food and your fire. You have shared your livelihood with us. I'm honored to call you 'friend' (he says in Halfling). If you ever happen to be in Almorel and somehow could use our assistance or help in something, please do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to repaying your kindness one day."

Pent
2015-07-08, 09:09 AM
Pent nods. Saying nothing, he glances at Hilde who is finishing her breakfast. He realizes he needs to make a change, and packs up his camp site, preparing to depart.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-08, 10:40 AM
Marin smiles at Rhikiah's farewell. May the road rise to meet your feet, master Rhikiah. I pray we meet again and can share more fires. He bows slightly and hands Rhikiah a leather wrapped bottle of the sharp berry wine they shared last evening. Elanna wraps a bundle of dried fruits, hard cheese, and dense bread and hands it to Rhikiah, smiling.

Rhikiah gains 1 bottle of berry wine and 3 days of rations.

Rose rolls her bedroll and stuffs it into a worn leather pack alongside her script of herbs and her traveling gear. Patting the younglings and waving as she says farewell, she begins with the others Westward.

Waving to the party walking West, the halflings begin to stow their campsite and ready their wagons.

. . .

The Road ahead is just as Rose described. Long and flat, with grassland to either side and looming mountains ahead. Rose is humming a traveling song to herself and keeping pace with the men. Suddenly, without warning, an arrow clatters on the cobblestones in front of the travelers, barely missing Heinz. Two more arrows find their mark and hitting Pent.

Roll for initiative.
Rose:[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-08, 10:43 AM
Pent takes [roll0] dmg

Pent
2015-07-08, 11:14 AM
Initiative rolls for Hilde & Pent

Pent [roll0]

Hilde [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-08, 11:35 AM
Rhikiah: [roll0]
Heinz: [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-08, 12:04 PM
Arrows fly from the tall grass on both sides towards Pent.

Three attacks on the man bristling with weapons. Pent is flat footed.
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]

Hilde's Turn

AlphaLuke
2015-07-08, 12:05 PM
Three arrows clatter uselessly off of Pent's iron hide.

Pent
2015-07-08, 12:10 PM
Hilde casts Bless (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bless)

She pulls out her Longspear as she attempts to locate the attackers.

Perception [roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-08, 12:14 PM
The attackers are hidden in the tall grass.

Stealth Checks
Attacker 1:[roll0]
Attacker 2:[roll1]
Attacker 3:[roll2]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-08, 12:16 PM
Hilde is able to make out the faint outline of one to the South.

Pent
2015-07-08, 12:28 PM
"ONE TO THE SOUTH!" Hilde yells

Rhikiah
2015-07-08, 06:32 PM
Rhikiah tells Heinz to guard Hilde
Handle Animal roll [roll0]

Rhikiah then 5-foot steps up next to Pent and casts Bulls Strength. During the movement, he tries to notice any other attacks in the grass.
Perception roll [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-09, 06:49 AM
Heinz will run to Hilde when he has the opportunity. Rhikiah's spell washes over Pent and the Brawler feels invigorated. The cleric is unable to find the sources of any of the arrows that have been flying at them.
Rhikiah casts Bull's Strength (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bull-s-strength) on Pent. The spell will last for 4 minutes. Pent's turn.

Pent
2015-07-09, 07:44 AM
Having been fired upon twice, Pent tries to find his attackers before acting.

[roll0]

Pent
2015-07-09, 07:57 AM
Move action - Pent moves 30' towards the southern attacker, equipping his frozen flame shield & shocking longsword.

Swift Action - Pent spends a mythic point to activate Fleet Charge, putting him next to his opponent, and strike unarmed for non-lethal damage.

Buffs: Bulls' Strength +2, Bless +1, Fleet Charge +1

[roll0]

Buffs: Bulls' Strength +2, bypassing all DR [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-09, 09:46 AM
Pent runs very quickly and launches a kick at what turns out to be a human in light leather armor and a camouflaged hood and face mask. The kick catches the man square in the chest and doubles him over as Pent feels cracked ribs.
Pent deals 9 points of nonlethal damage against the human attacker.
Heinz extends his claws and moves to crouch in front of Hilde.

Rose wastes no time. Her fun demeanor vanishes in an instant. As soon as the arrows begin to fly from the grass she reaches behind her and unfolds the bow she showed earlier while walking South into the grass. Targeting Hilde's called target, she looses a short arrow at the man.
Rose moves to avoid hitting Pent while firing into melee.
Attack Roll:[roll0]
Damage Roll:[roll1]
If hit, target must make a Fort Save DC13 or fall unconscious for 1 minute.
Attacker Fort Save:[roll2]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-09, 10:05 AM
The arrow strikes true and lodges itself into the man's side. He seems to ignore the effects of Rose's additive.

Stepping back, the injured man drops his bow and draws a strange weapon made of two metal balls connected by cord. Whirling them above his head, he throws them at Pent's feet.
Attack AC23:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
If hit, ranged Trip attempt CMD21:[roll2]

Arrows hail from the North, streaking towards Heinz.
Attacks against Heinz.
Attack1: [roll3]
Damage1: [roll4]
Attack2: [roll5]
Damage2: [roll6]
Attack3: [roll7]
Damage3: [roll8]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-09, 10:11 AM
Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage if confirmed: 21
Attack 2: [roll1]
Damage if confirmed: 21

AlphaLuke
2015-07-09, 10:14 AM
Heinz takes 28 points of damage.
The shadowcat roars in pain before two well placed arrows stop him in his tracks. He slumps to the ground bleeding out and not breathing. The great feline has perished.

Pent
2015-07-09, 11:00 AM
Hilde ducks into the grass adjacent to Rose, hoping to use the grass as concealment.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-09, 12:51 PM
Make a Stealth check. Also, is that all? Is Hilde's turn over?

Pent
2015-07-09, 12:56 PM
Stealth check [roll0] End of Hilde's turn

Rhikiah
2015-07-11, 07:34 PM
Rhikiah moves 30 feet as to stand in front of Hilde and goes Total Defense, increasing his AC by 4.

Pent
2015-07-13, 08:09 AM
Pent makes a 5' step towards the wounded attacker and makes a full attack action.

1st attack: +1 Shocking Longsword
Buffs: Bulls' Strength +2, Bless +1, Magic weapon +1, TWF-2
(1d20+13)[27]

damage:
Buffs: Bulls' Strength +2, Magic weapon +1
(1d8+8)[14] physical damage
(1d6)[6] electrical damage

2nd attack: unarmed strike
Buffs: Bulls' Strength +2, Bless +1, TWF-2
(1d20+12)[16]

damage:
Buffs: Bulls' Strength +2
(1d6+7)[10] non-lethal damage

Pent makes another perception check to try to locate the other attackers.

(1d20+9)[13]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-13, 08:33 AM
Stabbing at the man, Pent's electrified sword sears flesh and cauterizes the wound. Using the attacker's imbalance, Pent catches him on the chin with a spinning backfist and the man slumps to the ground unconcious. Looking around, he is unable to pinpoint any more attackers from the direction of the arrow fire.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-13, 08:48 AM
Rose knows that this situation will quickly become deadly if she does nothing. She had hoped she could keep this little trick from her new friends a while longer. Focusing her mind and calming her body, Rose completely vanishes from sight right in front of Rhikiah and Hilde.
Spend 1 Ki Point to use Vanishing Trick as a Swift Action. Lasts 4 rounds.
I don't have much time. They're here somewhere. Find them, sense them, feel it out.Rose coaches herself, remembering her training. Running across the road to the North, Rose stops and listens.
Move 30ft north, Perception check to find hidden enemies:[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-13, 08:50 AM
Rose senses two men, clad in grassy camouflage, firing arrows nearby. She has them now.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-13, 09:02 AM
Arrows stop flying, and instead several leather bags fly through the air at Rhikiah and Pent.
Two tanglefoot bags (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Tanglefoot-Bag) are thrown at Pent and one is thrown at Rhikiah.
Ranged touch attacks against Pent's touch AC (11):
[roll0]
[roll1]
Ranged touch attack against Rhikiah's touch AC (10+4 Dodge=18):
[roll2]

If Hit: Make a Ref Save DC 15 for each bag that hits.

The bag comes apart and goo bursts out, entangling the target and then becoming tough and resilient upon exposure to air. An entangled creature takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed. A creature that is glued to the floor (or unable to fly) can break free by making a DC 17 Strength check or by dealing 15 points of damage to the goo with a slashing weapon. A creature trying to scrape goo off itself, or another creature assisting, does not need to make an attack roll; hitting the goo is automatic, after which the creature that hit makes a damage roll to see how much of the goo was scraped off. Once free, the creature can move (including flying) at half speed. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make concentration check with a DC of 15 + the spell's level or be unable to cast the spell. The goo becomes brittle and fragile after 2d4 rounds, cracking apart and losing its effectiveness.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-13, 09:04 AM
Pent is hit by both bags and is entangled by the enveloping goo. Rhikiah dodges the missile and it splatters uselessly on the ground.

Pent
2015-07-13, 09:09 AM
Hit by 2 sticky bags, Pent attempts to prevent being stuck to the ground.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Pent
2015-07-13, 09:14 AM
Seeing no attacks, and not knowing her Uncle requires her help, Hilde goes into a total defensive mode.

Rhikiah
2015-07-15, 09:39 PM
Knowing that he could not destroy the goo that currently envelops Pent's feet as well as not knowing how to deal with the currently invisible attackers, Rhikiah continues stands his ground and protect his friend's niece going total defense. While defending, he scans the horizon tries to spot any of the attackers.

Perception[roll0]

Pent
2015-07-16, 07:46 AM
Pent works get this glue off his feat. he recalls the training to swing harder at the cost of accuracy as he hits the glue. He drops his Shocking Longsword his morphs the small shield into a Flaming Greatsword

Move action: Martial Flexibility - Power Attack.

Standard action: Slashing damage at the goop. Buffs: Bull's Strength (str mod 7), Magic weapon (1), Power Attack (4+2), 2H weapon (3)
[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-16, 08:12 AM
Rhikiah is still unable to see the concealed attackers, but adopts a wary stance and protects the blind oracle behind him.

Dropping his crackling longsword, Pent's shield of solid fire morphs and weaves itself into a cruel Greatsword. With a mighty slash, Pent frees himself from the ground,, but still has to deal with the goo sticking to his legs and arms.
Pent is entangled (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Entangled) and can move at half speed for [roll0] rounds.

Suddenly, a sharp yell is heard from the North and a man stands tall in the grass. He wears the same camouflage cloak as the other Pent and Rhikiah saw. Rose's cloak of invisibility shatters, and she stands behind the man, an oddly long curved dagger gleaming in the sunlight.
Rose sneak attacks the man with her wakizashi.
Attack: [roll1]
Damage if Hit: [roll2] plus Fort Save

AlphaLuke
2015-07-16, 08:14 AM
Rose's long knife sends a spray of blood across the grass and the wound festers with an herbal concoction.
Enemy Fort Save: [roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-16, 08:26 AM
The man seems unaffected by Rose's additive, but still quite wounded by her blow. He turns, dropping a bow from his hand and drawing a short club, and swings at Rose's skull.
Attack on Rose
Attack: [roll0]
Damage if Hit: [roll1] nonlethal.
A second man stands in the grass, shocked at Rose's sudden arrival. Still, if looks like his compatriot can handle a little woman with a dagger. He spins bolas above his head before loosing them at Pent and his menacing flaming Greatsword.
Ranged attack on Pent.
Attack: [roll2] against Pent's AC
Damage if Hit: [roll3] and ranged Trip against Pents CMD.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-16, 08:27 AM
Rose dodges the attack , coiling like a viper. Pent slices the bolas apart in midair.

