PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next My friend asked me to help make a Psionic Monk

Ramshack
2015-04-10, 11:36 AM
I wanted to get some ideas flowing, a fellow DM friend of mine asked me to help make a psionic monk for his next 5e adventure. I was thinking of using the Monk Base and creating a psionic monk archetype. I would follow similar rules of the Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight and follow their spell progression, only replacing spell slots with Power Points.Then build a custom spell list. He'd have the cantrip mage hand to mimic his telekinesis.

Ideas i've had include range unarmed attacks using mage hand and a similar ability as the "Up the walls" feat from 3.5

Any other ideas?

eleazzaar
2015-04-10, 12:10 PM
Ideas i've had include range unarmed attacks using mage hand...

Sounds cool, but very powerful.

Ralcos
2015-04-10, 12:14 PM
Maybe instead of Power Points, give this subclass additional Ki Points as he gains levels and the ability to use his spell slots without material, vocal, or somatic components (for psionic spells, as noted) using up said Ki Points.

I'd say go for it!

Ki Points
As part of the School of the Mind's Spirit, you gain an additional number of Ki points as you level equal to your Proficiency Bonus.
You use the Ki Points that you earn by spending Spell Slots on your Psionic abilities, used without any material components, somatic components, and verbal components needed.
Ki Point Cost for spells as listed below:

Level 1 Spells = 1 Ki Point
Level 2 or 3 Spells = 2 Ki Points per use.
Level 4 or 5 Spells = 3 Ki Points per use; plus any material components (though a Ki Focus, Arcane Focus, or Holy Symbol works for this purpose)
Level 6 or 7 Spells = 4 Ki Points per use; plus any material components (though a Ki Focus, Arcane Focus, or Holy Symbol works for this purpose)
Level 8 or 9 Spells = 5 Ki Points per use; plus any material components (though a Ki Focus, Arcane Focus, or Holy Symbol works for this purpose)

Ki points and Spell Slots can only be regained by taking a Short or Long Rest.
(I'm away from book right now, but this doesn't seem right...)

Ramshack
2015-04-10, 12:29 PM
Sounds cool, but very powerful.

yeah, I'd limit the uses by either Ki or Power Points though as a balancing mechanic.

Ramshack
2015-04-10, 12:31 PM
Maybe instead of Power Points, give this subclass additional Ki Points as he gains levels and the ability to use his spell slots without material, vocal, or somatic components (for psionic spells, as noted) using up said Ki Points.

I'd say go for it!

This is a good idea, having two pools of points to manage could be tiresome or needlessly complicated.

Ralcos
2015-04-10, 12:38 PM
This is a good idea, having to pools of points to manage could be tiresome or needlessly complicated.

Good you agree!
I added a "balanced" example.

Also, maybe you could add Mage Hand and A single other cantrip/orison of the player's choice when he takes this subclass?
Just another idea...

Grek
2015-04-11, 01:19 AM
I see no particular reason to make it a half casting class.

3rd level: You gain knowledge of the following Cantrips: Friends, Mage Hand and Message. Your spellcasting ability for these cantrips is Wisdom. As they are psychic powers, you do not require verbal, somatic or material components for these cantrips.

6th level: You may telepathically communicate with any intelligent creature within 5 feet. By spending 2 ki when you cast Mage Hand, you may make unarmed attacks at a range of 30 feet for the duration of the spell.

11th level: Your telepathy extends to 100 feet. For 2 ki, you may cast Detect Good and Evil without verbal, somatic or material components or the use of a spell slot.

17th level: Your telepathy extends to 500 feet. You may cast Astral Projection without verbal, somatic or material components or the use of a spell slot by spending 7 ki plus 1 ki per target beyond yourself.

the_david
2015-04-11, 02:22 AM
You mean like the Psionic Fist? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-11, 10:22 AM
You mean like the Psionic Fist? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm)

Edition tags, boss. They want to do this in 5e, which doesn't have official psionics yet (I don't think, at least).

Ramshack
2015-04-14, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the extra tips guys. I appreciate the ideas. I'll have something ready shortly, i'd love some critiques.