PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item contest, just a thought. Has it been done?

inuyasha
2015-04-10, 05:20 PM
Has anyone ever thought to start a contest where the participants are given a certain budget, power level, or theme, and they must base a magic item around it using the magic item creation rules? I think this could present an amazing opportunity to expand the magic items available in interesting ways.
Contestants could be judged on the following items:

Flavor (meh this is just another powerful blasting item to WOW! This is creative and fun)

Usefulness (This has so many uses it's just over powered, this item fills such a small niche that it's useless, this item does something that nothing else does but it's really cool!)

Description and depth (this is a four foot long staff with an ornate twig popping out of it's side to something like a complete history (use spoilers and paragraph breaks!))

How it fits the criteria (if given a gold piece limit, maybe closer to that is better, maybe you want something cheap, if given a power level and basic theme, maybe it just really *clicks* or maybe it is just too close to the original idea in such a way that it doesn't have any originality)

etcetera etcetera...

What does everyone think, could it be done, would people be interested, does anyone have any ideas?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-11, 10:19 AM
I think there may have been one Years ago, but definitely not within recent memory. If you did do one though, I'd recommend the standard Homebrew Forum "vote for your favorite" method rather than categories...especially since the so-called "useless" or "niche" items are often the most fun.

So maybe follow the PrC Contest method of having themes: ancient relics, Gnomish inventions, cursed items, etc.

inuyasha
2015-04-11, 12:43 PM
Thanks Djinn! I was thinking of wishing for some advice on how to handle this :smallwink:

So if I were to start this would you be interested in participating? Also, how does one actually do a contest, I haven't run one in quite some time, last time I tried to I had to get surgery not long after so I kinda messed up.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-11, 12:55 PM
Thanks Djinn! I was thinking of wishing for some advice on how to handle this :smallwink:

So if I were to start this would you be interested in participating? Also, how does one actually do a contest, I haven't run one in quite some time, last time I tried to I had to get surgery not long after so I kinda messed up.

I always enjoy item design, so probably!

As for running one? Take a look at the old PrC Contests. Typically just setting a theme and a discussion thread, making sure to make the voting threads at the right times, and encouraging discussion.

inuyasha
2015-04-11, 12:58 PM
Thanks so much Djinn! We might just get a new contest soon. I'm thinking "Inuyasha's Whimsical Workshop"

I really need to get back into being on these boards more often, I barely homebrew anymore! At least not anything very noteworthy anyway.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-11, 01:06 PM
Thanks so much Djinn! We might just get a new contest soon. I'm thinking "Inuyasha's Whimsical Workshop"

I really need to get back into being on these boards more often, I barely homebrew anymore! At least not anything very noteworthy anyway.

I'd avoid your name in a contest: makes it seem more like a collection of your material rather than a community thread.

inuyasha
2015-04-11, 01:16 PM
I'd avoid your name in a contest: makes it seem more like a collection of your material rather than a community thread.

OK, thanks! I'm in the middle of making the thread right now, so this was helpful :)