Pent
2015-07-16, 08:34 AM
Hilde casts Magic Stone (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/magicStone.html) and moves closer to both Pent & the attacker.

Rhikiah
2015-07-19, 10:12 PM
Rhikiah moves 30 feet in an attempt to get into a range where he could hit everyone with Channel Energy if anyone gets seriously hurt.

Pent
2015-07-20, 07:34 AM
Pent takes a 5' step up. Shouts "Good work Rose! Close in, team!"

Swift Action: Mythic - Advance - all allies in 30' get to move at their speed.

Pent and Hilde move up.

Pent moves another 15' , restricted by the glue, but enough to ghet in striking distance. He swings with the flaming greatsword,

Attack roll
Buffs: Bull's Strength (+2), Bless (+1) magic weapon (+1) Power attack (-2)
[roll0]

Damage roll
Bull's Strength (str mod 7), Magic weapon (1), Power Attack (4+2), 2H weapon (3)
[roll1] + [roll2]

Rhikiah gets to move up before its Rose's turn.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-20, 08:38 AM
Pent moves with surprising alacrity, and his Marshal's call spurs everyone else to movement as well. Swinging his greatsword wrought of flame, the attacking man nearly parries the powerful blow before Pent calls on his deft training to change the momentum mid-swing and skewer the man through his gut. The attacker still lives and breathes, but he stands horrified, clinging to a scrap of life.

Rose uses Pent's order to lunge toward her opponent with her gleaming blade, only to pull back at the last second, hoping to set him off balance.
Rose uses her extra Move Action to us Improved Feint.
Bluff vs DC 15 = [roll0]

Rhikiah
2015-07-20, 08:23 PM
With fierce determination, Rhikiah runs up to greet Rose's target, appearing on the opposite side, his flaming shortspear in hand.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-21, 08:01 AM
The corner of Rose's mouth curls slightly when Rhikiah flanks her opponent. If her false attack hadn't set her foe off balance enough, being surrounded certainly would. Spinning with her blade in hand, Rose attempts to disembowel the man.

Rose Sneak Attacks the attacker before her.
Damage: [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-21, 08:12 AM
Rose slices shallow cuts in the man, but doesn't strike deep enough to take him down. However, her earlier strike has a lingering effect, and the man must attempt to tough out the poison once more.

Enemy Fort save number two: [roll0]
Rhikiah and Hilde can mop him up, she thinks to herself.

Concentrating, she shifts out of visibility once more, avoiding any retaliatory strikes from the man, and moves to flank Pent's quarry.
Swift action and 1 Ki to use Vanishing Trick, avoiding attacks of opportunity. Move action to flank Pent's opponent. End of turn.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-21, 08:17 AM
The man Rose attacked sways, as the venom enters his heart.
Attacker takes [roll0] Con damage.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-23, 12:59 PM
Con damage reduces the man's hp by a further [roll0] damage.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-23, 01:18 PM
Both men have been bloodied, but desperately strike out like wounded animals desperately clinging to hope. Pent's foe slashes at him with a wickedly curved blade, screaming in a wild snarl.
Attack against Pent with a sword.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Rhikiah's foes spins on him, dropping the club and also drawing a long, curved blade.
Attack against Rhikiah with a sword.
Attack Roll: [roll2]
Damage Roll: [roll3]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-23, 01:19 PM
Both blows are handily parried by sword and spear.

Pent
2015-07-23, 02:21 PM
Running north, putting herself between the foes, Hilde yells "DUCK!" as shards of rock explode from her body.

Shard Explosion (Su): As a swift action, you can cause jagged pieces of stone to explode outward from your body. These shards deal 1d6 points of piercing damage per two oracle levels (minimum 1d6) to all creatures within a 10-foot burst. A Reflex save DC15 halves this damage. In addition, the broken shards make the area difficult terrain until your next turn. You can use this ability once per day, plus one additional time per day at 5th level and every five levels thereafter.

[roll0]

She then launches one of her magic stones at Rhikiah's attacker.
attack roll [roll1]
dmg [roll2]

Rhikiah
2015-07-23, 08:20 PM
Thinking of his deceased friend, Rhikiah swings at the bloodied assailant.

Rhikiah's Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1] Physical Damage + [roll2] Fire Damage

AlphaLuke
2015-07-24, 06:03 AM
Hilde's launched stone is dodged by the man, and his sword catches Rhikiah's blow. Both men attempt to dodge the hail of stones that burst forth from Hilde, as does Rose and Rhikiah.
Reflex Saves vs Hilde's Shard Explosion:
Attacker (Pent's): [roll0]
Attacker (Rhikiah's): [roll1]
Rose: [roll2]
Rhikiah: [roll3]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-24, 06:11 AM
Everyone is able to duck from Hilde's blast, save the man swinging a sword at Pent. He catches a small stone to the back of the head with enough force that he staggers.
No one takes damage save Pent's attacker. He is at 0 hp and disabled.
Disabled (0 Hit Points)

When your current hit point total drops to exactly 0, you are disabled. You gain the staggered condition and can only take a single move or standard action each turn (but not both, nor can you take full-round actions). You can take move actions without further injuring yourself, but if you perform any standard action (or any other strenuous action) you take 1 point of damage after completing the act. Unless your activity increased your hit points, you are now at –1 hit points and dying. Healing that raises your hit points above 0 makes you fully functional again, just as if you'd never been reduced to 0 or fewer hit points. You can also become disabled when recovering from dying. In this case, it's a step toward recovery, and you can have fewer than 0 hit points.

Pent
2015-07-24, 06:41 AM
Pent makes an unarmed strike to knock out his adjacent attacker, then moves to within range of the other.

Attack
BS, Bless, Flank
[roll0]

damage (non-lethal)
BS
[roll1]

During his move, he morphs the Frozen Flame into a longsword and equips a large steel shield.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-24, 06:52 AM
With a swift kick to the jaw, Pent drops the man in front of him. Then, still struggling against the goop tangling him, he trudges towards the other opponent, drawing a shield and shrinking his sword down to longsword size.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-24, 06:58 AM
Rose also moves to the other man, still invisible, and moves to stab him while his back is turned.
Move to flank. Sneak Attack.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-24, 07:02 AM
Suddenly, a blade blossoms from the man's chest, and everyone sees Rose suddenly appear behind him. As she draws out her blade, the man slumps to the ground and begins bleeding out, unconscious, but dying.
All combattants neutralized. Initiative over. Post at will.

Pent
2015-07-27, 02:09 PM
Pent notices but ignores the dying bandit. First things first.

He instead walks over to the body of the panther and drops his hand on Rhikiah's shoulder.

"I'm sorry. He was a noble beast. Would you like to take the time to bury him here? I don't think I have a shovel though..."

Pent holds his frozen flame out, attempting to will it to change into a shovel.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-27, 03:20 PM
The sword-shaped fire resists the attempt, and stays a longsword.

Rose wipes the blood from her blade with a handkerchief and stows the blade back into its scabbard in a practiced motion. she intones a small prayer for the shadowcat, but lets Pent comfort his friend. Hilde, help me with these, will you? Rose motions towards the men on the ground.

Together with Hilde, Rose drags the three unconscious men out of the grass and into the road. During the endeavor, the man who was bleeding out stops breathing. The other two remain severely wounded, but stable. Rose begins to strip the men, searching through their belongings and leaving little but their small clothes behind.
Weapon stowed and re-hidden. Slight of Hand: [roll0]
Perception check to search the men. Perception: [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-07-27, 03:42 PM
Rose is able to root out the men's items and lay them across the road . Altogether, it's a chilling assortment that points to one profession. Slavers, Rose says and spits on the ground.

tanglefoot bags (4)
masterwork studded leather (3)
bolas (3)
masterwork katana (2)
masterwork sap
shortbow (3)
arrows (18)
spiked gauntlet
50ft hemp rope
torch (3)
15ft iron chain
drow poison (2 doses)
manacles (5)
ghillie suit (3)
120gp, 23sp, 15cp

Pent
2015-07-28, 08:02 AM
"Slavers" Pent says quietly through gritted teeth.

With half an idea brewing, he holsters his equipment and plucks a hair from the recently deceased.

"I bet there are more of them. We encountered a large group of them yesterday. Orcs. They were marching least 100 men, women, and children in chains."

Pent grabs a ghille suit.

"And these two can tell us where to find their partners."

AlphaLuke
2015-07-28, 09:06 AM
Examining of one of the katanas, Rose purses her lips and shuts one eye while thumbing the blade's edge. I think that plan might be getting ahead of ourselves. Slavery is legal along the Golden Way, and in the Waste. You'd be going up against a formidable and lucrative business, with more willing to take up the banner even if you shut down one operation. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last that I've encountered slavers on this road. The best you can hope for is to fight them off and keep yourself out of chains one more day. Those that you encountered before were either caught like we would've been, or bought legally at a market. The Yellowtooth Orcs run slaves along this road about once every moon. These poor sods, she kicks one of the living men on the ground, look like they're freelancers. They might've wanted us for market, or, looking carefully at Hilde rose lowers her voice, for sport.

Nodding approvingly at the sword, she sheathes the katana and slides it beneath the sash she uses as a belt at her hip. I can use this, and I think you might be able to use the other, Pent, if you use both hands. Rose smiles slightly but tries to hide it. She then bends and grabs the two vials of poison. Unless anyone has any objections, I can use these as well. The money we split, with the burial silver going to Rhikiah for the loss of his . . . companion, of course. Rose then cleanly divides the pile of coin into three piles, containing 40gp, 7sp, and 5cp. She hands the two extra silver pieces to Rhikiah. For the ferryman, she says somberly. May his journey be brief and his destination peaceful.

Turning to Pent, Rose leaves Rhikiah with his thoughts. Pent, we can't leave these men here. I say we turn a profit, chain them using their own manacles, and sell them in Almorel.

Pent
2015-07-28, 12:41 PM
"No!” shouts Hilde.

Pent nods, staring at the ground with his arms crossed, trying to decide what to do.

“No way Uncle Pent! We are not making money off slavery!”

“I agr-“

“We are not stooping to their level.”

“Hilde. I know.” Pent says with finality in his voice.

Turning to Rose. "Why can't we just leave them here? We'll be doing more for them than they gave any of their victims. Or if money is the concern, maybe they have bounties in Almorel?"

