PDA

View Full Version : I cannot for the life of me remember what this is

erok0809
2015-04-11, 10:09 PM
Can anyone help me remember a source and name for a monster/thing? I remember that it's been used in some instances of theoretical optimization to make yourself immune to damage. The monster or whatever it is is (I believe) created by a deity or something to kill a single person. Once it has a target, it only seeks out that person, and can only take damage from that target, no other sources. If I remember correctly, it has the deathless type or subtype, but that could be wrong, same as the created by a deity. I know the thing about being immune to damage is true though. Can anyone tell me what this thing is and where it's from, or if I made it up? It's been bothering me for a while now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

PsyBomb
2015-04-11, 10:15 PM
Can anyone help me remember a source and name for a monster/thing? I remember that it's been used in some instances of theoretical optimization to make yourself immune to damage. The monster or whatever it is is (I believe) created by a deity or something to kill a single person. Once it has a target, it only seeks out that person, and can only take damage from that target, no other sources. If I remember correctly, it has the deathless type or subtype, but that could be wrong, same as the created by a deity. I know the thing about being immune to damage is true though. Can anyone tell me what this thing is and where it's from, or if I made it up? It's been bothering me for a while now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I believe you are talking about an Aleax, though I do not remember what the source is for it.

erok0809
2015-04-11, 10:21 PM
I believe you are talking about an Aleax, though I do not remember what the source is for it.

Yes, thank you! I'd still like the source, but that's exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-11, 10:25 PM
Its from BoED p158

Vizzerdrix
2015-04-11, 11:22 PM
If I remember, don't you get a stat boost for beating it or something?

bekeleven
2015-04-11, 11:35 PM
If I remember, don't you get a stat boost for beating it or something?

+2 to initiative, and a marginally less murderous deity.

Vizzerdrix
2015-04-11, 11:41 PM
+2 to initiative, and a marginally less murderous deity.

Oooh. Looking at it now. +2 wis, +1 Init, +2 AC, and SR = to the aleax's HD. This needs to be a thing. Ticking off the Gods for fun and prophet handbook thingy sort of deal.

The Viscount
2015-04-12, 12:01 AM
You do gain a stat boost from defeating it, but the primary (ab)use of it involves using something like Ice Assassin Aleax minions to kill other targets, the idea being that because you do not use an Aleax of your enemy, the enemy cannot damage it.

Afgncaap5
2015-04-12, 12:30 AM
You do gain a stat boost from defeating it, but the primary (ab)use of it involves using something like Ice Assassin Aleax minions to kill other targets, the idea being that because you do not use an Aleax of your enemy, the enemy cannot damage it.

Something this tied in to DM fiat looks like it's just screaming for a DM to say "You've now surrounded yourself with a dozen Ice Assassin Aleax's. The deity's power thus increased, roll for initiative against them." I mean, sure, you made them, but if anyone can trump magic I'd bet a deity capable of creating an Aleax could. Still... not a bad idea.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-12, 02:44 AM
Something this tied in to DM fiat looks like it's just screaming for a DM to say "You've now surrounded yourself with a dozen Ice Assassin Aleax's. The deity's power thus increased, roll for initiative against them." I mean, sure, you made them, but if anyone can trump magic I'd bet a deity capable of creating an Aleax could. Still... not a bad idea.

The whole thing depends on the ridiculous interpretation that a spell component pouch includes parts of every creature possible, since they don't have a listed price.

Andezzar
2015-04-12, 02:51 AM
The whole thing depends on the ridiculous interpretation that a spell component pouch includes parts of every creature possible, since they don't have a listed price.Either that or using the less ridiculous method of removing the need for the material component (which by definition has negligible cost) through Eschew Materials.

SiuiS
2015-04-12, 02:52 AM

Defeating an Aleax requires nothing more than access to third level spells, some downtime, and the knowledge that you'll have to defeat an Aleax. Specific > general is a thing. Add a "this spell can hurt an Aleax" to a personal version of your favorite offensive spell and you're good.

The whole thing depends on the ridiculous interpretation that a spell component pouch includes parts of every creature possible, since they don't have a listed price.

Yeah... And it also requires the faulty assumption that an Aleax has a body ever. Most times you get this through "I wish for a scroll of Ice Assassin of an Aleax of [target]". Or the weirdness of eschew materials style abuse, in one of those instances where the "material component" isn't a material but a targeting rubric for the spell.

Like teleport through time. You need a flower picked from the location you're teleporting to which has never been touched by human hands, or whatever. Eschewing materials would work, but would teleport you to a nonexistent place of nonexistence. Because that's what you're using for targeting materials.

