PDA

View Full Version : Targetting yourself with spells

SangoProduction
2015-04-10, 05:03 PM
If you played in my previous group in the past 5 years, then you'd know one of my players likes to cast Fireball centered on herself. But, in those situations, it's quite obvious what would happen. It gets trickier when you use non-evocation spells.
For example, Dominate Person (Do you just become brain dead for the duration because you couldn't give the order after you've cast the spell, because the spell already went off?), and Dimensional Anchor (Can you prevent being banished with it, since it says "all dimensional travel"?).

Can you guys think of any other spells that get ...interesting... when you target yourself?

Asrrin
2015-04-10, 05:29 PM
I know the dominate person trick works because people will use it on themselves, and then command themselves to act normally. This is because of a clause dealing with multiple mind controlling effects that allows opposed charisma checks when two or more mind control effects are active at the same time. If someone gets through your defenses and you fail your save, you get to make a charisma check to shrug it off.

Jormengand
2015-04-10, 06:00 PM
Not a spell, but reversed Inertia Surge prevents you from being bull rushed or moved in a grapple or banished because you can't move out of the square you're in.

Reversed Ward of Peace, IIRC, allows you to banish yourself to a pocket dimension for five rounds.

Silencing yourself is often surprisingly useful, especially if you're a truenamer because of The Universe Hears Just Fine.

Blinding yourself helps against colour spray and gaze attacks.

If an intelligent item which has truenamer levels is struck by a spell and doesn't know what it is, it can Analyse Item itself to work out what it is. An intelligent item also doesn't take damage from heating or chilling its own metal if it doesn't like its wielder.

Crake
2015-04-10, 11:48 PM
I know the dominate person trick works because people will use it on themselves, and then command themselves to act normally. This is because of a clause dealing with multiple mind controlling effects that allows opposed charisma checks when two or more mind control effects are active at the same time. If someone gets through your defenses and you fail your save, you get to make a charisma check to shrug it off.

For example, Dominate Person (Do you just become brain dead for the duration because you couldn't give the order after you've cast the spell, because the spell already went off?), and Dimensional Anchor (Can you prevent being banished with it, since it says "all dimensional travel"?).

For the dominate example you need to first target yourself with a protection from evil or the like to be able to issue that first command, since otherwise you would lose the ability to give yourself a command as soon as the dominate came into effect.

The dimensional anchor example is a fairly common tactic for extraplanar creatures.

goto124
2015-04-11, 02:39 AM
If Dimensional Anchor is used on an Outsider, and she 'dies' on the Material Plane, what happens?

AlanBruce
2015-04-11, 04:00 AM
If Dimensional Anchor is used on an Outsider, and she 'dies' on the Material Plane, what happens?

If the outsider was summoned and is slain, I believe the body winks back to whatever Plane it came from, anchored or not.

If the outsider was called, however, his remains would be left in the Prime, anchored or not. Reason why called outsiders ask for a hefty price when a wizard calls them to perform some dangerous act (adventuring)- they know what's at stake, and they want to make sure that if they're going into a suicidal mission, they might as well get something quite rewarding for their work.

Chronos
2015-04-11, 08:55 AM
Dimensional Anchor doesn't prevent called or summoned creatures from returning home at the end of the summoning or calling. It does, however, stop Banishment and the like.