Rhikiah
2015-07-28, 10:31 PM
For the entire conversation, Rhikiah had been kneeling next to his friend, praying and gently stroking him, doing everything he could to stave off the tears. The life of a wild animal is full of danger in countless forms; despite this fact, Rhikiah still feels that this is yet another death that was caused because of his involvement in the creature's life. These attackers have denied this beautiful creature - his friend - its freedom, as well as the freedom of other people they have mugged or slain. He removes the necklace that was given to him by the tribeswoman and stores it with his other belongings. He is in deep prayer when he hears Rose suggest that these men should be sold in the next town.

After Pent and Hilde's objection, Rhikiah breaks his silence, "I'm in. Let's sell them." Without giving Pent or Hilde the chance to interject, he continues, "I don't give a damn about whatever money we receive. We can give it to the first beggar, the first church, the first orphanage we come across. At least, I'll gladly forfeit any amount of coin I stand to gain from such a decision. They took my friend from me and who knows how many other lives they have literally AND metaphorically stolen."

He feels he should stop but something in him won't let him, "We can't arrest them, they weren't breaking any laws, detestable as it may be. We COULD kill them outright but that would be killing unarmed men, for all I know, that could very well be illegal here. We could leave them out here to either let - or hope - nature or another group of people kills them which just shows we're too cowardly to do the act ourselves and we'd be JUST as responsible. It would still be as if we murdered them ourselves, we know what's out here so we can't pretend we're innocent in that scenario. There's also the chance that they escape and join their comrades. Sure, they'll be laughed at for having no clothes or weapons but they'll be let back in and they'll live to kill and trade another day. There's also a chance that by leaving them here, another group finds them and when they're de-gagged, "Help Help! We were mugged by a party of four bandits! They killed our friend!" and this group may trust them and give them a ride to the next area which means we could then get marks on our heads. Worse yet, the gullible family believes them and then these men kill them, take their goods and make it back to their group. And what if, for whatever reason, Marin decides to come back this way and he stumbles upon them? What do you think he'd do? What do you think would happen to him? No...we aren't going to leave them and just 'hope' that life teaches them a lesson."

At this point, Rhikiah knows he's also trying to convince himself as part of him dislikes this idea as well. He starts to take a deep breath and then rubs his forehead in thought. At this, Rhikiah then feels 'sticky'. He checks his hands and sees his hands drenched in Heinz's blood. The camel's back is broken, he will not go back with this, "No...for THEIR sakes, they better hope there are bounties on them in Almorel!"

AlphaLuke
2015-07-29, 08:22 AM
Rose keeps her mouth closed. It looks like the cleric is taking the loss of his pet worse than she anticipated. She loosens the katana in its scabbard with her thumb, just in case this argument comes to blows.

Pent
2015-07-29, 08:30 AM
Pent watches Rhikiah's speech with pity. He knows he wouldn't be able to keep himself together even that well if it had been Hilde who was shot.

Still....human trafficking...

"Alright, we'll bring them to Almorel. Hilde and I will find a decent cause to donate our share of the sale to. But on the journey, I'm making one thing clear - these are my prisoners. They will not be needlessly harmed."

Pent uses the manacles to bind the prisoners.

"Hilde, wake them up."

Hilde in a huff, casts Create Water over their heads.

AlphaLuke
2015-07-29, 08:48 AM
The men remain down, but are now soggy. One's eyes flutter open and his mouth moves wordlessly.

I think that their wounds will keep them relatively useless until they are healed. It may take days or weeks without magical assistance. Rose says disgustedly. Whatever her new friends intended, she wouldn't be giving any of her hard earned money from their sale away.

Perhaps healing them and forcing them to walk naked and barefoot while bound will give them reason for pause before trying to fight or flee?

Rhikiah
2015-07-29, 07:16 PM
Rhikiah sighs. "Pent, you have my word I won't harm them. However, they aren't 'your' prisoners. I know you fairly well and this is a situation where...as much as it I hate saying it, you aren't exactly trustworthy. I won't allow you to take any sort of ownership of them. In the event that we cannot find any applicable bounties, I won't grant you the ability to set them free simply because they were 'yours to do with' and you didn't want to go through with it. I won't harm them but I also won't let that happen either."

Rhikiah takes another long deep breath and uses the bandit's shirts and pants and attempts to wrap and cover Heinz. "I would like to take him with us for now. I can cast spells to keep him from decaying. With any luck, we will stumble upon a shovel or someone with one that won't mind us borrowing it or even paying for it outright."

Pent
2015-07-29, 10:27 PM
Pent leans in close to Rhikiah to whisper "You don't know ****. I'm going to let that go because you're in grief. But the next time you accuse me of going back on my word to you , you better have some gods damn evidence."

AlphaLuke
2015-07-30, 06:32 AM
Hoping to cut the tension, Rose picks up the second katana and pulls Rhikiah aside.

I mourn for your loss. You have my sympathies. But for the time being, would you please channel some healing? I'd like to get moving with these two murderers before nightfall, and we'll be slow going with bound prisoners walking behind us.

Rhikiah
2015-08-04, 08:48 PM
Rhikiah, receives the exact response he was looking for in Pent and then turns to look at Rose and nods. "All right." He then closes his eyes, grasps his holy symbol and lets out a burst of healing energy. He does not single uninjured people out, as he does not want the energy to heal the prisoners up too much.

Everyone receives [roll0] healing

AlphaLuke
2015-08-10, 02:33 PM
Both prisoners stop bleeding as their wounds knit themselves up. Their eyes flutter open and they stare up at the group, naked and afraid. One of the men is rail thin, pale, and shaky while the other looks about as broad as he is tall, with a cropped fringe of brown hair clinging to the top of his otherwise shining skull. The shaky man speak up, with a heavy accent that neither Pent nor Rhikiah have encountered yet.

Please . . . sirs. Ve Vill not tell anyvone ov your travelings. Ve only vished to capture you, not kill. Ve can pay many trade barz if you release us.

The balding heavy man shakes his head emphatically, grinning with a mouth full of 4 rotten teeth.

Pent
2015-08-10, 06:27 PM
"Shut up!" Pent barks.

"Be quiet, march, attempt no escape, and no harm will come to you on our trip to Almorel."

Pent squats down to look into the prisoner's eyes. "You are alive today only because I will it. That makes you my responsibility. You breathe today because I thought you could be useful. Become more trouble than you are worth and I WILL mercilessly rectify that mistake."

Pent lowers his voice into a growl and brandishes his Frozen Flame into a short sword, holding it up to each of their necks.

"I despise slavery. Killing you two in order to avoid practicing myself would be a giant relief. If you try to escape, or harm my friends, I will relish your death."

[roll0]

Pent
2015-08-11, 07:00 AM
rerolling the intimidate check[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-11, 07:30 AM
The men nearly swallow their tongues. Pent smells the distinct odor of urine coming from the fat man. they both stumble to their feet while holding their chains and keep their eyes downcast.

Pent is sufficiently convinced that they won't be any trouble for at least [roll0] × 20 minutes.

Sheathing her new blades, Rose sniffs loudly at the mostly naked men and prods them forward with the tip of her scabbarded sword, keeping them in front of her as she walks.

Best take what you want, lads. I think we should get this filth walking and securely camped before nightfall.

After the men gather their things, and Rhikiah hefts Heinz over his shoulder, they begin to trudge Westward.

The prisoners remain quiet for a while, and soon them happen upon a local pig farmer. Rose buys a shovel from his wheelbarrow for a copper and hands it to Rhikiah.

We can bury him tonight. You can find a spot that speaks to you.

Rhikiah
2015-08-12, 06:40 PM
"I will. Thank you Rose. Let's...keep going. The sooner we get to Almorel, the sooner this ordeal all be over." Rhikiah glances over his shoulder at the prisoners, glares, and continues on.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-15, 08:20 PM
The sun touches the western mountains as Rose walks the bound men off to the side of the road. A green pasture of cropped grass with a small creek provides a likely campsite.

She binds the chains holding the captives to the stout tree, taking her time to ensure no loose locks or slipped knots. Then, she begins to pitch her tent and set out her bedroll.

Pent, would you mind making a campfire for the night? Hilde, can you get some fresh water on the boil? I think we should let Rhikiah have whatever time he needs. Tearing a hunk of bread in two, she tosses it at the men. Eat. We can't have you dragging us down.

Pent
2015-08-17, 10:28 AM
Pent and Hilde gather kindling from the area.

Feeling lazy, Pent uses his flaming sword to ignite the campfire. They set a pot up on the campfire and Hilde fills it with water, setting it to boil.

They set up their own tents. And afterwards sit by the campfire.

"Rose, do you speak Celestial?" Pent asks.

He also glances at the prisoners to try to determine if they understand the language.

[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-17, 10:47 AM
Rose almost chokes on a hunk of hard, salty cheese she is eating.

Celestial!? No! What, do I look like a priest? Not much use for the language of the high and mighty out here.

She goes back to eating the hard cheese and dry bread, and begins to fill a small copper kettle from the boiling pot. She unfolds a paper packet and dumps the dried herbs within into the pot. The aroma from the kettle smells floral and medicinal. She produces a small clay cup from her bags and pours a small dram for herself. Smelling, smiling, then gently tasting the tea, her smile grows and she settles in against a felled log. Would anyone like some herbal tea? It's my own blend and it's quite good.

Pent
2015-08-17, 10:54 AM
"Tea sounds great." Pent says. "Yes, please." says Hilde.

"Rose, I'm grateful for all the aid you've provided us after barely knowing us. All the attention you've given to Rhikiah & Heinz."

"I'm also glad you haven't tried to kill us in our sleep" He says with a chuckle.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-17, 02:32 PM
Smiling, Rose pulls two more clay cups from her pack and pours for the pair.

It's really no problem. You all look like an interesting group, and I hitch my wagon to interesting groups. Leaves me with good stories. Putting down the kettle and raising her cup to her lips, she smile mischievously at Pent. And as for the killing you, all men must die, but I will do all I can to ensure you aren't killed before your name is spoken. Who knows, the night is young. He capricious smile reveals the sarcasm as she drinks from her tea.

Pent
2015-08-17, 02:47 PM
"In that case, I think I'm good on tea..." Pent says with a smile as he pretends to set down his cup.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-18, 06:31 AM
HA! No worries yet my friend. The tea is exactly what it appears. Warm and delicious. Taking another long sip, she smiles at the pair. So, Pent, tell me of home. Tell me of what brings you to my half of the globe.

Pent
2015-08-18, 09:50 AM
Pent's smile fades.

"Nothing happy. We've been sent here for reasons unknown by an entity that we barely understand. Its killed friends and family or anyone close to us. Its barely tried to communicate WHY we're its new targets. But we survive."

"We only really know one thing about him: his name. Demerest. Back west in Faerun he's called the Boogeyman, or the Lord of Fear."

Rhikiah
2015-08-18, 11:15 PM
When camp had been made, Rhikiah had started digging a grave for Heinz 10-20 feet away from camp. Using each thrust of the shovel to let out the anger but not enough to lose control, this was his only shovel and he made sure he kept that in mind.

