PDA

View Full Version : Characters, and how to name them

HealytheHealslime
2007-04-14, 05:59 PM
See, I have a problem. I can't think of good character names off the cuff to save my life. It's not so bad since I'm mostly a player and not a DM/GM/whatever, but it can still get pretty bad, and it's much worse if I have to make up names for people/things besides my character, too (like for backgrounds and whatnot).

So, I ask of you, good people of Giant in the Playground Forums, what strategies and/or resources do you use to combat this problem? How do you think up names for things besides characters (like gods, kingdoms, taverns, etc.,)?

And if you want to just whine about your own lack of ability to think up names, OR talk about some really awful and/or good names you've come across, well you can do that here, too.

Fizban
2007-04-14, 06:02 PM
Run a google search for "fantasy names", or click this link (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=fantasy+names&btnG=Google+Search) to one. That's what I do.

goat
2007-04-14, 06:11 PM
Well, either by using name tables that come in some books, or by thinking of as many possible names as I can in my head until I get to one I like.

For naming members of those races with an affinity for strings of 9 consonants and random apostraphes, a set of scrabble tiles or boggle dice can be useful.

Tavern names are pretty easy. The [noun] and [noun]. The [noun]'s [part of previous noun]. The [adjective] [noun]. Or they could be named after a local animal/insect or famous figure, or a fighting move/style. A tavern called Rolibar's Gambit wouldn't be out of place.

Threeshades
2007-04-14, 06:14 PM
I have a whole set different strategies for character naming. I use whatever appeals me the most:

1. Roll the name: I roll a d20 and check whatever letter is the results number in the alphabet. Sometimes i add a d4 to also get letters after V. For the second letter i roll another d20. Depending if the first was a vowel the next is going to be a consonant and if the first was a consonant the next is going to be a vowel (so if it has to be a vowel I roll a D6 and repeat it as long as 6es appear and the result is the letter how it appears in the order of vowels, for consonants I use a d20 and exclude the number 20). The rest of the name i just somehow put something together that fits there.

2. The foreign language trick: I often use languages people in my country usually dont speak to make a character. I just take two terms that fit to my character and translate them to another language. Personally i prefer Hungarian it often makes nice fantasy-like sounding names. An example is my former Fighter character. A red haired woman whom i called Róka Piros (which means in hungarian Fox Red)

3. The fragmentation name: This is a trick i made up with a friend. We just started a campaing and both couldnt think of a name for our characters, so i just noted down names commonly used in the real world, that i like and maybe a few other words and then take out single syllables or fragments from them and put together a name for my Fire Genasi from the word pyro and the names Jonathan and Damien and the outcome was Pyrathien.

Kjata
2007-04-14, 06:18 PM
I just spur-of-the-moment make up a word in my head: Kiel, Zules, Dieki, etc.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-14, 06:24 PM
If I'm having trouble coming up with one on my own, I use the Rinkworks Fantasy Name Generator (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/). It's incredibly flexible; with practice and use of the advanced template option, you can get it to create pretty much any style of name you want.

Threeshades
2007-04-14, 06:38 PM
I just spur-of-the-moment make up a word in my head: Kiel, Zules, Dieki, etc.

oh yes, almost forgot, that's method number 4. Just write down whatever comes to my mind (though this is the most rarely working one)

Saph
2007-04-14, 07:20 PM
For elves and dwarves, Tolkien-based names are always an option. Just find an elvish or dwarvish dictionary and try out variations and combinations until you find one that sounds good.

For halflings and gnomes, no-one will take you seriously anyway, so just come up with something off the top of your head. It doesn't matter what you pick, everyone will forget your name and call you "midget" or "shorty".

For humans - pick a human name. :)

- Saph

Silkenfist
2007-04-14, 07:43 PM
Half-Orcs: Just have fun...

"I Grak Bonesplitter, I uh..."
"You split bones?"
"Yeah! You hiring?"

Rockphed
2007-04-14, 07:56 PM
I roll a d20, 1d20, and look in the appropriate Volume of the Encyclopedia Britanica. Then I roll 1d1000, 1d1000 and look at that page. It doesn't work often, but I got two character names, a Tavern name, and the name of an Empire out of it.

Ionari
2007-04-14, 07:59 PM
The foreign language trick: I often use languages people in my country usually dont speak to make a character. I just take two terms that fit to my character and translate them to another language. Personally i prefer Hungarian it often makes nice fantasy-like sounding names. An example is my former Fighter character. A red haired woman whom i called Róka Piros (which means in hungarian Fox Red).

