PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Best equipment for level 1 character with Lvl 20 Wealth?

SinsI
2015-04-12, 04:44 PM
After reaching level 20 and becoming venerable, psionic character became scared of death from old age and is going to undergo a ritual that will reincarnate him as a level 1 psion. How would you prepare for that? He has standard level 20 WBL, and the price of the ritual is all of his XP.

deuxhero
2015-04-12, 04:50 PM
Candle of Invocation

NomGarret
2015-04-12, 04:50 PM
So, old psion is bequeathing all his gear to new psion or liquidating the assets and new younger psion gets a big pile of cash to play with?

Tvtyrant
2015-04-12, 04:53 PM
If you have the Stronghold Builder's Handbook you can make The Cube. Layered Walls of Force and Prismatic Walls over a stone castle with the capacity to fly and burrow, and spell turrets set to fire attack spells at your enemies. The Cube does all of the work, you just ride in it.

SinsI
2015-04-12, 06:49 PM
So, old psion is bequeathing all his gear to new psion or liquidating the assets and new younger psion gets a big pile of cash to play with?

Something in-between.
You can select gear from:
- published equipment
- custom magic items that have been created by the old psion utilizing his own powers and feats.
up to a total cost of 20 level Wealth.

Things like Thought Bottles won't work. All items are power-limited by their cost - if a Candle of Invocation costs 8,400 gold when you are going to get 8,400 gold worth of effect max, and not a copper more.

With a box
2015-04-12, 06:52 PM
It's not an equipment, but make a ice assassin/simulacrum of yourself (it should cast by yourself to get control of it is a problem..)
Or kill yourself and Reincarnate into a elan
(They live forever)
Use a wish/miracle/reality revision to fix your result

Flickerdart
2015-04-12, 07:10 PM
Or kill yourself and reinvocate(to druid one can't remember the spelling) into a elan
Reincarnate. Yeah, this is the best choice - you only lose one level, keep everything else (including feats), and get a fresh young adult body, possibly with favorable ability score mods.

Yael
2015-04-12, 07:44 PM
Candle of Invocation

Yep, /thread.

SinsI
2015-04-12, 07:53 PM
It's not an equipment, but make a ice assassin/simulacrum of yourself (it should cast by yourself to get control of it is a problem..)
Not a standard equipment or Psionic-created item - not available. (And Ice Assassin of yourself? How is his future 1st level self going to protect himself from a copy of his lvl 20 version dead set on eliminating him?)
Simulacrums or followers/thralls are not going to recognize him as their old master.

Or kill yourself and Reincarnate into a elan
He is kinda afraid of death, and you are suggesting he kill himself.
He is already reincarnating into an elan (without the "dying" bit), but the cost is going back to lvl 1. That's the only way available to him to get eternal youth.

The topic is "what standard/self-crafted equipment to get for lvl 1 character if you have a psion 20 donate it to him", and not "how to become an elan without going back to level 1".

Nettlekid
2015-04-12, 08:22 PM
So what you're basically asking for is how to make a character who can take on higher level challenges through items alone? You could look at the Emerald Legion and figure out how to replicate their abilities with custom items of spells. Wouldn't be too difficult, I don't think.

I would recommend this combo for being able to cast any 8th level or lower spell more or less at will. All you need is Heighten Spell, cheap wands, two schemas, and the UMD to activate them (perhaps with a custom +X UMD item. You'd need at least +23, assuming a Cha bonus of 0 and a single rank in UMD.)

Use a schema of Metamagic Item to apply Heighten Spell to a cheap wand, raising the spell's level to 9. Then you can use a schema of Wand Modulation to transform that wand into a wand of any 8th level or lower spell that does not have a material or XP cost at minimum CL, spending 2 charges per use. Being able to fire out 25 spells from a 375 gp wand is pretty cool. The wand would only be a single spell per schema, and only last five minutes with each use, so stock up on those schemas.

The whole plan costs 6000 for the schema of Metamagic Item, 6000 for the schema of Wand Modulation, 52900 for the +23 UMD item, and 375 for the wands of Cure Minor Wounds or whatever 0 level spell you're not using. For each new spell you want to use, you'd have to buy another two schemas (because you have to dismiss Wand Modulation and start over to change the spell.) So that's effectively 12,000 per spell you plan to cast per day. Heavy startup cost, but if you spent 240,000 gold on schemas you could be able to cast any spell for 5 minutes 20 times a day. All things considered, that doesn't break the bank.

Judge_Worm
2015-04-12, 09:10 PM
Why not true mind switch an illithid tadpole, then continue using his own body, now with mental stats bonuses?

Anyways, my suggestion is to use it on a construct that can protect your now more fragile self.

Tarvus
2015-04-13, 12:56 AM
Will you be building another lvl 20 psion once you begin leveling again? A lot of the items you want will depend on your eventual build and some will only become useful later. So build info is important.

Also will you be at WBL(Current Lvl) +WBL20 or will your WBL stay stagnant until you hit 20 again?

Until those are answer, I do have some general advice: If you *can* safely stash a portion of your wealth (say 1/20th or some similar amount) do it. Just for anything that comes up until you can start making a profit again.