Overhearing Pent saying that was, 'all we know', Rhikiah interjects with, "That's not necessarily true." He stops digging, and walks over to them. "There is more to the story but only enough to raise even more questions. Whatever this Demerest is, he killed my parents but I do not know why. My parents lived in Rashemen many years ago but they abruptly left and never told me why. I believe they fled from there and I believe this Demerest is part of, if not THE, reason as to why. Because of this, something mysterious has been guiding me...it's just a voice - a voice that occasionally speaks to me via some necromantic conduit, generally a skull. I haven't heard the voice in some time...perhaps I had gone mad with grief. I don't know."

"What I do know is that the voice, whatever it is, lead me to Pent and our now absent friend as well as a few other people who are no longer with us. We happened to disrupt a plan Demerest had by using witches and ogres to kidnap, kill and eat children. After this, Pent, Meera and Jordanis - a wealthy wizard that traveled with us - started having the important people in their life die. Demerest made sure we knew it was him behind this. Also, Demerest was able to take the shape of a rather arrogant cleric who had recently left this group. What we do know is that he is very much aware of us and is quite knowledgeable of who we are. There is a chance he is watching us at this very moment and it means he is well aware of who you are. Any further aid you give may make you or your friends and family targets. I hate giving so much information to someone with enemies so close but...I won't have another death on my hands just because it was more convenient to say nothing at all."

Rhikiah grabs his shovel, ready to go back and finish the job but waits to hear if Rose or anyone else wishes to say anything before he starts to stand up.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-19, 10:53 AM
Rose seems shocked by both the story and the revelation that Rhikiah hears voices from skulls. I . . . I'm sorry about your family. And you friends as well. I've traveled thru Rashemen before. It's an odd country, ruled by mysterious witches and savage barbarians, but they seems to fight for the light more often than not. I've never heard the name Demerest before, but I think I know of a similar tale. He's called Daddy Longfingers in my homeland and he's used to frighten children into eating vegetables.

If you've caught his eye, I'm very impressed that you all are still alive. I do not fear the dark, but I can only hope that he will not trouble you too much this far from your home.

Rhikiah, do you want any help with your burden? I'm not so delicate that I cannot dig a hole.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-24, 08:08 AM
Eventually, night closes in around the group in earnest and they retire to their respective tents with Rhikiah taking the first watch.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-24, 08:10 AM
The cleric hears the howl of the wind and the chitter of nightbugs, but nothing out of the ordinary. The night is calm and cool, with a full dome of stars adorning the sky and a crescent moon looking down on the camp.

Eventually, he awakens Pent for his watch.
Perception check please.

Pent
2015-08-24, 08:19 AM
Pent wakes up Hilde to keep watch with him.

Making small talk through the night, they feel comfortable with each other. It feels like the old days, back years ago when Uncle Pent took her camping. It felt like home.

The worries melt away and they both feel happy.

Hilde:
Pent: [roll[1d20+9

Pent
2015-08-24, 08:20 AM
rolls fixed:
Hilde: [roll0]
Pent: [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-24, 08:38 AM
Both Pent and Hilde find the night pleasant. They talk of roasting fish over an open fire and singing old camp tunes. They hear the song of the night, and the snoring from the prisoners they've taken. Rose wakes herself and relieves the pair slightly before the witching hours of the morning.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-24, 10:06 AM
The Sun rises and somewhere in the distance a rooster heralds the dawn. Rose has brewed a strong tea for the adventurers as they rise, and works to pack her things quickly. The captives, although cold and tired, are alive and grumbling.
You are entitled to another Diplomacy or Intimidate check if you'd like. If you don't want to stop at the temple of Chauntea, I can fastrack us to Almorel.

Pent
2015-08-24, 10:16 AM
Pent takes out his Everfull Mug, and magically fills it with red wine. He pours two very small amounts (a small swig each) into two cups. He offers the remainder of the mug to Rose.

He hands the small cups to the prisoners.

"Thank you for your cooperation yesterday. As a token of our appreciation, have a small bit of wine. You can have more tonight if you continue not making trouble."

Yesterday was the stick, today's the carrot.[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-24, 12:47 PM
Both men take their wine greedily and scrape and bow to Pent, muttering promises and oaths that they will behave.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-25, 09:35 AM
The next two days of travel are largely unnoteworthy. The group passes several peddlers and farmers on the road and are able to talk and laugh while keeping a careful watch of their prisoners. The nights are cold and quiet, while the days are full of gentle breezes rustling the long grass of the Endless Wastes. The adventurers cross over the Mistvein River, which feeds into the Lake of Mists, and arrive in Almorel (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3e/5f/71/3e5f7197a7008dea7057da4ab4658e14.jpg) just as the sun peeks over the Eastern horizon on the third day.

The city is just starting to wake as our company strides through the open gates. Bakers are putting out steaming loaves and fisherman back from the Lake of Mists are pushing wheelbarrows full of fat, fresh fish. The people of Almorel are short, and dark of skin and hair, although the occasional foreigner stands out in the crowd. The people wear peculiar hairstyles and dress, with some men wearing elaborate braids and some women half-shaving their heads to reveal intricate tattoos along their scalps. Some dress plainly in woolens with stout shoes, while some dress flamboyantly in flowing silks and gilt jewelry. Several nobles in thin, flowing silks are followed by meek attendants in white. The attendants wear silver collars with a single, symbolic chain link hanging from the front. Slaves, and by the look of them very expensive slaves. Suddenly, Pent sees it: The first Airship he's ever laid eyes on. The vessel glides over the city to dock with a tall tower near the North end of town. It's hull is striped with gold and blue and it bears a stylized hawk painted upon its sails. The nearly naked men that are being towed by our adventurers is beginning to draw some disgusted eyes.

Pent
2015-08-25, 10:37 AM
Pent stares in amazement at the airships.

Hilde, less entranced by the airships and more disgusted by participating in slavery blurts out "let's find the auction block and be rid of our baggage"

"mmmm, and some rope." Pent says to himself with a smirk, still staring up.

Hilde gives him a quizzical look.

Pent wakes from his reverie. "Hilde, you ever been to a town this big?" She shakes her head.

"Keep your ear to the ground. There's 2000 things going on, almost none of them any good. But its hidden, in the shadows. You'll never sense it coming head on. They can feel the goodness on your heart. Its on your face."

A darkness clouds his face.

"The things you hear when you look passed out on a table in a seedy bar..."

Hilde feels that pang of pity for her Uncle again. The once strong and happy man brought down by his despair. Constantly struggling against himself to be happy again.

"C'mon, let's find the market."

AlphaLuke
2015-08-25, 01:04 PM
Rose tries her best to fill the rest of the group in on the goings on of Almorel, and of the notable people and places in town.
Knowledge Local: [roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-25, 02:23 PM
Almorel

Large City
Population ~15,000
Exports: Steel, Copper, Slaves, Horses
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Government: Council of Nine

Almorel is a cosmopolitan yet primarily Human trade city on the Golden Way. Almorel is located on the southeastern shores of the Lake of Mists where the Golden Way runs alongside it. It is the last caravan stop before entering the Endless Waste.

The city is notable for containing a House Lyrandar Skyport. It is the most eastward that a House sanctioned Skyport has been built so far, although intrepid skyship captains still travel east to Shao on occasion for the right price. The Half-Elves of House Lyrandar sometimes maintain apartments in the city but usually live upon their ships. The Council of Nine and the Iron Watch have no jurisdiction within the House Lyrandar Skyport and they have their own police force.

The House Thundrask banking collective also maintains a chapter house within the city's walls. The Gold Dwarves of House Thundrask live in a series of tunnels beneath the city. Traditionally, Humans are not allowed down in the tunnels but the Dwarves have set up a small guest house and bank to receive Human visitors on the surface. The Dwarves do not speak openly about their underground homes which elicits much rumormongering of the secret treasures the Dwarves keep down there. Like House Lyrandar, the Dwarves police themselves and deny jurisdiction to the Council of Nine and the Iron Watch.

Almorel's citizenry is mostly made up of Humans who are either dark of skin and hair, as with Tuigan stock, or tan of skin with dark hair as Shaoanti. Almorel also has several smaller populations of other species, most notably Gold Dwarves, Nezumi (Ratfolk), and Half-Orcs. There are around the same number of people with Gray Orc blood living in Almorel as there are Nezumi, with the number of full-blooded Orcs being outnumbered five-to-one by their Half-Orc kin. Rock Gnomes make up the last hundred or so citizens.

Almorel possesses wooden walls and an ancient six-storey wooden tower fortress called the Krathi which is painted black and serves as the city's seat of government, the Council of Nine. The Council is comprised of 2 representatives from House Lyrandar, 2 from House Thundrask, and 5 floating seats of various mercantile, political, or military power. The Council holds elections every ten years, with the citizenry able to elect new members of the 5 floating seats seats. The current council is made up of:

Honith Lyrandar (Male Half-Elf Ari4/Exp5)
Junali Lyrandar (Female Half-Elf Wiz11)
Dov Thundrask (Male Gold Dwarf Ftr3/Exp3/Clr2)
Thraix Thundrask (Male Gold Dwarf Ftr7/Rog4)
Jeneth Dolaria (Male Human Com5/Brw5)
Kestrel Formouth (Female Human Exp3/Rog7)
Portia Orgesdottr (Female Human Brb11)
Minx Thistlespark (Female Gnome Wiz3/Rog6)
Tien Shu (Female Human Ari3/Mnk7)

Additional research is required to learn more about these people.
The city is also defended by a police force called the Iron Watch. Almorel enjoys being mostly ignored by the Tuigan hordes.

The Main districts of Almorel are: Mudgate, The Tunnels, The Bazaar, The Fleshworks, The Port, and the Crown Quarter.

Mudgate houses most of the common folk of Almorel and is located on the Northwest side of the city just south of The Port. It contains lively taverns and gambling houses, but becomes dangerous for the uninitiated at night. Most of the Half-Orcs of Amorel live in Mudgate.

The Tunnels house the Gold Dwarf population of Almorel. Little is known of this district save that the entrances are large stone doors that are guarded by stoic dwarven defenders.

The Bazaar sits squarely in the center of Almorel and is the main center for trade within the city. As the last major trade city along the Golden Way, the Bazaar sees exotic spices, strange weapons, and colorful birds flow through it daily. Most shops and stalls are open from dawn till dusk, and nicely kept taverns and theatres keep the district alive late into the night.

The Fleshworks is the slave market of Almorel. Situated southeast of The Port, the Fleshworks is full of cages, auction blocks, and rows and rows of slaves. The Iron Watch mostly keeps out of the Fleshworks and leaves the discipline of the slaves to the mercenaries hired by the slaving companies. Slaves of a thousand races and species are available for purchase here, as well as exotic animals.

The Port contains the shipping docks in the Lake of Mists as well as the House Lyrandar Skyport. Trade good and slave ships dock her on their way west or east from the lake. This district also contains the "red light" area of Almorel. The seedy taverns and bawdy houses cater to everyone from sailors to wealthy merchants. Most of the "workers" in these establishments are either enslaved or indentured servants.

