PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Race

Innis Cabal
2007-04-14, 06:05 PM
As the name says, what your favorite race and why.

For PC's-Half Elf, becuase i like the RP over stats
Enemy-Gnoll- So much cooler then Orcs

Threeshades
2007-04-14, 06:22 PM
That's a hard one. I often change my favorite. that's why i always have to pull myself together and bring up a lot of discipline to not get new characters all the time (and it's the same with classes, sometimes i want a gold crazed sneaky rogue, sometimes i want a splattery slaughtery fighter, which then again varies from sneaky fighter, to light weapon TWF, over crazy barbarian berserk things to a concentrated monkish swordfighter)

At the moment I think it's halflings. I have read Races of the Wild a little and discovered how much they are like me actually. except for the fact that im perfectly middle sized (and i mean perfectly exactly middle sized) and anything but athletic. But i like to eat (a lot), I like stories, I like music and I like money and to posess stuff (simply for the sake of having it, no matter if its useful or not).

But I also like Elves (especially Wood elves), Half-Drow and Catfolk. Oh yes and Genasi of all kinds too.

My favourite enemy folk is any kind of goblinoid preferably with enough class levels to grant me some XP, or just a huge bunch of them for me to kill.

PS: I mean I'm so awfully middle sized, i should get an extra attack bonus using middle sized weapons

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-14, 06:24 PM
Favorite: Whatever I feel like at the time.
Why: Because.

Dhavaer
2007-04-14, 06:42 PM
Shadowkin. Yay for superiority.

JackMage666
2007-04-14, 06:46 PM
Mephlings from the Planar Handbook. Paricularly Air Mephlings, though Fire and Water Mephlings are cool too. The only one I don't like is Earth Mephlings.

Don't really know why.

Threeshades
2007-04-14, 06:51 PM
Mephlings from the Planar Handbook. Paricularly Air Mephlings, though Fire and Water Mephlings are cool too. The only one I don't like is Earth Mephlings.

Don't really know why.

Earth is dull and boring. that's why. Water is dynamic and flexible, fire is powerful yet gentle and air is swift and light. And earth? Earth is just there. (I also dont really like Earth genasi except that they get a pretty neat set of attributes)

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-04-14, 06:52 PM
Dwarves.

Why?

Because I happen to think that four-foot dudes built like brick ****houses with more hair on their chins than most people have on their heads wielding great big battleaxes and quaffing inhuman quantities of ale is the most bad-ass cliché ever.

+2 to CON, bonuses to various saves and Darkvision don't exactly hurt either.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-04-14, 07:10 PM
My favorite race? Thri-kreen. Psionic Mexican jumping beans of chainsaw death. And they're insectoid. Not enough insect races out there...

daggaz
2007-04-14, 07:12 PM
Dwarves.

Why?

Because I happen to think that four-foot dudes built like brick ****houses with more hair on their chins than most people have on their heads wielding great big battleaxes and quaffing inhuman quantities of ale is the most bad-ass cliché ever.

QFT. .

Saph
2007-04-14, 07:17 PM
Sun elves, just because my favourite character is one. Plus I like how they look.

- Saph

EvilElitest
2007-04-14, 07:50 PM
NE Drow. I'm surprised i'm the first to say that.
Don't hurt me.
Second, Halflings, they are just so cool
from,
EE

JackMage666
2007-04-14, 08:05 PM
I have also been warming up to Goliaths. Not because of the "Arrg! We're big and strong", but because they're about the only Big/Strong race that regularly has Bards in it.

Teilos
2007-04-14, 08:06 PM
Human => I almost always need the feat. I tend to have diplomatic characters and a medium sized standard race helps with this.

Half giants => I just calculated the insane bonus on trip attacks. But most likely I will accept the lower bonus and take a special human race again.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-14, 08:07 PM
I really like the new races from eberron. Especially warforged and changelings.

JellyPooga
2007-04-14, 08:08 PM
I tend to favour planetouched (especially Tieflings and Air Genasi, though I'm quite liking Tuladhara at the mo) as a general rule, though I also like the Killoran (I really want to play a Killoren Warlock at some point), Catfolk and Halflings. Elves are somewhere near the top too.

