PDA

View Full Version : Stupid RAWverse Campaign?

With a box
2015-04-12, 05:44 AM
I'm trying to make a world(low OP) with strict RAW.
in other word: A world that things like drown healing or tripped flying creature teleported to ground are completly normal.:smalltongue:
Unless that contradict with itself. then I will choose one of them randomly.
What would such universe look like?

Ephemeral_Being
2015-04-12, 05:49 AM
It won't be Low-OP.

See: Tippyverse.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-12, 05:52 AM
Monks would come with literal "Kick me!" signs on their backs, because they have nonproficiency with their unarmed strikes. That means they start the game at -6 to hit with Flurry of Misses. They can select their Bonus Feats without meeting prerequisites, but cannot then use the feats until they satisfy all prerequisites.

Very, very sad.

Eloel
2015-04-12, 07:13 AM
Monks would come with literal "Kick me!" signs on their backs, because they have nonproficiency with their unarmed strikes. That means they start the game at -6 to hit with Flurry of Misses. They can select their Bonus Feats without meeting prerequisites, but cannot then use the feats until they satisfy all prerequisites.

Very, very sad.

Why would Monks exist?

Curmudgeon
2015-04-12, 07:20 AM
Why would Monks exist?
In a world functioning strictly by RAW, all the legal classes must exist.

The Tippyverse, on the other hand, wouldn't exist. Tippy assumes a world (i.e., DMs) accepting things the rules don't require, like custom magic traps.

Eloel
2015-04-12, 07:23 AM

The Tippyverse, on the other hand, wouldn't exist. Tippy assumes a world (i.e., DMs) accepting things the rules don't require, like custom magic traps.

I'd say all monks would multiclass into other classes, with a dead level giving them slightly better saves. There wouldn't be any actual monks except the level 1 monks that're slightly better than commoners.

The world would cease to exist as soon as a Warblade hits level 5, and if this is known beforehand, Warblades would face extinction.

Amphetryon
2015-04-12, 07:39 AM

Is Runescarred Berserker a legal Class, for these purposes? Assuming the most recent rules of 3.5 have priority, how does one come into being?

Is the 10th level of Dragon Disciple a legal Class level? How does one gain XP at that level?

Uncle Pine
2015-04-12, 07:44 AM
Every 1st level character would break the WBL by selling 10-foot poles. This also means that monks would be as useless as everyone else because they would buy amulets of mighty fists +NI and bracers of armor +NI, effectively having +NI to-hit and NI AC. Just like everyone else. Everyone would also have +NI to every save, and immunity to every effect and spell in the game thanks to spellblades and such.

Brova
2015-04-12, 08:11 AM
Everyone acquires a wish (Pazuzu, Candles, chain binding, whatever) and wishes for an Belt of Magnificence +infinity with the additional property of giving infinity quickened castings of wish at caster level infinity. The setting explodes.

Psyren
2015-04-12, 08:13 AM

Actually, I think you could pull it off without custom items/traps - you just need people instead. You do the same thing with the teleportation circles at the nodes of civilization in the wilderness, but now instead of create food traps, you have a bunch of clerics who worship an ideal (say, ending world hunger) enough to get powers from it, and they do a continuous circuit through the circles to feed the populations there. You could even have them be Mystic Theurges, so that they can flavor the gruel with prestidigitation as before. And as far as farming Joy to create magic items, you can use wight + Thought Bottle tricks for infinite crafting XP instead, allowing you to outfit the adventuring class.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-12, 08:14 AM
Every 1st level character would break the WBL by selling 10-foot poles.
And where are these 8-lb. 10' poles supposed to come from? They don't come from ladders, because rungs make up more than 20% of the weight of a 20-lb. ladder.

Amphetryon
2015-04-12, 08:38 AM
And where are these 8-lb. 10' poles supposed to come from? They don't come from ladders, because rungs make up more than 20% of the weight of a 20-lb. ladder.

I was not aware the RAW specified the weight distribution in that way.

Eloel
2015-04-12, 08:44 AM
I was not aware the RAW specified the weight distribution in that way.