The Crown Quarter retains its name from the time when Almorel was ruled by a King. Although that time is long past, the name remains. The district is located in the South of Almorel. The Crown Quarter houses the upper class of the city and contains the Krathi, from Which the Council of Nine rules with absolute authority. Fine restaurants, inns, shops, and taverns are made of beautiful dwarven stonework and cater to the most elite clientele.

Pent
2015-08-25, 02:52 PM
A human Barbarian sitting on the council? Portia sounds pretty hot. Pent thinks to himself.

"Sounds like we're headed to the Fleshworks to get rid our baggage. Then we should make our way to The Bazaar."

Also m I don't think I've messed around with a gnome before but...Minx.

Rhikiah
2015-08-25, 09:51 PM
Rhikiah nods to Pent, hating what he is about to do. While walking to the auction block, Rhikiah asks Rose, "What kinds of animals are put up for auction? How do their prices compare to people? If I can buy a creature's freedom, I'd be interested in trying."

Pent
2015-08-26, 09:41 AM
"Good idea. I will put my share of the profits towards a new companion for you. I'll consider it an investment towards our safety."

Hilde thinks about it and reluctantly agrees.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-27, 09:45 AM
Smirking at her companions, Rose has no intention of giving up her share of the profits. Sure, she feels sympathetic about Rhikiah's cat, but she has a use for this gold.

I've seen almost anything at the Fleshworks. Lots of slaves, horses, elephants, shadowcats, and even a couple of bears from Rashemen last I looked. Slaves are always worth the most, but I imagine you should be able to find something to suit your needs for a new animal companion.

Making their way to the Fleshworks, the group draws lots of eyes. Aasimars aren't common in this part of the world, and a metallic man would draw eyes anywhere. The Fleshworks themselves smell heavily of sweat, blood, and feces. The sounds of women screaming in foreign tongues and men weeping fill the air. The occasional crack of a whip and curse of a slaver is clear over the din. Pent, Rhikiah, and Hilde see families being broken apart. Several of the people look to be of the same race as the tribesfolk who provided shelter to the group almost a week past. Lions roar, horses whinny, and elephants trumpet, only adding to the noise that assaults the group. Upon seeing the two naked slavers being dragged behind the group, several of the men milling about point and laugh at their captured comrades. A rough looking fellow (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/88/13/c2/8813c251360527c60a7fa181a022b664.jpg) walks up to Pent and gestures to the chained men. His voice is rough and obviously not used to the Common tongue.

You sell?

Anyone in the group is entitled to diplomacy or intimidate to haggle for a good price. The highest roll will be used, with all others counting as Aid Another.

Rose Diplomacy: [roll0]

Pent
2015-08-27, 09:59 AM
Pent steels his face. Showing nothing. But he imagines snapping the neck of the man in front of him. He pictures himself leaping to the aid of the screaming children. He wants to break the arm of the scum with a whip grinning with each strike. But in each scenario he imagines, he and Hilde are killed by the dozens of slavers around him.

He is powerless, and he hates himself for his inaction.

Hilde winces in pain at hearing every crack of the whip.

Nonetheless, they attempt to help negotiate a good price so they can get the hell out of here.

Pent: [roll0]
Hilde: [roll1]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-28, 09:04 PM
Rose and Pent help Hilde negotiate a good price for their slaves. Together, the pair nets our adventurers a tidy 80 gold pieces. The men wail as their bonds are unlocked and they're shoved into the crates packed full of men and women.

Rose takes her 20 gp and pockets them while walking over to the beast cages. It looks like some of these might be in your price range, Rhikiah. Pointing out the cages, she translates the signs on them.

Shadowcat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Cat-Big) - 40gp
Hunting Hound (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Dog) - 30gp
Eastern Gray Elephant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Elephant-Mastodon) - 450gp
Tuigan Stallion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Horse) - 60gp
Plains Hyena (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Hyena) - 25gp
Rashemi Mountain Goat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Ram) - 20gp
Plains Red Rhino (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Rhinoceros) - 250gp
Dimondback Death (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Snake-Viper) - 15gp
Great Vulture (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Vulture-Giant) - 15gp
Mistwood Wolf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Wolf) - 25gp

Pent
2015-08-31, 09:07 AM
Pent watches as the slavers are thrown into a cage.

At least they won't hurt others.

Realizing that he just took money from slavery, he hands Rhikiah his and Hilde's shares of the sale.

"Free a good animal. We'll be near the Bazaar. A nice quiet inn or bar."

He looks again at the cage packed full. He spits on the ground in disgust, but the taste remains.

They go to leave the Fleshworks.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 10:41 AM
Leaving the fetid stench of the Fleshworks, Pent, Hilde, and Rose make their way South, into the Bazaar. Suddenly, they are assaulted with a whole new set of sights and scents. The Bazaar is full of jabbering merchants haggling over everything from fish to jewelry to artifacts pulled from lost tombs. Spices fill the air, mixed with the aromatic smells of incense. Men sit outside small inns and cafes sipping dark, bitter brews. Occasionally, the merchants hold up items to Pent or Hilde's faces, trying their best to hawk their wares in a broken Common.

Sugar dates! Very fresh! Sharp swords, you like? Pretty necklace for little lady?

If you two won't mind, I have a quick stop to make in the Bazaar before we find accommodations. Rose (http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/99/bc/92/99bc9244225a89b40dead6f7078d70d6.jpg) deftly weaves her way through the crowds, making her way to a small cart attended by an aging woman. (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/2e/60/6e2e60dd2318b09b01f68a7535073d85.jpg) The two hug and exchange what look and sound like pleasantries in a soft and quick language that neither Pent nor Hilde can understand. The older woman looks suspiciously at Pent and Hilde before Rose pats her arm and seems to reassure her. Rose pulls a satchel from her belt pouch and unfolds it to reveal a bundle of delicate purple flowers. The older woman smiles, takes the pouch in both hands, and places it on the cart. The woman the hands Rose a leather script, and two small vials. She then smiles at Rose, kissing her on each cheek and hugging her before waving farewell.
[roll0]
Pent and Hilde are entitled to Perception checks.
Rose seems to make the script and vials disappear in the folds of her skirts, then walks back to Pent and Hilde smiling. An old friend, just doing a little herb trading. Now, let's find us an inn. And I have just the place! She then begins walking briskly towards a row of buildings at the edge of the large market square.

Pent
2015-08-31, 10:51 AM
Pent and Hilde find their stomachs less tightened as they enter the market. No more whips or wailing children. Men trying to sell sugar dates and pistachios is slightly less threatening.

Though the commotion of the market is still more than Hilde is used to from her old life in a quiet village.

When the old woman scowls at Pent he flashes a goofy smile and wave.

They watch on Rose's interaction with the old woman.
Pent[roll0]
Hilde[roll1]

Pent
2015-08-31, 10:58 AM
Mythic Surge
Perception: 27+[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 11:04 AM
Pent notices the old woman slip a sealed envelope into Rose's hand during the hug between them. Rose then fluidly slipped the envelope into her skirts. It was so deft and quick, (especially for an old woman) Pent wouldn't have believed it unless he had seen it with his own eyes.

Pent
2015-08-31, 11:16 AM
Pent and Hilde follow Rose to wherever she leads.

But Pent can't hide his puzzled face. Now that's odd. If the old woman had a message for Rose, why not just sell it as a recipe during the course of normal business. Well because they don't need to, they are both that quick. They must not want anyone to think there is a message passed between them. Which means they have a specific enemy they're wary of... Definitly something to ask once we sit down.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 11:37 AM
Rose leads the two to a white plastered building.The wooden sign hanging off of the front shows a coiled viper, striped with green and gold patterns in chipping paint. The writing beneath reads "The Sleeping Serpent Inn". Opening the door and walking through, the two are pleasantly surprised to see a mostly empty common area (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0a/55/60/0a55608e9d52edec15d4c6455736ec45.jpg). The inn itself seems well maintained and smells of fresh sawdust upon the floor. Rose takes a long whiff and smiles contentedly.

She sits at a table with Pent and Hilde. Before long a pale woman with black hair and green eyes (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/79/df/b9/79dfb9860f555dc709704952f4cd240e.jpg) walks out of a room behind the bar and brings three pewter mugs of cool ale for the table. Pent can barely believe his eyes! This woman could be Rose's sister, no, perhaps a cousin. The two even seem to share similar mannerisms and ways of moving. The woman is clearly Sembian, as she saunters out to the table and smiles a very practiced smile.

Good to see you again, Lily, Rose says while lifting the mug to her lips. Rose's eyes, however, never leave the woman's face. The woman smiles. And you, Rose. You have new friends? Welcome to the Sleeping Serpent. I'm Lily. Red will be out shortly to see to your accommodations. In the mean time, are you hungry? Thirsty for more than ale? I can have a roast chicken and some bread to you table in no time at all.

Pent
2015-08-31, 11:54 AM
Beautiful women, free food and beer, peace and quiet? Pent's happy as a clam.

He's so happy, he forgets that he's staring at the waitress with a lazy smile on his face saying nothing.

Hilde elbows Pent to get him to say something, or at least pick his tongue off the table. The loud clang echoes across the empty room.

"Uh, thank you, chicken would be wonderful."

Hilde hides her hand in her face, shaking her head and chuckling.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 12:24 PM
Lily smiles and disappears behind to the bar into the kitchen.

Rose leans in to the table so that only Pent and Hilde can hear. In a moment, Red will come out here and arrange for our accommodations. He'll see you two and ask for a gold a night per person, and another gold for food and drink. I'll laugh it off and get him down to a silver per person per night and two silver for food and drink. And you, loverboy, Lily chews up and spits out five men like you before midday. Watch yourself.

Just then, a handsome man with flaming red hair (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1f/1b/74/1f1b74ad834b92514185d9282c4894e9.jpg) comes out of the kitchen beaming. Rose! You can't be back from Shao already. How's the old man? Rose stands and lets Red kiss her on both cheeks. He's well! Sleeping off his retirement money in the seediest taverns in Selgaunt. And you? You still running the dirtiest tavern in Almorel? She smiles while delivering the jab.

The two continue on for some time like that. Just as Rose said, the man asks for two gold per person per night for room and board. She gets him to finally agree to three silver per night per person for room and board, with Red moaning about how she's putting him out of business. Soon thereafter, Lilly comes to the table to refill the groups ale and brings out a large roast chicken seasoned with rosemary and a crusty bread that's still steaming. Red brings the adventurers belonging up to their rooms for them while they eat. The room is empty and quiet.

Pent
2015-08-31, 12:30 PM
Not stupid enough to ask about the envelope just yet, Pent makes small talk to Rose.

"Sorry about my behavior earlier, I was just startled to see a twin of you. Is she your sister?"

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 12:39 PM
Rose nearly chokes on a chicken bone.

Lily?! No. No, she isn't my sister. She's . . . a friend. From back home in Sembia.
Bluff: [roll0]
Sense Motive if you have any reason to not believe her.

Pent
2015-08-31, 12:43 PM
Right about now it clicks to Pent that the reason Rose and the old Lady were so secretive about the envelope was they didn't want him to see it.

That realization, the obvious facial similarities and her choking on a bone to such an innocent question leads Pent to suspect something more is happening.