If you're worried about security, ask your DM about investing it in a shop or merchant company in the meantime

SinsI
2015-04-13, 02:14 AM
Will you be building another lvl 20 psion once you begin leveling again? A lot of the items you want will depend on your eventual build and some will only become useful later. So build info is important.
He liked his set of powers (was psychokinetist), so he would like to have them all back. But if by re-evolving he can become stronger - why not? If he increases his inherent Int right away, and gets +6 Int item - that's quite a bit more extra skill points available.There's also this problem:

Also will you be at WBL(Current Lvl) +WBL20 or will your WBL stay stagnant until you hit 20 again?
He is going to fight extremely high CR enemies (highest Single Monster CR that has listed XP for his level on table 2-6 in DMG), and get CR-appropriate rewards.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-13, 02:37 AM
If you are going to be fighting enemies significantly higher than yourself, then it would definitely make sense to load up on the "necessities (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)". Having some of the items from Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) would probably be advisable.

Two of my favorite items from that list would be the Cowl of Warding (200k) and Soulfire Armor (+4, added onto at least +1, so 25k minimum) (added onto Bracers of Armor is nice, but can get expensive, to the tune of 80k on BoA +8). Should probably get a Belt of Battle (12k) combined with a Belt of Magnificence (200k for +6 to all stats) as well, and Wings of Flying (54k) (or a Phoenix Cloak (50k)) combined with a Minor Cloak of Displacement (24k). Vest of Resistance (25k for +5), Ring of Protection (50k for +5) and Amulet of Natural Armor (50k for +5) round out the rest of your defensive gear. Pretty sure that all of that comes up to 708k (went with the Phoenix Cloak). Not enough left over for an Intelligence Tome, but with this gear you should be pretty much untouchable. A Type 3 Shax Haversack runs in the neighborhood of 23k, and has a veritable boat-load of useful items in it, so I totally recommend snagging it. If not the Type 3, the Type 2 only costs 11k. I can't remember if lvl 20 wealth is 730 or 780, but you can probably get a handful of useful dorjes regardless, or maybe a staff instead, especially if you opt against the haversack.

SinsI
2015-04-13, 03:18 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to get an item that does, say, at-will maximum augmented Tornado Blast?
And spend the rest on a 1/day Reality Revision with as big free XP limit as possible? Or several of them with the 5000xp limit each?

combined with a Belt of Magnificence (200k for +6 to all stats) as well,
You are putting all that gear on your weak 1HD self. Those 3 extra HP from +6 Con won't make any difference against CR 10 enemies. Vigor at Manifester level 20 can give +100 temporary HP...

Karl Aegis
2015-04-13, 04:34 AM
Buy a small nation. You have enough money.

Tarvus
2015-04-13, 05:15 AM
He's a psion - he could buy 1688 Manifesting Shuriken (1/50th the cost! :smallbiggrin:) and get 8440 free PP per day?
Oh and you can draw each one as a free action!

On a more serious note, afb atm, will have a gander tomorrow.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-13, 06:08 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to get an item that does, say, at-will maximum augmented Tornado Blast?
And spend the rest on a 1/day Reality Revision with as big free XP limit as possible? Or several of them with the 5000xp limit each?

You are putting all that gear on your weak 1HD self. Those 3 extra HP from +6 Con won't make any difference against CR 10 enemies. Vigor at Manifester level 20 can give +100 temporary HP...

You also get +3 AC, +3 to attack and damage, and +3 to all saves. You should still get an offensive item of some sort (hence the suggestion for dorjes), but I'm not very fluent with psionics, so I can't offer any specifics. In fact, everything I listed in my post is pretty bog-standard defensive equipment for just about any character, regardless of class/role.

SinsI
2015-04-13, 06:22 AM
AC and saves have some uses, but Damage bonus is worthless too.
A lot of that equipment has power proportional to the power of the character itself - i.e. +1 to hit for a character that deals 10 damage with each attack is twice worse than the same bonus for a character that deals 20 damage.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-13, 06:30 AM
AC and saves have some uses, but Damage bonus is worthless too.
A lot of that equipment has power proportional to the power of the character itself - i.e. +1 to hit for a character that deals 10 damage with each attack is twice worse than the same bonus for a character that deals 20 damage.

And yet, +1 is still 100% better than a +0 to attack.

Either way, that's only 1 stat on all of those items. You're still getting static 20% miss chance, mind blank, spell turning, freedom of movement, immunity to death effects, +2 more to initiative (forgot the +3 from dexterity, so that's +5 total), the ability to take another action, and flight. If you want to get fancy, get boots of striding and springing with translocator added on, and you gain 10 ft to both land and air speed, and an immediate action 10 ft teleport.

At the end of the day, you're a level 1 with a d4 hit die fighting cr 10 enemies. You need to focus on not getting hit. If you can get more hp, that's good for when you're unlucky, but not getting hit is always a better tactic than being able to be soak damage. Of course, killing everything before it can touch you is also a viable tactic, so still, as I said, get at least a few offensive items.

ben-zayb
2015-04-13, 07:02 AM
For a low-op answer, here's Darrin's shield (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10294124&postcount=5) as a good old stand-by. Trick it out however you want with fun weapon and shield abilities.

Another versatile choice is Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, hopefully at a custom made higher ML (note that Metamorphosis isn't capped by your HD). For something a bit cheesier, grab the Assume Supernatural Ability feat.

You can also purchase items or trips to magical locations that grant feats, then buy as many pair of chaos-shuffle scrolls for feat-swapping as you need (e.g. the aforementioned cheesy feat).

atemu1234
2015-04-13, 07:32 AM
There are a few things. For one, I'd recommend looking into, instead of dying, coming back as some variety of undead. I'm a fan of Psionic Lich, if Hyperconscious is on the table.

If not, than any sentient undead will do.

Or, you could always try to True Mind Switch with an infant, and maximize your ranks in Bluff. Did that in an evil game, once.