PDA

View Full Version : Build advice

Vichrae
2015-04-12, 08:27 PM
Playing in a 5e campaign that uses the standard stats 15,14,13,12,10,8. We usually don't get past 8-10th level in our campaigns, for a number of reasons.

Considering making a human Rogue/Paladin (assassin/vengeance)...would wear a breastplate and rapier/shield or rapier/shortsword.

Here's the progression:
1: Rogue (expertise in perception & steath)
2: Paladin (medium armor, defense style)
3: Paladin (smite)
4: Rogue
5: Rogue (assassin)
6: Paladin
7: Rogue (ASI)
8: Paladin (ASI)
9: Paladin (extra atk)
10: Rogue (uncanny dodge)

I'm considering the following feats at 1st:

Alert (though it may make Vow of Enmity redundant since i'd usually be going first in a round for Assassinate)
Lucky (useful for any class)
Dungeon Delver (situationally powerful)

Any thoughts on this build, and recommendations for the level 1 feat?

Sullivan
2015-04-13, 01:11 AM
The one thing I see with your build is you're going to be hurting for spell slots.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-13, 02:18 AM
Playing in a 5e campaign that uses the standard stats 15,14,13,12,10,8. We usually don't get past 8-10th level in our campaigns, for a number of reasons.

Considering making a human Rogue/Paladin (assassin/vengeance)...would wear a breastplate and rapier/shield or rapier/shortsword.

Here's the progression:
1: Rogue (expertise in perception & steath)
2: Paladin (medium armor, defense style)
3: Paladin (smite)
4: Rogue
5: Rogue (assassin)
6: Paladin
7: Rogue (ASI)
8: Paladin (ASI)
9: Paladin (extra atk)
10: Rogue (uncanny dodge)

I'm considering the following feats at 1st:

Alert (though it may make Vow of Enmity redundant since i'd usually be going first in a round for Assassinate)
Lucky (useful for any class)
Dungeon Delver (situationally powerful)

Any thoughts on this build, and recommendations for the level 1 feat?

Ask your DM how assassinate will work in their games. There are some complication with the vagueness of the surprise round rules and initiative. Also ask your DM how they want you to handle the paladin side.

How about for level 1 Tavern Brawler? Fluff the shield as a buckler and twf with it? 1d4 damage light weapon should work.

Also rapiers are finesse weapons but not light weapons. You need a light weapon to TWF.

If you take the twf feat at first level you could pick up two rapiers. Two weapon fighting is useful for Rogue and Paladins to get off the sneak attack or smite attacks.

You might also want to drop paladin and go cleric. This way you can be a Dex/Con/Wis (perception) based character and get better spells for when you are MAD. Also with this you could drop Dex down to 12 and get your Str up while wearing heavy armor. All your defensive abilities will help (proficiency Dex save, evasion, uncanny dodge) and you won't need a huge Dex to take advantage of them.

Just a thought since your Rogue/Paladin will be crazy MAD.

The one thing I see with your build is you're going to be hurting for spell slots.

Rogue makes up for lack of spells. That paladin will be mobile and crazy defensive.

Ardantis
2015-04-13, 12:48 PM
Like it! Would consider a ranged weapon bc you can still sa and assassinate a range. Otherwise it'll burst heavy a few times a day.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-13, 01:07 PM
How are you going to afford all of those feats with standard array and still have decent stats? One of the biggest concerns for optimization in 5e is making sure you have max stats in your primary statistics, since those influence everything.

Standard array makes it difficult to have more than one primary stat, and I wouldn't play anything but a SAD character with that stat array. I think a pure rogue would be a stronger character with those stats, and it would enable you to pick up the feats you want.

And rogues don't really need dungeon delver, IMO.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-13, 01:37 PM
Why is that?

They already have very good dexterity saves and can afford to take expertise in skills that will benefit them more. Dungeon delver is only good in certain situations while alert or observant and perception expertise, for instance, would basically make it so that you notice nearly everything and don't need to worry about traps.

If your DM is really trap - happy and many of them are not dexterity saves, then I could see reason for Dungeon delver.

sigfile
2015-04-13, 01:41 PM
Between smite, sneak attack, and vow of enmity, you want a source of off-turn attacks. Check out the sentinel feat.

Person_Man
2015-04-13, 01:58 PM
Paladin/Rogue really doesn't make much sense. Paladin needs spell slots and Extra Attack for more damage, Rogue needs Sneak Attack (which is limited to Finesse and Ranged weapons).

Given the standard array, I'd go with strait Rogue instead, since the Paladin is MAD. Here's a guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?395706-Person_Man%92s-5E-Rogue-Guide) you might find helpful.

-Jynx-
2015-04-13, 03:04 PM
I agree with above that you're best of going solo rogue. That being said if you still wanted to pursue this build I'd probably say take rogue to 3 before MCing just so you'll have assassinate and won't feel as lacking between levels 4-6.

If you chose LF halfling instead of human you'd at least be able to have 17Dex, 14Con and 14Cha and halflings lucky (while not nearly as good as the lucky feat) would at least help on 1s. Since you'll be very MAD you're better off raising your main stats as much as possible.

Would you want to be wearing medium armor anyways? Anything that gives disadvantage to stealth would make your expertise in it much less effective. I'd imagine you'd be better off in studded leather and put on a shield once you've dipped into paladin to up your AC?

Just my thoughts... I don't even know how much if any the above would help.