[roll0]

heh heh heh, choking on a bone

Pent
2015-08-31, 01:02 PM
Pent's voice drops to a whisper. "Alright look, I'm not going to beat around the bush anymor-"

"Have you ever?" Hilde interrupts, absolutely not whispering.

Pent sighs, and continues "These last few days you've gotten to know me well enough to know I wear my heart on my sleeve. You know we will be happy to help you with whatever trouble you may have. I am willing to trust you. But in order for us to survive, we have have to trust each other."

"That said, I saw the old lady hand you an envelope. I want to know why she couldn't have passed you the message in plain sight. Why use such skill to hide a letter from me?"

Hilde is shaking her head.

"I know this is rude. I do. I'm sorry I don't have the guile of you or Meera. I hope you can at least appreciate that I waited until we were alone to ask. "

If a diplomacy check will help: [roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 01:21 PM
Rose stops drinking her ale. She looks over her mug at Pent and slowly puts it down on the table.

You saw that did you? Rose looks conflicted. Like she's on the verge of either drawing a blade or running out the door. Pent notices that her hands have disappeared below the table. The looks stoic and poised, but also like a snake coiled and ready to strike. Well, it was bound to come out eventually. I agree with you, Pent, in order for us to survive we have have to trust each other. You have trusted me, and I should invest some trust in you. I could simply lie to you, and that would be that. But I think that would not work very well in the long run. I am, for want of a better term, an assassin. Meda, that woman you saw, is one of my handlers. She handed me my next assignment. I, and others like me, do this work as assigned by our organization. That is also how I know Lily, and Red. They are also part of my organization.

Waiting with baited breath, Rose prepares for the hostility. Prepares to fight her way out of this if need be.

Pent
2015-08-31, 01:31 PM
Pent says nothing. He nods, and speaks very slowly.

Hilde is too frightened to say anything or move a muscle.

"Okay. Here I sit, in a den of assassins, in a city where I am a stranger. Of course, I have no choice but to continue to trust you. You trusted me, and you will see hat your trust is well placed."

He sits back, relaxes completely, and downs the last of his ale.

"Do you have rules on marks?"

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 01:43 PM
Rose breathes. Her hands rise and fold on the table, releasing the daggers they had been grasping.

Well, I take assignments as they come. I don't choose my own "marks". The organization I work for doesn't take contracts on children, but almost anyone else is possible. The more difficult or influential, the higher the price. I believe very strongly that what I'm doing is right for the world, as does everyone in the organization. The deer needs the wolf to cull the herd and prevent starvation. So too does the forest need the fire to grow anew. I was trained in Shao, raised in the life. I've never known anything else. I'd take my own life if my name was spoken.

Pent
2015-08-31, 01:47 PM
"Influential. So there is a real reason for each mark. You don't target Brobert just because he bought the last avacado from the fruit vendor."

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 01:51 PM
No. I have specific targets that are assigned by my handlers. They may be a Duke, and they may be a fruit vendor. It doesn't matter. But I'm allowed to kill in defense of my own life, or in defense of my team. It is strictly forbidden to accept private contracts or to assassinate without orders.

Pent
2015-08-31, 01:54 PM
"What about using independent contractors? Does your organization allow that?"

Hilde does a double take. "What?!"

"Shh, its just a question."

"Uncle Pent.." she says with an edge of warning

"Hilde, enough!" he says in a harsh whisper.

AlphaLuke
2015-08-31, 02:06 PM
Not exactly, no. But agents like me often embed themselves into groups that move about. It helps provide for a good cover story. There is no prohibition against me getting help on assignments. There may be times when you won't want to help.

Pent
2015-08-31, 02:11 PM
"Well" Pent sips his ale "You ever need help with someone that really deserves getting dead."

"Or a distraction. I can be a great distraction." he says with a wink.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 08:55 AM
"Hmmm, well that's certainly more than I expected . . . well now that everything is out in the open, let's see what this new contract is."

Rose draws a tiny dagger and pulls the piece of parchment from her skirts. The red wax seal upon the parchment is impressed with the symbol of a rose in full bloom. Rose works the dagger carefully around the wax seal in a precise and practiced cutting method. Without taking her eyes from the seal she speaks softly to Pent. "The seal has a poison tipped needle embedded in it. If I were to break it with my thumb like anyone else, I'd get a nasty surprise."

Finally prying the seal loose, she unfolds the letter and reads it quietly for the table.

My Dearest Friend,

I am delighted that you have made it to the West once more. I hope you are well, and have found fortune in your travels. I have heard news that you found a great amount of steel and furs to be traded or invested in. I hope these ventures prove fruitful. I myself have come upon a great sum of aurum prospecting in the mountains of the witches. I would greatly appreciate your help with the acceptance and distribution of the shipment coming East within the week. The aurum travels via the Skywarden, a vessel of middling size but great defensive capability. The captain is a pleasant fellow and will deal with you once my seal (included) is presented. Please be wary of the Boatswain. He is a crude and licentious drunk on the best of days and a common ruffian on the worst. I hope to see you soon in the witches' wood.

Your Faithful Friend,
Black

Rose folds the letter carefully and slips it back into her skirts. So, they know I'm with you two and Rhikiah and approve, however cautiously. They want the contract taken against the Boatswain of the Skywarden, a skyship coming to port within a week. The captain will provide payment . . . and possibly passage. The target is fond of women, wine, and fighting. I will next see a contract in Rashemen. Got it?

Pent
2015-09-01, 09:12 AM
"Being drunk and rude is hardly a reason to kill a man..." Hilde says cautiously as she pats Pent's leg under the table.

Pent nods. "The ship is going where we were planning to go. I believe Rhikiah's family is from those woods (but my geography knowledge is limited, and I may be wrong). So we'll accompany you. Out of curiosity, is there a punishment in your...guild? if you don't carry out your mission?"

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 09:14 AM
Taking a sip from her mug, Rose nonchalantly says. Death.

Pent
2015-09-01, 09:17 AM
"Nice group of folks you're with..."

"Well, we'll accompany you. Who knows, maybe this guy is a real scumbag and the world will be better off without him."

"Or he attacks you." Hilde says.

"Or he attacks us"

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 09:43 AM
Oh, don't think us cruel, Hilde. The rules are just ironclad. If someone began to pick and choose what contracts to fulfil, there'd be chaos. We have to have absolute surety that the contract will be carried out. Now, that isn't saying that they're taken with speed or carelessness. There are certain contracts years old where the chosen agents have simply been waiting for the opportune moment. Rose take another drink of her ale.

But for this man, I plan on culling him while the Skywarden is docked. So I think I have about two days to prepare and two days to fulfil the contract.

Lily returns to the table, smiling, to take away empty plates and refill empty mugs.

Pent
2015-09-01, 09:48 AM
"Well, I like the part where I got called a 'great amount of steel'." Pent says with a wink to Lily.

"Thank you for the food and drink. Everything was delicious." he says while she picks up the plates. "Lily, we're looking to offload some treasures we've acquired while travelling. What's a magic shop around here you prefer?"

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 09:54 AM
Lily's smile widens at Pent.

Well, you could always try the "Wyvern's Tale". I hear that old Eoin has found a windfall since that old crypt outside town opened up. People keep buying his items for exploring it. He should be able to accommodate you. Eyeing the table knowingly she adds, And he has a . . . special selection that he keeps up for us.

Pent
2015-09-01, 09:58 AM
"In that case, we'll be sure that Rose says hi to her old friend." Pent says.

"What was that about an old crypt opening up?" Hilde asks.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 10:01 AM
. . .

A small lad runs up to Rhikiah in the Fleshworks. Pulling on his tunic, he hands the man a note that reads:

We're at The Sleeping Serpent Inn in the Bazaar when you're done.
~Rose

When Rhikiah lifts his head, the lad has already disappeared into the crowd.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 10:07 AM
"Yep, just an hour south. Folks say it's an old Narfel ruin filled with all sorts of devilish and demonic beasts. But I just think it's a trap-laden goose chase if you ask me. Likely the most any fool will find in the depths is dust and a grisly end. The Nars were a terrible cruel folk, but they had powerful magics. I figure that's exactly why so many wool-brained fools are throwing themselves into that deathtrap." Red nearly makes Pent jump out his skin. The man is standing directly behind him. Pent didn't hear a creak of the floorboards, nor did he feel a stir in the air.

Pent
2015-09-01, 10:33 AM
"Traps huh?. Hilde, Rhiikiah or I wouldn't do very well without Meera. Unless Rose? Can you handle traps?"

"Uh, Uncle Pent, did you hear the part where they all died?" Hilde says, flabbergasted.

"It can't be nearly as bad as the last dungeon Rhikiah and I were in."

Hilde shakes her head. There is no getting through to him.

"What do you think Rose, interested?"

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 10:39 AM
Red lets out an exasperated sigh and walks back to the kitchens, followed by Lily who sways and looks over her shoulder coyly at Pent. Well, Hilde, I imagine most of the really bad traps have already been triggered by the bodies throwing themselves at them. I don't study traps, as I invested my training into poisonmaking, but I have a sharp eye and quick hands. I should be able to muddle through well enough. Sure, I'm in. Rose smiles and drinks a hearty gulp from the mug.

Pent
2015-09-01, 10:48 AM
Pent raises a steel-wool eyebrow as Lily leaves. "You have a schedule to keep with your...employer. If that takes priority, that's fine. Should we make our way to Wyvern's Tale?"

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 10:53 AM
I'm going to wait here for Rhikiah, but you two should go. Just let old Eoin that "you've visited the garden" and he'll show you the private stock.

Pent
2015-09-01, 11:01 AM
"Visited the Garden" Pent repeats. He gets the directions from Rose and repeats them to make sure they doesn't get lost. And the pair leave the tavern towards The Wyvern.

Rhikiah
2015-09-01, 08:24 PM
Meanwhile, at the Fleshworks: Rhikiah bends down and looks at the animals in their cages, feeling saddened that he can not buy all of them. One of the wolves catches his eye. He looks to the 'seller' and asks, "If I buy him, how can I control him? Does he come with a leash or a muzzle?" He knows the answer he will receive but figures he might as well ask.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 08:31 PM
The gruff man who is selling the wolf spits in the dirt. Sure, I'll sell him with a muzzle and rope, for an extra five gold.

Rhikiah
2015-09-01, 08:42 PM
Rhikiah, not being used to cities and the regular customs of humans wonders to himself, "Why is everyone spitting all the time?". He sighs, and says, "Deal."

After the gold has been exchanged, Rhikiah utters a small prayer and casts guidance on himself. He then bends down to the cage and tries to talk calmly and soothingly. "Shhh, there there girl. You're alright now. We're going to get you out of that cage. Shhh is that going to be all right with you?" He puts his hand to the cage slowly but still keeping a few inches distance just in case the wolf tries to snap through the cage.

Rhikiah's Handle Animal: [roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-09-01, 08:57 PM
The gray she-wolf stops snarling and sniffs at Rhikiah's hand. Her ears perk a bit and her hackles lower slowly. She allows the priest to pet her.
Rhikiah has a new animal companion! The gray Mistwood Wolf, Mibu. She already knows the tricks: Attack, Heel, and Hunt.