I dislike Dwarves (far too blunt, I much prefer finesse) and Half-Orcs (same reason). I don't like playing Humans either, far too bland for my liking. If I wanted to play a Human, I'd be playing Call of Cthulu or GURPS (which I do). For me, d&d is about fantasy and all that entails, so I want to be something far different from what I am (that's not to say I don't want humans in the party [unless that's what my character is like], it's just my preference).

Orzel
2007-04-14, 08:12 PM
I prefer to play Half Elves because I get to say "I'm not powergaming, I'm a half elf. The spell DC's is 30."

Kultrum
2007-04-14, 08:56 PM
half orcs because they make the most... "interesting" bards also Gnomes because its expected of me to be a crazed genius

Annarrkkii
2007-04-14, 09:26 PM
Toss-up between Humans and Halflings. Halflings for their 100% unadulterated win, and Humans for their generic, wide-range playability and heavy versatility.

Stevenson
2007-04-14, 09:32 PM
Gnomes.

1: They're the smart-alecks of the DnD world.
2: They're the mad scientists of the DnD world.
3: They're the smart-alecks of the DnD world.

Oh, and spell-like abilities.

Humans are nifty, but I will always have a place in my heart for the gnomes.

As far as enemies go, I'm partial to kobolds. Traps are nifty. Oh, and they're kinda like the gnomes of the enemies' world.

Belteshazzar
2007-04-14, 09:45 PM
Oh the choices Ilithids ( just give me wings and an enlarge and I cause sanity loss) Humans ( we can do ANYTHING and everyone thinks we are hot) Mycanoids (peace out dude, pass the rose tinted specs) Gnolls ( hail Anubis the preservation of desolation! hail Anubis prophet of dogs!) And full blooded orcs ( OK! Everyone have on your tinted goggles and hide armor, good! prep the Bulettes and prepare for Emergence Day!)

Lemur
2007-04-14, 09:55 PM
From the PHB, human. I don't particularly care for the concept of the other races, except for half-orc. My second favorite is orc, and somewhat half orc.

I actually hate the ability adjustments they get, since I like smart and weak characters over strong and dull ones, but I really like their appearance and concept. Can't go wrong with green and angry.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-14, 10:03 PM
human. the extra feat and skill points are cool.

Lemur
2007-04-14, 10:43 PM
My favorite race? Thri-kreen. Psionic Mexican jumping beans of chainsaw death. And they're insectoid. Not enough insect races out there...

Oh man, reading this, all that registered was "Thri-kreen Psionic Mexican"

So now I've got this image of a thri-kreen wearing a sombrero and poncho, weilding multiple maracas.

Actually, I think I like the flavor of basing thri-kreen on mexican culture...

ocato
2007-04-14, 11:02 PM
Humans, because I'm a simple guy with simple tastes.
Dwarves, because they're dwarves.

I tried a gnome once, and I mean, I like them, they're interesting... but the small sized weapons really bugged me. I dunno why. I just felt like everyone else was sort of giggling when I pulled out my 1d4 rapier. Then I jumped onto the back of a barbarian and successfully enchanted him to the ground like I was breaking a stallion. Halflings aren't bad either. They make wonderful rogues.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-14, 11:05 PM
Humans, because I like skillage and they outshine every other race in existence in being skilled. Plus, they're like the only race that I can imagine being a skillfull rogue while being bad-ass too, so I end up roleplaying humans over everything else as well.

Barring that, halflings. Those cute little backstabbing, house robbing hippies win my heart every time.

Ashdate
2007-04-14, 11:06 PM
I like Grey Elves, because I like Wizards.

- Eddie

Manir
2007-04-15, 01:26 AM
Kobolds: Because they are cool.
Humans: Because they are also cool and viable for practically any build.

Da Beast
2007-04-15, 01:31 AM
Half elf. I just like the flavor.