Alternatively, if you happen not to speak a foreign language, use foreign names that are familiar from the news... Lula, for instance, sounds like an excellent name for a barmaid... Of course, if your fellow gamers have even the least inkling of foreign affairs, you may want to mask the names a little bit to avoid distracting jokes. Enter, Mubakar the sinister conjurer, Rasykoz the brash acrobat-thief, Uerib the silent-vowed monk, Calderno the dashing duelist, etc.

(Courtesy of Egyptian, French, Colombian and Mexican politics respectively).

Or look up the names of law firms. I'm serious. One of the biggest law firms in the US is Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom - five eminently usable names in one blow, to suit any occasion! E.g. Skadden sounds like a fighter-type, while Flom is a halfling or gnome...

Twisted.Fate
2007-04-14, 09:56 PM
If I need a name on the fly, I flip open the PHB or the DMG to the credits page (front of the book) and I slap together a name from there. It's horribly cheap, and you run out real fast, but it works in a pinch.

Kjata
2007-04-14, 10:12 PM
oh yes, almost forgot, that's method number 4. Just write down whatever comes to my mind (though this is the most rarely working one)

It always works with a keyboard in front of you, fairly harder without one.

thorgrim29
2007-04-14, 10:49 PM
I usually take a book, preferably fantasy,and open a random page, or I reference something, like Ruben Rybnik the wizard.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-14, 10:55 PM
I use several tricks, depending on the purpose of the character.

If I want someone to stand out, I give them a weird first name that can be said in about two syllables. More than two syllables will make the character's name difficult to remember. Also, don't make this up out of a noticeable word that already exists- that actually blends into the background just as easily. Foreign languages, however, can work fine. My typical nom de plume in gaming and the internet is "Dentu", which I believed to be completely random until, years later, I discovered that it's also the name of a brand of dental cream in France.

Latin and German are where I get surnames, usually. Sometimes I use French as well, but that language is a little too "pretty" for most of the characters I play as. I try to shy away from using singular words when I do this. Instead, I make a two to three word phrase with the language of choice and use that. See my name here, Einstrauss, for example. It's a composite of the German words Ein and Strauss, together meaning "A Bunch".

Now, a title really jazzes things up. It can be a nickname, a status, an epithet, anything. Epithets are the most common in fantasy roleplaying, so you may want to avoid that and instead go for the nickname or status. You can use a few of these, strung together, to great effect.

Finally, for my own example based on the character I roleplay as the most, and base most of my internet relations on- Viscount Dentu "Daggerfang", "Zerith" Einstrauss. You'll notice how he has two nicknames and a title on top of a full name. The names are memorable mostly because he goes by one of about five combinations of those names at any given time, never all of it together (Viscount Einstrauss, The Zerith, Daggerfang, Dentu Einstrauss, Dentu Zerith). It would be way too confusing to remember all of that together, but seperate parts of it are pretty easy to recall and noticeable without being entirely doofy.

In closing- the most important part to a name is being memorable. The second most important part is not sounding completely ridiculous.

Ravyn
2007-04-14, 10:55 PM
Most of the time, I use a combination of baby name book (buy 'em cheap at your nearest used bookstore, since nobody but writers actually keep them after using them), a couple foreign language dictionaries, and the old string-of-syllables trick. When I have time, it's primarily from the book, and the name usually means something: one of my most recent characters, who went by Niev Tuyet, was a double reference to snow (Spanish modified, Vietnamese from namebook, respectively). And I have this one NPC who... well, suffice it to say that I'm very glad none of my players are looking for meanings of names, because there's a sideplot I've somehow managed to keep intact for more than a year because nobody looked her up in a Japanese dictionary.

HealytheHealslime
2007-04-14, 11:32 PM
Pretty good suggestions, guys. Though, I have to say that the "just-write-whatever-comes-to-you" approach doesn't work for me. For example, a recent character I made was going to be called Fimpy. Yeah.

Part of my problem, though, seems to stem from the fact that I don't like really "fancy-pants names", so to speak. I mean I don't really like the stereotypical fantasy names because... Well, I don't know why really. But I do try to keep my names flavorful, even if they sound a little strange.