Rhikiah
2015-09-01, 09:29 PM
"Good girl, good girl. You're free now." As Rhikiah pets and calms Mibu, he thinks that he no longer needs the rope and muzzle. For half a second he thinks to ask for a refund but decides against it. He knows the answer he'll receive and would rather avoid the attention that would be drawn as he is laughed at or insulted. He calmly opens Mibu's cage and says, "Come on girl, time to meet our friends. We'll take good care of you.". At this he realizes he forgot something, he reaches into his pocket and places retrieves Heinz's necklace. It is a bittersweet moment as he places it on Mibu and then repeats himself.

He then wonders aloud, "Now to figure out where they went to..." Almost as if on queue, a small lad runs up to Rhikiah and hands him a note that reads, 'We're at The Sleeping Serpent Inn in the Bazaar when you're done. ~Rose'. Rhikiah thinks, "Well, our friends are waiting for us or this is a trap..." He looks up for the lad but he has already disappeared into the crowd.

With no where else to search, Rhikiah and Mibu heads towards the Bazaar.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-03, 01:29 PM
Pent and Hilde walk through the bustling Bazaar, busy as when they had left it, and find there way to a small shop set off of a side street. The sign out front shows a wyvern reading a book, a very peculiar sight until Pent notices the pun in the shop's name, "The Wyvern's Tale".

Making his way inside, Pent is struck by how dusty and disheveled the shop looks. Books are stacked in towers in nearly every corner, with shelves crammed full of oddities lining the walls. The windows are either obscured by piles of clothes, cauldrons, and parchment or painted over with pitch. The whole shop smells of musty paper and the only light comes from the few candles burning precariously in their holders or the odd magical item shedding eerie glows in every color of the rainbow. Wands (both newly crafted and broken), potions of every shape and size, and innumerable bits and bobs of magical or quizzical significance are crammed on every spare inch of shelf space.

A shuffling sound, followed by the noise of a pile collapsing and a broken bottle crashing to the floor, announce the arrival of a short, portly man (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/91/26/18/9126185602ca229631853b87a125cd09.jpg) from the back room. He wears a long, bushy gray beard and a red fez atop his pale head. When he turns around, Pent and Hilde are slightly startled to see that the man possesses eyes of the purest black with no white sclera.

"Welcome, welcome", the man booms in a jolly baritone, smiling at the pair. "Welcome to the Wyvern's Tale. I am Eoin, purveyor of the odd and wonderful. How may I help you two fine adventurers today?"

. . .

Meanwhile, Rhikiah makes his way through the Bazaar with people giving him and his unleashed wolf a wide berth. Finally finding the Sleeping Serpent Inn, he makes his way inside to see Rose chatting with a handsome man with ginger hair. "And this is the last of my friends, Red. Rhikiah of Rashemen, Cleric of Lurue. Rhikiah, it's good to see that you've made a new . . . friend. I trust she is kindly?", Rose nods towards Mibu. "You are most welcome here, master Rhikiah. I've already taken the liberty of getting your room ready and making you a mid-day meal. You must be hungry from your travels."

Pent
2015-09-03, 02:32 PM
Pent is a little started by the man's eyes. After a second he remembers the reason he came.

"Greetings! My niece and I just had returned from a visit to the Gardens, and were hoping we could exchange some items with you."

AlphaLuke
2015-09-03, 05:47 PM
Eoin's smile slides slightly, almost imperceptibly, then is right back. "Well, of course, of course! Any friends of the Gardener are quite welcome in the Wyvern's Tale. I have wares that come from every corner of the globe. From Calimshan to Shao; from Chult to Damara. Please show me what you would like to trade and I will give you my best price for them. And, after we talk over some tea, we can look into my private collection?" The man seems guarded and cautious. He was friendly before, but now he seems to think that Pent and Hilde are very capable of killing him without much trouble.

Rhikiah
2015-09-03, 06:25 PM
"Thank you sir. Good to see you again Rose. Not to worry, Mibu is calm and kind." With this he looks down at Mibu, smiles, and gently scratches her head. "Where are Pent and Hilde? Have they eaten? Have they already taken the next airship out of here?"

AlphaLuke
2015-09-04, 10:38 AM
Rose explains that their friends had gone to the Wyvern's Tale to sell some equipment. After thanking Red for his hospitality and letting him know they'd be back later, she leads Rhikiah to meet Pent and Hilde at the shop.

Rhikiah
2015-09-07, 08:30 PM
When Rhikiah arrives at the door to the Wyvern's Tale, he takes a deep breath and thinks, "I sure hope this isn't a trap." and walks into the store.

Much to Rhikiah's relief, he sees no trap, only Pent talking to a short portly man behind the counter.

Pent
2015-09-08, 08:37 AM
"Thank you Eoin, we would like your best price on 4 tanglefoot bags, 3 masterwork studded leathers, 3 bolas, a masterwork katana, a masterwork sap, 3 shortbows, 18 arrows, 50 ft of hemp rope, 3 torches, 3 manacles, as well as this collection of magical items [[ERROR 404! DATA MISSING!]]. I'd also like to see what you have available in the way of armors and shields."

Pent turns his attention to Rose, Rhikiah, and a large wolf at Rhikiah's side. He smiles at Rose and Rhikiah, and squats down and holds his hand out for the wolf to sniff. "Wow, he's a big one. What's his name?"

Hilde is a little more hesitant to stick her hand out for the wolf to eat.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-08, 10:25 AM
Eoin smiles as Rose and Rhikiah enter the Wyvern's Tale. He moves to hug her, "Rose, and you've brought friends, more gardeners?" Rose smiles and kisses the man on either cheek. "No, my old friend. Just those who would help the garden grow and appreciate the verge." The man nods knowingly and happily takes a look at the pile laid on the counter in front of him. Grunting, he lifts and antiquated set of brass scales from beneath the counter. Opening a dusty tome, he begins to carefully mark the items in his ledger with a raven feather quill. Referencing the ledger, Eoin then begins to add iron weights to the scale. After he is satisfied, he begins to add gold, silver, and copper coins to the others side. Seemingly engrossed in the precise stacking of coins, Eoin answers Pent, "Yes, there should be some in in that corner," he points to a dusty pile of steel and iron stacked in the corner. "Not many come here looking for armor, but I've picked up some pieces in trade over the past few months." Rose wanders the shop while he weighs the coins and begins to look at some of the items adorning the walls.

Moving to the pile, Pent is able to see that the items are, thankfully, labeled with parchment tags noting price and quality:

Heavy Steel Shield (+2 shield) (4200 gp) - This shield shines as if polished beneath a thin patina of dust. The image of a red enamel winged griffon emblazons the front.
Chainmail (+1 armor) (1100 gp) - This chainmail is expertly made and studded with blue gems around the sleeves.
Full Plate (+1 armor, Poison-resistant) (4900 gp) - This full plate gives off a slight green light and is worked with stylized serpents winding across the chest. It has a matching Heavy Steel Shield (+1 shield) (1000 gp) that bears the image of a coiled viper.
Studded Leather Armor (+1 armor) (1000 gp) - This black leather armor is adorned with silver studs. The armor also seems to drink in the light around it.
Mithral Shirt (1000 gp) - This shirt of incredibly fine mithral links is chased with gold and pearls around the collar and sleeves.
Heavy Wooden Shield (+1 shield) (1157 gp) - This wooden shield is well polished and banded with thick straps of leather. Painted on the front is a roaring blue shadowcat on a field of white, the colors of House Mitarin as told by Eoin. House Mitarin has been dead for the better part of 40 years.

Completing his weights and measures, Eoin stands in front of a perfectly balanced scale. "Quite a horde, you all brought to me. I'm glad to say it's worth 4984 gold, 29 silver, and 13 coppers."

Pent
2015-09-08, 11:05 AM
Pent looks at the magic Heavy Wooden Shield. "I like this one. Will you take my old shield as part of the payment?" He motions to his Heavy Steel shield.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-08, 11:33 AM
Eoin smiles. "I suppose I could let that happen. How's an even thousand and your steel shield sound in trade?"

Pent
2015-09-08, 11:42 AM
"At that price, could I buy your magic chainmail as well? This Four-Mirror (Pent indicates to Hilde) will be included in the payment. Call it 2,000 for both the shield and armor?"

[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-09-08, 01:07 PM
Looking at Hilde's Mountain Pattern armor, Eoin smiles. "Sure, 2000 gold, your shield, and her armor for the wood shield and the chain armor." Eoin shakes on the deal and gets the gear ready while Hilde changes out of her armor.

Pent
2015-09-09, 11:25 AM
Having donned their new equipment. Pent asks Rose, "I don't think we should try to make for the crypt until tomorrow morning. What do you recommend to do today to kill time? Any fun sights?" Hilde elbows Pent in the ribs. "Or...sounds?"

AlphaLuke
2015-09-09, 02:26 PM
Trying on different gloves and hats, Rose smiles at Pent. "Well, that depends on what you're looking for." Looking knowingly at Hilde, Rose continues cautiously. "There are some . . . um . . . pleasure houses in the Mudgate and Port Districts. I know some girls the Red Feather in the Port District. They'll treat you right if you're in the mood for company . . ." Rose sniffs ". . . or a bath. There is a small arena I know of in Mudgate where you can bet on fighters. Last I remember it was in the basement of the Tusk's Call tavern. Strictly under the table of course, the Iron Watch doesn't know. I think you can even enter yourself if you're feeling lucky or foolish. No weapons or armor allowed in there though. There are some theatres here in the Bazaar, and I think I saw a flyer for a medusa bard playing at the Silver Swan tonight and a gnome illusionist at the Gilded Lily. Good wine at those two, and excellent food. If you're looking for something a little more post, you could always try the King's Crown Inn in the Crown District. They have food, wine, and company but charge an arm and a leg for it."

Pent
2015-09-09, 02:50 PM
"Wow, that's a lot of options.. The fighting pit sounds like fun. I bet I could do pretty well. Maybe a quick fight and clean up to see the Medusa Bard? That sounds interesting."