Kumquat
2007-04-15, 01:40 AM
I tend to favour sneaky little rogues generally, so i put my favorite group as the Kobolds. Kobolds may look weak and pathetic, but DON"T go messing in their crib...traps for the win! Also Halflings are cool.

And for some random reason I always liked Githzerai, for all their reclusive Monk goodness.

Edo
2007-04-15, 02:01 AM
Changelings. They are feasibly playable doppelgangers. In my world, and by my standards, that is made out of win.

Also, having read Magic of Incarnum, rilkans. Being able to pick a squad out of the rilkan army and have them rack up 100 victory points before a battle is good. Being able to take a bar of drunk rilkans and have them work out Relativity Theory untrained is better.

But the best things of all are ones that you'll have to PM me for, because I'm not sure I can say them in a family-oriented forum such as this one.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-15, 04:02 AM
Ah, halflings, your hilarious antics never cease to amuse me...and then one of you turns into a lich assassin, thus shattering my tenuous hold on sanity.

Latronis
2007-04-15, 06:12 AM
Half-elves
Humans
>
Dwarves
Halflings
>
Half-Orcs
>
>
>
>
>
Elves
Gnomes

For less standard races and templates i like Air-Genasi and half-fiends, svirfneblin, duegar and sharakim.

For enemies

Kobolds and Yuan-Ti

BlueWizard
2007-04-15, 06:15 AM
humans! humans! humans!

bosssmiley
2007-04-15, 08:45 AM
Dwarves.

Why?

Lokki said it better than I could have. All hail nature's cube!

JackMage666
2007-04-15, 09:11 AM
Oh, wait, I'd forgotten the Derro! I love they Derro, because it's the only way you can play an insane person and the other players can't say anything about it.

I once played a Anthropomorphic Wolverine Favored Soul, who specialized in out of combat spells. See, spells are nice, but if you go into a forced rage every time you damaged, you're more than likely not going to be able to use them. It worked pretty well.

Threeshades
2007-04-15, 09:41 AM
Oh, wait, I'd forgotten the Derro! I love they Derro, because it's the only way you can play an insane person and the other players can't say anything about it.

I once played a Anthropomorphic Wolverine Favored Soul, who specialized in out of combat spells. See, spells are nice, but if you go into a forced rage every time you damaged, you're more than likely not going to be able to use them. It worked pretty well.

is there an official anthropomorphic template/race? (and i dont mean one specific like catfolk or gnoll, i mean something that allows different anthropomorphic animals)

Talya
2007-04-15, 10:06 AM
Humans.
Star Elves (FR Unapproachable East. +2 cha, -2 con, ghost touch all their weapons and armor, native outsider, no level adjustment, favored: Bard)
Goliaths.
Averiel. (FR Winged Elves...much better than raptorrans, but that +3 LA is a killer)
Fey'ri (FR Winged tiefling elves.)
Drow.
Strongheart halflings. (Extra feat!)

PnP Fan
2007-04-15, 02:34 PM
I've always been fond of elves, particularly since you can really give some interesting philosophical spin on them (ultra-long lived, nature loving, "superior" creatures with a love of beauty, craftsmanship, etc. . . can make for some interesting personalities if you let it.)
Humans, of course, because you can dress up your humans in different cultures, and come up with really different characters without even looking at mechanics.

For villains I've always been fond of Undead as a whole. Clear cut, no doubt about it, they've gotta be made permanently dead.
Kobolds are neat for the "own the party, even if I'm only 2.5 ft tall" factor, and the "draconic race in a tiny package" angle.
Dragons of course, just for the epic-ness, though they can be difficult to run well, and almost impossible to run well in a published adventure (flying creatures in a cave? wha. . ?)
*sigh* I like this game too much too many favorites. . back to heroic favorites. . .
Warforged for the "yes, I'm only 3 years old, but I'm a 12 level fighter. what of it . . . meat sack?"
And shifters for the flavor, but not for the crunch.

Deel
2007-04-15, 02:54 PM
I like humans(obv), they are simple and can pretty much do anything you'd want them to do. On other core races... Half-Orcs and Dwarves are alright by me. For non-core races, I like goliaths and catfolk, especially catfolk, and especially when they are not a normal occurance for most areas a campaign is taking place in. Oh the fun of the oddballs, goliath fits the bill pretty well too.

