PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Druid, what spells do i NEED?

Blackhawk748
2015-04-10, 10:19 AM
What the title says, id love to play a Druid but i REALLY dont like being a prepared caster, so the Spontaneous Divine Caster rule from UA seemed like a good idea, the problem is what spells do i need?

I feel SNA I-IX are natural inclusions, may ditch SNA 1-2 at later levels, as well as Entangle, Call Lightning and Produce Flame, but past these im at a loss.

So what spells does a Druid need?

nedz
2015-04-10, 11:17 AM
Spontaneous Druid gets all the SNAs for free, so you don't have to worry about those.
Do look at the various SLAs these offer, those will cover a lot of bases.
Wildshape can cover some further options also.

What sort of role are you looking at filling ?
Are you the party healer ?
Do you want to **** things with a stick, or are you going to blast them, or use Battlefield control, Buff, Debuff, ... ?

Bear in mind you get 1 swap per 2 levels, so work out which spells you will dump later and don't take too many of those.

Troacctid
2015-04-10, 11:35 AM
You should ask eggynack for that druid guide he's been working on.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably want obscuring mist, faerie fire, blockade, entangle, sleet storm, control winds, baleful polymorph, and the "heart of" line. Maybe mass snake's swiftness, depending on the composition of the party.

nedz
2015-04-10, 12:01 PM
You could also look at Spirit Shaman, which is kind of like a prepared spontaneous caster.

Blackhawk748
2015-04-10, 12:06 PM
You could also look at Spirit Shaman, which is kind of like a prepared spontaneous caster.

I am aware of Spirit Shaman, and i like it, but i wanna be a Bear, riding a Bear, Summoning an Army of Bears and hurling Bear shaped lightning. :smalltongue:

atemu1234
2015-04-10, 12:09 PM
I am aware of Spirit Shaman, and i like it, but i wanna be a Bear, riding a Bear, Summoning an Army of Bears and hurling Bear shaped lightning. :smalltongue:

Leading a bear cavalry. With bears mounted on dire bears, wielding bear cubs as javelins.

Blackhawk748
2015-04-10, 12:11 PM
Leading a bear cavalry. With bears mounted on dire bears, wielding bear cubs as javelins.

Precisely!

NeoPhoenix0
2015-04-10, 01:24 PM
depending on your alignment and where you will generally be adventuring, boreal wind.

Also invest in a bear dirigible for bear paratroopers if you don't have a master of many forms on your side.

Theodred theOld
2015-04-10, 01:30 PM
Also invest in a bear dirigible for bear paratroopers if you don't have a master of many forms on your side.
Bearatroopers. I will being using that one.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-10, 01:39 PM
I'd consider the following spells to be must-haves:
Snowsight and Obscuring Snow from Frostburn, if you like cheese. Make everyone in your party pitch in 2,000 gp for a 1st level Pearl of Power and a third of a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend, so you can spend a single 1st level spell slot per day to put Extended Snowsight on everyone in the party. Clerics and Wizards can also cast Obscuring Snow, it lasts an hour/level and follows you around. While I'm on the subject, you can't really have too many Lesser Rods of Extend.

Creeping Cold, particularly if you have a Lesser Rod of Extend.

Kelpstrand, also quite good with a Lesser Rod of Extend.

Wall of Thorns, though it's not at all necessary if you have Greenbound Summoning.

The Druid Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0) has quite a list of spells. You can get the Raiment of the Four set in MIC for spontaneous access to a few other choice spells, and SNAIV (SNAIII with a Ring of the Beast) gets a Unicorn for cure spells, Neutralize Poison, and Magic Circle Against Evil.

nedz
2015-04-10, 02:47 PM
Pearls of Power only work for Prepared casters.

Extend Spell is quite a good level 3 feat for Spontaneous Casters, should Rods be hard to come by.

atemu1234
2015-04-10, 03:39 PM
Bearatroopers. I will being using that one.

And gorilla-bears, for bear guerrilla warfare.

Blackhawk748
2015-04-10, 03:47 PM
I'd consider the following spells to be must-haves:
Snowsight and Obscuring Snow from Frostburn, if you like cheese. Make everyone in your party pitch in 2,000 gp for a 1st level Pearl of Power and a third of a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend, so you can spend a single 1st level spell slot per day to put Extended Snowsight on everyone in the party. Clerics and Wizards can also cast Obscuring Snow, it lasts an hour/level and follows you around. While I'm on the subject, you can't really have too many Lesser Rods of Extend.

Creeping Cold, particularly if you have a Lesser Rod of Extend.

Kelpstrand, also quite good with a Lesser Rod of Extend.

Wall of Thorns, though it's not at all necessary if you have Greenbound Summoning.

The Druid Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0) has quite a list of spells. You can get the Raiment of the Four set in MIC for spontaneous access to a few other choice spells, and SNAIV (SNAIII with a Ring of the Beast) gets a Unicorn for cure spells, Neutralize Poison, and Magic Circle Against Evil.

I LOVE wall of thorns. Holy crap that spell is nasty.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-10, 04:24 PM
Control Winds, because tornados.

Enhance Wild Shape (SpC)

Impeding Stones (CS). Like Entangle, only it functions almost anywhere.

Feathers (MotW). This lets you transform the entire party into birds for hours/level. Obviously not a combat spell but the utility is fantastic for a 4th level spell.

Frostfell (Frostburn). If you're blasting, do it right.