PDA

View Full Version : More Magic Items?

darkscizor
2015-04-12, 03:38 PM
I thought that the list of mostly useless magic items thread was a great idea, and something I'll definitely use in my campaign. But that got me thinking about magic items. What if there was a thread to post useful magic items on and help out needy DMs?

Here's one sample of something that would be a possible post of a 5e item:

Prismatic Dragonscale Mail
Armor (Scale Mail), legendary (requires attunement)

Prismatic Dragonscale mail is armor made from many types of dragons and enchanted with powerful arcane magic. Two varieties of this armor exist:

Metallic: This +2 scale mail, made of scales from many different metallic dragons, gives resistance to fire damage, lightning damage, acid damage, and cold damage. In addition, the wearer has advantage on saving throws vs. Frightful Presence and breath weapons of metallic dragons.

Chromatic: This +2 scale mail, made of scales from many different chromatic dragons, gives resistance to fire damage, lightning damage, acid damage, poison damage, and cold damage. In addition, the wearer has advantage on saving throws vs. Frightful Presence and breath weapons of chromatic dragons.

Thrathgnar
2015-04-12, 04:30 PM
This is a great idea. I'd especially love to see more bows, as there is only one magic bow of any rarity in the DMG

Lord Torath
2015-04-14, 07:54 AM
Chromatic: This +2 scale mail, made of scales from many different chromatic dragons, gives resistance to fire damage, lightning damage, acid damage, cold damage, and cold damage. In addition, the wearer has advantage on saving throws vs. Frightful Presence and breath weapons of chromatic dragons.Did you mean to protect from cold twice? Or did you mean to slip chlorine gas in there once?

What kind of magic items are you interested in? What power level?

Mr.Moron
2015-04-14, 09:01 AM
Some stuff from my 5e Game. Note because I haven't been using the DMG, nothing is rated according to the standard rarity rules. I also can't say how they stack up to existing items or if they're following proper formats/templates. They're functional enough in my game though.

This is relatively low-loot game, that just reached 5th level.

Tunic of Armoring
This simple Garment allows the wearer to don or doff armor much faster than normal. While wearing it straps fasten themselves, buttons and clasps fall into place automatically and pieces adjust and move on the wearer’s body without being handled.

Light Armor: Using a bonus action the armor can be donned or doffing immediately.
Medium Armor: Using a bonus action, the user can start donning or doffing medium armor. The armor will finish being donned or doffed at the start of their next turn. If the user moves before the armor finishes donning, the process fails and the armor scatters about.
Heavy Armor: Using a bonus action, the user can start donning or doffing heavy armor. At the start of their next turn they can use another bonus action to finish donning or doffing their armor, otherwise it will finish at the start of the next turn after that. If the user moves before the armor finishes donning, the process fails and the armor scatters about.

Cloak of the Oceans
Produced for priests and dignitaries of an underwater kingdom, this cloak channels water magic to allow wearer to breathe above ground. The field of elemental water magic has the side-effect of providing limited resistance to fire based attacks.

While attuned to this Cloak a fully aquatic creature wearing it can breathe air as though it was water.
While attuned to this Cloak the wearer has fire resistance. If this fire resistance reduces any damage it is drained for a short time and the fire resistance ceases to function. At the start of each of the wearer's turns roll a d6 on a 5 or 6 the fire resistance is restored. If a minute passes without the wearer taking any fire damage the fire resistance is automatically restored.

Smuggler's Clothing
Used by a infamous ring of smugglers in ancient times, these garments appear to be mundane (if somewhat exotic by contemporary standards), clothing to the casual observer. They provide the protection of light armor and spaces to hide contraband.
Weight: 2lbs

While attuned these clothes are treated as light armor. The user's AC is equal to either 12 + Dex modifier or 15, whichever is higher.

The clothes have 5 small pockets built into the lining, just big enough to hold a few coins. Any object no larger than 1ft on any side will shrink to fit in a pocket when the wearer attempts to store the object in one. The weight of the item does not decrease when stored this way. The pockets are well hidden, and any item stored in them is automatically treated as having been hidden with a Sleight of Hand check with a total result of 14. (obviously a superior check made to hide the item can replace this value, and a check with a lower result instead is treated as 14).

Stonesphere
This grapefruit sized stone sphere weighs approximately 10 pounds and seems to be of Dwarven manufacture.

When thrown at a surface made of stone, this stone can pass through the surface emerging instantly from any surface made of the same type of stone and with similar level of working within about 100ft. It will leave the exit surface at the same speed and relative direction as it entered the original surface. Directing the sphere seems intuitive and thrower can will which surface they wish the sphere to exist without so much as thought.

If the stone is willed to a surface it cannot reach, that thrower cannot see, or that is too dissimilar from the entry surface it will simply bounce off of or embed in the entry surface at random.

The sphere imparts parts no special properties to objects tied, attached, embedded or otherwise connected to it. They will react as they would normally when hitting a solid stone surface as the sphere enters the stone. As such things attached to the leading surface of the sphere may prevent it from entering at all, and well anchored items may cause the sphere to break.

I have some others but they're rather specific to my campaign and actually interact with some fiddly house-rules, and so would be tough to adapt for general use.

darkscizor
2015-04-14, 11:15 AM
Did you mean to protect from cold twice? Or did you mean to slip chlorine gas in there once?

What kind of magic items are you interested in? What power level?

Oops, didn't see that.

The magic items can be of any power level, but they should be balanced with their rarity.

For Thrathgnar:

Bow of Spell Launching, very rare weapon (shortbow or longbow)
As an action, you can contain the effect of a spell requiring an attack roll and dealing damage to a single creature in one arrow shot from this bow. You can cast the spell at a maximum range of the normal range of attacks for that bow if the spell is normally of a shorter range. For example, using a Shortbow of Spell Launching allows the wielder to attack a creature within 80ft with a spell requiring an attack roll, and the weilder can choose to add their Dexterity modifier to the attack roll. You must be proficient with the bow used to use it effectively; using a bow without proficiency gives a -4 penalty to the spell attack roll.