PDA

View Full Version : CR for Spaceships

Jimp
2007-04-14, 12:54 PM
SLIGHT SPOLIER FOR PEOPLE IN MY D20 FUTURE GAME

So I was planning a battle between two spaceships for part of an upcoming game and everything was fine and dandy until the very end. I couldn't figure out how much XP to give the side that won.
Should it depend on the pilot/crew's level? For example, a level 2 pilot in fighter would end up as a CR 2 fight. If so, what about larger ships like gunships or cruisers that have large crews?
Should it depend on the ship? For example, a standard fighter might be CR 3 while a destroyer might be CR 10.
Should it be some kind of combination? This seems like the most likely option but I can't figure out how to work it.
Any suggestions?

This also applies to ship Vs ship battles in regular D&D, sort of.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-04-14, 01:14 PM
If the PCs have comparable spaceships, I'd go by pilot level. If the PCs have superior ships, there'd be a deduction, and if the PCs are in inferior ships, a bonus.

I'd adjust the impact of pilot level, though, dependant on how much that affects their ability to fly the ship. If a fight between a level x and a level x+4 in spaceships is equivalent to a fight between them on the ground, no adjustment, but if the ship's limits handicap the superior pilot, or the higher-level pilot is specialized elsewhere so the other is actually a superior pilot, then I'd adjust the CR toward APL.

(Edited since I forgot something): Likewise, if the ships exaggerate the differences between pilots, I'd push CR further away. I see this being less likely, though.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-14, 05:04 PM
or total the CR of everyone on board the ship :smallcool:

Jimp
2007-04-15, 12:10 PM
Any other suggestions? So far I Got This Name's one sounds like the most likely.

Diggorian
2007-04-15, 12:21 PM
Name got it right.

NPC levels are the basis of the CR, which is then modified by their equipment advantages. CR estimation is essentially comparing attack bonus and number, damage potential, plus how many attacks can be sustained between sides of a conflict.

Dant
2007-04-15, 01:58 PM
So (Slightly off topic), the question becomes, what CR is the Deathstar? And how much exp does Luke get for killing the first one?

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-15, 02:22 PM
Or, conversely, who gets the XP for all those people on Alderan?

TheElfLord
2007-04-15, 02:24 PM
Or, conversely, who gets the XP for all those people on Alderan?

No one, blowing up a planet of unarmed people from space with a giant laser isn't a challenge.

Diggorian
2007-04-15, 02:35 PM
So (Slightly off topic), the question becomes, what CR is the Deathstar? And how exp does Luke get for killing the first one?

You'd take the levels of the TIE pilots (including Vader) and Tower gunners he faced to get the CR. He's got to split it with the Rebel fighters (half share for NPCs, maybe full for Biggs and Wedge), Han, Chewie, and maybe R2. Plus, a nice story award would be in order.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-15, 03:23 PM
the average of ship and pilot or sommat. cause i guarentee a 10th level pilot in a fighter would get blown apart by a 1st or 2nd level in a huge destroyer