Kyace
2007-04-14, 11:49 PM
I roll a d20, 1d20, and look in the appropriate Volume of the Encyclopedia Britanica. Then I roll 1d1000, 1d1000 and look at that page. It doesn't work often, but I got two character names, a Tavern name, and the name of an Empire out of it.
Or, if you are near a computer, try using wikipedia's random article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random) feature. Due to the fact that wikipedia articles follow the long tail model, most of the articles are about topics few people know well and very few people visit.

Destin_The_Valiant
2007-04-15, 02:48 AM
What I like to do is keep a list of names. All sorts of names. A Word file is perfect for this. If a name strikes me, I write it down and then add it to the list later.

I subdivide it. Mostly by race (Human, Elf, Etc) and gender, but occasionally by class as well. When it's time to roll a new character, BAM, have a whole list to choose from.

Very handy when you're DMing, too.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-15, 06:06 AM
I used to have trouble naming characters. Now I use a differant approach. I base characters around names.

Otherwise your best tools are google and a good Gaelic dictionary.

Matthew
2007-04-15, 11:51 AM
Naming conventions are also an excellent trick. Gives the world and languages within it consistancy.

LCR
2007-04-15, 12:12 PM
Latin and German are where I get surnames, usually. Sometimes I use French as well, but that language is a little too "pretty" for most of the characters I play as. I try to shy away from using singular words when I do this. Instead, I make a two to three word phrase with the language of choice and use that. See my name here, Einstrauss, for example. It's a composite of the German words Ein and Strauss, together meaning "A Bunch".

Ein Strauss does not mean "a bunch". It means either "an/one ostrich" or "a/one bouquet (of flowers)".
Still an awesome name.

Imrahil
2007-04-15, 05:15 PM
I have an old directory of Anglo-Saxon and Celtic names that I'll pull out for any random NPC, plus I keep a few sheets of pregenerated names (about 2 dozen for each race/sex) if I need something on the fly. The only trouble comes if one forgets to note that a name's been used before.

clarkvalentine
2007-04-15, 05:25 PM
I also use the foreign language trick. For elves, I often use Welsh names (although I've used Hindi and Mongolian for elves from really exotic cultures). Humans, I often go to Anglo-Saxon/old German. Dwarves, I use Norwegian; I often go to Norwegian for seeds of ogre and goblinoid names, as well.

Irenaeus
2007-04-15, 06:03 PM
Dwarves, I use Norwegian; I often go to Norwegian for seeds of ogre and goblinoid names, as well.

Man, I would love to listen to your sessions. :smallbiggrin:

Foreign language/historical setting works well for me. E.g. Byzantine-inspired or medieval french naming patterns. PCs are named according to these patterns.

Melas
2007-04-16, 12:40 AM
My personal favorite is the anagram of a well known character. For example I once had a barbarian named Nogmo which is an Anagram of... Mongo (Blazing Sadals).

TheOOB
2007-04-16, 12:55 AM
I use the tables in the back of the Hero Builders Guidebook...I have to justify paying money for that somehow.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-16, 01:02 AM
I personally can't stand fantasy names. It's all Starhammers and Forgefires and blech.

My longest-running character's name is Terrence Randall. It's not high fantasy, but it doesn't have to be. Try making nicer, domestic sounding names. You don't have to be Kordogg the babyfeaster.

Jensik
2007-04-16, 01:09 AM
One of my methods: Take the first part in your first name and combine it with the first part of your last name. For me that would make it Frath.

Another commonly used one is taking real names and modifying them slightly. For instance 'Michael' can become 'Mirkell' or 'Mikall'

Adding random accent marks and such (though more difficult when typing) can add a little bit of flavor. Just don't go overboard.

Scribbler
2007-04-16, 01:09 AM
3. The fragmentation name: This is a trick i made up with a friend. We just started a campaing and both couldnt think of a name for our characters, so i just noted down names commonly used in the real world, that i like and maybe a few other words and then take out single syllables or fragments from them and put together a name for my Fire Genasi from the word pyro and the names Jonathan and Damien and the outcome was Pyrathien.

I also do this sometimes. Mostly I use babynames.com (http://www.babynames.com). Search for a meaning, and then pick your favorite name from the list. It gives all different nationalities, so you can probably find something that sounds apropriate for the character. I still like to change some letters around to make is sound just right, but that's my primary inspiration. For places, I use the same source, but I'm even more likely to chage the letters around (although female names of many cultures tend to work perfectly well as places, and male names often do too). Real places are after all often named after people.

