PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands RPG

themaque
2015-04-10, 11:36 AM
Because I can't pay attention to one thing for to long, I'm bringing up a fourth project to work on.

I've been working on writing up setting rules for a Borderlands themed campaign. My question is, what system would work best?

Currently I'm working with Savage Worlds, because I think it's light and would encourage some insane actions. I could see most "action skills" being a variant "super power" that people can activate. Shields I'm still tinkering with.

However, is this the best system? Would Mutants & Masterminds D20 variant work better since it is also a hit point system? It would also be easier to replicate powers, but while it would represent the crunch better, would a lighter system capture the feeling better?

Would FATE allow even greater insanity, but does it have to little crunch?

Blackjackg
2015-04-10, 11:53 AM
You'll probably at least want to check out No Rest For the Wicked. It's a fangame by indy developers Wrecking Ball Game Labs, available on their website as a free pdf.

http://wreckingballgamelabs.dvd20.org/?p=37#more-37

Sith_Happens
2015-04-10, 02:47 PM
Key question: Are you aiming to keep the "bazillion guns" aspect of the series?

Lentrax
2015-04-10, 03:16 PM
Randomized weapon drops.

Probably a couple of tables to roll on. d8 for brand. a couple of tables for random aspects like increased damage, magazine size, accuracy, elemental damage etc...

A bazillion weapons is probably pretty easy to achieve.

JCAll
2015-04-10, 04:30 PM
Loot. Loot everywhere. That's the whole point of Borderlands. Hell, I've thrown away fantastic guns just because I didn't like the way the scope looked, and could do it knowing I had dozens of more fantastic guns in my inventory or waiting in chests for me to loot. Can you imagine in D&D if a Fighter threw away a +4 Greatsword just because he didn't like the wavy bit on the end of the handle? No that would be insane, but insane is Borderlands bread and butter.

So just remember: Violence, Loot, More Loot, More Violence, and Tentacle Monsters. You'll do fine.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-10, 05:20 PM
So just remember: Violence, Loot, More Loot, More Violence, and Tentacle Monsters Even More Loot. You'll do fine.

Fixed that for you. Seriously, even Gearbox learned from that one.:smalltongue:

Maglubiyet
2015-04-10, 06:18 PM

I like where your head's at. Though I really like the word "Gluttonous".

JCAll
2015-04-10, 09:28 PM

I find tentacle monsters a perfectly reasonable way to get out of writing plot.

Eisenheim
2015-04-10, 09:46 PM
So, I don't think the constant loot element of borderlands would really translate well to the tabletop, but I'm going to suggest Apocalypse World, which I have not played, but I understand it to be designed for roleplaying in a mad-max style wasteland future, very much the style that inspired borderlands.

goto124
2015-04-11, 02:19 AM
When introducing every character, PC or NPC, do it the cool Borderlands style.

Bonus points if done in-universe, with holograms.

JCAll
2015-04-11, 03:03 AM
When introducing every character, PC or NPC, do it the cool Borderlands style.

Bonus points if done in-universe, with holograms.

*splash screen intro sequence*
NPC Questgiver: You don't even bother to learn his real name.
"Hey, that's not funny!"

kyoryu
2015-04-11, 03:47 AM
So, I don't think the constant loot element of borderlands would really translate well to the tabletop, but I'm going to suggest Apocalypse World, which I have not played, but I understand it to be designed for roleplaying in a mad-max style wasteland future, very much the style that inspired borderlands.

Conveniently enough, there's a Borderlands hack of AW/DW that's linked above.

goto124
2015-04-11, 05:14 AM
*splash screen intro sequence*
NPC Questgiver: You don't even bother to learn his real name.
"Hey, that's not funny!"

I'm going to assume the last line is uttered by the questgiver himself.

Ralanr
2015-04-11, 01:48 PM
I'm going to assume the last line is uttered by the questgiver himself.

Right before you shoot him in the face. Cause he asked.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-04-11, 03:37 PM
The system that's all about inter-character relationships, tough choices, serious consequences and failing forward? Yeah, that sounds like a perfect fit for Borderlands.

I think to capture the feel, you'll need:

A good combat engine. Borderlands is basically nothing but shooting; I can't imagine that a tabletop version would be anything less than combat-heavy. You need something robust, something with enough options to be interesting in its own right.
At least an option for detailed weapons. You'll never get the randomized loot feel right if the only choices are between "2d6" and "1d12" damage guns.
Hit points. I haven't played much Borderlands, but the wall-o'-HP seems to be a pretty big element of boss fights. You certainly don't want something where every hit is a serious problem.

I think you've hit on the two best choices already. Of the two, I'd recommend Mutants and Masterminds. The character creation may be crunchier, but in actual play it's no heavier than, say, Savage Worlds, and certainly a lot better than your standard D&D. It does great action scenes (you'd be surprised how much not having to worry about precise positioning helps), and, well... you're not going to find a better option for randomized guns. You don't even need to invent a table; just roll a dWhatever or two on the Modifiers table and decide what "Contagious Indirect Damage' weapon does*. You'd have to fiddle with the usual rules for picking up Devices, but that wouldn't be too hard.

*For the record, my guess is bees (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sauT0AjE0oM).

LibraryOgre
2015-04-12, 03:21 PM
If I were to do Borderlands using SW, I'd probably deemphasize the "Billions of guns" aspect, and use the Barrier power to represent shields (i.e. have to have an attack do enough damage to crack the shields to bring it down). I'd give a lot of the weapons the "Smite" power with elemental effects, and go from there.

Necroticplague
2015-04-12, 04:52 PM
RIFTS seems like it would fit pretty decently.

themaque
2015-04-12, 08:08 PM
I agree that M&M would be a much better fit mechanicaly. However, that is also so much work that I don't want to bother.

I am going forward with the SW system. Shields are easy to get and add a barrior. Action skills are using the SUPER POWERS rules and I will just work out something that feels right depending on what the players want to play.

I think the humor, setting, and action are the most important element, not bajillions of guns. A couple crazy fun ones should suffice.

kyoryu
2015-04-12, 10:54 PM
I had a chance to play No Rest For the Wicket the other day. It actually ran pretty well, and I felt it captured the Borderlands feel nicely.

You can definitely run it as combat-centric or not as you'd like.