AlphaLuke
2015-09-10, 01:13 PM
Rose laughs quietly. "Of course you'd want to fight, big guy." Rose rubs a piece of translucent silk between her fingers. "Eoin! When did you get this in?! I've wanted this for months!" The short man bows apologetically, "Just yesterday. A noblewoman from Tyr decided to sell some of her clothes in order to pay a gambling debt she held in the Crown District. I suppose she decided that she could get by with the dresses she had." He says obsequiously. Rose pulls two silk tubes from the shelves stuffed with cloth. Slipping them over her arms, she looks quite foolish. Sleeves. They are sleeves that aren't attached to anything. Suddenly Rose shifts from her plain tan woolens to a beautiful red silk dress, embroidered with golden trellises and fanciful phoenixes. Looking at Pent, Rose explains with a smile. "Sleeves of Many Garments (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/sleeves-of-many-garments)! It's just an illusion, but now I can wear anything I want, whenever I want." Rose walks up to the counter and places her leather coin purse on the well-worn wood. She doffs the sleeves, immediately shifting back into the tan wool dress and places them on the counter alongside two long iron nails, two potion bottles, and a cloak woven or grey and green swirls. "I'll be taking these as well. Please tabulate the total for me, Eoin." Looking over the items, Eoin measures out the 1900 gold pieces and thanks Rose grateously for her patronage. "I can take you to the Tusk's Call whenever you're ready, big guy. Rhikiah, you can meet us over there whenever you're done shopping if you like, or back at the Serpent or the Swan." Rose dons the sleeves and new cloak and immediately shifts into a midnight black silk dress with a wide skirt and silver snakes embroidered along the hem. The cloak changes to match the new ensemble, becoming deep black with silver trim. She slides the nails and potions into her pockets. Seeing Pent's question before he speaks it, "Stubborn Nails (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/stubborn-nail). Good for blocking doors or anchoring ropes. A couple of Elixirs of Hiding (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/elixir-of-hiding) and Vision (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/elixir-of-vision) for the crypt if we discide to delve it. And a shiny new Cloak of Resistance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/cloak-of-resistance)! You ready to go?"

Pent
2015-09-10, 01:59 PM
"Ready when you are."

As they walk, Pent says "Those sleeves are amazing. That dress looks great on you. I should show you my illusion trick sometime." Hilde winces at the memory of her brief clone.

"I'm good at fighting. I like the idea of a fight for fun. Most fights I've been in are a matter of survival."

"You know what's not fair though? I spent almost all I have on a piece of armor and wood, and you come away with a hundred impossible items I've never heard of!" He says loudly, chuckling. "But I'm glad we have you with us. That resourcefulness of yours is a big help."

AlphaLuke
2015-09-10, 02:33 PM
Smiling at the complement, Rose almost blushes. "Thanks, big guy. I'd love to see the illusion trick sometime. I have one of my own, too."

Before long, they walk out of the cacophonous Bazaar into Mudgate. The District is aptly named, as mud quickly cakes their boots. The stink of unemptied chamber pots and unwashed poor assault Pent and Hilde's nose. Rose tries her best to pretend not to notice. Before long, they come to a smallish wooden structure with a tusked skull hanging on the door. Walking around back, Rose knocks on a wooden door with a small eye slat. The slat snaps open, and Rose simply says, "We've heard the Tusk's Call". With a quick snap, the slat closes and the door opens to reveal a huge Half-Orc bouncer at the door. "Hello, Grull. How's the wife?" Rose says sweetly to the imposing figure. "Pregnant. Again." He responds gruffly and angrily through tusked teeth. Rose laughs as she continues downstairs and into a multi-tiered seating circle around a rough hewn wooden arena. Two human men seems to be grappling on the ground attempting to catch one another in some kind of hold. "Alright, big guy. This is how this works. You go over to that fellow there," she points to a wiry human man with a few thin wisps of hair still clinging feebly to the top of his head. He holds a large book and is furiously scribbling with a quill. Two huge Half-Orcs flank him to either side, presumably as protection. "You give him your fighting name to be entered into the fight roster. Then, you wait here and watch until they call you." With a snap and a wail, Pent hears one man's arm snap. The crowd cheers raucously and the booming voice of an official calls the fight to close. Men either throw down scripts of paper in disgust or yell gleefully while moving to the wiry man with the book. "They'll take your weapons and armor and pair you off with another fighter. Once you two step into the arena they'll announce odds and start taking bets. I'll, of course, bet on you. Then, when the bell sounds, you two fight until they tell you to stop. No magic, no weapons, no armor. Natural abilities and learned tricks are just fine. Try not to kill the guy, because if you do there may be a blood price you have to pay for clean up. You got all that?"

Pent
2015-09-10, 02:49 PM
Pent hands Hilde his bag of coin. "Put 20 silver on me, huh? No magic, no weapons, no armor, no killing. Skin on ....steel." he exhales, undoing the knot in his gut, "Wish me luck."

He makes his way to the comb-over as he tries to think of a pseudonym. He settles on a stupid nickname his friends teased him with back when they caught him studying a new language: The Dragon.

Kind of pointless using a different name when there's only 1 steel monster in this city. Oh well. The Dragon. Better own up to it. These places only respect toughness and bravado.

He thinks of the troll in the woods of Waterdeep to put himself in the right mindset.

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 08:10 AM
The wiry man looks at you interestedly, "The Dragon. Faw! The Iron Bound, Goose-Brained fool is more like it. I'll put you down for a fight with Loto's new slave. Should be an interesting matchup. Take a seat and come when you're called." The man waves off Pent and continues taking bets and reading off numbers for the clamboring crowd.

Pent sits with Rose and Hilde watching the next fight between a muscular Half-Orc woman and a scrawny looking Hobgoblin man. The two lashed out with claws and tusks. Punches and kicks. Until, finally, the Hobgoblin fell in a spray of blood and stopped moving. The match ended with the half-orc woman smiling through a smear of brown-red blood and raising her fists in triumph.

A couple of burly looking chaps come to Pent and tell him it's time for him to fight. Rose and Hilde wish him good luck as he's led off to the rooms below the stands. Tobacco spit and sawdust rain atop their heads while Pent relinquishes all of his gear to an iron-bound strongbox. The box is locked and Pent is given the key. Pent is given a pair of plain, brown, woolen pants and a torn linen shirt to wear into the arena.

Then, with a gruff bark, he's pushed into the arena. The pit is surrounded by the stands and lit by brightly flamed torches and reflective mirrors. The ground beneath his feet is a hard packed, dry dirt that is still clumping with the blood of it's previous fight. That blood and dirt, mixed with the salty sweat, makes the arena feel very much like a battlefield. The wooden walls around him form a rough octagon, and he's able to pick out the shouting faces of Rose and Hilde in the stands. Rose looks excited. Hilde looks concerned.

Suddenly, a lithe looking elf with coppery skin and intricate blue tattoos (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6f/24/95/6f249541edf79c1661eaf835f50d0180.jpg) is pushed out into the arena in front of Pent. He's wearing the manacles of a slave, and looks at pent with determined and fierce eyes.

A booming voice from above begins the announcement.

"All right you scum. The next fight for you is between an outlander, a newcomer: The Iron Dragon!!! And, from deep within the untamed forest, we've got a Wild Elf slave fighter for you. The property of the great Loto, who captured him with his bear hands: The Painted Savage!!! Now gents, we want to see a good fight, so give 'em hell!"

With a ding of some unseen bell, the Elf launches himself at Pent.
Roll for Initiative.
The Painted Savage: [roll0]

Pent
2015-09-11, 08:16 AM
As he enters the ring, Pent slaps his hands against his chest 3 times to produce a loud clanging sound, playing to the crowd.

He squares off against the half-elf and prepares for the fight.

[roll0]

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 09:12 AM
The Wild Elf closes remarkably quickly, moving fluidly like a snake and striking at Pent's joints.
Move to melee range.
Stunning Fist declared
Attack Roll vs. AC 12: [roll0]
Fort Save if hit DC16

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 09:14 AM
The strikes clang against Pent's metallic skin without effect.

Pent
2015-09-11, 09:21 AM
Pent focuses on striking getting through the elf's defenses, then attacks.

Move action - Martial Flexibility - Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 09:40 AM
Pent over-extends his strike, opening his flank to a knee from the Elf.
Pent provokes an attack of opportunity with the Nat 1.
Attack Roll AC 13: [roll0]
Damage if Hit: [roll1]
The Elf flows around Pent and strikes him twice against his ribs.
Flurry of Blows
Attack Roll AC 13: [roll2]
Damage if Hit: [roll3]
Stunning Fist
Attack Roll AC 13: [roll4]
Damage if Hit: [roll5]
Fort Save if Hit DC16

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 09:43 AM
The knee to the ribs knocks the wind out of Pent and snaps ribs.
Crit confirmation for 2x damage on the attack of opportunity
[roll0]

Pent
2015-09-11, 09:45 AM
Pent makes his fort save

[roll0]

cmon you ****ing dice

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 11:24 AM
After a knee to the ribs that cracks something and two sharp punches, Pent feels the Elf hit a serious nerve cluster. He cannot move.
Pent takes 19 points of damage and is Stunned (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Stunned) this turn.
Damn he's fast. And a monk from the looks of it.

The crowd cheers as they see The Painted Savage dance around The Iron Dragon, finding weak spots and exploiting them. A collective "OOOOOOO" emanates from the stands when the knee connects with ribs. Pent sees Rose screaming "encouragement", "Get your head in the game, big guy!" Hilde, meanwhile, has started biting her nails and trying to hide her eyes behind a pamphlet.

The Elf doesn't let up, lashing out with even more strikes. Pent sees as his challenger summons his inner strength to unleash additional blows. Taking advantage of Pent's immobility, the Elf spins around with a leg sweep, then follows through with two spinning hammer fists.
Swift Action to spend 1 Ki Point to make one additional attack at his highest attack bonus when making a flurry of blows attack
Full Round Action to Flurry
Trip Attack vs CMD 21: [roll0]
Provokes no AOO because of Stunned. +4 to roll because of Stunned.
Attack vs AC 9 (No Dex and -2 because of Stunned) : [roll1]
Damage on Hit: [roll2]
Attack vs AC 9 (No Dex and -2 because of Stunned) : [roll3]
Damage on Hit: [roll4]

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 11:28 AM
The leg sweep meets an immovable column of steel and Pent's legs don't budge. The elf follows through with a spinning hammer fist to the chin that causes a small trickle of blood to drip from the corner of Pent's mouth. The second hammer fist strikes the metal of his shoulder with a clang, but no damage.
Pent takes 7 damage and is no longer stunned. Pent's turn.

Pent
2015-09-11, 11:35 AM
"Was that fun for you?" Pent says with a smile, hoping to psych him out a little. he makes a brawler's flurry.

Default attack 9, Weapon focus (unarmed trike) +1, TWF -2
[roll0]
[roll1] non lethal
[roll2]
[roll3] non lethal

AlphaLuke
2015-09-11, 11:50 AM
Pent swings wildly at the Painted Elf and misses twice. The Elf's speed and combat training make him very difficult to hit. The first strike misses so wildly that it puts him off balance.
Nat 1: Pent takes a -1 penalty to his armor class for the next round.
The Painted Savage doesn't even register Pent's jibe. His face shows no emotion. Just stoic determination. He begins moving with a strange and stylistic grace. His hand forms a point as he presses his fingers together and strikes overhead at the joining of Pent's neck and shoulder.
Swift Action: Spend Ki Point to give himself a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round.
Standard Action to Scorpion Strike.
Attack Roll AC 12: [roll0]
Damage Roll if Hit: [roll1]
Fort Save if Hit DC16 or land speed is reduced to 5 feet for 4 rounds
Forgoes Move Action
Pent's Turn

Pent
2015-09-11, 11:57 AM
Pent makes the save against the Scorpion's strike:
1d20+8

Time to change the fight.
He spends a move action to grant himself Improved Grapple.

And makes a grapple attempt against the monk.
[roll0]

Pent
2015-09-11, 11:58 AM
rerolling the fort save
[roll[1d20+8[/roll]