PDA

View Full Version : Help Building Grenade Weapons

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-14, 01:22 PM
I'm going to be playing an artificer in an upcoming campaign and I was wondering if it would be possible to contain spells in single use, grenade type weapons.

I'm not talking about alchemists fire and all that stuff, though what I create I would like to work similarly.

I'm wondering if there is a way to make, say, a ceramic sphere that acts as a fireball when it breaks?

Need some of the boards expert homebrew advice on this:

What type of item creation feat would be used?

Is this remotely cost effective?

Thanks!

ZekeArgo
2007-04-14, 01:29 PM
I'm going to be playing an artificer in an upcoming campaign and I was wondering if it would be possible to contain spells in single use, grenade type weapons.

I'm not talking about alchemists fire and all that stuff, though what I create I would like to work similarly.

I'm wondering if there is a way to make, say, a ceramic sphere that acts as a fireball when it breaks?

Need some of the boards expert homebrew advice on this:

What type of item creation feat would be used?

Is this remotely cost effective?

Thanks!

I'd say: Make them alternate scrolls. As long as your not doing nutty things like trying to make touch spells into ranged spells just substitute "odd hand gestures" with "reading ceramic/glass thing" and boom: spells on the go

PinkysBrain
2007-04-14, 03:02 PM
The alchemist savant PrC from MoE can brew spell vials, but using those often is a very expensive way of fighting (priced like a potion, but 50% more expensive).

Jasdoif
2007-04-14, 03:35 PM
The closest match I can find in the SRD is the necklace of fireballs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofFireballs), whose bead prices coincidence with the "single use, use activated" guidelines.

Basically, spell level * caster level * 50gp and Craft Wondrous Item should do it (if your DM allows).

Annarrkkii
2007-04-14, 04:28 PM
I'd use Craft Wondrous Items and just price them as potions. I'd place the same limit on them as potions, as well, and keep it to lvl. 3 or lower spells.

Jimp
2007-04-14, 05:02 PM
Page 138 of Complete Arcane lists the attributes that a scroll must have. As long as you follow those you should be able to make 'scrolls' that are thrown like grenades.

Kultrum
2007-04-14, 05:35 PM
Page 138 of Complete Arcane lists the attributes that a scroll must have. As long as you follow those you should be able to make 'scrolls' that are thrown like grenades.

ya the tile would work, it casts the spell when it breaks

PinkysBrain
2007-04-14, 05:41 PM
It casts the spell when broken as a standard action. It's not the actual breaking which activates it, it's the being broken in a specific way by a person with the right magical abilities performing mental actions while doing so.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-14, 06:26 PM
If there's a PrC whose features include the ability to make a spell grenade item, I would be leery of simply making the ability available to anyone with Brew Potion or Craft Wondrous Item (CWI itself allowing you to make about 75-90% of the items in any given book anyway).