PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Monsters: Roll Twice and Combine

Lord Torath
2015-04-10, 12:46 PM
How do you handle the Roll Twice and Combine result when rolling random encounters?

Most times I've heard about DMs rolling this, the two indicated monsters seem to team up against the PCs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html) (panel ten). I generally tend to see this as a world building opportunity, rather than an ultra-hard encounter. Instead of orcs riding giant frogs, the orcs are hunting the frogs (or vice versa). Or you get the scene from Jurassic Park where Dr. Grant and the two kids encounter the "flock" of 3-ton ostrich-like dinos, and then the T-Rex lunges out and kills one. It's a way to show the PCs that they're not the only ones that have random encounters.

Anyone else do this?

lytokk
2015-04-10, 12:50 PM
How do you handle the Roll Twice and Combine result when rolling random encounters?

Most times I've heard about DMs rolling this, the two indicated monsters seem to team up against the PCs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html) (panel ten). I generally tend to see this as a world building opportunity, rather than an ultra-hard encounter. Instead of orcs riding giant frogs, the orcs are hunting the frogs (or vice versa). Or you get the scene from Jurassic Park where Dr. Grant and the two kids encounter the "flock" of 3-ton ostrich-like dinos, and then the T-Rex lunges out and kills one. It's a way to show the PCs that they're not the only ones that have random encounters.

Anyone else do this?

If its fitting that the two random encounters are fighting each other typically I would do it that way. That way the characters have multiple choices to make an it can lead to some more interesting RP.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-10, 12:53 PM
Yes, I've had the PC's come across a fight between two groups before, like bandits vs orcs.

Mr.Sandman
2015-04-10, 02:46 PM
Wait, your supposed to have them fight both results, not combine the two into one? Well there go my half giant frog orc raiders :(

BayardSPSR
2015-04-10, 03:09 PM
Wait, your supposed to have them fight both results, not combine the two into one? Well there go my half giant frog orc raiders :(

I always thought it meant to have them fight both, plus the antagonists from Half-Life 2.

Jay R
2015-04-10, 05:46 PM
Keep your options open. Have the giant frogs attack the PCs. If the PCs are in trouble, the orcs come in to get their frog dinner.

But if the PCs are winning too easily, the orcs attack them for interfering with their frog hunt.

Alternatively, if a PC slips into the bushes to sneak up on the frogs, they may discover that the bush is already occupied. Hilarity ensues.

JAL_1138
2015-04-11, 06:50 AM
My 2e DM did this sometimes (or seemed to; pretty sure he was rolling on the random encounter tables). On a few occasions the wandering monsters would indicate a way to deal with a larger force, e.g., without revealing ourselves, get the hobgoblin encampment to go clear out the bullywug den, then pick off the survivors.

nedz
2015-04-11, 07:02 AM
Back in the days when I used to roll random encounters I'd roll a dozen or so and then combine most of them into more interesting combinations just leaving a few uncombined.

Then I decided to just create the encounters without random rolling since I can simply pick entries from suitable lists for the terrain and achieve the same effect.

Milodiah
2015-04-11, 06:29 PM
I always thought it meant to have them fight both, plus the antagonists from Half-Life 2.

Absolutely stealing this now.

"A small pack of owlbears appears to be fighting some kobold poachers. You watch as a strange craft powered by unknown magic lands nearby, and men in white, rubbery masks rush out wielding magic lightning clubs."

JAL_1138
2015-04-12, 06:48 AM
Absolutely stealing this now.

"A small pack of owlbears appears to be fighting some kobold poachers. You watch as a strange craft powered by unknown magic lands nearby, and men in white, rubbery masks rush out wielding magic lightning clubs."

So, early Blackmoor.

Joe the Rat
2015-04-13, 09:58 AM
Keep your options open. Have the giant frogs attack the PCs. If the PCs are in trouble, the orcs come in to get their frog dinner.

But if the PCs are winning too easily, the orcs attack them for interfering with their frog hunt.

Alternatively, if a PC slips into the bushes to sneak up on the frogs, they may discover that the bush is already occupied. Hilarity ensues.

It's a way to make your planned encounters interesting as well.

Oh, but that third one... it would be a nice change from the usual party pattern of "stuff happens, rogue wanders off to "scout," then comes back beaten up / on fire / chased by monsters." Sadly, not all three at once. I need to up my game.