Also, I hate every elf and every variant of elf ever created. :smallyuk:

Zagreen
2007-04-15, 03:07 PM
Goblinses! They're like Whisper Gnomes except without the smell of cheese.

Plus they get to eat tasty, tasty babies.

Ramza00
2007-04-15, 03:07 PM
Human, because you can do effectively any character type with them. Especially if you allow variant humans.

Scorpina
2007-04-15, 03:08 PM
Humans. Stereotype free, and one of the most powerful +0 LA races. Plus they work for pretty much any class/build.

MellowMelon
2007-04-15, 03:13 PM
As a DM I REALLY like kobolds. Their trap nastiness is too much fun.

As a player I ike the versatility of humans but like the flavor of gold elves.

JadedDM
2007-04-15, 03:15 PM
Halflings. The real kind, hairfoots. Not those cheap, kender knock-offs they have nowadays. :smallwink:

PlatinumJester
2007-04-15, 03:31 PM
Changeling (MM3) especially as a rogue or hexblade due to minor shape change. Nothing seems more fun than seeing the look on an orcs face when one minute he is fighting a scrawny pale faced loser and then one minute later he is fighting a balor.

dragonwings
2007-04-15, 03:45 PM
Hmm...

To play as: Out of the PhB, I'm particularly fond of elves. There's just something about them that makes everything they do seem like it has a touch of arrogance. Otherwise, I'm actually a big fan of the centaur now that I've gotten to play one. There's just something about an enlarged horse-person weilding an axe a size category higher (thank you Monkey Grip) charging at full speed towards an enemy that just screams awesome.

I want to play a Mind Flayer, but I have yet to find a game in which to do so.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-15, 04:27 PM
thri-kreen, then give them speed of thought, psionic jump, boots of springing/striding, ring of jumping, skill focus jump, run.
mmmmm....
o ya, and alot of tumble

Imrahil
2007-04-15, 04:48 PM
I personally favor Aasimar. First, they're naturally 'attuned' if one wants to play a paragon (or if one wants to explore the path of a 'fallen angel'). Second, they know what it's like to be alone and confused, being separate from society and sometimes shunned for being different. Not knowing what one's lineage is, and possibly never running into another of your kind makes for a challenging and fun introspection during roleplaying.

Totally Guy
2007-04-15, 04:53 PM
Favourite race... the relay. As long as you pass the baton ok, you can sit back for 3/4 of it and watch everyone else do all the work. :P

Enzario
2007-04-15, 05:01 PM
Elans, because living forever with no LA is very appealing, not to mention they are jsut badass
Kobolds, they kick ass and are capable of taking levels in Psion :tongue:

@Threeshades
yes, there is a way to do that in a fairly "normal" way
it's called awaken

Latronis
2007-04-15, 05:03 PM
Dwarves.

Why?

Incidentally i happen to have more hair on my chin then i have one my head, I happen to built like a brick ****house and brew my own ale.

Am I dwarf? no i'm over 6'

Epiphanis
2007-04-15, 05:22 PM
For PCs, humans. Gnomes are second because I like the flavor, but give me a human any day of the week, both for mechanics and story potential. No non-human ever gets by without at least a whiff of silliness as a PC.

As a DM looking for enemy races to throw at PCs, I am extremely partial to the Nerra from Fiend Folio. Why?

Well, one, they ARE dangerous but are NOT necessarily evil. Following inscrutable self-interest, but not necessarily evil. They make great opponents without the whole tired we-shall-sacrifice-you-to-our-demon-god schtick.

Second, they are disguisers. I love shapechanging/illusioning monsters-in-disguise. You don't just encounter them in a dank hole-in-the-ground dungeon, they could be the mysterious old guy in the tavern who sent you to the dank hole in the ground dungeon in the first place!

