PDA

View Full Version : Optimization wands to put in wand chambers for an archer.

sideswipe
2015-04-12, 09:44 AM
i am looking for wands to put in the chambers of one of my players elvencraft hanks energy bow (im the DM i allowed it).

he can store 3 wands, and is level 10 with level 10 wealth.

a couple of bits, since enchantments have a houserule of getting a +1 gets you a free +1 enchant hanks energy bow was half price.
ex- +1 keen longsword costs 2.3k not 8.3k

so which wands are suggested?

the build is fighter 2 / factotum varient running off cha 8/ deepwoodsniper 2/ OoTBI (3.0) 8

Invader
2015-04-12, 10:11 AM
Arrowmind, beginning and end of list.

Immediate action allows you to threaten adjacent squares with your bow and prevents provoking attacks of opportunity when firing while threatened.

Bronk
2015-04-12, 10:27 AM
Maybe 'Hunter's Eye' and 'Hunter's Mercy'?

WhamBamSam
2015-04-12, 11:30 AM
Arrowmind, beginning and end of list.

Immediate action allows you to threaten adjacent squares with your bow and prevents provoking attacks of opportunity when firing while threatened.That's redundant with OotBI. I remember suggesting that he save himself some levels and some feats and just take a level of Cloistered Divine Magician Cleric for Arrow Mind, Knowledge Devotion, and one other domain power/feat, but it seems he's decided otherwise. The 3.0 version's Free Attack ability could be really good in the right party though, so whatever.

Sniper's Shot, Grave Strike, Golem Strike, and Vine Strike are handy for a ranged sneak attacker. The above Hunter's Eye suggestion is alright, but the spell scales with caster level, so it's somewhat expensive to get the oomph you want out of it.

Arrowsplit and Swift Haste are good, because more attacks.

Wings of Cover is always a good option.

The Hunter's Mercy suggestion above is alright if you take Craven (which you probably should, since Ranged Precision seems to qualify you) and are going to be stealthy enough to frequently get a buff round.

Invader
2015-04-12, 11:41 AM
That's redundant with OotBI. I remember suggesting that he save himself some levels and some feats and just take a level of Cloistered Divine Magician Cleric for Arrow Mind, Knowledge Devotion, and one other domain power/feat, but it seems he's decided otherwise. The 3.0 version's Free Attack ability could be really good in the right party though, so whatever.

Sniper's Shot, Grave Strike, Golem Strike, and Vine Strike are handy for a ranged sneak attacker. The above Hunter's Eye suggestion is alright, but the spell scales with caster level, so it's somewhat expensive to get the oomph you want out of it.

Arrowsplit and Swift Haste are good, because more attacks.

Wings of Cover is always a good option.

The Hunter's Mercy suggestion above is alright if you take Craven (which you probably should, since Ranged Precision seems to qualify you) and are going to be stealthy enough to frequently get a buff round.

I suggested it because he has 4 lvls till he gets close combat shot.

WhamBamSam
2015-04-12, 12:31 PM
I suggested it because he has 4 lvls till he gets close combat shot.Fair point. A wand of Arrow Mind is probably a good idea in the meantime.

Darrin
2015-04-12, 12:41 PM
I don't see Ranger in there, so how are these wands being activated? UMD via Factotum?

For archery, I tend to favor bonus damage as much as possible. So my first go-to wands are probably going to be instant of power (Forge of War) and blade of blood (PHBII). If I needed a third wand... probably sniper's shot (SC) or instant diversion (RotD). If I was splurging on 2nd level spells, swift haste (SC) would be my first pick, then sonic weapon (SC) or maybe lesser energy surge (PHBII). Here's a list of utility wands (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15150359&postcount=16) that any UMD-based character, archery or otherwise, might find useful.

sideswipe
2015-04-12, 01:42 PM
The 3.0 version's Free Attack ability could be really good in the right party though, so whatever.

i appologise sam, the reason i have taken this route is to keep it simpler and more elegant for my player and because i know the party, the free shot will come in very handy, they have a crusader and a swordsage, as well as a few other things to give AoO.

thank you for keeping the suggestions up.

and thanks to all for these suggestions.

I don't see Ranger in there, so how are these wands being activated? UMD via Factotum?

yes

WhamBamSam
2015-04-12, 02:23 PM
i appologise sam, the reason i have taken this route is to keep it simpler and more elegant for my player and because i know the party, the free shot will come in very handy, they have a crusader and a swordsage, as well as a few other things to give AoO.

thank you for keeping the suggestions up.

and thanks to all for these suggestions.I'm not offended or anything. Like I said, the right party (like one with a Crusader in it) will get a lot of mileage out of Free Attack. I've actually been mulling over party optimization around that ability since reading it the other day. Shame there isn't really anything like it in 3.5. Or maybe it's not such a shame, since the stuff I came up with got truly silly.

Anyway, another suggestion that springs to mind is Alter Self. There's hardly anything that won't benefit from Alter Self, especially anything that's looking to be mobile.