PDA

View Full Version : Grenadier

Grug
2007-04-14, 11:56 AM
For a game I'm DMing, I'm going to include an NPC who seems like an unassuming butler, but when his master's estate is threatened becomes a competant Grenadier. The only problem I have with this is that there don't really seem to be any interesting Grenade like weapons. I mean, there's Acid, Alchemists' fire, and Oil. Does anyone know any other grenade-like weapons there are? Would an Oil of Web or the like still be considered a thrown weapon? I'm looking for advice on how to build this guy, level 4 fighter.

Jimp
2007-04-14, 12:25 PM
Tanglefoot Bags can be handy for catching people.

asqwasqw
2007-04-14, 01:22 PM
Alchemist's fire and Acid solve all problems! But Jimp is right, you can Tanglefoot Bag them and then fire Alchemist's Fire and Acid. Don't forget about Thunderstones.

Stevenson
2007-04-14, 02:18 PM
You could, of course, invent things. The local twink in my group invented some kind of flak grenade, but don't ask me how, I don't know.

Tie thunderstones, alchemist fire, etc. together?

Cubey
2007-04-14, 02:21 PM
Neverwinter Nights had "improved" bottles of Alchemist Fire and Acid that did 10d6 damage instead of that lousy d6/d4. Of course, it isn't exactly core... or even DnD...

ThunderEagle
2007-04-14, 02:35 PM
there are some useful feats for this kind of thing in the PHB-II

kpenguin
2007-04-14, 03:08 PM
there are some useful feats for this kind of thing in the PHB-II

Yes, there's Grenadier and Mad Alchemist. Grenadier gives a nice +1 to attack and damage (including splash damage) to alchemy weapons. Mad Alchemist is a tactical feat that gives you three nice moves to use with thunderstones, tanglefoot bags, and alchemist fire. Mad Alchemist, however, requires 6 ranks in Craft (Alchemy). Since alchemy is only availible to casters, you'd need a level dip. I'd recommend it anyway, since this way your butler can make his own grenades.

Besides the standard alchemy items in the PHB, you could also use contact poisons. Those can be pretty nasty and since you're just throwing their bottles, no chance of damaging yourself. No splash, however. There are also several alchemical items from several supplements, so consider looking those up. The best advice, however, is to make them yourself.

DraPrime
2007-04-14, 04:17 PM
Buy Arms and Equipment Guide. They probably have something there.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-14, 04:20 PM
Sadly, Arms and Equipment Guide, for all its usefuless, really doesn't offer much else in the form of grenadelike weapons. I bunch of very specialized ones, though. Anti-plant, anti-vermin, anti-good outsiders, anti-evil outsiders... but nothing that makes Grenade builds really viable.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-14, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a nice simple homebrew project to me :)

Fax Celestis
2007-04-14, 04:30 PM
Complete Scoundrel has some grenades too.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-14, 04:41 PM
Conversely, read this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40898).

kpenguin
2007-04-14, 04:46 PM
Ah, the necklace of fireballs. I forgot about that one. You can easily adapt it into a more grenade-like form. Like a bunch of fireball beads strapped to a belt.

ilovefire
2007-04-14, 04:48 PM
There's also Alchemist's Shock and Alchemist's Frost, in the ECS. there may be more grenade-like weapons in there, to, but I'm not sure.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-04-14, 07:16 PM
Savage Species has frostfire (cold alchemist fire), flashtubes (the blinding cousin to thunderstones), and other weird stuff, like Vrock spores, Delver slime, and Aboleth Mucus. The DMG has black powder bombs, if your campaign has renaissance-level technology. Also, Spell Compendium has a few spells that count as grenade-like weapons... Ice Dagger comes to mind, and it's only 1st level.