It doesn't. Why would anyone assume a ladder can be made into 2 poles, since it's not RAW?

ShurikVch
2015-04-12, 08:48 AM
Monks would come with literal "Kick me!" signs on their backs, because they have nonproficiency with their unarmed strikes. Only humanoids with 1 HD or less.
Humanoids with more than 1 HD (such as Bugbear, Gnoll, Lizardfolk, Locathah, Skulk, Troglodyte, and almost any natural lycanthrope) will keep their "Proficient with all simple weapons".
Same about any non-humanoid monks (except, maybe, Constructs)

Uncle Pine
2015-04-12, 12:15 PM
It doesn't. Why would anyone assume a ladder can be made into 2 poles, since it's not RAW?

A 10-foot pole by RAW is a 10-foot stick you can use to activate trap from afar instead of using your hand. A 10-foot ladder by RAW is a straight, simple wooden ladder. As a ladder, it is composed of two long sticks and several short ones. Either you see where this is going, or substitute the first 3 words of this post with "Pazuzu".

Another thing you should expect to see in a RAWverse campaign are huge zeppelins-like vehicles filled with holy water, as holy water is by RAW less dense than air.

Threadnaught
2015-04-12, 12:23 PM

Field Provisions Box.
Doesn't have to be a Trap, could just have canteens to feed up to 15 people per Magic Item. Teleportation Circle is a legal target for Permanency, which is what the Tippyverse requires, instant mass transit.

ace rooster
2015-04-12, 12:42 PM
The entire universe would rapidly be composed of undead. Wights most likely, but with a good number of shadows and wraiths. High level characters are unlikely to exist when it starts, as level 7 wizards can do it by mistake, and level 1 builds exist that can start it too.

With regards to the 10' pole thing, surely that falls under the craft rules? If you break a ladder, all you end up with is a broken ladder, which has no value. You might be able to turn these into 10ft poles, but it will need a craft check and a timescale of days. You will probably need some other supplies too.

Kurald Galain
2015-04-12, 12:45 PM
A 10-foot pole by RAW is a 10-foot stick you can use to activate trap from afar instead of using your hand. A 10-foot ladder by RAW is a straight, simple wooden ladder. As a ladder, it is composed of two long sticks and several short ones. Either you see where this is going, or substitute the first 3 words of this post with "Pazuzu".

So what you're saying is "Pazuzu by RAW is a 10-foot stick you can use to activate trap from afar..." :smallbiggrin:

Eloel
2015-04-12, 12:46 PM
So what you're saying is "Pazuzu by RAW is a 10-foot stick you can use to activate trap from afar..." :smallbiggrin:

"Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu by RAW is a 10-foot stick you can use to activate trap from afar..."

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2015-04-12, 01:21 PM
A 10-foot pole by RAW is a 10-foot stick you can use to activate trap from afar instead of using your hand.
Except that's only part of the specification. It's a 10' stick which apparently must weigh 8 lbs. to be effective.

Surpriser
2015-04-12, 03:47 PM
I am going to go ahead and say it: There is no such thing as RAW (as contrasted by "Rules as Interpreted"). Each and every reading of the rules is an interpretation and sticking strictly to the "RAW" will still require adjudication and interpretation on your part. Possibly even more, because "that does not make sense at all" and "obviously, this was meant as XY" are no longer valid arguments.

Simply look at the argument already started about poles and ladders, where multiple different opinions already clash on such a minor point, that should be well defined enough... (Btw, there are no rules about turning any item into another item. There are only raw materials and crafted items. As both a pole and the ladder are crafted items, none can be turned into the other)

That said, if you still want to use a very literal interpretation of the rules, expect a campaign full of silliness and rules disputes, where the most creative and argumentative players rule and/or destroy the universe. "Low-OP" is not really a relevant term here.