Third... reflective spell resistance is soooo cool to throw at unwitting players. Especially coupled with the disguises. The wizard PC doesn't even know what he's facing until he gets his own fireball back in his face. I love stuff like that.

Kantolin
2007-04-15, 06:01 PM
All about the half-orcs. They're just cool... I tend to go for the less normal half-orcs and less of the grah smash variety.

Half-orc wizard for the win.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-15, 06:37 PM
half otc wizard? Well i guess that works, would give people pause wouldnt it

Threeshades
2007-04-15, 07:11 PM
@Threeshades
yes, there is a way to do that in a fairly "normal" way
it's called awaken

Never heard of it. Tell me more.

MellowMelon
2007-04-15, 07:21 PM
I totally forgot about by favorite neglected races.

Merfolk and centaurs. Merfolk are so forgotten.

Sabattus
2007-04-15, 08:47 PM
Gnomes.

1: They're the smart-alecks of the DnD world.
2: They're the mad scientists of the DnD world.
3: They're the smart-alecks of the DnD world.

Oh, and spell-like abilities.

Definitely. However, I prefer the chaos gnomes from Races of Stone. Only a +1 level adjustment, for -2 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON, +2 CHA, immunity to confusion, spell-like abilities, and the ability to reroll any roll once per day.

Agatsuma
2007-04-15, 09:15 PM
Gnomes, because they are just fun. Not to mention +2 CON is always handy, and the spell-like abilities make any class a bit more versitile. Never overlook the ability to talk to rabbits and badgers...

Crilley
2007-04-15, 09:16 PM
All the races suck except Thri-Kreen.

Well not really, thats just my favourite, any race is fine, except dwarves. Hate dwarves.

The_Snark
2007-04-15, 09:29 PM
Humans are a solid, all-around choice. I like dwarves, but they lend themselves best to a certain type of character. I also like elves, although I dislike elves that are too arrogant/artsy/nature-oriented (reinforcing bad elven stereotypes. Mutter mutter).

Mind flayers are awesome, but they're very difficult to work in as a PC. As NPC enemies or occasionally temporary allies, I like 'em.

For playing bizarre characters, elans and changelings are good, and so are the half-fey and half-farspawn templates (that last is tough because of the LA and the insanity, though). And warforged have a certain appeal.
Meatbags.

Oh, and nerra are pretty awesome. I've been looking for an opportunity to play a nerra occult slayer for a while.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-15, 09:39 PM
Kobolds, because they're adorable. And because the rest of the party will find you adorable, too, unless they're heartless.

Gnomes, because they're a challenge to play outside of the boundaries, and I like that challenge.

Necropolitan humans, because they're the only undead that don't have a stereotyped personality, and are thus broader as characters.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-15, 09:57 PM
Half-Giants, Tieflings, Changelings; also Grimlocks, Kuo-toa, and Slyths.
In no particular order.

Cocktail Umbrellas
2007-04-15, 10:31 PM
I also dont really like Earth genasi except that they get a pretty neat set of attributes

I'm seriously considering making my signature "Earth Genasi need love too!"... :smallwink: I like 'em ^___^ And just because they're made of earth doesn't mean they can't be as pretty as any frouffy Air Genasi. And they're not slow, they're just considering all the options :smallbiggrin:

I'm a fan of humans. Plain and simple, no pluses, no minuses, decent lifespan. Works well for me.

(I have a soft spot for the tiefling tables, though tiefers themselves are too often too angsty for me- not always though.)

Necromas
2007-04-15, 10:37 PM
Kobolds!

Close second: Maugs

Also: Goliaths, Warforged, and Weretigers

Counterpower
2007-04-15, 10:48 PM
My favorite race is my 3.1 mile cross-country runs.

Oh wait, that's right. This is a D&D forum!

My favorite PC race.......... probably humans. Why? Probably because I prefer the simplicity. Either that or water and/or aquatic anything. Which aren't at all simple, which may be a fairly major contradiction. The explanation? I'm Chaotic.:belkar:

For enemies: well, I don't think I can get too attached to any one type. Since my players will be all over the place, fighting all sorts of different things, I won't be able to give them one specific enemy.

