PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best class for Controller/area effect spells

Igotchanow
2015-04-11, 02:14 PM
Hello I am joining a pathfinder group and I have not played pathfinder before. I have played D&D 3.0 and 3.5 but it has been several years. Anyway I am looking to play a caster that can control the battlefield and has some good area effect. Direct damage would be great as well but mostly would like to focus on control/area effect. SO what suggestions do you all have for me? I can use anything from the d20pfsrd site for my build. Now I know everyone is going to have there own opinion, I would just like some options, Like which classes are best for this. Feel free to share builds or links to builds or how to build this option. Thanks

Elricaltovilla
2015-04-11, 02:34 PM
Wizard. Pick AoE spells, particularly walls, clouds and pits, many of which can be found in the conjuration and abjuration schools. Summoning spells are also your friend, especially if you're summoning multiple creatures you can place them strategically to provide flanking for allies or block off choke points, as well as greatly increase your action economy.

Good metamagics include Widen, Dazing and Lingering Spell. Bouncing can also be fun for single target spells you want to use.

AnonymousPepper
2015-04-11, 02:35 PM
I'd go with a Druid, probably. Wizard would also work (always does) or better yet an Arcanist, but Druids have the utility of dem summons in addition to good battlefield control spells, which, if regular BFC spells don't work, will tarpit enemies just as well as proper BFC. Plus, Wizards are overdone anyway.

Necromancy
2015-04-11, 03:57 PM
Avoid summons, they slow down the game

Dazing spell is horribly fun (and broken) when used with wall spells and the like.

Pit spells are your friends

Magical lineage/metamagic master traits