TheOOB
2007-04-16, 01:45 AM
http://www.behindthename.com/

Is a pretty good site. The important thing to remember about making names for D&D is that they have to have a fantasy element to them, but they also should be easy to memorize and pronounce by your party mates. That means no Bills, Joes, or Bobs, but also no Alafarhalashak, or Glymthphabellums.

A few of my favorite characters had the names Aramil Liadon, Tharlious Galanodel, Aiden Tannis, and Milo Greeves.

Lolzords
2007-04-16, 04:40 AM
I use this common to elven translator to work out my elvish names. You put it a word and it works out what the word would be if an elf said it. Could be useful to you. Here's the link: http://www.coveworld.net/eberron/aerenal_translator.html

Tweekinator
2007-04-16, 10:43 AM
I'm going to second TheOOB's suggestion of http://www.behindthename.com/.

Great site, and you can get a name for practically whatever feel you want.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 11:22 AM
I use this. (http://behindthename.com/random/)

Soniku
2007-04-16, 11:54 AM
One way that works and can make original names is to take a word about the character and mess around with it until you have something vaguely name like.

Crossbow -> Crass Boa

Or, alternatively, you could take the name of a character who's like your one and find some different way of pronouncing it and spelling it.

e.g.

Gandulf -> Gahned Ulfe

Morgan_Scott82
2007-04-16, 03:25 PM
For places I like to incorporate or make use of nouns... The Rusty Bucket, The Perilous Perch, Hollowhelm Keep, Broken Anvil Corner, Green Gnoll Downs, Brokenblade meadow, etc.

Occasionally, especially for businesses, I like to use puns like: Sew What Tailors.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 03:31 PM
For places I like to incorporate or make use of nouns... The Rusty Bucket, The Perilous Perch, Hollowhelm Keep, Broken Anvil Corner, Green Gnoll Downs, Brokenblade meadow, etc.

Occasionally, especially for businesses, I like to use puns like: Sew What Tailors.

Alliteration works well too: Saltmarsh Sendings, for instance, or Casi's Cabinets.

Teloric
2007-04-16, 03:46 PM
My favourite method is as follows:

1. Think of a common name that I like from the real world. Usually I try to pick one that's about 3 syllables long.
2. Modify the letters in that name by dropping letters out, adding letters in, rearranging letters, or by replacing letters with other letters.
3. Modify syllables in the name by dropping syllables out, adding syllables in, rearranging syllables, or by replacing syllables with other syllables.

Example: Let's take the name Duncan. By dropping letters we can get Dunan, Ducan, Duna, Duca. By adding letters we can get Dunacan, Duncian, Duncane, Dunackane. By rearranging letters we can get Candun, Cannud, Nacand. By swapping in new letters you can get Tuncan, Runcan, Vencan. By adding syllables we can get Eldunacan, Duncanavon. By rearranging syllables we get Candun. Even backwards we get Nacnud.

Hope this helps...

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 03:47 PM
Hell, alliteration in general is a good tool.

I played a character once who was Deacon Dalton McDagon.

random11
2007-04-16, 03:57 PM
Well, the answer depends on the culture you play in and how the common language sounds like. Having a character named Ying-Mai-Tam with the same group as Jonathan makes very little sense if they come from the same place.

Also, most cultures I can think of also have a second name of some sort. The second name is an answer to the question of "which Adam are you talking about?" and it can vary for different places, cultures or people:
Related to the place of birth (Adam of Grapefruit)
Father's (or mother's) name (Adam son of Jones)
Ocupation (Adam Smith)
Heroes might want to use some sort of nickname (Adam great shield)
It might be conected to past deeds (Adam the giant slayer)
Or just to traits or nicknames that "stick" (Tiny Adam)

Ali
2007-04-16, 04:00 PM
If you are playing a character that is similar to the real life you, name it after yourself, with a mystic fling.

For example - Tony becomes Toniry, Fred becomes Feredar.

If it then does not sound good enough, try putting something after it.

Toniry the Trustworthy.

Feredar of the Spikey Forest.

Bermel the Upright.

This is how I invent names for my characters.

Machete
2007-04-16, 04:20 PM
I often use anagrams of the japanese names of anime characters whose personalities vaguely remind me of the character.

Moti Himokit the Snowcaster being Tomoki Himi