Oh wait, did I put that on an open forum that some of my players read? Disregard that last.:smallamused:

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-15, 10:57 PM
Never heard of it. Tell me more.
The anthropomorphic animal template is in Savage Species on page 214.
"Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm)" is a spell in the SRD.

Wooter
2007-04-15, 11:42 PM
Half-Elf-Half-Orc. Okay, it isn't an actual race, but I really wish it was.

JackMage666
2007-04-16, 12:16 AM
Yet another I forgot... The Mongrelfolk!

Poor guys, ain't got no home... Noone likes them, cause they're ugly. They seem like they'd be fun to play, though most of my builds relie on Cha or Int, so I haven't yet. The +4 Con is pretty cool though, as is the ability to use most items as a race.

Lolzords
2007-04-16, 04:35 AM
Hmm, probably halfling, elf or some other race with a dexterity bonus. I love playing characters that benefit from high dexterity.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-16, 05:18 AM
Humans. Gotta love their innate flexibility and near universal ubiquitousness, despite being so squishy, mortal, and prone to strife!

Who
2007-04-16, 05:33 AM
Kobolds everytime, there the sole reason I bought Races of the Dragon

BardicDuelist
2007-04-16, 08:41 AM
Fey'ri- my fav character is a fey'ri bard who was raised by a elven high mage to save the elves from the rest of his race. I also really really like alter self at will.
Half-elves for role playing. (My fey'ri bard assumes the form of a half elf most of the time)

Mr. Moogle
2007-04-16, 08:44 AM
humans for that awsome bounous feat

Person_Man
2007-04-16, 08:57 AM
Kobolds.

Because everyone hates them, and I love roleplaying Lawful Evil. I was almost sad when Races of the Dragon made them into tiny gods, because it killed some of the allure of playing the weakest possible race.

bosssmiley
2007-04-22, 02:39 PM
Incidentally i happen to have more hair on my chin then i have one my head, I happen to built like a brick ****house and brew my own ale.

Am I dwarf? no i'm over 6'

*cites Carrot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot_Ironfoundersson) as counter-argument against mere height being an indicator of Dwarvishness* :smalltongue:

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-22, 02:55 PM
I'd have to say humans. I always play them because of the skill and feat bonuses. (I try to put as much as I can into intelligence, since the thought of only having a few skills terrifies me. :smalleek: )

That said, my second favorite would be Aasimar. I originally thought about making a paladin until I learned the group didn't have an arcane spellcaster.

Morty
2007-04-22, 05:03 PM
Goblins. Because they never got any love, and they're treated as cannon fodder. That applies to orcs and other greenskins too, but I like goblins the best- and they're most downtrotten. Kobolds are fine as long as you don't turn them into dragon wannabies.
Also, I like half-elves. Because playing human is boring and I don't feel like playing an elf.

motivatedjanza
2007-04-22, 06:59 PM
I like dwarves, and although I can't really top what Lokki said about 'em, I'll agree and add on this as well:

Dwarves are like the Scots. They'll chop off your arm with a battle-axe, then sing about it while drunk off they're rockers later on that night.

You just can't not love that!!!

I've never played as a monster, but I've come up with a homebrew half-minatour race for my one friend. 'Twas deathly pumped! Oooh! And hobgoblins! I don't think I'd mind playing as a hobbie fighter one of these days! vbmenu_register("postmenu_2399043", true);

Rob Knotts
2007-04-22, 07:01 PM
What's equal parts more brutal, uglier, and shorter than an Orc? A Tannarukk (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG73.jpg):smallbiggrin:

Roethke
2007-04-22, 07:09 PM
Half elf. I just like the flavor.

Me too. Especially with a nice honey glaze, mmm. mmm.

(I'm here all week, try the "veal").

Anyhow. I have to admit a soft spot for kobolds. They're the ultimate underdogs, er. lizards (darnit I liked the dog-like variety better). They're fast, sneaky, clever, and there's so many of them.

