PDA

View Full Version : I think letting fighter maneuvers for ranged weapons, is totally legit and not OP

CyberThread
2015-04-12, 10:26 AM
I think honestly, with a bit of modification, that the fighters ranged weapons benefiting from the maneuvers is totally okay.

All of them would function normally, with ranged abilties instead except for the following.

Lunging Attack = Increase the range limit of your current weapon by 1.5 instead of just 1.0.

HoarsHalberd
2015-04-12, 10:35 AM
I think honestly, with a bit of modification, that the fighters ranged weapons benefiting from the maneuvers is totally okay.

All of them would function normally, with ranged abilties instead except for the following.

Lunging Attack = Increase the range limit of your current weapon by 1.5 instead of just 1.0.

Most of them do function with ranged weapons except for parry and riposte, which don't make sense with ranged weapons, and lunging attack.

EDIT: Oh and sweeping attack, which again doesn't make sense for ranged weapons.

Daishain
2015-04-12, 11:38 AM
So long as it makes sense, I don't see a problem with that. I'd even be inclined to make a few maneuvers that only work with missiles.

Ralanr
2015-04-12, 12:04 PM
Most of them do function with ranged weapons except for parry and riposte, which don't make sense with ranged weapons, and lunging attack.

EDIT: Oh and sweeping attack, which again doesn't make sense for ranged weapons.

Yeah. A friend of mine made a bow battlemaster. Works fine.

Ardantis
2015-04-12, 12:38 PM
Just seems less effective.

Tenmujiin
2015-04-12, 08:53 PM
Just seems less effective.

How so? Ranged weapons are no less powerful than mele ones and if you already have a front liner or two a ranged battlemaster makes a nice source of ranged damage and control. The also come with the benefit of not having to be next to enemies to hit them with rider effects

holygroundj
2015-04-13, 07:42 AM
ranged battlemaster is not less effective than a melee type. We have one in our party and while precision is not as useful (if only because she already gets +2), adding D8s of damage and specific riders is great. Shooting a shield out of their hand so that everyone else has an easier time hitting the boss is the best.

Gwendol
2015-04-13, 09:55 AM
Why would they not be ok? As I've written in the archer thread, ranged battlemasters have their own niche in the scope of ranged damage dealers.

Person_Man
2015-04-13, 11:01 AM
Seems fine to me.

Having said that, I would just observe that if you're interested in Ranged Attack + Status Effect, playing a spellcaster is probably going to be more effective. (If you really want to, you could always re-fluff spells as trick Green Arrow or Arcane Archer ammunition or whatever).

Fighter is definitely more reliable and simple. But the Battlemaster just doesn't get a lot of superiority dice, and most of the effects from maneuvers aren't anything special.

Broken Twin
2015-04-13, 11:44 AM
Wait, who's saying that a bow wielding battlemaster doesn't work? I mean, yeah, one or two of the maneuvers don't make sense for ranged combat, but most of them work fine, from what I can see.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-04-13, 12:31 PM
The first 5E character I made and the one I've played the most has been a ranged BM Fighter and it's worked quite well. They even specifically say Weapon attack in several maneuvers to indicate that they interacted to be used at range as well

Mara
2015-04-13, 01:13 PM

Lunging Attack = Increase the range limit of your current weapon by 1.5 instead of just 1.0.It's called an improvised action. Yes those can include extrapolating and using class abilities in new ways.

kithys
2015-04-13, 01:24 PM
This is allowed by the rules already.
Notice how in Riposte, Lunging Attack, and Sweeping Attack it actually specifies melee weapon. It would specifically call it out if they weren't allowed.

Vogonjeltz
2015-04-13, 08:11 PM
Seems fine to me.

Having said that, I would just observe that if you're interested in Ranged Attack + Status Effect, playing a spellcaster is probably going to be more effective. (If you really want to, you could always re-fluff spells as trick Green Arrow or Arcane Archer ammunition or whatever).

Fighter is definitely more reliable and simple. But the Battlemaster just doesn't get a lot of superiority dice, and most of the effects from maneuvers aren't anything special.

Think more like MCU Hawkeye. Being able to trip, disarm, push (out a window, off a cliff), or frighten opponents (which prevents them from approaching you) with ranged attacks is kind of awesome. Menacing Attack is perfect for controlling an opponent because of the movement limitation.