Uncle Pine
2015-04-12, 03:49 PM

That's basically it. Why would you risk your life activating a trap when you can sell your soul to a powerful demon lord to make him do it in your place? :smallbiggrin:

j_spencer93
2015-04-12, 05:45 PM

Another thing you should expect to see in a RAWverse campaign are huge zeppelins-like vehicles filled with holy water, as holy water is by RAW less dense than air.

where does it say that about holy water???

Grod_The_Giant
2015-04-12, 05:55 PM
where does it say that about holy water???
A flask weighs 1.5 pounds, and a flask of holy water only weighs one. (Same for flasks of acid and alchemist's fire, but that's not a good bet for filling a blimp)

Curmudgeon
2015-04-12, 08:22 PM
A flask weighs 1.5 pounds, and a flask of holy water only weighs one.
That's not exactly what the rules say:

Holy water (flask)
You're reading that as "a flask filled with holy water". I read it as "enough holy water to fill a flask" (which you would need to supply).

Urpriest
2015-04-12, 08:37 PM
Multiclassed characters never live in settlements of 20 or more, since they're not included on the demographics tables. Similarly, multiclassed PCs can never settle permanently in a settlement of 20 or more.

Amphetryon
2015-04-12, 08:57 PM

Holy water (flask)
You're reading that as "a flask filled with holy water". I read it as "enough holy water to fill a flask" (which you would need to supply).

"Enough holy water to fill a flask" may well be how you choose to read it, but it's not what is actually written, and what is actually written is what matters in a RAWverse campaign. Can you supply the proof your reading is, in fact, the RAW and not the RAISTA?

Curmudgeon
2015-04-12, 09:21 PM
"Enough holy water to fill a flask" may well be how you choose to read it, but it's not what is actually written, and what is actually written is what matters in a RAWverse campaign.
What's written is unclear, which means there is no definitive RAW reading. This is different from the Monk class description, where there clearly is no RAW proficiency with unarmed strikes.

Der_DWSage
2015-04-13, 05:41 AM
There's actually a long, funny story about a RAW-world... (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9669819/1/The-Two-Year-Emperor)

Rubik
2015-04-13, 05:44 AM
There's actually a long, funny story about a RAW-world... (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9669819/1/The-Two-Year-Emperor)You monk'd me!

Damnit!

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 09:15 AM
What's written is unclear, which means there is no definitive RAW reading. This is different from the Monk class description, where there clearly is no RAW proficiency with unarmed strikes.

Which is still hilarious to me.

Also, the poles thing is moot, because don't the ten-foot poles collapse? Unlike ladder sides?

j_spencer93
2015-04-16, 10:04 AM
i always just assumed it was a different type of flask honestly.

Psyren
2015-04-16, 10:18 AM

Holy water (flask)

This is a valid reading.

Multiclassed characters never live in settlements of 20 or more, since they're not included on the demographics tables. Similarly, multiclassed PCs can never settle permanently in a settlement of 20 or more.

Actually, the demographics tables don't specify level. So it could very well be that one of the wizards in the magic district is a barbarian in his spare time or something. As long as more than one person multiclasses, it's possible for the totals to still match.

Urpriest
2015-04-16, 10:55 AM
Actually, the demographics tables don't specify level. So it could very well be that one of the wizards in the magic district is a barbarian in his spare time or something. As long as more than one person multiclasses, it's possible for the totals to still match.

Not sure what you mean by "they don't specify level". They certainly specify level of some sort, but there is some ambiguity about whether it's character level or class level if that's what you mean.

Psyren
2015-04-16, 10:57 AM
Not sure what you mean by "they don't specify level". They certainly specify level of some sort, but there is some ambiguity about whether it's character level or class level if that's what you mean.

We might be looking at different tables. I'm looking at the ones from the DMG Web Enhancement, which breaks down the numbers for a Metropolis (which can have every class) by district.

Urpriest
2015-04-16, 10:59 AM
We might be looking at different tables. I'm looking at the ones from the DMG Web Enhancement, which breaks down the numbers for a Metropolis (which can have every class) by district.

That's just a special case of the ones in the DMG, though, since it only covers Metropolises. You still need the original DMG rules for cities to generate any other city. Unless you're saying you weren't aware of those?