PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How do we transport a mythallar to hell?

MrWoodchip
2015-04-11, 08:53 PM
We need to do this at the lowest level possible, but can hire who we need. Getting in to steal it isn't an issue (invisibility, silence, lead sheets etc), but getting it out is. We can't just plane shift it because that only works on creatures, we can't use dimensional door as it only works up to 20ft, and the mythallar is 150ft, and we can't shrink object, because it's magical. Also we can't touch it with anything as it kills anything it touches.

We need suggestions.

MrWoodchip
2015-04-11, 09:05 PM
Alternately, other extremely powerful sources of magic would work. We need to hide a city permanently.

With a box
2015-04-11, 09:19 PM
Assume it isn't an artifact.
1. cast extended dispel magic on it. supress it for 1d4 round
2. now it's nonmagical item for 1d4 round, so shrink it.
(A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect.)
or better, polymorph any object it into a chicken
3. move it to hell in 1d4 round

MrWoodchip
2015-04-11, 09:56 PM
Assume it isn't an artifact.
1. cast extended dispel magic on it. supress it for 1d4 round
2. now it's nonmagical item for 1d4 round, so shrink it.
(A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect.)
or better, polymorph any object it into a chicken
3. move it to hell in 1d4 round

Well they are literally magic generators that create it from the weave, so dispelling might not work, but I suppose it's up to the GM. Otherwise, this seems like a solid plan. Thanks.

BWR
2015-04-12, 04:26 AM
Would a mythallar work in Hell? They channel the Weave directly, and I'm pretty sure the Weave doesn't extend beyond Abeir-Toril.

MrWoodchip
2015-04-12, 11:26 AM
Would a mythallar work in Hell? They channel the Weave directly, and I'm pretty sure the Weave doesn't extend beyond Abeir-Toril.

Well there goes that plan up in smoke.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-12, 12:20 PM
The only Mythallar i know of is the minor artifact from LEoF that allows item creation without XP cost that only function in it's area of effect.
I don't know how you'd use one to hide a city, why you'd have trouble transporting it (it's described as a man-sized crystal, which any decently buffed fighter type should be capable of lifting) or any of the other problems you describe.

Is there another item of the same name (if so, source please) or are those houserules? In the second case you should probably tell us what those are.:smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2015-04-12, 12:56 PM
The only Mythallar i know of is the minor artifact from LEoF that allows item creation without XP cost that only function in it's area of effect.
I don't know how you'd use one to hide a city, why you'd have trouble transporting it (it's described as a man-sized crystal, which any decently buffed fighter type should be capable of lifting) or any of the other problems you describe.

Is there another item of the same name (if so, source please) or are those houserules? In the second case you should probably tell us what those are.:smalltongue:

Mythallars are no longer functioning items of yestertimes (Netheril) which acted like a magic battery for spell effects. Their primary use was in the creation of flying cities called Enclaves, but were also used in the making of quasimagical devices as you referenced. They appear in Netheril: Empire of Magic in AD&D, where they were 150 ft. Radius orbs of disintegration. They can only be made using 10th level spells, and are basically Mythal+. They do function off world though, with one in the Elemental Plane of Shadow. The easy solution to getting it to the Abyss is to make the area around the mythallar a dead magic zone and then use the shadow weave to planeshift it. If you are using the old rules for 10th level spells you can still cast True Dweomers using the shadow weave, and there is one in the Arcane Age expansion which lets you make dead magic zones.

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 12:17 PM

I have no idea what LEOF is.

Werephilosopher
2015-04-13, 12:22 PM
I have no idea what LEOF is.

Lost Empires of Faerun.

daremetoidareyo
2015-04-13, 04:53 PM
I like me a puzzle.

1. Why does this thing need to be transported to hell? Have you thought about a high caster level scroll of animate object? Once animated, you can planeshift the badboy, cuz it is now a creature.

2. Alternatively travel to the thing with undead beings and big old wagon tongue. Cast high level levitate on the myrtheolor and slip a wagon chassis underneath it. Then cast haunt shift onto the wagon chassis to infuse into the thing, making it become a poltergeist. The undead can now move the wheels. Then have the thing roll out with you to a transportation circle or something else creative. Bring a cleric or 3 along to "turn" it in whatever direction you would like.

3. Planar binding: problem solving. Hire a devil with a super high intelligence (Baalor), and ask him for tips and pointers, pay him off, don't cheat him. The DM will then give one of the most plausible/deadly options for this.

The thing literally disintegrates all life and material that it comes into contact with, except for it's big evil stand. Make a commune spell with some sort of modron astronomer for the calculations necessary to do the following:

Calculate the exact location on the other side of the planet from the mythallar. Scry that location. If it is over water, stop. This is a terrible idea:see below.

Calculate how long it would take a glass sphere to reach the center of the planet by dropping it (gravity). Double that amount of time, that is how long it will take to disintegrate its way through the planet.

Cast a high level levitate on the stand so that it lifts the ball about a few feet off the ground. You want at least 10 feet or so to compensate for resistance.

Cast teleport object on just the stand, moving it nearby.

Turn the stand upside down.

The giant ball will now fall onto the ground. It will disintegrate a hole though the earth, through the center and out the other side of the planet. out of which it will fall "up" approximately 10 feet-resistance.

When it breaches the surface, cast a quickened teleport object on the upside down stand again. But you have to time it perfectly, so that it falls out of the otherside of the planet, before gravity again pulls it through the disintegration hole to bounce back towards you.

The mythelaor will land on the stand.

Doing this will mean that they mythallar is upside down on the stand however, I'm not sure if that is important. Magic is weird.

Once it is on the other side of the earth, it's yours to play with. Maybe you could arrange for someone to take it to hell from there. Maybe mage hand + greater teleport.

Also, you might have to deal with earthquakes and volcanic eruptions from this option.

Caveat, if it comes out of the other side of the planet in the ocean, this gets really messy. As it moved, would disintegrate the water. If it isn't in a symmetrical basin, that means that there would be different currents hitting it at different angles which could make it disintegrate everything in the ocean and continue to bounce around in the inner earth, tearing its way around as it bounces around, hollowing out the planet and making gravity lighter until resistance caused it to just stay in the core, which it would disintegrate entirely, messing up basically everything about the planet