PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Spells for walking trough stone (or stuff in general).

PetterTomBos
2015-04-10, 02:51 PM
My PCs were being blocked out of a dungeon (long story) by a stoned-up corridor. The Cleric started to read into meld with stone and suchlike spells.

We were tired, and tired of the dungeon. I hand waved the rules discussion, and said that the team cleric could spend his spells for the day to have the party move through the stone and emerge on the other side of the dungeon entirely. It was an allright decision at the time, and I guess Garl Glittergold appreciated the trickstery.

Which ways are there to walk (literally) trough a dungeon with spells? For future use?

I recently finished the riftwars triology, and would love to use the trick of "it's not reachable by walking, you got to move trough the floor" trick, if moving trough stone remains a thing ;)

Psyren
2015-04-10, 03:02 PM
You can summon an earth elemental and give it instructions (in Terran) to wait 2 rounds, then fold and pick up the piece of cloth you lay at its feet and glide straight out of the dungeon while carrying it. The cloth of course is a portable hole containing the party and a bottle of air.

PetterTomBos
2015-04-10, 03:54 PM
That would certainly be a way to do it. Someone could dupe or mind control the elemental, tho..

The more suggestions the better :)

Psyren
2015-04-10, 04:06 PM
Teleportation (perhaps combined with Clairvoyance so that you know where you're going) and similar spells (like Shadow Walk) can get you there too, though there's a risk of arriving off course.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-10, 04:16 PM
Ethereal Jaunt, Etherealness, Swift Etherealness, any other spell or ability that lets you become ethereal. You can walk through anything on the material plane while still seeing what's going on there.
Passwall - lets you move through walls, though it's limited by distance.
Disintigrate. The name says it all.
Knock - if it's just a door in the way.
Transmute Rock to Mud/Sand/Lava - if the rocks are natural (cave in or something like that). Even if they're not you can still change the ground under the manufactured part.
Summon Nature's Ally III (Thoqqua) - or any other creature that can burrow through solid rock and leaves a tunnel.

(Elder/Ancient) Mountain Hammer/Foehammer (ToB) - they all ignore hardness and can be used as often as you need to. Just punch your way through.
Adamantine weapon - ignores hardness under 20. Few things are that hard.

There's more, but that's what i remember without looking through the books. There's something for pretty much everyone, and almost all of it is core.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-10, 08:58 PM
Stone shape.

Seerow
2015-04-10, 09:10 PM
Xorn Movement is a 5th level spell that grants earthglide for a period of time, but for a single person.

The closest thing to the scene you described is probably one of the ethereal effects sleepyphoenix mentioned.