PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me a System

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-04-10, 06:52 PM
Hello ladies, gents, giants, dragons, and unspeakable shoggoths! I seem to always be looking for a new RPG system, whether because my group's looking for something new, or because something took my fancy and I'm following the breadcrumbs to find out how stale/delicious the loaf is. Recently, I came across a thread (not linked here for your own protection) where this game came up (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10274.phtml).

Now, this sort of thing fascinated me. I love looking at well-crafted games that take all sort of things into consideration, from tactical movement and stances, to poison and disease. This sounded like a really fun thing to do, and the historical stuff certainly helped make the sell!

And then I found out there isn't an English version of the linked game anywhere. :smallfrown: Much sad. Many tears.

But now I have that itch, and I MUST SCRATCH IT!

tl;dr: Need a simulationist-leaning system that covers gritty combat (rapier duels, early firearms, zweihanders, and point blank knife fights), robust social rules (honor, station, hierarchy, etc), and realistic disease and poison rules (got crit'd and didn't die? lose an eye). Magic optional, but preferred to remain low/uncommon.

No GURPS. Nothing against the system, but I don't wanna buy 28 books to do everything I want.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-10, 06:57 PM
No GURPS. Nothing against the system, but I don't wanna buy 28 books to do everything I want.

GURPS 4e covers all the basics in two books. They kind of got carried away in 3e so they did a massive consolidation.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-04-10, 07:06 PM
GURPS 4e covers all the basics in two books. They kind of got carried away in 3e so they did a massive consolidation.

Oh? Um. Which ones?

kyoryu
2015-04-10, 07:09 PM
Oh? Um. Which ones?

Whatever teh two "core" books are - characters and campaigns or something like that?

Even with 3e, the core book would probably get you 90% of the way there.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-04-10, 07:10 PM
Whatever teh two "core" books are - characters and campaigns or something like that?

Even with 3e, the core book would probably get you 90% of the way there.

So should I go 3e or 4e? And what do I need to bridge the 10% gap?

See, this is why I said no GURPS! :smallbiggrin:

kyoryu
2015-04-10, 07:54 PM
So should I go 3e or 4e? And what do I need to bridge the 10% gap?

See, this is why I said no GURPS! :smallbiggrin:

I'd probably go 4e. It'll do you just fine.

I don't think I've ever used more than one or two extra books when running a GURPS game.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-04-10, 08:00 PM
I'd probably go 4e. It'll do you just fine.

I don't think I've ever used more than one or two extra books when running a GURPS game.

But which ones would you recommend?

Maglubiyet
2015-04-10, 09:00 PM
But which ones would you recommend?

GURPS Campaigns and GURPS Characters -- those two have everything you need to run a full campaign.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-04-10, 09:20 PM
GURPS Campaigns and GURPS Characters -- those two have everything you need to run a full campaign.

I've heard that there's some sort of Symbol-based magic system in GURPS? Any idea which book has that?

Verte
2015-04-10, 09:30 PM
Yeah, GURPS Campaigns and Characters have all of those rules. The only thing is since it's well, generic, you may want to read up a bit on 16th century history in order to work out the details of the setting yourself - however, you'd probably want to do that if you were running El Juego de Rol del Capitán Alatriste anyway. So, I'd think like the two GURPS books and maybe a couple history books are what you'd need.

JAL_1138
2015-04-10, 09:41 PM
The Riddle of Steel may be a bit light on the "tactical" side if you want 4th-style stances and powers, but it goes all-out on having historically-accurate weaponry, with different stats for such similar weapons as the schiavona, mortuary-hilt, and the basket-hilt claymore, all rated on multiple forms of attack.