Jormengand
2015-04-12, 03:14 AM
Like teleport through time. You need a flower picked from the location you're teleporting to which has never been touched by human hands, or whatever. Eschewing materials would work, but would teleport you to a nonexistent place of nonexistence. Because that's what you're using for targeting materials.

Well no, it can teleport you to anywhere you like, because Eschew means that you don't need a flower picked from the location you're teleporting to which has never been touched by human hands, or whatever.

icefractal
2015-04-12, 04:45 AM
There do come some times, like this, when it would be useful if D&D had a distinction between normal material components and "result determining" material components.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-12, 05:28 AM
There do come some times, like this, when it would be useful if D&D had a distinction between normal material components and "result determining" material components.

That's what you have a DM for. If your player goes "oh i take Eschew Materials, then i make an Ice Assassin of Pelor" you simply say no. It's ridiculously obvious that Eschew Materials wasn't intended to do that, it breaks the game to pieces, it doesn't add to anybodys fun. The answer is no. Problem solved.

DeltaEmil
2015-04-12, 07:22 AM
The main abuse of the Aleax is to capture it, mind-switch with it, and then dispose of your original body with the Aleax's mind, so that you're permanently invincible inside a body that is absolutely like yours, but better, and nothing can ever affect you, not even the deity who created the Aleax in the first place, because you still haven't destroyed the Aleax (which is your own permanent body now).

At least, it's something like that. I don't know the specific details, but generally, it's all about becoming an invincible and immortal spellcaster.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-12, 10:13 AM
The main abuse of the Aleax is to capture it, mind-switch with it, and then dispose of your original body with the Aleax's mind, so that you're permanently invincible inside a body that is absolutely like yours, but better, and nothing can ever affect you, not even the deity who created the Aleax in the first place, because you still haven't destroyed the Aleax (which is your own permanent body now).

At least, it's something like that. I don't know the specific details, but generally, it's all about becoming an invincible and immortal spellcaster.

A few issues I see with that tho
CREATING AN ALEAX

"Type: Changes to construct"
That may put a hamper into the plans of that, but warforged are not immune to mind effecting so maybe

"Hit Dice: Changes to 10-sided Hit Dice"
Means that they get the shaft if fighting a warblade or barbarian :P

"Shapechange (Sp): An aleax can shapechange at will,"
As what the book says, it can change into a couple of forms related to the god it was made under, and gains all of the creatures ability's. On top of that this skill is used as a 20th level caster, so if the Aleax was lv 3, it can shapeshift into a 20hd monster and wipe the floor with you.

Doing a paragraph here
Construct Traits: An aleax has immunity to poison, magic sleep
effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromancy
effects, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms,
patterns, and morale effects), and any effect that requires
a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects or is harmless. It
is not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage,
ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. Cannot heal
damage, but can be repaired. An aleax is immediately destroyed
when reduced to 0 hp or less.

So that ruins quite a few spells.
Oh and it has true seeing as well.

I would very much like to see some combo's that you guys have used to topple that at lower levels, because frankly unless you are a rogue with crazy hide and get the drop on him with the ability to sneak attack for half, I dont see a way to fight him once he shape shifts.

Tvtyrant
2015-04-12, 04:33 PM
The Eschew Components trick implies that unnamed prices are always less than a few GP, as opposed to "Price is infinite." I just houserule that if you can't reasonably find it at a market, it is not for sale and cannot be eschewed. If you want to get an Aleax Ice Assassin of yourself, you will need to piss off a god and then defeat an Aleax of yourself to do it.

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 10:32 AM
The Eschew Components trick implies that unnamed prices are always less than a few GP, as opposed to "Price is infinite." I just houserule that if you can't reasonably find it at a market, it is not for sale and cannot be eschewed. If you want to get an Aleax Ice Assassin of yourself, you will need to piss off a god and then defeat an Aleax of yourself to do it.

Well, this depends on interpretation. Does not listed equal zero?

Psyren
2015-04-13, 10:39 AM
There's also the other problem with Ice Assassin, in that it has "an all-consuming need to slay the original." Just making one and having it do all sorts of other things besides its actual mission wouldn't necessarily fly.

Flickerdart
2015-04-13, 11:08 AM
Absolutes colliding is one of those immovable object vs irresistible force dealies. Personally I'd rule that you can give the Ice Assassin any order, but it will try to subvert them as best it can to do its job - and if you made one of a being just as smart as you are (or smarter) then it's got good odds of outsmarting you even when you thought you gave it bulletproof orders.