Jaykell
2007-04-22, 07:18 PM
HUMANS!!! Moste versatile race there is.
and the extra feat and skill points are pretty nice

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-04-22, 08:38 PM
Gnolls should be, but WotC likes fantasy racism and their LA is ridiculously above what it should be, so only in freeform with DMs who think for themselves instead of letting Wizards do it for them does this apply.

Generic PC
2007-04-22, 09:53 PM
Kobolds FTW... the little Dragon wannabes that no one is, but when introduced as a PC/NPC, everyone loves... also, Half Fey+Halflings/Gnomes=Fun... cause everyone likes Flying Rogues... BTW, does an attack from above count as Sneak Attack? Flanked? I also on occasion play Subbuci, but i havent for a while... which book are they in?
Other races are fun, but roleplaying these ones is just too great...

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 09:54 PM
hallf elf...all the way

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-22, 10:04 PM
Q. F. F-ing. T.

I <3s me my kreen. Throw in a bit of Warblade, concentrate on Tiger Claw manouvers, and you can rock the pants off of stuff, plus jump ludicrous distances as a swift action with Sudden Leap.

Latronis
2007-04-23, 06:18 AM
*cites Carrot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot_Ironfoundersson) as counter-argument against mere height being an indicator of Dwarvishness* :smalltongue:

Actually my facial hair is ginger too >_<

Bow2Gaijin
2007-04-23, 11:39 AM
My favorites have to be Elan and Raptorians.

Theodoxus
2007-04-23, 02:31 PM
Halflings... I'm sad I haven't been able to go about with my Ultimate Halfling of DOOM!!! (Fighter 1 -> Ranger 4 -> Fighter 4 -> Barbarian x) specialized with a Great Sword, riding his Wolf animal companion - Blaze Wolfrider, how I need to play you!!!

Seriously though, what's better than a halfling with a great sword? 1d10 damage base? heck yeah! Plus it looks funny as hell. Subotimal, since it has a lot of 20% hits to XP earnage... but that's part of the alure too...

Thri-kreen rock - if only their HD and LA weren't so dern high... :)

Theo

Jannex
2007-04-23, 08:50 PM
Half-elves. They're RP-tastic.

Humans are fun, for versatility, extra skill points (and feat), and being common enough not to draw attention.

I enjoy the occasional elf, if I'm playing a character that I'm not planning on multiclassing and won't mind taking a hit to Con. Gotta love the pointy-eared freaks. :smallsmile: I haven't played any of the non-PHB subraces (I do love drow, but have never had the urge to PC one...), but I'd certainly be open to the idea. Is it wrong that I look at the Grey Elf stat mods, and think, "That'd be a great rogue"?

I've never been able to get my mind around playing any of the Small races--with one notable exception: Gloamings, from the Underdark supplement. They're just so awesome! Fuzzy wings! :smallbiggrin:

I've also had lots of fun with my current PC, a (runt) minotaur.

brian c
2007-04-23, 10:00 PM
Hm... I usually play Humans for the extra feat. I like goliaths, but I've never been in a campaign that would allow one. I've played half-ogre a couple times and love it, and I'd like to try a non-psionic half-giant sometime (nothing against psionics, just that's not why I'd want to be a half-giant).

hallf elf...all the way

Psst... you started this thread, you alrady answered.

Duskwither
2007-04-24, 01:55 AM
Favorite race is so difficult. It certainly depends on the flavor/mood that's happening. I default human, because they're able to be anything I want. I like elves, but usually only when they're the Celtic-esque fey creatures.

For some reason though, I have this idiotic joy in creating Ogres... and then making their mental stats as high as possible. I love my Ogre Bard.

TRM
2007-04-24, 07:30 AM
Shifters and changelings.
Çhangelings because they can change their appearance (you can never go wrong with that) and shifters because they are similiar to lycanthropes without having an insane level adjustment.

Leon
2007-04-24, 10:19 AM
Thri-Kreen, Dark Sun Humans, Whisper Gnomes, Wild Elves (More so Kagonesti), Aquatic Elves, Xendrik Drow, Dwarves, Xeph's, Feral Orcs, Kobolds, Hadozee